News:

"In closing, we have the best hobby ever. The End."

Main Menu

Adventure 1: The Flooded Forest

Started by Merc, February 16, 2007, 02:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merc

Summary:
A girl is rushed to a temple, injured and her father being taken by what she claims to be zombies. Three heroes then rush to a nearby forest to destroy these foul creatures. They encounter a small group of them after entering the forest, which has been recently flooded and is thus more like a swamp. They utterly annihilate the group of five 'zombies'. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, the creatures are apparently not undead. They bleed, feel pain, and die. That leaves the question then, is what these creatures are and what they wanted with the girl's father.

As the trio continue to explore deeper into the forest, they come across a nyth, a small floating ball of light that attacks them and when it can't kill them, lures them into a sleeping slaad that it proceeds to drive into a fury, that causes it to attack the trio. The heroes manage to defeat both creatures, however.

Having spent the day resting from their ordeal, they soon find themselves coming across a large building deep into the forest. Guarding the only entrance seem to be more of the foul creatures encountered earlier, though a larger and much more dangerous version of them. After a long battle against two of these greater chosen ones, an encounter that left Jeanne particularly harmed due to the poisonous bite of the creatures, the trio enter the building.

Inside, Jeanne triggers a small trap, thankfully not dangerous, merely alerting the owner of building of intruders. The so called 'Grissre the Scholar' welcomed the three inside and warned them to be careful of the monsters and traps as they approach him, chortling wildly and revealing his apparent insanity.

The three find a number of prisoners and free them, and though they tell them to wait while they defeat Grissre, a group of the prisoners don't feel like they want to take the chance of the trio being defeated and decide to flee. A few decide to put their trust in Calathra, Dinadan and Jeanne, rather than braving the monsters of the flooded forest.

The trio proceed to hunt for the man behind these sorrows, and find him, sitting in a room, his body releasing smoke and looking cracked. When Calathra strikes with one of her firey attacks, the man ignites, the skin falling off and revealing a demon who attempts to destroy them, having a large interest in Calathra.

The heroes survive the deadly demon, however, largely due to its overconfidence and reckless attacks. The deed done, they loot the castle of the hidden riches they had found earlier, the sword the demon used, and depart with a small group of thankful people formerly imprisoned in there.

They return almost without incident, though somewhat grim at finding two dead from the group that left the swamp, although all others seemed to make it out.

The man who led the expedition seems remorseful, understanding it was his fault the two men died, but he's thankful at least all others made it out and considers the gash on his back a reminder that he does not know what's best for everyone. After an apology to the trio, he departs, others leaving their thanks before leaving as well.

Experience:
Mission:
850 EXP - Rescued the girl's father as well as other prisoners. However, two people died and one was implanted by a red slaad.

Enemies Killed:
85 EXP - 5x Chosen Ones
650 EXP - 1x Nyth
750 EXP - 1x Slaad
750 EXP - 2x Greater Chosen Ones
1600 EXP - 1x Palrethee

Special Bonuses:
15 EXP - Destroying the Flesh Corridor
350 EXP - Helping out the GM get used to being a GM

Total EXP Gained: 5,050 EXP

Magical Loot (w/ Best Sale Prices):
1x Everburning Torch (55 GP)
1x Grissre's Spellbook (800 GP)
1x Grissre's Longsword (needs to be identified, you can make a fair assumption that it's a flaming longsword, but not anything else for selling purposes or how to activate it if keeping it)
1x Martial Script (can be understood through knowing dwarven, passing a martial lore check, or using the identify spell)

Mundane Loot (w/ Best Sale Prices):
1x Dagger (1 GP)
2x Grissre's Journals (no money)
2x Treasure Chest (1 GP each)
1x Map with case: Damara (from chests)
2x Maps with cases: Impiltur (from chests)
1x Map with case: The Great Dale (from chests)

Maps you can sell for 3sp each, for 8sp with cases.

Coinage:
28x Platinum Pieces (from treasure chests)
79x Gold Pieces (from treasure chests)
10x Gold Pieces (reward money offered for saving the captives)
343x Silver Pieces (from treasure chests)
320x Copper Pieces (from treasure chests)
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Merc

Session Thoughts:
Well, not the very best of starts, sadly. The enemy was pathetically easy for you guys, and there were some problems with map stuff and entirely too long intro (my fault, I adlibbed too much rather than writing out the important stuff prior to session). Also, I drew myself into a corner by making it difficult terrain, and not familiarizing myself entirely with it. Oh well, live and learn. I'll try to give a better session next time.

