News:

You have made a powerful enemy today, stop sign.

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephrite

Some ideas for Dune/Cor, not sure these are balanced/good/whatever

This is just an upscaled Sunburst with extra effects that work on evil creatures. It might be too strong as 11th? I dunno.

Searing Radiance
Evocation [Light]
Level:   Drd 11, Sor/Wiz 11, Clr 11 (Sun?)
Components:   V, S, M/DF
Casting Time:   1 standard action
Range:   Long (600 ft. + 60 ft./level)
Area:   120-ft.-radius burst
Duration:   Instantaneous
Saving Throw:   Fortitude; see text
Spell Resistance:   Yes

Searing Radiance greates a sudden burst of radiant light in the area you designate. All evil creatures in the radius are blinded and take 9d6 points of damage. Creatures to which light, such as sunlight, is harmful or unnatural take double damage. A successful fortitude save negates the blindness and reduces the damage by half.

An undead creature caught within the globe takes 1d6 points of damage per caster level (maximum 30d6), or half damage if a Fortitude save is successful. In addition, the burst results in the destruction of any undead creature specifically harmed by bright light if it fail its save.

In addition, the radiant light heals any good creatures in the area affected for the same amount as the damage roll on the spell.

Searing Radiance also dispels any darkness spells of level 11th or lower.

Illuminated Wall
Conjuration [Light]
Level: Clr 11, Drd 11, Sor/Wiz 11
Component: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (75 ft. + 5 ft./level)
Area: 20 ft (+4 ft./level)
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None; see text
Spell Resistance: None

This spell functions as a wall of force except as noted here.

This wall is also not invisible, and appears as a sparkling array of bright light.

If the wall is destroyed by a disintegration effect, it will explode in a blinding array of light. Any creature within 30 feet of the wall must succeed on a Fortitude save or be blinded for 4 rounds.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on January 09, 2017, 03:42:25 PM
[21:16] <@Rin> I'm hoping to chat about stuff and maybe get some ideas, so whenever you're up for it
[21:21] <@Kotono> Okay, do you at least have any niches or things you need?
[21:30] <@Rin> Last time we took care of an anti-devil spell and a 'stop running away' spell
[21:31] <@Rin> Gae Assail is pretty good for a single target, especially with targets I don't like
[21:33] <@Rin> A large-scale anti-army spell might be nice
[21:33] <@Rin> Something with earthquake and sunburst's range or beyond

From IRC, this is clarified to be more meaning area of effect. So wide area of effect spells, okay. Let's take this one since it's also an 11th level spell and look at it.

QuoteSharran Nightfall
Necromancy [Evil]
Level: Clr 11
Components: V, S, DF
Range: 1 mile radius centered on you
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

All living creatures within the radius (except for worshipers of Shar and servants of Shar) are permanently blinded and deafened. Those blinded forever see the unholy symbol of Shar and nothing else, while those deafened only hear a song that beckons everything towards oblivion. Creatures subjected to either of these for over a month's time inevitably turn suicidal and seek to act on those urges.

Ignoring that the spell is horrifying a sec, is this what you had in mind for range/area of effect? Smaller? Bigger?

Also this spell is borderline a vile spell, I may revise that. Note to self.

Quote[21:34] * @Kotono nods.
[21:34] <@Kotono> So something anti army. Anything else?
[21:34] <@Rin> Maybe light?
[21:35] <@Rin> Say battlefield control with light?

A little more direction there would help. What do you want to do with light? Blinding is the most obvious application, though that reminds me of the spell blinding glory or whatever from the BoED. 9th level, same thing you want, just on a slightly smaller scale. I do mean slightly, since it's 100ft/level if I recall. Ebony used it to hold back all the unpleasant darknesses Secretus's domain had.

If you have something more exotic in your head, say so.

