News:

"In closing, we have the best hobby ever. The End."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuthirin

What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Corwin

-Do Favored Souls have ACFs for stuff other than weapon focus/spec? Specifically, I'm asking about wings and energy resistance.

-Divine Retribution [Complete Champion p119-120]. If that spell is fine, what would be the energy and ability for Angharradh?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

There's a drow one for energy resistance and a dragon one for wings. Favored Souls never got much attention.

Acid and Wisdom. I can't really figure out how they determined who gets what with that spell, so I'm just going to borrow Corellon Larethian's selection. As a total aside, I really hate how Complete Champion has abilities/spells/classes that try to fit for every deity and has long tables to go with it. There's too many things they want to be one size fits all and yet unique to each power.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

A reminder about how Air, Water and Plant domain powers would look.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on October 08, 2011, 05:00:38 PM
A reminder about how Air, Water and Plant domain powers would look.

Didn't we have some discussion about these in this topic or another a little while ago? Could you find it and paste it for me, I'm coming up empty.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Anastasia

Quick and dirty, I'll write and pretty this up when it is put into rules.

Air: +2 hit/damage versus creatures with the earth subtype.
Water: +2 hit/damage versus creatures with the fire subtype.
Plant: You may use speak with plants 1/day as a spell like ability.

Air and Water follow the pattern set by the Moon domain while Plant mimics the Animal domain.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Dune, which of the following spells are eligible? Do any of them need any changes, or are they good as is?

Spell Compendium:
Blood to Water [SC p35], Divine Insight [SC p70], Heat Drain [SC p112-113], Holy Transformation [SC p116], Ring of Blades [SC p177], Zealot Pact [SC p244]

Player's Handbook II:
Alter Fortune [PHB2 p102], Black Karma Curse [PHB2 p104], Blessing of the Righteous [PHB2 p105], Chain Dispel [PHB2 p106-107], Condemnation [PHB2 p108], Insight of Good Fortune [PHB2 p116], Meteoric Strike [PHB2 p121], Magic Convalescence [PHB2 p119], Stretch Weapon [PHB2 p127], Visions of the Future [PHB2 p129]

Complete Champion:
Benediction [CC p116], Bewildering Mischance [CC p116], Bleed [CC p117], Confound [CC p118], Dampen Magic [CC], Darts of Life [CC p118-119], Divine Presence [CC p119], Divine Retribution [CC p119-120], Execration [CC p120], Light of Courage [CC p123], Spiritual Guardian [CC p127-128], Surge of Fortune [CC p128-129], Turn Anathema [CC p129], Weight of Sin [CC p129-130]

Anastasia

Blood to Water is fine, it was used on you in Balmuria 1 if I recall right.

Divine Insight is fine. Annalise uses it this game, and it's been used by Eudard, Balyss and others in previous ones.

Heat Drain is fine.

Holy Transformation is fine as is. HOWEVER! It should have the lawful descriptor, as it transforms you into an archon. This is an alignment problem for you.

Ring of Blades is fine. Damage reduction largely shuts it down. Even a devil's damage reduction would, as it lacks the good descriptor.

Zealot Pact is fine, but the XP to GP conversion makes it largely worthless to you. I mean, if you want to blow hunks of money on this you're free to, but it's not cheap.

No to Alter Fortune. I'd rather not have you guys spending gold to force rerolls, nor is that a spell that I'd abandon some cost to. Adding it to the banned spells list.

Black Karma Curse is fine.

Blessing of the Righteous is fine.

Chain Dispel is fine.

Condemnation is fine.

No to Insight of Fortune.

Meteoric Strike is fine.

Magic Convalescence is fine. There's probably some way or another this can be broken, but there's nothing really objectionable to it otherwise.

I'll post about Stretch Weapon later, I need to check it against something else.

No to Visions of the Future. An (debateably) upgraded Moment of Prescience for clerics isn't needed.

