VN Art C&C thread

Started by Agasa, May 13, 2012, 08:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agasa

So, as you can see from the appropriate section I'm being the sprite-and-arts person for a certain VN project. Unfortunately being the only one can be hard - i need some help to get it right, and sometimes flipping the image sideways isn't enough, so i decided to post the pictures i work on here to receive critique.

For most of them i sense something is "wrong" but i can't see what, so help me. I already know that Sakanaka has a pointy chin, so don't mention it, i'll fix it - incidentally, she's the only sprite i don't find anything wrong with, but please point out any imperfections you may find.

Most of the stuff i post will be sprites, so they'll have a variety of expressions, that i'll omit. If you want to see them, ask. For some of them, parts will be, er, recycled from other sources. Let's start!

Kanae In Nightgown:
No Clothes Kyon (and spurious scar, ignore it):
Toweled Mikuru:
Latest Sakanaka:
Badass Mori:
Yamane:
Ryuugu Ryo:
Kyon, logo silhouette:
Chibi Kyon, with coat:

thepanda

At a glance, Beefy!Kyon has a few issues. His head and body have dissimilar proportions. And the body looks like it is drawn in a different style.

How to say this without being offensive...

The abs. The shading on the abs make it look like his skin is being pulled back. >_>

Mikuru and Kanae are super cute!

Agasa

The proportions are taken from his clothed sprites,  so I'm not sure how to fix that... for the broken shading I accept suggestions gladly. What about the other sprites?

Kt3

A bit late here, but...

It's the lines.  They're not consistent in thickness and color, and it makes the styles look vastly different.  This is most obvious on Kyon, but it pops up in all of the other pictures.

Here, maybe this'll make more sense:

In addition, using a thinner line and lighter shade will make the character look far softer.
I think we live our lives in other people's hearts and minds. Alone by ourselves we're not very much good at all. But when we let someone else in with their stories and all their sights and sounds and songs and smells and sensations, we suddenly start filling our shelves and boxes with books and books of them and building up our libraries.

Rogh-sensei

Is this project supposed to be entirely internal or can I bring in artists to work on original spritework based on the source material. For example, someone to do up a base sprite set for the Anti-SOS-Dan?

Filraen

Rogh-sensei: Feel free to do so.

Rogh-sensei

OK. I've got my potential some source mats and the links to the extant project, he's supposed to do a Kuyou sprite as a test case. We'll see where it goes.