Quote[21:35] <@Rin> Vul'lath made that multiple moments of prescience spell
[21:35] <@Rin> So something that lets me make walls of force for the duration?
[21:35] <@Kotono> That's an idea too.
[21:35] <@Rin> Or prismatic ones? Or whichever
[21:36] * @Kotono nods.
[21:36] <@Rin> Like maybe one per round, free action
[21:36] <@Rin> Or an actual action, but controls/creates more than one
[21:36] * @Kotono nods again.
[21:38] <@Kotono> Okay, toss this conversation into nagging and I'll have it there when I get to this then.

As a general rule, I'm not going to approve anything that further abuses the action economy.

For reference, the barebones of what you suggest is one of Mei's warlock powers. You know the one. Depending on duration I'd put that at 7th to 8th level. Can be narrowed down from there a little more, so go ahead and make a choice between prismatic, force or another type of wall.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

I greatly appreciate the input, even if I'm a little rough on them below.

---

Quote from: Nephrite on January 16, 2017, 01:27:07 PM
Some ideas for Dune/Cor, not sure these are balanced/good/whatever

This is just an upscaled Sunburst with extra effects that work on evil creatures. It might be too strong as 11th? I dunno.

Searing Radiance
Evocation [Light]
Level:   Drd 11, Sor/Wiz 11, Clr 11 (Sun?)
Components:   V, S, M/DF
Casting Time:   1 standard action
Range:   Long (600 ft. + 60 ft./level)
Area:   120-ft.-radius burst
Duration:   Instantaneous
Saving Throw:   Fortitude; see text
Spell Resistance:   Yes

Searing Radiance greates a sudden burst of radiant light in the area you designate. All evil creatures in the radius are blinded and take 9d6 points of damage. Creatures to which light, such as sunlight, is harmful or unnatural take double damage. A successful fortitude save negates the blindness and reduces the damage by half.

An undead creature caught within the globe takes 1d6 points of damage per caster level (maximum 30d6), or half damage if a Fortitude save is successful. In addition, the burst results in the destruction of any undead creature specifically harmed by bright light if it fail its save.

In addition, the radiant light heals any good creatures in the area affected for the same amount as the damage roll on the spell.

Searing Radiance also dispels any darkness spells of level 11th or lower.

One relevant problem and why I didn't just make a sunburst+3 spell: Sunburst isn't a cleric spell. It's available to the sun domain, but it's no a mainline cleric spell. It's a druid spell, a sorcerer/wizard spell and a sun domain spell, but not a cleric spell.

It's also likely irrelevant with sunlance around, though I'd have to compare the spells to see how they stack up.

QuoteIlluminated Wall
Conjuration [Light]
Level: Clr 11, Drd 11, Sor/Wiz 11
Component: V, S, F
Range: Medium (75 ft. + 5 ft./level)
Area: 20 ft (+4 ft./level)

This spell functions as a wall of force except as noted here.

This wall is also not invisible, and appears as a sparkling array of bright light.

If the wall is destroyed by a disintegration effect, it will explode in a blinding array of light. Any creature within 30 feet of the wall must succeed on a Fortitude save or be blinded for 4 rounds.

That's a neat idea, though not close to an 11th level spell. Probably 7th or so, maybe? That's only because disintegration is one of the go-to ways of beating wall of force.

Also medium range is 100ft + 10ft/level.

What's the focus supposed to be?

How come it's a cleric, druid and sorcerer/wizard spell, when the original is purely a sorcerer/wizard spell?
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

I forgot to remove the Focus aspect, since I simply borrowed it from the Dire Winter spell, so it probably shouldn't have one.

As for the rest, a big shrug on that since it feels like Sunburst ought to just fall into a Cleric's repertoire without too much fuss.

Here's another badly formatted spell.

Wall of Greater Dispel Magic, Mass
Abjuration
Level: Clr 11, Sor/Wiz 11
Component: V, S
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect: One 10ft. square wall/level

This spell functions as Wall of Greater Dispel Magic except as noted here. The caster may choose to create the walls in any pattern they wish, including making a cube of walls (this would require 6 uses to cover a 10ft area, for example).

