News:

"In closing, we have the best hobby ever. The End."

Main Menu

Balmuria fluff and flavor

Started by Anastasia, May 10, 2014, 02:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

This is a question and answer session between Kascha of the Cauldron and the Guardian of 21. It is included here as a curiosity, as it touches on many varied and unusual topics. It should be noted the Guardian is not a linear creature, as shown by answering Kascha's questions before she even spoke or thought of them. The questions weren't really thought through for this reason. Also, the Guardian is not a mortal creature and has a unique outlook and way of answering some questions.

Kascha's questions are on the left and the Guardian's answers are on the right. They're separated by a single colon. Spacing is included to separate sections of questions that are related.

1. Is there a way for Good to win: Yes there is.
2. Is it possible for any of us to do it: No it isn't.
3. Why: It is extremely difficult, if the questions were simple the conflicts would never have been between Good and Evil. It isn't about strength as much as ideas. The idea of Good has to utterly defeat the idea of Evil.
4. Does that mean we need to kill the Gods of Evil and the fiend lords: You could, and if you did, it would be a huge victory, but another would come as you've only slain a symptom of the underlying cause.
5. Which side do you think is right: I don't know - not even the Incarnations could answer that, and the Incarnation of Law long grappled with the answer to that question.

6. Um, how do you know what I'm asking before I ask it: I am not bound by linear thought or what you define as limits.
7. Well then...um...if you know all the answers, is there a soulmate out there for me: Yes, there is. Several.
8. Several?!: The concept of only one is a mortal conceit. What it describes is how well your spirits resonate with each other.
9. But, what if I meet more than one of them: Does it matter?
10. Who are my soulmates? Tell me who they are: No, I can't, I don't know.
11. How do I find them: Be yourself and pay attention. Connect to other people and you'll find it eventually.
12. What if its someone I don't expect or shouldn't fit: That? A mortal preoccupation.

13. Is Seira a true Goddess?: From your image of her, of course she is one.
14. She's wonderful, but she's so young and not like the other Gods! I don't meant to doubt her, but sometimes I wonder how she can be so nice and unlike most of the others: Age and origin are irrelevant once you have the divine spark.
15. How strong will Seira get? How strong will Donald get? How strong will I get: That I do not know, nor that or that.

16. Where did the Incarnations come from: That question has no meaning to Them, origins are for creatures with limitations.
17. Well, if they didn't come from here, does that mean they came from somewhere else? Another Creation: It may be so, I was created to deal with one part of this Creation.
18. Does that mean its possible: Yes, it is.
19. Are the Three why the number 3 recurs in meaningful ways: An echo of the simple fact of the Three.
20. What about the other numbers: All the others are closer to mortal concepts, but not quite.
21. But aren't they related to the Outer Planes: Ah, anything that is limited is a mortal in my thoughts. The definitions you assign between limited creatures are irrelevant.

22. Can you tell me if there are others besides the Three: Of course I can.
23. Are there: That is not a question I will answer.
24. Why not?!: Because the answer is both forbidden and meaningless to you.

25. Can you tell me more about 21, then: She already knows those answers, ask her.

26. <On reflection Kascha has blotted out this answer. She writes a note saying that this is a personal question.> It may be so, it is not an impossible task. However, I know nothing of it.

27. What do you think of the four competing ethos: They are not stronger than each other, only different.
28. Which one do you think will win: I care nothing for them. Law and Chaos are the concerns of the Incarnations, and Good and Evil are mortal creations.

29. Back to numbers, which ones are most effective against Baator: 6, 7 or 8 work best, particularly in conjunctions of 6 and 8 or 7 and 3.

30. Say, Ithea said the Abyss made dolls of her. Why: Don't even bother with the next question. The Abyss is what it is; those who gaze into it too long find themselves drawn in.

31. You know, you're starting to remind me of a bad date the way you dodge questions: I have never thought of that.
32. Really, you've never thought about having a date: It is irrelevant, for procreation is irrelevant to me.
33. But what if you want a wife or children: Should I desire another of myself, the enaction of will shall see to it.
34. Enaction of Will? You mean magic: No, it is not like veins of Mystra.
35. Wait wait wait. What are the veins of Mystra: The Weave.
36. So you can do magic without using magic?! Is that true: It is.
37. How: It needs nothing else to power or justify it. Sources are for limited creatures.
38. You sound like a God more than anything else. Could you even die: I suppose it could be done.
39. How: Besides the will of the Incarnations, the material that could dissolve my awareness is not native to Creation.
40. How would they do it: The Incarnations are not bound to Creation, of course.
41. Could you kill yourself: I suppose I could, but the concept of suicide is irrelevant to me. For that matter, choosing to return from nothingness is possible for me.
42. What, that makes no sense: Awareness as you define it is woefully unprepared to define the awareness of a limitless creature.
43. Wait, you can be both aware and unaware at the same time: Yes. I would be aware and oblivious at the same time.
44. So because you have no limits, you can also ignore the limits we know, including being a single state: Yes, that is why. I can be any number of states at any time.
45. You sound as if you are a non-linear creature: Yes, non-linear is close enough.
46. Then you ignore time as well: Including time, though I largely observe it due to my duties.
47. So could you make us a paradox: I suppose I could, but you would be the ones in danger once you left this place.  Those who cannot manipulate time have no chance against those that can.
48. Could the keepers of the Temporal Compact remove us from history? What about trying again if they lose? How about changing history so we never meet you: Yes, they could do that. Or that. Or that.
49. That makes it sound as if no one can defeat them: That is intentional, I would suppose. It is not a matter I concerned myself with, but my understanding of time would suggest thus.
50. Could you give me the same ability to control and manipulate time: I could, but your mind would shatter from it.
51. I've seen bad things, couldn't I take it: That is quite literal. Filling your mind with over 7,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times 3 of its maximum capacity would cause your brain to liquefy into plasma and burst.
52. Oh Seira...how do you...did you...: No, I have not, though I could simulate it on you if you desire.
53. You bastard, that's...are you making fun of me? Is that a joke: Yes, I suppose that was.