Logs:[/u]
[08:57] <DM-Meroko> ----
[09:09] <DM-Meroko> It's a nice and sunny morning in the Damara region today. Our would-be heroes find themselves in a temple of Ilmater, for a variety of reasons. Perhaps to pay their respects, a search for their deity's expectations of them, or free lodging for the night, or something else. Regardless, this is where three people find themselves when a frantic set of men rush through the temple doors. Held in a makeshift stretcher, people can see a sweating and shaking young girl, muttering "Papa..." in a worried tone. One of the men carrying her, one of the younger clergymen of the temple shouts, "Someone get Talin!"
[09:12] * Calathra is loitering around, reading through one of the Holy Texts of Illmater, and has taken off her scarf and heavy coat while she's indoors. She doesn't really make much of a move as the lady is brought in...
[09:12] * Dinadan looks up from his prayers, blinking away his reverie. Someone is hurt? Must help! Approaching, "What is the matter?"
[09:14] <Jeanne> Roused by the commotion, Jeanne swiftly makes her way towards the girl, awaiting the answer to Dinadan's question as she observes the child.
[09:19] <DM-Meroko> The men all set the girl down gently while waiting for this Talin. "We found this girl hurt along the path between Ilmwatch and here. We're not sure what happened but she was definitely attacked by something. If Raenan here hadn't heard her call weakly for her dad from the side of the road..." one of the men answers Dinadan in a grim tone while briefly looking towards another man.
[09:19] <DM-Meroko> Looking back towards the shaking young girl, he looks at the faint wounds. "How horrible..."
[09:21] * Calathra turns a page in the Holy Book.
[09:23] <DM-Meroko> "Raenan! William! Mathew! What happened here?" a very old man in some simple robes asks as he rushes through one of the doors at the back of the temple. The man who was talking to Dinadan immideately begins to explain what he just told the paladin, adding, "We stabilized her wounds as best we could, but Raenan and Mathew were out of spells, and I only had a bit of power left with which to heal her."
[09:24] <DM-Meroko> Talin nods at that and looks at Dinadan. "Who are you?" he asks, before shaking his head. "Nevermind, let's look at the girl." With that he starts looking over the girl, casting a few more healing spells to start with.
[09:24] <Dinadan> "A champion of those that cannot defend themselves." For a moment it even sounds intelligent! "I can help you."
[09:25] <Jeanne> "Merciful Sune, extend thy protection over this child," Jeanne prays, closing her eyes and spreading her arms over the laying girl.
[09:28] <DM-Meroko> The girl seems to calm down a bit, and the traces of wounds left after William's prior helping actions all but disappear, though she still whispers the words, "Papa..." one final time before she slips into a calm sleep. Talin looks at Jeanne and Dinadan, stroking his beard in thought before nodding. "Well, the girl seems a bit more stable now, so until she awakens, I don't think there's more we can do."
[09:30] <Jeanne> "Did you see her father near the place she was found?" Jeanne asks the men who brought the girl in.
[09:30] * Calathra turns a page in the Holy Book.
[09:31] * Dinadan simply stands straight and tall, waiting.
[09:35] <DM-Meroko> It's a few hours later when the girl seems to awaken. Dinadan and Jeanne have been talking with Talin for the time being, waiting for just this since all three clerics answered Jeanne that they saw no mention of a father besides some traces of blood in the ground. Part of that time has been spent by Jeanne showing off her celestial friend, a very blushing Maron to the intrigued priest, having never heard of such a bond occuring. [more]
[09:36] <DM-Meroko> Calathra herself has just spent the entire time reading, apparently very fascinated in the book. "Mrph...Papa?" the girl asks as she rubs her eyes, before becoming frantic as if realizing something. "Papa?!?"