Yuthirin

Quote from: Nephrite on January 16, 2017, 01:54:20 PM
I forgot to remove the Focus aspect, since I simply borrowed it from the Dire Winter spell, so it probably shouldn't have one.

As for the rest, a big shrug on that since it feels like Sunburst ought to just fall into a Cleric's repertoire without too much fuss.

Abjuration

This spell functions as Wall of Greater Dispel Magic except as noted here. The caster may choose to create the walls in any pattern they wish, including making a cube of walls (this would require 6 uses to cover a 10ft area, for example).

This sounds like something that can't be dispelled. Can you dispel a dispel?
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Nephrite

The entry for Wall of Dispel Magic doesn't mention anything about it acting like a wall of force, so I would presume you could just dispel it, yes.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on January 16, 2017, 01:00:41 PM
I consider insight and sacred to be interchangeable here for total power level, as both are non-enhancement bonuses. This one trades it improving to a touch spell over personal/you in exchange for dropping the burst option righteous halo has. The duration differences are trivial at this level. I might include a non-costly material component to slightly rebalance the spell and add some flavor (as in one eschew materials would cover, as well as a spell component pouch). You could use this basic template for the other three spells, since it's basically the same thing with different ability score bonuses.

How do these look:

Insight of the Dragon Princess
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 8
Components: V, S
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

As you cast this spell, the image of Seira wraps around the creature touched's head. The target of this spell gains a +4 insight bonus to Wisdom.

Agility of the Dragon Princess
Transmutation
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: No

Drawing on the inspiration of the Dragon Princess Seira, you imbue the creature touched with a drop of her draconic grace. The target of this spell gains a +4 sacred bonus to Dexterity.

Strength of the Dragon Princess
Transmutation

As you cast this spell a great roar of power sounds in the distance; an echo of Seira's call to battle. The target of this spell gains a +4 sacred bonus to Strength.

Mind of the Dragon Princess
Transmutation

As you cast this spell the sound of pages turning sounds and a feeling of understanding settles over you. The target of this spell gains a +4 insight bonus to Intelligence.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on January 02, 2017, 09:10:58 AM
Quote from: Iron Dragoon on December 21, 2016, 12:14:12 AM
Dune, what do you think of this? It's just a copied/upgraded version. I wasn't sure what level to make it, seeing as how you disliked the hijinks of the uncapped version.

Mighty Wallop, Superior
Transmutation
Level: Sorcerer 10, Wizard 10, Spellthief 10
Components: V, S, AF,
Target: One bludgeoning melee weapon
Duration: 24 hours
Saving Throw: None (object)
Spell Resistance: No (object)

As Mighty Wallop (Greater), except that the bludgeoning melee weapon damage increases by four size categories.

Focus: A melee weapon.

Something like that's okay. I'll work up a version of it in a little bit, need to crunch a few things.

Did you get around to finishing this? Relevant because war.

Iron Dragoon

Everyone attached to the tapestry, I need you to tell me which of these elemental benefits you want (Afina excluded, she gets them all already anyway):

Air: Fly at your normal speed (perfect maneuverability), air mastery (airborne creatures take a —1 penalty on attack rolls and damage rolls against you).

Earth: Earth mastery (you gain a +1 bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls if both you and your foe touch the ground), push (you can start a bull rush maneuver without provoking attacks of opportunity), +3 natural armor bonus to AC.

Fire: Fire immunity, burn (those you hit in melee and those who attack you with natural weapons must make a Reflex save or catch fire, with a save DC equal to that of a fire elemental of the same size).

Water: Water: Swim at your normal speed, water mastery (you gain a +1 bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls if both you and your opponent touch water), drench (you can use your elemental form to put out nonmagical open flames and dispel magical fire you touch as if casting dispel magic at your caster level).