54. Why do you speak about death in such a cavalier manner: Why? Death is merely another state and a particularly weak one. Mortal creatures overcome it all the time, and sometimes even of their own will. It's not a true state as much as a transitory description. Death is a change. Even what you define as oblivion, such as a spirit dying on its home plane, is merely a transference of the spirit's matter to another form.
55. That reminds me. Is it...: Because it is almost impossible to escape that perfect resonation.
56. So it's what I thought: Yes. Mortal souls and ethos resonate.
57. So the lore of I know is correct: Yes, that's correct. The lore is essentially accurate.

58. Wait a moment, you implied you know more about the Temporal Compact: You were thinking of it. Yes, I suppose that did give you false hope.
59. Are you trying to get rid of me: Why would I? This is entertaining.
60. Sorry, it's like you're making fun of me and plucking half formed thoughts out of my head...wait, are you lonely: I am not lonely, but nor do I not appreciate visitors.
61. So does companionship mean nothing to you: Yes, that's correct.

62. Is there any relation between the nine circles of magic and the nine layers of Hell: No, in this case the numbers are coincidental. Nine circles of magic merely happen to share the same number as Baator.
63. Yes, I've read and see magic beyond the ninth circle. What is the ultimate circle of magic: Yes, that's correct as well. There is no limit, only what the caster can reach with his skill.
64: Well, what's the highest spell Mystra could cast: That is a meaningless question.
65: Why: Because she is magic and magic is she.
66: What is the limit of her power, then: That is an answer you are not prepared to understand.
67: So, assuming Mystra is beyond mortal ken as you define it, would she be closer to being a creature like you and a creature of this 'will': Yes, that's why, accepting your basic supposition about her status.
68: So could she change magic then, if it's a matter of her will:  She could, I suppose, again accepting another supposition.

69. Fine. Moving on, how do diseases spread? I've always wanted to study them: Tiny bits of matter, smaller than the eye can see.
70: So they're tiny bits of matter that...touch the body, or invade it: Yes, that's correct.
71: They travel through the air: Some are aireborn, some are liquid or solid borne, and a few use magic to propagate.
72. Are there limitless diseases out there: Of course, entities can create new ones if they care to or change the rules.
73. What are the worst ones: Irrelevant, that is a concern of bodies made of flesh and blood.
74. If these diseases are really tiny bits of matter, can they be cured without magic like how you'd brush off wetness from something, or repair a crack in a jar: Magic does not need to precisely follow material rules such as that.
75. But are there ways: Certainly so.
76. Is this a worthwhile path to follow for those who don't have access to magic: The amount of effort is many times greater than magic and ultimately blends back into magic.
77. So this is a waste of time: That is correct, yes
78. Well, how can I prevent diseases without magic then? I've been on Primes where the sick far outweigh the resources to heal them: Heat can help, as can purified air. Air is the hardest source to control, and distance is the best way to do so.
79: Could control of Air or Fire aid this: It could, though they are not intrinsically related beyond the medium of transport.
80. So between these 'entities' and Air and Fire, is this at least in part a matter of the Outer Planes: Yes, that's correct.
81. So if the sources of all this could be changed, could that cure disease on a great scale? If the source of these diseases was changed to something that aids life instead, could it turn disease into a blessing: Yes, that's correct. ...hah. Now that is an interesting idea, mortal. It would be best to slay the fiends controlling pestilence before attempting it, such as the Oinoloth and several demon princes.
82. I see, would the consequence of doing this be severe: Reprisals, it is an act directly in opposition to their ideals. Further, too much could lead to mutations.
83. Mutations: Unplanned changes to the host entity as a result of exposure to exotic forces.
84. Oh yes, too much positive energy can be fatal, including in a situation like this: Yes, that is correct.
85. What's the worst that could happen to living beings if this happened: Mmm, complete collapse into an entity of pure energy or death. There may not be a difference, depending on how you wish to define both states.

86. Speaking of divinities and archfiends, do you have to be another God or Power to kill one: Essentially, yes. Extreme might, magic and resources is traditionally best, as well as divinity.
87. 21 would help bypass some of that: Yes, 21 could help.
88. So could I kill an archfiend with 21 and enough force: Yes, that's correct.

89. This entire idea here with disease and the archfiends, would the likely results be within acceptable drawbacks: No. What you define as unacceptable drawbacks is well exceeded by this idea.

90. Sorry, my stupid questions wasted your time: You don't really believe that.
91. Is it really that obvious: Yes, it was that obvious.
92. I just want to find out more, even when the questions might be stupid. Is that wrong: You have a love of learning. Faint traces of guilt from your childhood linger.
93. <Kascha politely blotted out this question as well, as it deals entirely with her personal life> Yes. Yes, that's correct. Those things in those formative years matter greatly to mortal creatures. Imagine it as the first brushstrokes on a canvas, setting the tone for the entire painting.
94. <Again with some blotting> No, of course not. Yes, the entity you are thinking of would be ample proof.

95. You'd be an amazing counselor, wouldn't you: I suppose I would be, for mysteries that would plague mortals are obvious to me.
96. Is it because of what you've said and done: No, you are essentially happy.
97. <Kascha has blotted out these questions out of respect for Sylvie's privacy.> Yes, that's correct. She made her own mistakes and lives with them every day.  Pride comes before the fall and makes it all the more painful. Time and friendship. 21 is 21. It brings only the Truth. What that brings to the bearer is up to them.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

These messages were recovered by Aurora during their raid on Castle Crumbling. They provide a rare insight to the inner workings of Hell's highest ranks, unvarnished by propaganda or similar measures. They are all addressed to Prince Lixer, though his replies were not recovered. As such, his replies and motives remain opaque, as are the identities of some of the writers.

Each message in a set is separated by a double line break and --- in the middle.

Letter Set I

Hail, the Pale Prince of Hell, Archdevil of the Undead, Scion of Oblivion, General of the Midnight Hunt, Sire of the Eternal Slavery and Prince of Hell.

As your most humble and unworthy servant, I kneel before your glory to tell you of recent intrigue within Dis. In recent weeks, Duke Titivilus has been seen in the company of a strikingly beautiful elven woman. Her beauty rivals that of the whores that serve the fool of the flesh. Amid their endless toil the slaves of Dispater have whispered of this. All are convinced that she is a woman of considerable standing and power, perhaps the empress of a world spanning empire of mortals or one that has obtained some fragment of true spellcasting potential. The riddle is further deepened by the fact she has refrained from speech and His Iron Grace has not chosen to address her while holding court.