[09:42] <Dinadan> Dinadan watches. "Your father is inside."
[09:44] <DM-Meroko> "Shh, calm down, child. You're safe now," Talin says in an encouraging tone, though he does throw Dinadan a small frown before he approaches the girl. "Papa is here?" the girl says in a hopeful tone. "You got him away from those zombie things?"
[09:44] * Calathra turns a page in the Holy Book.
[09:47] <DM-Meroko> The priest's face pales. "Zombies?" he mutters. "Uhuh, these zombies attacked us and took my papa," she says. "You got him, right? You said you did!"
[09:52] <DM-Meroko> The old man looks at Dinadan with a frown and shakes his head as he turns to speak to the girl. "Child, the tin can over there was trying to calm you down," he tries to break it to her gently, as he rests his hand on her shoulder. "Can you tell me where you saw those 'zombies' take your dad? We want to help."
[09:53] * Dinadan merely nods. D'oh.
[09:55] <DM-Meroko> "Papa isn't here?" she asks, her lip trembling. Talin shakes his head. "If you tell us where they went, we can get him back for you though. I promise," he says gently. The girl looks like she's going to cry, but nods. "They went to the woods, even the crazy zombie that started screaming and ran went that way. I tried to follow, but I hurt too much." [more]
[10:01] <DM-Meroko> Talin nods and waves for one of his younger peers to come. Mathew steps forward, and Talin whispers to take the girl to one of the rooms in the back and let her rest. After Mathew and the girl leave, Talin's shoulders droop, making him look older. Looking towards Jeanne and Dinadan, he asks, "You heard what she said. We can forget a rescue mission, but we can't have zombies stepping out of Rawlinswood and attacking travelers." [more]
[10:02] <Dinadan> A short, powerful nod from Dinadan. "I will destroy the zombies," he says, "I will protect those innocents."
[10:04] * Calathra closes the Holy Book with a low thud.
[10:04] <Jeanne> "I cannot let such evil lie undisturbed," Jeanne agrees.
[10:04] <DM-Meroko> Talin is startled out of asking his question, and nods. "Good, good. I was a fraid I would have to warn the governing body at Trail's end, but that would take too long for something to be done. Thank you."
[10:04] * Calathra stands up and leaves the temple!
[10:05] <Dinadan> "Then let us go," Dinadan says, voice perking up. To protection! To battle!
[10:05] <Jeanne> Her meager worldly possessions quickly gathered, Jeanne leaves as well in the indicated direction.
[10:06] <DM-Meroko> The old man is a little startled by the thud of the book, and frown at the departing halfling. "I hope she found what she was looking for," he mutters before nodding to Dinadan as Jeanne also departs. "If you are successful, please inform us so we know."
[10:06] <DM-Meroko> ---
[10:38] <DM-Meroko> Four hours later, the paladins have made it to the woods, although as they seem to be somewhat flooded, making it feel more like a swamp. Ahead of them, they see a halfling female heading towards the woods. She looks a bit familiar, from the temple it looks like.
[10:40] * Calathra vanishes into the swamp, walking lightly on top of the muddy surface and slipping back and forth through the trees and undergrowth. OOC: Hiding and move silenting~
[10:41] <Calathra> roll 1d20+14 hide (+? from cover?)
[10:41] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+14 hide (+? from cover?) and gets 27." [1d20=13]
[10:42] <Calathra> roll 1d20+16 move silently (-? from terrain?)
[10:42] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+16 move silently (-? from terrain?) and gets 32." [1d20=16]
[10:42] <Jeanne> With a glance at Dinadan, Jeanne heads straight for the swamp-like woods, her longbow in her arms.
[10:44] * Dinadan does the same, long sword out and armor ready. Justice, yes?
[10:44] <DM-Meroko> The halfling vanishes from sight for Jeanne and Dinadan, as they head down the swamp terrain. OOC: Which way are you guys heading?
