News:

"It occured to me while drunk, so it must have been genius."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merc

QuoteIthea's chaotic neutral, but but doesn't really pass muster into anarchic. The drive for that isn't there, nor is any dedication.
I'm very dedicated! I'm just not dedicated to extreme silliness! =p
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

Quote from: Merc on February 17, 2012, 09:56:49 PM
QuoteIthea's chaotic neutral, but but doesn't really pass muster into anarchic. The drive for that isn't there, nor is any dedication.
I'm very dedicated! I'm just not dedicated to extreme silliness! =p

Snerk. Somewhere a slaad just got annoyed. Maybe.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Re: Sunday gaming.

I think I'm going to try this for this Sunday, at least for Muirfinn and Ithea, so they can get some delayed things done. We'll see how that goes and I'll decide if this is needed on a more permanent basis.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Anastasia on February 17, 2012, 08:05:03 PM
Quote from: Yuthirin on February 17, 2012, 12:31:57 PMSecondly, is there a difference between most ressurrection spells and True Ressurrection in your world? This has been scratching at the inside of my head for a while, but I only seem to remember it when I bed down for the night. I wrote it down last night to remind myself. o_o

Just Resurrection. It's in Resurrection Rules in houserules, I'll paste it here. It works a lot like True Resurrection but is contingent on divine will and uncertain chances. (Aside, if druids get the res line(forget if they do), they'd get access to this spell too. Do they get it or is it just reincarnate for them?) Generally this spell has to be specially requested and granted by a deity to do so. I've been ignoring this for Healers (and thus the Jarl) half on accident and half on purpose.  I sort of like that, I admit, since it gives the Healer another reason to exist. I digress, though.

Resurrection[spoiler]

Resurrection
Level: Clr 6
Components: V, S, M, DF
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: Touch
Target: Dead creature touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None.
Spell Resistance: No.

This spell raises the dead. This spell can even bring back creatures whose bodies have been destroyed, provided that you unambiguously identify the deceased in some fashion (reciting the deceased's time and place of birth or death is the most common method).

Upon completion of the spell, the creature is immediately restored to full hit points, vigor, and health, with no loss of level (or Constitution points) or prepared spells. Status conditions are removed unless stated otherwise. You can revive someone killed by a death effect or someone who has been turned into an undead creature and then destroyed. This spell cannot resurrect elementals or outsiders,nor can it resurrect constructs or undead creatures. In any case, the creature must succeed on a resurrection chance check or the spell fails.

This spell cannot be selected freely. A cleric can request it if they wish, but only their patron can decide if it should be allowed. At other times, a suitable cleric will find themselves granted with this spell, often with a stark vision of what is to be done with it.

Material Component

A droplet of fresh blood from the caster, to symbolize the rebirth given from the Gods.

Druids have Greater Reincarnate in a splatbook somewhere, MotW? I think.

So TR DOES exist, but it's a superdivine spell? I can live with that.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Greater Reincarnate is probably fine pending checking it.

True Resurrection is essentially Resurrection, the paradigm shifted. Anything else generally falls into divine intervention and isn't worth codifying with a spell. The practical difference is nil and none.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

GR is the same, just giving some control over what they reincarnate as.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on February 17, 2012, 11:19:20 PM
GR is the same, just giving some control over what they reincarnate as.

It's True Reincarnate and it's in Masters of the Wild. I'm fine with it. Same res chance applies to reincarnations, though, bear in mind.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Updated Tannin's reports. This one wasn't too deep since the info was given IC and it's ultimately unremarkable as far as you can tell.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

As followup on alignments, can you help me understand the meaning of the distinction, say like in the following example? It seems commonly accepted that a good paladin will generally hold himself to a higher standard than a regular good character. So how would he compare to an exalted one? To an exalted paladin? All following the same deity/ideals, to avoid the apples and oranges situation. With the chaotic/anarchic response, you seemed to suggest that the extreme means you are partially blinded to opposing ideas or pursue your own so strongly that you ignore such things. Is that a correct understanding? It's essentially zealotry, without the negative connotation of the term?

Quote from: Anastasia on February 17, 2012, 08:11:00 PM
Quote from: Corwin on February 17, 2012, 01:40:37 PM
For the Dispelling Cord (MIC p94), can it come in a version that does activation as a free action instead of a swift one?

Not without rebalancing it and reworking it entirely. It's possible, but the resulting cord would likely be markedly more expensive. I'd have to figure out how they priced it and work from there. Hold on a few for that.