Your groveling servant for all times,

W.

---

Hail, the Pale Prince of Hell, Archdevil of the Undead, Scion of Oblivion, General of the Midnight Hunt, Sire of the Eternal Slavery and Prince of Hell.

As your most humble and unworthy servant, I kneel before your glory to tell you of what my investigations have revealed. First, I am pleased to be the slave that tells you that there is no sign of G's involvement. Further, there is no evidence to suggest the fool of the flesh or the fool of arrogance have any ties to this. As such, I plead and await your ever wise guidance, Prince of Hell.

W.

---

The prescribed visit to the Iron Augurs has revealed nothing. As thus and as thus you surely already know, oh Pale Prince, Lord Dispater desires no harm or inquiries to come to this woman. I await further command.

W.

Prince Lixer.

I regret to inform you that Baron Wylsafir has perished. He ignorantly blundered into a forbidden section of Dis and was executed by the security there. Proper compensation has been credited to your account in Dis. I look forward to meeting your new ambassador.

Forever and for All Time,

His Iron Grace Dispater, Archduke of Dis and Lord of the Second.

Letter Set II

Dearest Brother.

I still await a reply regarding my invitation to tour Malbolge. Surely you can tear yourself away from that dreary work in Negation or Castle Crumbling long enough to visit! The vinyards of Malbolge are quite productive. I'm sure you would find the wine produced in my kingdom pleasing.

In waiting anticipation,

Lord of the Sixth, Princess Glasya.

---

Dearest Brother.

Are you still busy with your endless attempts at necromancy? Come, put down those toys and visit. My layer of Hell is fruitful and abundant, full of kneeling slaves and rich tribute. Surely marveling at such would be a better use of time for a Heir of Hell? Unless perhaps someone has finally caught your eye? Marriage with a proper Duchess could do wonders for your standing within Perdition.

In waiting anticipation,

---

Dearest Brother.

Still with your horns buried in more magecraft? Come now, it's been far too long. You really must come to Malbolge and tour. Father will be displeased if you tarry much longer. As Lord of the Sixth, it is only proper that you pay me an official visit.

In waiting anticipation,

Letter Set III

Prince Lixer, Archduke of Undeath.

In response to your inquiry regarding the disposition of the Supreme Legion and other forces involved within the Lifasan Conquest, I must regretfully invoke Rule 18, clause 9 of the Founding Charter of the Dark Eight.

For the eternal victory of Order,

Marshal Dagos.

---

Prince Lixer, Archduke of Undeath.

At the behest of Duke Martinet and His Dread Majesty, I shall answer your inquiry to the best of my abilities. This information is fully classified and must not be disseminated under any circumstances, by order of His Dread Majesty.

Duke Abigor has been convicted of incompetence, dereliction of duty, improper dealings with Chaos, suspicion of Chaotic sympathies and other related treasonous crimes. See Appendix A for a full list of the charges he was convicted of by sealed court. A transcript of the trial is available on request. As he is unaware of his conviction, he is for now allowed to hold his rank until the proper circumstances for his replacement are arraigned. As fitting with the protocols and regulations of the Founding Charter, I have had no more involvement with this aspect of the affair, nor am I aware of whom shall replace Duke Abigor.

I can confirm the presence of the vampire Annalise within Aurora. Further signs of vampires are currently not known, though circumstantial evidence suggests a relationship with Jaela, one of the founding officers of Aurora. She appears to be a half celestial, but if she is in a relationship with the vampire, it is certainly a ruse. A ruse powerful enough to fool the ranks of the deluded weaklings of Good by all reports, which further suggests the involvement of the First, as you suggested.

All signs point to strong contamination towards Chaos by those of Aurora. Several incidents suggest this, including one involving the Queen of Dragons. Please refer to Appendix B for a full list of known Chaotic acts by Aurora. This would follow the information you provided about the First Vampire. Several analysts believe Aurora is closer to pure Chaos than the weakened Chaos of Arborea, though nothing is conclusive at this time.

Enclosed are the files we have regarding the First Vampire. By order of His Dread Majesty, any further information you desire shall be provided on request.

For the eternal victory of Order,

Marshal Dagos.

Letter Set IV

Enclosed is the head of your lapdog arcanaloth. I have taken the liberty of instructing it in the proper forms of respect for its betters, as you have failed miserably to do so. Listen to its words, for there is more knowledge in them than in all your shallow years of being, half breed.

---

Very well, drippings of that glorified treasurer's loins. You have my attention. You had best not waste it.

---

I see you are made of sterner stuff than your sister. The Nadir, when the last eye closes shut. Bring the payment for the souls as well as the death's metal.

---

Prince Lixer.

On consideration, a steady trade of souls and arcana is agreeable. Servants in the Court of the Efreeti Sultan have been instructed to anticipate an approach by your own agents. While at this time brokering the sale of lavawights is not on the table, I am open to revisiting the matter in 90 years.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

The Radiant Green Dragon!

What it is: An information gathering mission on a particular green dragon in the Quasi-Elemental Plane of Radiance.

Status: Information obtained, dragon later killed by Aurora's forces.

Looking up this Comolinahalas dragon, sounds easy, right? I go talk around in the local non-native hangout, the City of the Blind. Turns out this dragon has a huge - I mean huge like a bag full of pissed off titans huge - green gemstone that drifts around Radiance. His gemstone half dragon children (Maybe they are; I'm not going to ask if the dragon's bonking gemstones, no sir) patrol the place with impunity. He's strong enough to mount raids into Mineral and get away with it, which isn't a small feat. I'd watch out for him if I were you - kick him fast and hard instead.

Oh, and I heard one more bit of news. He has a second breath weapon, like the metallic dragons usually have. It's a blast of pure burning light. It literally sears your eyes out and explodes your brain with overwhelming light. May want to watch out for that.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

This is a collection of notes from Sage Vul'lath, a githyanki sage who has defected to Aurora's banner. It is a compilation of lore from across the planes. The accuracy of each snip varies wildly - after all, it's merely collected lore. Take it for what it's worth.

Each snippet is separated by ---.

Life Lesson #1

An unknown portal seems like a brand new adventure! In reality, most planar travelers meet a bloody end by this philosophy. You don't know what you're getting into. You may not even be able to survive there or it may be a one way portal or far worse. - From an ancient text on planar travels.