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on January 16, 2017, 01:54:20 PM

Abjuration

That's a pretty neat idea for a mass wall spell. Lemme try.

Mass Wall of Greater Dispel Magic
Abjuration
Level: Clr 11 Sor/Wiz 11
Components: V, S, DF
Range: Long (400ft + 40ft/level)
Effect: One wall/two levels up to 10ft square in area per level per wall; see text
Saving Throw: None

This spell creates many walls of greater dispel magic, one per two caster levels (maximum 15). The caster may choose to create the walls in any pattern they wish, including making a cube of walls to trap a creature within them. Each wall is independent and does not need to touch the other walls, though walls that touch become one contiguous wall.

---

This might need a bit more clarifying text, but it works. It's largely overkill, but it works. Neat.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on January 16, 2017, 07:08:10 PM
The entry for Wall of Dispel Magic doesn't mention anything about it acting like a wall of force, so I would presume you could just dispel it, yes.

That's correct. You can dispel a wall of dispel magic normally.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on January 16, 2017, 07:22:58 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on January 16, 2017, 01:00:41 PM
I consider insight and sacred to be interchangeable here for total power level, as both are non-enhancement bonuses. This one trades it improving to a touch spell over personal/you in exchange for dropping the burst option righteous halo has. The duration differences are trivial at this level. I might include a non-costly material component to slightly rebalance the spell and add some flavor (as in one eschew materials would cover, as well as a spell component pouch). You could use this basic template for the other three spells, since it's basically the same thing with different ability score bonuses.

How do these look:

Transmutation

As you cast this spell, the image of Seira wraps around the creature touched's head. The target of this spell gains a +4 insight bonus to Wisdom.

Transmutation

Drawing on the inspiration of the Dragon Princess Seira, you imbue the creature touched with a drop of her draconic grace. The target of this spell gains a +4 sacred bonus to Dexterity.

Transmutation

As you cast this spell a great roar of power sounds in the distance; an echo of Seira's call to battle. The target of this spell gains a +4 sacred bonus to Strength.

Transmutation

As you cast this spell the sound of pages turning sounds and a feeling of understanding settles over you. The target of this spell gains a +4 insight bonus to Intelligence.

Why is one spell SR: Yes (harmless) and the other three aren't? Should be the same for consistency.

That's fine. I'd suggest using insight bonuses across the board or making the ones with a sacred bonus have the good descriptor.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

It has it on one because I dunno. I C/P'd something and I think I messed it up, but yeah. SR: Yes (Harmless) is fine across the board.
I'm good with changing them all to insight as well.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on January 16, 2017, 07:31:43 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on January 02, 2017, 09:10:58 AM
Quote from: Iron Dragoon on December 21, 2016, 12:14:12 AM
Dune, what do you think of this? It's just a copied/upgraded version. I wasn't sure what level to make it, seeing as how you disliked the hijinks of the uncapped version.

Mighty Wallop, Superior
Transmutation
Level: Sorcerer 10, Wizard 10, Spellthief 10
Components: V, S, AF,
Target: One bludgeoning melee weapon
Duration: 24 hours
Saving Throw: None (object)
Spell Resistance: No (object)

As Mighty Wallop (Greater), except that the bludgeoning melee weapon damage increases by four size categories.

Focus: A melee weapon.

Something like that's okay. I'll work up a version of it in a little bit, need to crunch a few things.

Did you get around to finishing this? Relevant because war.

Superior Mighty Wallop
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 10, Spellthief 10

As greater mighty wallop, except the bludgeoning melee weapon damage increases by four size categories.

<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Transmutation

Transmutation

Drawing on the inspiration of the Dragon Princess Seira, you imbue the creature touched with a drop of her draconic grace. The target of this spell gains a +4 insight bonus to Dexterity.

Transmutation

As you cast this spell a great roar of power sounds in the distance; an echo of Seira's call to battle. The target of this spell gains a +4 insight bonus to Strength.

Transmutation