[10:45] <Jeanne> OOC: straight down?  >_>
[10:45] <Calathra> OOC: Yeah basically.
[10:47] <DM-Meroko> After traveling a bit, Calathra sees a monstrosity of a human, probably the so called zombie of the young girl. It doesn't look to be decomposing, but it doesn't look very alive either. It's a pervesion of life, and it seems to be alone.
[10:47] * Calathra sneaks up behind it!
[10:48] <DM-Meroko> ooc: do another move silently and hide check
[10:48] <Calathra> roll 1d20+14
[10:48] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+14 and gets 22." [1d20=8]
[10:48] <Calathra> roll 1d20+16
[10:48] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+16 and gets 17." [1d20=1]
[10:49] <DM-Meroko> roll 1d20+5
[10:49] * Hatbot --> "DM-Meroko rolls 1d20+5 and gets 15." [1d20=10]
[10:49] <DM-Meroko> roll 1d20+5
[10:49] * Hatbot --> "DM-Meroko rolls 1d20+5 and gets 15." [1d20=10]
[10:49] <DM-Meroko> The halfling is right on top of it and it doesn't notice a thing! OOC: Go
[10:50] * Calathra leaps into action, mud-stained scarf whipping about around her! Swords flash in a fiery swirl, as she twists and leaps...
[10:50] <Calathra> OOC: Switching to Giant-Killer style, using flashing sun and burning brand at the same time~
[10:51] <Calathra> roll 1d20+12
[10:51] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+12 and gets 23." [1d20=11]
[10:51] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+12 and gets 26." [1d20=14]
[10:51] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+12 and gets 20." [1d20=8]
[10:51] <Calathra> OOC: do they all hit
[10:52] <DM-Meroko> OOC: All hit. roll damage
[10:53] <Calathra> roll 3d4+39
[10:53] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 3d4+39 and gets 47." [3d4=2, 3, 3]
[10:53] <Calathra> roll 3d6+15
[10:53] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 3d6+15 and gets 24." [3d6=2, 1, 6]
[10:53] <Calathra> OOC: 71~
[10:54] <DM-Meroko> The creature screeches as its attacked, before it falls to the ground, flames dancing on its corpse. The paladins arrive to the scene as the screech occurs, and it seems the paladins weren't the only ones to hear the dying screech.
[10:54] <DM-Meroko> OOC: Roll init
[10:55] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+2
[10:55] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 1d20+2 and gets 11." [1d20=9]
[10:55] <Calathra> roll 1d20+8
[10:55] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+8 and gets 13." [1d20=5]
[10:55] <DM-Meroko> roll 1d20+1
[10:55] * Hatbot --> "DM-Meroko rolls 1d20+1 and gets 7." [1d20=6]
[10:55] * Hatbot --> "DM-Meroko rolls 1d20+1 and gets 4." [1d20=3]
[10:55] * Hatbot --> "DM-Meroko rolls 1d20+1 and gets 19." [1d20=18]
[10:55] * Hatbot --> "DM-Meroko rolls 1d20+1 and gets 21." [1d20=20]
[10:58] <Dinadan> roll 1d20+1
[10:58] * Hatbot --> "Dinadan rolls 1d20+1 and gets 6." [1d20=5]
[11:01] <DM-Meroko> One of the creatures appears from behind the trees and charges at Calathra, slashing at it with its claw when it reaches her, screeching angrily.
[11:01] <DM-Meroko> roll 1d20+3
[11:01] * Hatbot --> "DM-Meroko rolls 1d20+3 and gets 11." [1d20=8]
[11:04] <DM-Meroko> The creature misses however, and screeches again at the halfling as one of its monstrous companions goes after the female paladin, striking with its claw.
[11:12] <DM-Meroko> roll 1d20+5
[11:12] * Hatbot --> "DM-Meroko rolls 1d20+5 and gets 10." [1d20=5]
[11:13] <DM-Meroko> It also misses, sadly. These creatures seem pretty pathetic.
[11:14] <Calathra> OOC: I'm going to hold.
[11:14] <DM-Meroko> OOC: Jeanne, go.
[11:14] <Calathra> OOC: I'll go after CO2 no doubt.
[11:15] * Jeanne leans to the side, letting her bow drop from her fingers as she does so. She proceeds to step back, drawing her chain smoothly and sending it flying at the monster while calling out lightly, "Let's go after this one first, Maron!"
[11:15] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+10