---

...have no difficulty engaging in flight. The obvious answer is that magic is involved, but various tests involving dispellation and antimagic have shown no efficacy at inhibiting flight. The exact quality is thus unknown, but it can be ascertained that it is a trait of celestial blood, as half-celestials show inferior flight capability. The exact aerodynamics of celestial and half celestial flight remains a mystery...

---

...show that acidic concentrate from an adult black dragon is roughly eight times as potent. Indeed, the primary use of gelatinous cube acids are of it's paralytic properties. By concentrating the acid through distillation, a powerful numbing paralytic can be produced, one that sheds its acidic properties during distillation. Alternately, if higher acidic potency is desired, mixing one ounce of basilisk bile and one part babau slime with ten ounces of gelatinous cube acid greatly amplifies its acidic effect...

---

...link between Lathander and the sun. As there are myriad aspects to the Mortal Coil, no consensus exists. Various factions of the Dawnbringer's clergy give differing explanations; there does not seem to be a consistent dogma on this fact. Of course, a God could conceivably be composed of countless suns in unison. Others argue that there is one sun and one Lathander, but that he has the ability to ignore the conceptions of time and space as we understand them.  In essence, this argues that Lathander is in an infinity of places at once...

---

...refer to Maxul IV's excellent essay on the numerological aspects. But if 3+3=6 and 3+3+3=9, why are the Heavens not related to 3? This is the major flaw in Maxul IV's theorem, as long as one holds that the celestial planes are correct. To fully appreciate that notion, one must challenge that assertion. The logical flow is that if the Abyss has double-sequential numerological truth, then Baator must have triple-sequential numerological truth. Math teaches us that 3 x 3 is 9. The result of truth and more truth is Baator...

---

Every end begets sparks fertile and new
Blessed be the lost child in darklight
One day all will begin once more

---

...glazing. Glazing is done in a variety of ways. Glazing is functionally important for earthenware vessels, which would otherwise be unsuitable for holding liquids due to porosity. Glaze is also used on functional and decorative stoneware and porcelain. In addition to the functional aspect of glazes, aesthetic concerns include a variety of surface finishes, including degrees of gloss and matte, variegation and finished color. Glazes may also enhance an underlying design or texture which may be either the "natural" texture of the clay or an inscribed, carved or painted design...

---

From a Guidebook to Weapon Selection.

As far as materials go, it must be understood that they are aligned to law and chaos rather than good and evil. The fey, eladrin and demons all fear cold iron. Archons and devils equally find silver repulsive. Remember: Silver shatters law, while cold iron conquers chaos! The exception is Inevitables; robotic bodies require adamantine as a material due to the super-hard construction of Mechanus.

---

The accepted flaw of alchemical silver is that it does not hold an edge well. As a result, blows are less effective. Mithral can alleviate these problems, but is often prohibitively expensive. In these experiments, an attempt is made to bond silver with differing alchemical processes or more advanced magical means. The goal is to create a silvered weapon that does not weaken attacks nor is too expensive for practical use.

---

Funny graffiti in Fallbach: The best route to Celestia is that of a martyr, sliding off a demon's claws.

---

Life Lesson #31

The Prime Material is more important than you may think. It's safe, it's usually stable and outsiders or elementals are rarer there. Don't underestimate those who hail from it and DON'T forget it's a great place to hide out from the heat.

---

THE QUESTION? THE QUESTION ISN'T IMPORTANT, ONLY THE ANSWER! HOW DID THEY DO IT!!!????

My best answers were:

1. Worship provides divinity. The argument was rejected, as every egostistical king or rich merchant surrounded by toadies is decidedly mortal.
2. The Gods give them a little of their own power. The argument was rejected, as the Gods have power. By definition, they must be greedy.
3. They slept their way to it. The argument was rejected after much laughing by Master. It's the succubus problem.

I don't know. I'm going to be tested by Master tonight, diary. I'm fucked.

---

The little girl crossed the road
She got caught up in her long hair
A quick knife spilled her blood's load
Now she's walking up Heaven's stair

I'm sorry, Tia. It's just what Daddy had to do.

---

When I talked to him, I thought he was a well mannered frog-man, albeit riddled with clockwork. He was unfailingly polite and had an exquisite sense of propriety. The question of his abandonment of chaos was met with a silence and a smile. He laughed, a happy and carefree sound. Far too happy. I've never heard an Inevitable laugh before.  His answer was that chaos is everything; even law. He then thanked me for visiting and went off, like nothing was wrong.

---

I really had no stake in the entire affair. The blonde was really angry, the sort of angry that leads to killin'. I've seen it many times out here, but she didn't have the look of one of Talona's or Malar's type. Those are the only ones that give her brood trouble on those grounds, you know? It didn't make any sense, must be personal. All I know is that I got outta there and an hour later I saw her walking out of the city. Something 'bout her stuck to me. Every once in a great while I see those sort of eyes. Gives me the willies every time.  Glad I didn't try'n'pick her up after all.

---

An rare excerpt from the Little Black Book, the unholy texts of Malcanthet.

(Hm? Whatever was here looks like it was blotted out with ink.)

---

The key to the portal within the Ashborn Tower is a wooden orb, hollowed out. Within the orb must be the powdered skull of a dire wolf. It is said the portal leads to the 151st layer - what lies there I know not, but only that the demons themselves sealed it. To reach that portal, the Ashborn Tower must be conquered.

---

Leek, Onion and Potato Soup

4 large leeks
1 medium onion, chopped small
2 potatoes, mashed.
1 oz (25 g) butter
1 1/2 pints (850 ml) stock.
10 fl oz (275 ml) milk
Salt and freshly milled black pepper

---

...of matter does not seem to apply. This assumes that the typical flow of matter as we understand it is correct, and that demiplane magic is changing the natural rules of Creation, versus being aspects of Creation that are not understood. Various sages have well established how the building blocks of the Prime Material come from the Elemental Planes. This assertion is not under attack...

---

Good advice I got from an angel:

"Friend, it's in bad form to ask about an angel's wings. It's terribly impolite. Asking if we molt and if we get 'pissy' when we molt is simply rude!"

I wish I'd listened. Do you know how hard it is to get a Quest enchantment dispelled?