Benediction isn't really broken by itself, but do you really need to be able to re-roll saving throws on demand?

Bleed is fine.

Confound is fine.

Does Dampen Magic apply only to incoming spells and attacks or to the beneficiary as well?

Darts of Life is fine.

Divine Presence is fine. I nearly took this one for Yuria but it didn't work out, if I recall right.

I already ruled on Divine Retribution...well no, I ruled on what your deity's effect would be. The spell's fine under those guidelines; acid/wisdom damage.

Execration is fine.

I'm not sure on Light of Courage. This is designed for normal turning, +x damage on turning that already deals damage requires a different sense of balance. If you want this spell say so and I'll take a closer look at it.

Spiritual Guardian is fine.

No to Surge of Fortune.

I have no problem with Turn Anathema, but it would need to be tweaked for the alternate turning we use.

No to Weight of Sin. That spell gives me a headache and has polymorph stuff in it. I really just don't want to deal with detangling that.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Thanks for glancing at them all for me~

-A lot of things were used on me.  >_>  I still feel amusement over being nailed to the sky (and saving against it).

-Can Holy Transformation transform people into a suitable CG celestial instead, whatever that might be?

-Dampen Magic seems to be a defensive function built using SR as a template, so I'd figure it'd follow the same rules? Another possibility is that it follows Antimagic Field rules throughout. Your call, of course.

-Wouldn't Turn Anathema just damage devils (well, evil outsiders) as if they were undead while healing non-evil outsiders (except for me) within the turning radius with our current rules?

-A shame about the anti-devil WoS, but I guess their chances of saving are high anyway.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on October 11, 2011, 06:41:56 PM-A lot of things were used on me.  >_>  I still feel amusement over being nailed to the sky (and saving against it).

Ah, fond memories.

Quote-Can Holy Transformation transform people into a suitable CG celestial instead, whatever that might be?

There's no eladrin that quite fits that range. Courres are 2 HD and Firre are 8 HD. Movanic Devas at 7 HD would fit better there. http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,101746.msg1024888.html#msg1024888 Do a version of it with this, the changes needed should be minimal.

Rest later.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Holy Transformation/Movanic Deva

This spell functions like lesser holy transformation (SC p116), but when you cast this spell, you assume the physical appearance and many of the qualities and abilities of a movanic deva (http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,101746.msg1024888.html#msg1024888). While under the effect of the spell, your creature type changes to outsider (good) and your size changes to Medium. You have the space and reach of a movanic deva (5ft/5ft). You gain a +4 sacred bonus to Strength and Constitution. You gain darkvision out to 60ft. You gain a +4 sacred bonus on saving throws. You gain damage reduction 5/evil. Anyone within ten feet of you gains a +4 deflection bonus to AC and a +4 resistance bonus to saves against attacks made or effects created by evil creatures.

---

Transmutation [Good]
Level: Cleric 7
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/level (D)

The big difference seems to be that the devas lack an archon's Aura of Menace and instead have a Protective Aura like angels. I used that, but I could go with Divine Equilibrium instead, if you'd like.

Anastasia

That's fine. I'll pretty it up and add to houserules this weekend.

---

Gaelach aside, I'm going to retrain Adrian soon. The Combat Focus/Form feats haven't been useful and I forget about them half the damn time anyway. I may switch his primary weapon to greatswords and keep Skullcross Cleaver as a backup, haven't decided. Feats he wants:

Improved Initiative
Telling Blow
Improved Critical(Greatsword) (Barring a reliable constant way to improve his crit range with a greatsword)
No idea on a fourth.

The feats open are (1), (3), (F6) and (12). Suggestions welcomed. (3) will go to Telling Blow and F6 will probably take Improved Initiative, while (12) gets Improved Critical. So that leaves his level 1 feat open.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

WEAPON FOCUS is always good
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

He already has it and more. He has 6 levels of fighter. <_<
<Afina> Forever.