[11:15] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 1d20+10 and gets 11." [1d20=1]
[11:20] <DM-Meroko> Jeanne misses with her chain, but her guardian angel also attacks as it shows itself and unleashes a beam of light at the creature.
[11:20] <DM-Meroko> roll 1d20+3
[11:20] * Hatbot --> "DM-Meroko rolls 1d20+3 and gets 18." [1d20=15]
[11:20] <DM-Meroko> roll 1d6
[11:20] * Hatbot --> "DM-Meroko rolls 1d6 and gets 5." [1d6=5]
[11:21] <DM-Meroko> The creature screeches as the beam of light hits it, while another of its companions runs towards Jeanne, traveling around its companion to slash at Jeanne.
[11:21] <DM-Meroko> roll 1d20+3
[11:21] * Hatbot --> "DM-Meroko rolls 1d20+3 and gets 17." [1d20=14]
[11:21] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+10 AoO~
[11:21] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 1d20+10 AoO~ and gets 17." [1d20=7]
[11:22] <Jeanne> roll 2d4+6
[11:22] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 2d4+6 and gets 12." [2d4=3, 3]
[11:22] <DM-Meroko> The creature growls as its hit but it hits back as well.
[11:23] <DM-Meroko> roll 1d4
[11:25] * Hatbot --> "DM-Meroko rolls 1d4 and gets 1." [1d4=1]
[11:28] * Dinadan sees the undead horror in front of him - or whatever it is. Smash it. Smash it good. So Dinadan does just that, going after the lower one attacking Jeanne!
[11:29] <Dinadan> roll 1d20+5
[11:29] * Hatbot --> "Dinadan rolls 1d20+5 and gets 9." [1d20=3]
[11:29] <Dinadan> OOC - Er, +6. Excuse me.
[11:30] <Jeanne> OOC: For a glorious 9?  >_>
[11:30] <Dinadan> OOC: Yep!
[11:31] <DM-Meroko> Dinadan misses however, his sword slashing downward heavily, but unfortunately going straight down at the creature's side.
[11:32] <DM-Meroko> The last creature screeches as it runs towards the halfling, and again, follows the same pattern as all the other creatures, slashing at it with one of its claws.
[11:32] <DM-Meroko> roll 1d20+5
[11:32] * Hatbot --> "DM-Meroko rolls 1d20+5 and gets 17." [1d20=12]
[11:32] <Calathra> OOC: Howwwwwwwww can it raech meeeee
[11:32] <Calathra> OOC: That's like 50 feet
[11:33] <DM-Meroko> ooc: charge to the square right below. Or can you only charge if you end up face to face? It still ends up in a square next to you at 55 feet.
[11:33] <Calathra> OOC: It's difficult terrain!
[11:33] <Calathra> OOC: You can't even charge in it unless you're special like me
[11:33] <DM-Meroko> ooc: ...ah right. I'm stupid. -_-
[11:33] <DM-Meroko> The creature wishes it could slash at Calathra, but unfortunately, it cannot move close enough.
[11:34] * Calathra runs past the creature threatening her, right up to the one heading towards her! (Readied action to use death mark when the other one gives chase and comes after me.)
[11:34] <Calathra> OOC: I also trigger an AoO from the one I'm fighting...
[11:36] <DM-Meroko> roll 1d20+1
[11:36] * Hatbot --> "DM-Meroko rolls 1d20+1 and gets 6." [1d20=5]
[11:37] <DM-Meroko> The creature attempts to bite Calathra as she runs past it, but its sharp teeth only rattle in the wind left behind by the halfling.
* Retrieving #dunes modes...
[11:40] <DM-Meroko> Not discouraged by its failure to bite Calathra in half, it shuffles after the halfling. The one by Jeanne takes a step forward and slashes at Jeanne with both its claws.
[11:40] <DM-Meroko> roll 1d20+3
[11:40] * Hatbot --> "DM-Meroko rolls 1d20+3 and gets 15." [1d20=12]
[11:40] <DM-Meroko> roll 1d20+3
[11:40] * Hatbot --> "DM-Meroko rolls 1d20+3 and gets 8." [1d20=5]
[11:41] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+10 AoO whee~
[11:41] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 1d20+10 AoO whee~ and gets 24." [1d20=14]
[11:41] <Jeanne> roll 2d4+6
[11:41] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 2d4+6 and gets 14." [2d4=4, 4]
[11:42] <Jeanne> OOC: He'll have to sadly die another day~
[11:42] <DM-Meroko> ooc: it's your turn. kill it now if you want. >_>
[11:43] <Jeanne> OOC: Same roll, want to use it?
[11:43] <DM-Meroko> ooc: roll again. >_>
[11:44] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+10 epic miss
[11:44] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 1d20+10 epic miss and gets 13." [1d20=3]
[11:44] <DM-Meroko> ooc: hit.
[11:44] <Jeanne> roll 2d4+6 epic hit
[11:44] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 2d4+6 epic hit and gets 9." [2d4=1, 2]
[11:45] <DM-Meroko> The creature falls to the ground, and begins to bleed to death as its companion attacks Jeanne in retribution.
[11:45] <DM-Meroko> roll 1d20+3
[11:46] <DM-Meroko> roll 1d20+3
[11:46] * Hatbot --> "DM-Meroko rolls 1d20+3 and gets 16." [1d20=13]
[11:46] * Hatbot --> "DM-Meroko rolls 1d20+3 and gets 13." [1d20=10]
[11:47] <DM-Meroko> Before it attacks, Jeanne's angel launches another light beam at the creature.
[11:47] <DM-Meroko> roll 1d20+3
[11:47] * Hatbot --> "DM-Meroko rolls 1d20+3 and gets 13." [1d20=10]
[11:48] <DM-Meroko> roll 1d6
[11:48] * Hatbot --> "DM-Meroko rolls 1d6 and gets 1." [1d6=1]
[11:49] <DM-Meroko> the creature grunts at the love tap as one of its claws hit Jeanne.
[11:49] <DM-Meroko> roll 1d4
[11:49] * Hatbot --> "DM-Meroko rolls 1d4 and gets 2." [1d4=2]
[11:52] * Dinadan goes after the monster still alive, harrassing JEane. Smash, hurt, maim the evil!
[11:52] <Dinadan> roll 1d20+6
[11:52] * Hatbot --> "Dinadan rolls 1d20+6 and gets 21." [1d20=15]
[11:52] <Dinadan> roll 1d8
[11:52] * Hatbot --> "Dinadan rolls 1d8 and gets 7." [1d8=7]
[11:53] <DM-Meroko> The creature screeches, but does not die, still standing up, although it bleeds heavily. One more attack will probably kill it, or leave it dying.
[11:56] <DM-Meroko> The creature that Calathra was heading towards moves a step closer and is about to attack, when Calathra unleashes the attack she had readied.
[11:57] <Jeanne> roll 6d6 fire reflex dc 16~
[11:57] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 6d6 fire reflex dc 16~ and gets 17." [6d6=4, 1, 1, 5, 2, 4]
[11:59] <DM-Meroko> roll 1d20+4
[11:59] <DM-Meroko> roll 1d20+4
[11:59] * Hatbot --> "DM-Meroko rolls 1d20+4 and gets 14." [1d20=10]
[11:59] * Hatbot --> "DM-Meroko rolls 1d20+4 and gets 8." [1d20=4]
[11:59] <DM-Meroko> Both creatures around Calathra die.
[12:00] <DM-Meroko> The last remaining creature seems to understand that death is impending. It attempts to bite Jeanne, before it shall perish.
[12:00] <DM-Meroko> roll 1d20+1
[12:00] * Hatbot --> "DM-Meroko rolls 1d20+1 and gets 19." [1d20=18]
[12:01] <DM-Meroko> roll 1d8
[12:01] * Hatbot --> "DM-Meroko rolls 1d8 and gets 4." [1d8=4]
[12:01] <DM-Meroko> make a fort save
[12:01] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+8
[12:01] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 1d20+8 and gets 13." [1d20=5]
[12:02] <DM-Meroko> The creature bites a small chunk of meat from Jeanne's arm, but while it tries to poison her body with its saliva, Jeanne resists the effects of the poison.
[12:02] <DM-Meroko> ooc: go, and massacre the poor schmuck.
[12:02] <Jeanne> "It bit me!" she exclaims, chain glowing with holy energy. "I can't believe it bit me!"
[12:02] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+14 smite~
[12:02] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 1d20+14 smite~ and gets 34." [1d20=20]
[12:02] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+14 smite~ confirm~
[12:02] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 1d20+14 smite~ confirm~ and gets 22." [1d20=8]
[12:03] <DM-Meroko> ooc: smite away at the evil thing.
[12:04] <Jeanne> roll 4d4+11
[12:04] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 4d4+11 and gets 20." [4d4=3, 2, 3, 1]
[12:05] <DM-Meroko> Its body is sliced in two as the chain goes through its body and Jeanne's swinging of the chain causes the body to go kaplooie.
[12:05] <DM-Meroko> ooc: you guys beat the crap out of some really pathetic CR2 creatures.
[12:06] <DM-Meroko> ooc: really, really, really pathetic.
[12:06] <Dinadan> OOC: Victory music!

Anastasia

QuoteWell, not the very best of starts, sadly. The enemy was pathetically easy for you guys, and there were some problems with map stuff and entirely too long intro (my fault, I adlibbed too much rather than writing out the important stuff prior to session). Also, I drew myself into a corner by making it difficult terrain, and not familiarizing myself entirely with it. Oh well, live and learn. I'll try to give a better session next time.

Pretty much that. This was all GM growing/learning stuff. No matter how much you watch and read, you have to have these sort of sessions to learn. Just work on it and you'll be fine.

EXP's probably over EXP since we had -no danger- whatsoever, but on the other hand, it also depends on how much we get for what's ahead. I'd have held off and balanced the whole thing at the end, I think.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Merc

Session Thoughts:[/u]
While I was still making mistakes, I felt a bit more confident about what I was doing, and I think the enemies were better selected to provide a threat without being unbeatable or cannon fodder.

I didn't really get to put much preparation into this session, not as much as I would have liked, but I think it worked well enough for me winging a good part of it. Thankfully, I decided to try to keep it simple enough to not need a map, and wasn't asked for one.

For the most part, I think the session went fairly well. Not as great as the sessions I'd expect from Dune, Rat or Eb, but good enough to feel satisfied with myself.

[09:07] <Merc> Last we saw them, a trio consisting of two paladins and a pyromaniac halfling annihalated some cannon fodder in a swampy area. The two paladins note that these creatures were not 'zombies' as the girl called them though, although they do not recognize what they might be. Maron whispers to Jeanne her own observations, "Uhm, whatever those things were, I don't think they were even undead, Jeanne..."
[09:08] * Calathra has stopped in place for a moment, and is utterly still (not to mention pristine, and free of blood and muck.)
[09:09] * Jeanne frowns. "Whatever they were, we can't just let them attack and abduct people," she responds.
[09:11] <Dinadan> "Yes." Dinadan nods, that much obvious. Flatly obvious, even to him as he looks about.
[09:11] <Merc> Jeanne's guardian angel agrees with a fierce determined nod as she points at the direction where they were coming from. "They all came from that direction, right Jeanne?"
[09:12] <Jeanne> "Let's go," she says simply in agreement, following said direction, only stopping long enough to pick up her discarded bow.
[09:14] <Dinadan> Dinadan gets ready, taking point.
[09:14] * Calathra abruptly starts heading in that direction, ranging a good sixty feet ahead of the paladins, slipping nimbly through the unhindering swamp ahead.
[09:19] <Merc> The trio traverse deeper and deeper into the flooded forest, Calathra staying nimbly ahead of the two paladins. Eventually, they come to a wide clearing, the ground becoming a bit more stable than the muddy mess they were travelling through. OOC: spot/listen checks
[09:19] <Calathra> roll 1d20+3 spot
[09:19] <Reikobot> Calathra rolled : 1d20+3 spot --> [ 1d20=20 ]{23}
[09:19] <Calathra> roll 1d20+11 listen
[09:19] <Reikobot> Calathra rolled : 1d20+11 listen --> [ 1d20=12 ]{23}
[09:19] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+1 s
[09:19] <Reikobot> Jeanne rolled : 1d20+1 s --> [ 1d20=14 ]{15}
[09:19] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+1 l
[09:19] <Reikobot> Jeanne rolled : 1d20+1 l --> [ 1d20=9 ]{10}
[09:23] <Dinadan> roll 1d20+1 spot
[09:23] <Reikobot> Dinadan rolled : 1d20+1 spot --> [ 1d20=14 ]{15}
[09:23] <Dinadan> roll 1d20+1 listen
[09:23] <Reikobot> Dinadan rolled : 1d20+1 listen --> [ 1d20=3 ]{4}
[09:23] * Calathra frowns to herself, and vanishes into the edge of the clearing, slipping around the side towards something that only she, apparently, can see.