---

The defeat of Zaaman Rul at the Plains of Burnt Dreams was near-complete. His armies lay slaughtered, his aides imprisoned and already bound for Imix's bonfires.  In desperate single combat Zaaman Rul was struck down by Imix and left for dead. His resurrection and subsequent return has softened the impact, but the simple point is that Fire is aligned with Evil. The slaying of Bristis Pel had indeed won Imix the day - Zaaman Rul wasn't capable of defeating his father.

---

The tenth circle of magic is incomprehensible to me. I studied the scroll for a month and I've come no closer to unlocking its magic.  The ninth circle is difficult but I have mastered it, yet this height of spellcasting eludes me to the last! I have confirmed these spells exist and I hold proof in my hand! My suspicion is that there is a component to this greater magic than merely mastery. Dweomerheart. I must go to Dweomerheart and find out.

---

1+1=2? Why? Why does that equal 2? How do we know, when our senses cannot be trusted? I shall sequester myself and study perfect math, so that I can prove that 1+1=2! - The last words of the Twenty third wiseman of Pandam.

---

Mental note: Avoid half-dragon women. Scales down there CHAFE!

---

Hyperfertility: Dragons, outsiders.

Hyperfertility can be described as the ability to mate with creatures outside of your species and produce viable offspring.  While hyperfertility is not limited to those examples above, they are the best known examples. Indeed, half dragon and half-fiend/half-celestial children are a fact of life in the Planes and known on the Mortal Coil. It's interesting to think that the wars of good and evil have progressed to the point of breeding with mortals to produce more soldiers. As for dragons? Dragons just seem to enjoy it. Maybe they're all sluts?

---

Life Lesson #20

Don't eat Slaad eggs. While often a delicacy, there is a chance of secondary implantation. If you consume slaad eggs anyway, seek proper magic to counter any chance of slaad conversion.

Life Lesson #58

Kill the wizard or cleric first.

---

In the ceremony of Prismatic Birth, Renbuu's names must be inscribed in unequal parts of all seven prismatic colors. It further imperative that all of the names are organized in a proper reverse triple-irregular circle pattern, forming a two-dimensional sphere.

---

Mint tea soothes injury from anarchic weapons. Red peppers soften the pain from axiomatic weapons.

---

Adammal, Perith, Grengale, Bastrilo. All dead names of no meaning. All of the same being, lost like grains of sand on the beach of eternity. I have sought the truth for 10 centuries, but answers elude me. His true name is reckoned to be powerful enough to open the Gate. I must open the gate, and he knows this. I cannot stop now. I feel a reckoning is coming, he no longer bothers to hide his presence. He knows I can stop him. I know that if we come to battle now, he will triumph. I do not run. I consign these last words to this grimoire and consign it to this library.

---

Said to be a forbidden spell: Erathaol's Reverse the Flow. Why I don't know, but the book seemed sure of it, from what I could read. The language was some sort of distilled Celestial. Why it's forbidden I don't know or if it's forbidden to use or to know of or something else. Juliel said she hadn't heard of it before, and she's quite well versed in celestial magic. Could be a dead end.

---

True names rarely change. They change on the death of a mortal, assuming it's soul is reborn. A spirit's name changes if what it represents changes - a fallen angel, say. As the true name represents a totality of what you are, a change that fundamental results in a new true name. Once lost, an old true name has no power at all. Attempting to use it on the changed entity is folly, and may even get its wrath without any benefit to you. - What I remember of that bard the morning after. She knew a whole lot.

---

Two succubi at once doesn't work as well as you'd think. That is, unless you want to see a bloody catfight that only ends once one of them is dead. For future reference - after the succubus kills its competitor, this isn't a good time to mention that you're protected from it sucking out your energy or soul. On the other hand, it took only a single blow to finish her off after that fight.

---

Medicant - I know it exists! Sir Medi would not allow it to fall into ruin. The one hiding place no one else can get to - the Deep Ethereal! With the Celestial Key, finding it should be easy. I merely have to convince Galariel to give me the key. The stoic angel is not one to submit easily to words. - The last entry in the journal of a fallen traveler.

---

1+4+3=8.
8x2+1=17.
17+4=21.

---

(This note isn't a note at all! It looks to be a scroll of cone of cold.)

---

Blisswort 1 leaf, powdered and rubbed into the skin, repels lesser baatezu for about an hour. A bearded devil or above won't be anything but annoyed by it.

---

Morpheoloths are known as Dream Killers. They attack the mind and kill through massive fright and trauma. If successfully lured into an empty husk of a body and imprisoned there, research could be conducted.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Apples of Idun

What it is: Magical apples that reverse aging. The tree that grows them is owned by Sharess.

Status: Nothing solid but a few possibilities. No real leads, only information and speculation.

So you want an Apple of Idun? They're hard as hell to get. No one's really sure exactly where the tree is, and it is said that they're guarded fiercely. To give you an idea of how fiercely they're guarded, the last guardian was Syala, who is now a Goddess. Yeah, I'd think a few times before trying outright theft. Hear she's a mean hand at making mazes, which anyone knows is code for death traps.

Occasionally Sharess grants them to favored mortal worshipers, and sometimes they aren't used but end up on the market instead. No such luck right now, no easy in. I did find one possible connection. An old legend says that Tempus is the one who gave Sharess the Tree of Idun in the first place. She showed Tempus love or something, I don't know. Maybe that's how old legends say that she seduced the hell out of him, I'm not going to ask. The upshot is that perhaps Tempus has some or knows where another tree is.

Oh, and before you ask, the apples don't rot like normal fruit. So if you find one, it's good no matter how old it is.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

The Melding of the Three

What it is: A monastic order dedicated to Angharradh, the Triune Goddess of the Seladrine.

Status: Disbanded, most members presumed dead. Nameless survivor revealed to be Meillarberyl, who was recruited to Aurora's cause.

A nice order of paladins who served the Triune Goddess, based in Lifasa. Past tense there, big time. Long story short and devil claws later, they're all chumming around with Angharradh up close and personal. Hopefully, since the devils probably tried to catch 'em too. Anyway, got one friend who said he heard of someone from an order like that. Didn't get a name, but she retreated to an obscure monastery deep within Elysium.