I'd appreciate a look at this, then. My counterspelling method is superior so I'm not going to whine about it, but the way I use it sort of precludes swift actions. If I can afford the new cost, I'd prefer something that meshed more smoothly with my counterspelling style.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

Quote from: Anastasia on December 11, 2011, 09:18:41 PM
Quote from: Corwin on December 09, 2011, 05:59:54 PM
-Distances. How far am I to Enemy X and the like. How about using relative distances? Pick a reference point, say the enemy army's first ranks, and list the relative distance in an ooc channel or in the init order. For example:

Afina(25)>Ogre and Goblin army(24)>Willim(20)>Misalea=Jaela(19)>Ithea(10)>Red-haired woman

would thus become:

Afina(25, 100ft)>Ogre and Goblin army(24)>Willim(20, 260ft)>Misalea=Jaela(19, 500ft)>Ithea(10, 500ft)>Red-haired woman (20ft)

Even if the battle isn't linear or is fought in 3D, it can work since you can say distances are oversimplified for convenience's sake. Since the same thing applies to everyone involved, it should be fair enough, and as we're not using models or a map it's not like we reliably keep track of it anyway.

That's a good thought and I'll implement something like that. The exact form of it is to be decided, but you have a fine idea.

Quote-Full attack. Once armies inter-penetrate, how about saying that X enemies are always within melee range? Say 2 within 5ft, 3 within 10ft, 5 within 15ft... we can pick whichever numbers we want, but they could be an approximation of who we could attack instead of slowing things down by asking "who's near me?"

Yeah, I came to the same conclusion myself. Once you wade into the lines, you should assume full attacking is automatically possible against the army in general.

What I'm doing is treating the army as a distinct entity with hit points, a range of attack rolls and several attacks per round. It's a fairly simplified system, where hit point damage is shown by slaying members of that army.

Quote-Flanking. Same as above, with our troops all mixed up, how about stating when flanking happens? We can say it always takes place, or that it takes place with say half of the opponents (if we use the above suggestion, then of the 2 opponents within 5ft, one would have an ally on the other side and the other wouldn't).

Flanking is much trickier, depending on the lines, tactics involved and a lot of things. Let me see if I can work something out here.

Quote-Some sort of incentive for using anything but melee or attacks against 'named' enemy characters would be nice. If, instead of advancing steadily, keeping my troops safe and then engaging in melee I had instead used my long-ranged Radiant Assault to annihilate 20ft radiuses of mooks each turn? Here, I didn't feel it'd do much of a difference, but I think using something so powerful should provide better results than just another melee attack. It might help if we actually knew how we win battles. This one ended when Afina took out the boss. Is that all we need to do, then, and the rest is pointless? I want to say no, but I'm not sure how else we can win, or how our actions can affect the outcome against a faceless horde of goons we can't even count.

EDIT: To clarify this more, I figure that before we even talk about choosing better options than melee, how about establishing some basic win conditions for army battles? Capture the flag, take out the enemy commander and the like. If we had any sort of real, measurable indication of how well the battle was going and how much of a push we needed to seal the deal, what I posted about in the paragraph above should be really easy to define.

Good idea. Let me work on that as well.

Just wanted to remind you about this. Here's the original post, in case the quotes within a quotes look too ugly.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

QuoteI'd appreciate a look at this, then. My counterspelling method is superior so I'm not going to whine about it, but the way I use it sort of precludes swift actions. If I can afford the new cost, I'd prefer something that meshed more smoothly with my counterspelling style.

Turns out the MIC doesn't show its work (and is actually against it), so I ended up having to do this from scratch. I went with bonus squared times 1000. A +1 competence bonus to dispel checks is 1,000, +2 is 4,000, +3 is 9,000, +4 is 16,000 and +5 is 25,000 gold. The progression would continue to +6 and beyond in epic, I suppose.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

1. Probably for battles that need it, yes. It would've been nice for Bloodletting Peak, though I don't think it would've been needed for Ithea's ambush due to the closeness of the battle. Forgot all about it, should remember it for the next battle.

2. Still using that, and using variants of it with group attack rules.

3. Will deal with that next army/big battle.

4. Yeah, will come up with the next army battle.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Posting this here for future reference.

<Yuthirin> Ko, any word on that Tortoise Shell spell?
> It stacks. None of the shapeshift bonuses for natural armor mention enhancement bonus.
> Bear in mind the penalty it inflicts to movement speed, though. Would probably wanna combo it with a speed booster.
* Laggy is now known as AbrahamLincolnVampireHunter
<Merc> post
<Yuthirin> Alriiiight.
<Yuthirin> I might prep it later then.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

1. Cor, I'll answer that alignment post a little later. I haven't had the wherewithal to dive into it.

2. Merc/Yuth, there was discussion on who you'd take back with you for Marambor. Anything settled yet?
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin