News:

"Destiny Challenged us and so we chose to end the world.  There was nothing to regret.  Nothing."

Main Menu

While we have a down day...

Started by Anastasia, January 09, 2007, 05:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

So we've used Tristat DX for a bit and gotten a basic grasp on it. What does everyone think of how the system works? Any suggestions for house rules so far? Since I'm taking a day off here, I figure it's a good time to check bases.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Ebiris

I happen to think the system works fine as is. No need for house rules from what I can tell.

edit for content: I can only really reiterate the points I made prior to the game about how I like that the system actually has rules/attributes for pretty much anything.

It's a pretty solid system and basically builds on the BESM rules in every way I could wish to make for a more organised and fair ruleset. That's pretty much the point behind my original post - it works, so there's no need for wacky houserules or snap judgement calls.

Asrana

I think it's overcomplicated and rigid, personally. >_>;

I can't really suggest house rules, because the system is basically fine within itself, just...

Seems rather clunky. Hard to define, but doesn't flow well personally in chargen, and is thus rather unfriendly in execution, I feel. Just a sort of reflexive prefference against it, or something.
lt;Kotono>  (Currently looks like a 16-year-old girl):I walk up to the leader and say, "Are you so sure you want our money?" and use my alter self ability to grow a massive bulge in my pants.

Jo'ou Ranbu

I'm going to echo May's complaints in here, mostly. I find the system a bit clunky in and out of itself. While it doesn't really bludgeon us against a wall, it could stand to be more intuitive, but it's not a big deal.

Halbarad

Will go ahead and agree with Eb here for the most part. Outside of this particular game? BARE MINIMUM STARTING POINTS for any given dX for any sort of long-running game, and possibly chargen limits on how many levels of an attribute you can take(i.e., no more than 1/2 X on a starting-out character sheet). Other than that? Looks fine to me so far on mechanics levels past that.

The only real problems I see with this game is that we're kinda starting out a little too strong, but things should be manageable as long as we're thrown into balanced fights. Biggest hurdle is that most of the challenges that have been thrown at us so far (aside from Karuma's rampage) seem to have been more mauled by force of numbers as much as our abilities.
I am a terrible person.
Excellent Youkai.

Anastasia

Heh, there definitely seems to be two schools of thought here. I lean towards May and Snow, insomuch as I find the system fundamentally overcomplicated and unintutative. This isn't a giant deal for PCs, you only have to do it once and then work with what you have. No big. For the GM, this is a serious issue since I'm starting to loathe NPC/baddie generation with a fiery passion.

I'm not really sure it's a winning trade overall. Yes, you can plan out pretty much any ability with ease and attach a million dodads defining the trait to it. It's nice on paper but I find it far too clunky in execution. That and the system is incredibly easy to break if you want to. I gave each of you a fair bit of roaming in chargen, but even with that Tristat clearly needs a lot more GM oversight than I thought. I'm not so thrilled about this, either.

I don't feel the system fits my style of GMing very well at all. I think I'd like it a lot better if I were just a PC. Too high maintenence.

---

This won't affect Assassins itself. This is more for my opinions on running other games (SM3, for example) with DX.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: "Halbarad"The only real problems I see with this game is that we're kinda starting out a little too strong, but things should be manageable as long as we're thrown into balanced fights. Biggest hurdle is that most of the challenges that have been thrown at us so far (aside from Karuma's rampage) seem to have been more mauled by force of numbers as much as our abilities.

On a related tack to this, I'm starting to believe skills and traits should've been segregated by dice level and power level far more strongly than they were. There's no real sense of balance to the skills once you have enough points to buy up one or two that you want and base a combo around that.

But to the main point? Well yes, when the four of you work together you tend to do really well. Amazing, that.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Long story short, system problems and experiment with Tristat DX is over. Very mixed bag here, with two of us liking it and three not. IT served it's purpose.
<Afina> Forever.