The name? The Silent Order of Eternal Tranquility. Yes, I asked, and the name means it is a group with a vow of silence. Can't say I blame her or anyone from Lifasa choosing to opt out from the rest of mortal struggles. Ugly business there, but it sounds like she has some fight left in her.

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Eternal Joy

This book is a journal recorded by Rogen Palethos, a wanderer who came to Elysium through a portal. It describes his journey through the blessed paradise and his marvels at the beauty of it all. The entries become more joyous as he succumbs to the call of Elysium, a slow and graceful decline as he finally surrenders to it. While notable for being a long and well written first hand source of Elysium's transformative properties, the main value of this book lies in the description of a being called Cantasa Alexandria.

Normally, knowledge about Cantasa Alexandria is anathemic knowledge, which is knowledge that cannot be remembered and cannot be recorded. This journal is unique in that a description of her remains unaffected by this. A direct passage from the book is included below.

"Glory the maiden of the GATE stood before me, the SEVEN-fold ONE farther than the eye's sight, glory FORTY-NINE wings each singing the music of joy, Cantasa Alexandria spoke in FORTY-NINE voices and glory said: Oh, turn aside the wicked and glory everlasting, tomorrow and hereafter and for ALL TIME AND FOREVER."

While this knowledge is successfully recorded, those that read it forget what they have read within 7 days. Attempts to record or preserve this knowledge beyond the book uniformly fail.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

This is cross-posted from the Father's stat block.

The material here is from an ancient account of The Father's sealing, recovered by Aurora as they struggle to keep The Father sealed away.

---

The ancient scroll in your hand shakes with every breath you take. It appears on the verge of collapse, so you read with a desperation born of need. You utter a prayer to the Heavens that it survives long enough for you to finish.

If you are reading this, then The Father is active in Creation. May all the Gods of justice, righteousness and compassion have mercy on your soul, for The Father will have none. Read well, for I pray that the information here will lead to the end of the nightmare. Should you not end the nightmare, then The Father will be freed and only the Gods themselves may be able to stop him.

The Father is the spawn the Pale Mother and Demogorgon. The details of his parentage are unclear, but it is said that Demogorgon consumed the afterbirth and perhaps a newborn child of the Pale Mother. This afterbirth was not digested, but instead became a rotting tumor between the necks of the Prince of Demons. A frenzy came over Demogorgon, an absolute hunger as he slaughtered and devoured countless demons under his command, the tumor growing ever larger. Eventually, the tumor ruptured and the Father emerged on the wings of a holocaust, in the stinking mires of Abysm. Aameul desired to consume the Father as well, while Hethradiah desired to torment the abomination they had unleashed. In the argument that followed, The Father was able to escape.

The above information is correct as far as I have been able to discern. The massacre and consumption of Demogorgon's thralls has been confirmed by lore from multiple survivors. However, the information about the Pale Mother's role in this is far less reliable.

The Father is an abomination cursed by his sire and unwanted by his distant mother. He is forever cast out of the Outer Planes. Instead he is cast into the mortal realms. Unlike other greater demons, his presence does not wound the mortal world. No, the natural world rarely notices him and never recoils from him. He was cast into my Prime Material world, wherein he established himself as a spiritual leader and attracted the veneration of thousands. But no mercies came from his lessons, no everlasting life beyond that of flesh. His wisdom lead to the reduction of sentient mortals to cattle. Every truth he uttered was a self-destructive falsehood carefully arraigned to appear authentic.

Calamity spread as The Father's vision came to grow. Entire nations fell into anarchy and cannibalism, and soon The Father was the most powerful man in my world. The greatest heroes of the world came to face him, to put an end to this madness.

But The Father was all powerful.

Ultimately, I was one of the last heroes left. I gathered the few remaining, and sought not to destroy The Father, but to contain him. By Oghma's wisdom and the sacrifices of every other soul who opposed him that day, I sealed The Father away into my holy symbol - a book. Exhausted, I took this book to the farthest reaches of Valgadda, which are no more. I wished to seal this book away until the day Creation is no more and allow whom may stand then to deal with this abomination. Yet that night the Lord of Knowledge spoke to me in my dreams, telling me that The Father would one day corrupt his prison and be free once more. The seal will not last forever. Should The Father be free again, he will return to the mortal world. He will return and again there will be feasts. Mortal life will become that of animals, awaiting slaughter.

Kill The Father. Only a weapon forged by a smith born from neither father or mother and made holy can destroy The Father. Unfortunately, one must be strong enough to use this to tear him asunder. We were not. The scythe that rests with this book is one such weapon. It was made by the Glasae Queen, Empress of the Fey Marches. She was born of her own desire to exist, coming fully born into the world. If you wish to slay him, you must free him from this book at dawn in the mortal world. The ground must be consecrated and hallowed, as well as inlaid with seven circles against evil and seven more against chaos. When dawn's light hits the book, he will be freed. The true form of The Father is a vaguely human body of mouths, standing four dozen feet tall. He does not move as much as flow, mouths devouring each other and the space around them.

As to the actual battle, all who oppose The Father must have their minds completely protected by nothing less than the spell mind blank. Anything less will result in the complete shattering of the victim's psyche into unrecoverable madness. Even then, the strain of viewing The Father will inflict great mental trauma. This trauma in particular damages traditional priests, though those who cast from personal magnetism fare better. Of the elements and magic, lightning, cold and sound have no effect on his true form. Fire affects him, though he is resistant. Acid damages him greatly, but does not inflict mortal wounds. Life energy, strangely and for reasons I cannot discern, damages The Father. Of the physical, The Father's true form has no discernible anatomy. Trained warriors that rely on well aimed blows or single, overwhelming strikes (such as from the scythe, to my great lament) are largely ineffective. Manufactured weapons, save the scythe and those like it, are consumed on striking the Father. Woe onto the fool who attempts to claw, punch or bite The Father, for they become his subsistence.

The Father's main strategy is to flow over his victim and consume them whole. Those consumed whole are consumed in body and soul, forever lost. Those who survive quickly transform into abominations, smaller versions of the Father that in the end consume themselves into spiritual and physical oblivion. In his time leading the souls of entire nations to oblivion or damnation, he became learned of clerical magic. His spells carry the same consumptive effect as his bite, though on a slower scale. Divine intervention is the only way known to reserve this process.

