News:

"I sense a soul in search of answers.  I shalt eat him."

Main Menu

The Archive (Jaela)

Started by Anastasia, December 20, 2016, 04:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corwin

"We have a contract, so I know I feel obligated to keep it," Jaela muses. "Unfortunately, you have me at a disadvantage here. Please allow me to be frank for a moment. While you're quite powerful I don't have the same way to vet you and your ability to back up your claims that you have for me. If you were to go first, that would serve as that confirmation for me and put me at ease."
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

The old man snaps his fingers - in spite of being swollen and arthritic. A book with a midnight black cover appears in your lap. "Take that to your greatest smith, they will be able to construct a weapon to destroy devils for all time from it."
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

Jaela nods, opening the book to flip through it. While not a smith herself, she should be able to tell if the theory sounds and that the methods don't violate their ethics, which was after all one of her conditions.

And it will also give her an estimate on the sort of lore that this is worth, since different people will kill for different things.

Anastasia

K:P and K:A checks. Also Craft:Weaponsmithing if you have ranks.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Taking 10 for 55 K:A and 60 K:P. If I can take 10 for an int check on the crafting and use Divine Insight, that's 33.

Anastasia

You...honestly aren't sure what this is. It's an incredibly complex process that touches on the soul, but it isn't destroying it. It's invoking several conflicting and strangely interlinked principals and ideals. It's all linked together in some sort of logic, but it's a bit beyond you. You more or less grasp parts of it, but not all and the overarching conclusion is incomprehensible to you.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"Alright," Jaela says, all businesslike now. "Towards my part of the bargain. Aurora held negotiations with Duke Martinet, representing Asmodeus. I can tell you the details surrounding that event, which would be guaranteed the only version of it actually true."

Anastasia

As a note, roll a Bluff check if you include anything untrue.

The old man ponders and nods silently, then waves a hand and says, "Continue."
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"Two of our officers, Muirfinn and Lief, were captured during a strike on a devil outpost. Muirfinn was reportedly held in Nessus at Asmodeus's pleasure, and we approached Queen Vla'akith in order to retrieve him. Rather than secure his release, she made it possible for us to hold negotiations at her palace. Asmodeus saw fit to invite us, and Morniel and I went along with a small party to represent Aurora. Out natural allies of Celestia, the Cauldron and Sylica supported our side, but loaned out their personnel for the cause rather than take direct action. That was due to our desire to resolve things on our own, given Muirfinn was one of ours. Over the course of negotiations, which took roughly two days of deliberation and rest, we secured Muirfinn's return."

Jaela smiles again. "How was this? To the best of my knowledge, this is only the third such negotiation held on Asmodeus's behalf, and information on such things is sparse."

No need to lie here.

Anastasia

"That is sufficient," The old man says, "Yes, that will do." He stands and passes you something - an old white token, scarred and weathered. "When you have information for another trade, invoke this. Cast it on the ground and think of your intent to trade."
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Jaela blinks in momentary surprise, but if he accepts it as two pieces of lore that works for her. She accepts the token, inclining her head. "Of course. I'll do that." Pausing briefly, she asks, "Before we leave, was there something going on outside? A storm?"

Anastasia

"Talos visited. We had business." The old man says, as a portal stretches into being behind all of you.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"It's been a pleasure," Jaela says, waiting for her companions to step through the portal before she follows them.

Anastasia

The portal takes you outside of the Library, just before the teleportation spot.

"Profitable," Sage Vul'lath says, "Dangerous, but profitable."
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"Nothing ventured, nothing gained," Jaela says, holding onto the book. "Vul'lath, would you mind compiling a list of secrets that we may consider parting with once we're back? I'd rather be prepared next time something like this comes up rather than winging it."