The Father also possesses two special traits, one from each of his parents. He has the ability to dominate the minds of the weak, breaking them to his will like his accursed father can. From his mother is the madness on sight explained above. I believe that The Father is in some small way similar to the Pale Mother beneath her ever-shifting veil. Further, the research into forbidden lore regarding the Pale Mother suggests that her origins do not come from this Creation, but from Beyond. It may be that means to battle back the spawns of madness beyond our Creation could be effective against the Father. I do not know, for such means are vanishingly rare. However, there is one flaw in this premise. The Father is a priest. The Beyond rejects divine power and is nearly immune to it. This may be nothing more than addled speculation of madmen and demons forced to speak the truth, for such information can only be extracted through the might of magic.

You who read this are my hope. Angel or devil, saint or sinner, I care not. End the nightmare. No more feasts. Kill The Father.

Amen.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Memoirs of a Dretch Paladin

This thin book is a diary of a self-proclaimed dretch paladin. He calls himself Paladin instead of a proper name and possesses a relatively high level of intellect for a dretch. While the text is broken and poorly written, it is legible and more or less comprehensible.

It tells of Paladin's inspiration - seeing a warrior with a glowing white sword slay the hezrou that used it as a minion. For some reason this inspired it to try and do the same, to become a paladin that can kill things like mean hezrou. It details his struggles to find this power and kill demons. The former eludes him, as his ideas of what a paladin are indistinguishable from a rampaging demon. However, he proves to be surprisingly adept at the latter. Soon the memoirs tell of bloody battles as Paladin cuts through lesser demons, paired with ineffective and senseless attempts to make demons 'see the light'. Which, as a demon himself, is something akin to making them beg for mercy before killing them.

Near the end of the book, the writing becomes more coherent. It ends on no particular note at all and provides no resolution. An afterword by a nameless scholar postulates that Paladin may have been slain, promoted to a new form or lost the book.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Empress Sulia's Rise

This is a biography of Empress Sulia, a demipower that has risen within the past several centuries. It describes her life, ascension and her new role in divine politics.

It is said that in a faraway realm Empress Sulia ruled over a prosperous empire. She poured her love into it, traveling the realm and seeing to its prosperity in the name of Sune. With her was her closest friend and true love, a court magician. The Emperor, a cold man who knew little of love, grew jealous of Sulia's deeds. On their triumphant return he accused both of them of grievous crimes and infidelity, condemning them to the headman's axe. Bravely did Sulia face her fate. There was no fear in her heart, only love for her people and her lover. Her last words were a whispered prayer that Lady Firehair see over those she cares for. With courage and love she faced the greatest question, her head rolling in the dirt.

Death was not the end, but a reward. Her service elevated her, so that he work would not be done. Empress Sulia was reborn at Sune's side, tending to those who martyr themselves in the name of love. Her relationship with Sune is of a a daughter looking up to her mother, while she gets along with Sharess as best friends. She has cordial relations with the rest of Brightwater, in particular with Lliira. The joy Lliira brings pleases Sulia, while Lliira respects Sulia's protection of those who would die so others can be joyous.

Ilmater and Empress Sulia are similar, both representing much the same thing. As of now the two have not come to conflict or a resolution. It is said Empress Sulia adores Ilmater and wishes to ease the suffering he carries for others. If Ilmater returns these feelings is not known, but the nearness of their portfolios and divine competition prevents any simple answers. If the two become wed together, such a marriage would deeply ally the House of the Triad and Brightwater. Such would inevitably bring great change and reactions all across Creation.

Empress Sulia gets along well with both Alicia Reynes and Syala, two similar minor powers. They are friends, working together with Sulia acting as a mentor to the neophyte powers.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Dreamless Syndrome

This book discusses a rare but serious condition known as dreamless syndrome. On occasion, spellcasters will use lesser restoration or similar spells to bypass the need for a night's sleep. While a missed night or two of sleep is harmless, extended use of these methods has a deleterious effect on a person's sanity. Mortal creatures need to rest and to dream. While simple magic can soothe physical tiredness, it does not relieve the mental fatigue that accumulates.

The effects of dreamless syndrome begin with hallucinations that grow into a disconnect with reality. If not properly treated, these hallucinations begin to become real for the victim. These dream-like hallucinations are generally harmful and can result in injury or death. To everyone else, the victim acts mad and suffers impossible injuries that manifest out of thin air. Creatures that do not sleep are not subject to this condition.

The book advocates one simple solution to the syndrome, which is going to sleep. A single night's sleep greatly mitigates the effects and several nights of rest in a row cure it.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Lunar Frolic

This thin, silver-bound tome is handwritten in refined Celestial. It appears as a work of art as much as book, with delicate and gorgeous calligraphy joined by the elements of an illuminated manuscript. By all accounts is is beautiful and the work of a supernaturally skilled artist. Unfortunately, there is no author listed nor any obvious hints of who it may have been.

The book describes a ritual on the moon known as a lunar frolic. It is from the viewpoint of an unknown observer, referred to in the text only as 'him'. In any case, it describes the light of Lathander reaching the moon. Here an ethereal angel of the moon is surrounded by six identical sisters as they receive Lathander's light, then engage in a beautiful celebration. This joyous dance weaves the sunlight with the dust of the moon, creating moonlight. The moonlight is then sent in all directions so that Selune's glow reaches all of Creation.

The book also warns that this frolic must happen every seven months, lest Selune's glow dim and the night be completely overrun by Shar's darkness. It warns of silver tongued servants of the Lady of Loss, who seek to end the ritual by any means.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Advanced Languages

This book is a scholarly dissertation on various rare planar languages. The author claims to be a servant of Oghma from the House of Knowledge, though the veracity of this cannot be ascertained. It asserts that the movers and shakers of Creation speak words so tied to what they are that to merely utter them is a supernatural feat. It notes the Words of Creation and the Dark Speech as the two most known examples, but goes into details about several.

Words of Creation: The root language from which Celestial springs. It is a beautiful language spoken by the deities and planar lords of Good, as well as some ancient celestials. It is said that when properly used, it can bring redemption to the wicked, create materials from nothing and raise the dead. It's said to be impossible for anyone but an outsider deeply tied to good and marvelously wise to speak. It is also said to have local variants for law and chaos, but that the overarching language is unified.

Dark Speech: In many ways, this is the inverse of the Words of Creation. It is the tongue of damnation, hate and evil. The greatest fiends can use it to cause pain, condemn mortals and spread misery. It is noted that the devils, daemons and demons each have their own version of it that are not compatible with one another. Further, each demon that can speak it has their own version.

The High Elementals: It is said that the genies and elemental lords have potent tongues that can command the elements themselves. Less is known of these, as elemental matters are further removed from the rest of Creation than the Outer Planes, but some information is known. It is said the elements can be commanded with them, including elementals themselves. The languages are commonly known as High Maridi, Great Efreeti, True Djinn and Final Dao, though these are crude translations of titles barely understood.

The book further notes that there seems to be no great language for pure law or pure chaos. The author speculates that law has no need for language, for at the highest levels all are one and one are all. Likewise, high chaos is too distinct for meaningful communication on that level to occur, as each powerful exemplar is unique.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Behind the Screen: Hit Points

This is going to discuss how hit points are dealt with in Balmuria and what they represent. What exactly hit points measure varies from DM to DM and edition to edition. So let's set the record straight and define what hit points are for Balmuria.

Hit point damage represents physical trauma to the target. It is not an abstracted value wherein you don't get hurt until the fatal blow. Creatures with more hit points can take injury that would bisect a mere peasant as little more than a flesh wound. This represents the increased endurance and superhuman powers of characters past the first few levels of play. 30 points of damage will reduce a level 1 character to a pile of gibs. This same trauma is little more than a middling injury to a typical 10th level character.

Ergo, hit point recovery is accomplished with recovery. Rest is the mundane way to do so. Note that higher level characters heal damage in a day that a peasant couldn't even survive in the first place. They've gained healing capacity to keep up with the increased toughness they possess. Magical healing generally uses positive energy to accomplish the same thing in an instant. As a character gains levels, it requires more hit point healing to restore all wounds. As higher level healing spells channel more healing and thus more positive energy, it can be inferred that higher level characters literally have a more robust life-force than normal human beings. Succinctly, hit point capacity can be equivocated to the body's ability to hold positive energy. As characters endure trauma and grow stronger, this capacity rises and thus do hit points. As positive energy is the source of all life, it charges the body with a greater ability to survive injury.

To elaborate somewhat, let's take a level 10 fighter. He's a fairly tough fellow who has 100 hit points. Next to him is a level 1 peasant who has a whopping 8 hit points. He's tough as far as peasants go, but he's not superhuman like the fighter is. For the sake of example, a red dragon comes on over and breathes fire on them for 30 points of damage. For a normal peasant who isn't superhuman at all, that 30 damage is much more than his hit points. He's reduced to a charred corpse. Meanwhile, the fighter's 100 hit points is more than sufficient to endure that blow. The fighter's burned but intact, nowhere near the charred corpse the peasant is.

The peasant's body wasn't robust enough to handle that sort of damage. He didn't have the stronger life-force that the fighter did and was thus killed. The fighter, on the other hand, has far more positive energy within him. His body is able to resist and endure the flames. He's burned, but it's in the realm of second degree burns that are quite survivable. This is a direct result of that positive energy in him - more life, more ability for his body to deal with trauma like that. Some of that positive energy is lost in the exchange. Over time, the fighter's body will naturally draw in more positive energy to replenish what was lost. This causes the body to heal and recover hit points.

It's worth explaining how damage reduction, energy resistance and other means of defense interact with hit points. These factors are unrelated to positive energy and hit points. They provide a defense that can mitigate damage received. If hit points are the body, damage reduction and similar things are the armor that protects the body. You have to get through those to deal damage. They aren't an extension of how hit points work at all, but instead the result of other factors entirely.

Finally, non-living creatures are not alive nor are they undead. While a rock does have some traces of positive energy in it, any hit points it possess are due to the mass and hardness of the stone. Chips and breaks do not heal, as there is no positive energy or life-force to do so. With these, it must be understood that hit points are shorthand to describe this. Unlike undead creatures, non-living materials have no counter-source of not-life to draw from. Further, even when magic repairs these things, no positive energy is involved. The spells mending and make whole are transmutations and do not have the healing subschool. Super-hard materials, such as adamantine, are still relatively fragile compared to higher level characters; this is far moreso if the hardness of a non-living creature can be bypassed or overcome.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

The Great Prism

This thick book is penned by an unknown philosopher, a long treatise on the nature of mortal reality. In particular, this tome focuses on the Prime Material Plane. It discusses how there is not one single world in the Prime Material, but countless variants that are each unique. It prevents several theories as to why.

The first is that the Prime Material is one great, single plane or universe. It claims that each Prime Material world is separated by vast distances in some manner, and that mortals lack the ability to transverse this distance without magic. It compares it to an endless ocean dotted with countess island-worlds. The Prime Material is just as infinite as the other planes in this theory and each world is a self contained creation.

The second theory takes the opposite tack. There is but one Prime Material world, however, it is endlessly split into variant worlds. It is compared to light that passes through a prism, becoming a rainbow of colors. The Prime is the prism and creates worlds from this light, which is suggested to be a metaphor for the Inner Planes. The author further ties this to the fact the Inner Planes are the building blocks of Creation. The Prime Material has the unique ability to combine all the elements into one whole by this theory.  A close reading suggests the author prefers this theory over the others, as it gets the most attention and pages devoted to it.

The next proposes that the Primes are not planes at all. The mortal world are the dreams of the divine, with each world being a different dream. It notes that some deities and powers hold strong influence in some worlds than others, claiming those world-dreams are ones that deity projects the most into. These shared dreams are passing fancy until mortal life ends, at which point the divine gifts the mortal with existence in the real world of the Outer Planes.

Another theory is that the Prime are created as experiments. The divine seeks to create the perfect world. Each Prime is another attempt to that, discarded and paid minimal attention to once it fails and they move onto the next world. The races and lives in each world are merely experiments allowed sentience and sapience as a side effect of this grand quest. When that one, perfect world is at last created, all the other Primes will be useless and disposed of.

No final conclusion is made in the last chapter. Instead it reflects briefly on each story and suggests that the question is the greatest facing the sages of mortalkind. If it can be answered, they are one large step closer to understanding Creation itself.
<Afina> Forever.