[09:23] * Jeanne sees no reason to divert from her path!
[09:24] * Dinadan sees no reason either!
[09:27] <Merc> roll 1d20+11
[09:27] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 1d20+11 --> [ 1d20=12 ]{23}
[09:31] <Merc> As all three approach the sounds, they begin to see more of the creatures they fought earlier. Almost all of them appear to be down, though one stays up trying to hit a...ball of light? The ball of light fires a missile formed of magic at the remaining creature, felling it, when it seems to notice the two paladins approaching. Its glow seems to brighten at the sight, before the ball of light suddenly ceases to be there.
[09:32] * Calathra troops on to where the light just was, looking passively at the corpses of the.. things.
[09:35] * Dinadan stares at the light as it vanishes, looking down at the slain creatures. Something's weird here, but it gives him a headache to think about too much.
[09:36] <Merc> A few seconds after Calathra begins to look over the corpses, the ball of light suddenly appears again! Floating in the air some thirty feet above the halfling, it fires a missile down at the swordsage.
[09:38] <Merc> roll 1d4+1
[09:38] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 1d4+1 --> [ 1d4=4 ]{5}
[09:38] <Merc> ooc: roll init
[09:38] <Calathra> roll 1d20+8
[09:38] <Reikobot> Calathra rolled : 1d20+8 --> [ 1d20=3 ]{11}
[09:39] <Merc> roll 1d20+9
[09:39] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 1d20+9 --> [ 1d20=2 ]{11}
[09:40] * Jeanne startles at the floating light's appearance, studying it briefly.
[09:41] <Dinadan> roll 1d20+1
[09:41] <Reikobot> Dinadan rolled : 1d20+1 --> [ 1d20=17 ]{18}
[09:41] <Merc> Jeanne notes that it is EVIL!
[09:42] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+2
[09:42] <Reikobot> Jeanne rolled : 1d20+2 --> [ 1d20=17 ]{19}
[09:44] * Merc changes topic to 'Jeanne > Dinadan > Nyth = Calathra'
[09:44] <Jeanne> "Maron, we must help her!" Jeanne calls out, drawing her bow and immediately loosening an arrow at the floating creature!
[09:44] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+8
[09:44] <Reikobot> Jeanne rolled : 1d20+8 --> [ 1d20=16 ]{24}
[09:45] <Jeanne> roll 1d8+4
[09:45] <Reikobot> Jeanne rolled : 1d8+4 --> [ 1d8=5 ]{9}
[09:46] <Merc> Maron nods and a beam of light explodes out of her arms out towards the ball.
[09:46] <Merc> roll 1d20+3
[09:46] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 1d20+3 --> [ 1d20=6 ]{9}
[09:47] <Merc> Maron's beam goes wide, going through a nearby tree and its branches. Jeanne's attack however manages to hit it, the ball glowing wildly as a result.
[09:48] <Merc> ooc: go Din Din.
[09:49] <Dinadan> OOC- Can I charge and reach the ball this round?
[09:49] <Merc> ooc: It's floating 20 feet up in the air.
[09:50] <Dinadan> OOC - You can tell I slept poorly last night.
[09:50] <Merc> ooc = *pats*
[09:50] * Dinadan balefully stares up at the ball. Evil ball. Evil ball he can't get to. (Holding.)
[09:51] <Merc> ooc: Calathra-chaaaaaan!
[09:51] <Calathra> OOC: -san to you
[09:55] <Calathra> Calathra vanishes, transforming into a brief twist of shadow! In an eyeblink, she stands on a branch above the ball of light.. albeit balancing rather precariously on the branch.
[09:55] <Calathra> OOC: I'll stick with 40ft up
[09:55] <Merc> ooc: *nods* go then, Calathra-hime!
[09:55] <Calathra> OOC: I have gone
[09:55] <Merc> ooc: so you have!
[09:55] <Calathra> OOC: Hmm
[09:55] <Calathra> OOC: I still have a move action!
[09:55] <Calathra> OOC: But I don't think I need it, so never mind
[09:56] <Merc> As Calathra teleports up to a height just above the ball of light, the nyth flies towards the halfling after spotting it, and moves to bite it!
[09:56] <Merc> roll 1d20+15
[09:56] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 1d20+15 --> [ 1d20=5 ]{20}
[09:57] <Calathra> OOC: Miss
[09:57] <Merc> The nyth misses its attack, as it flashes with light, probably annoyed at missing.
[09:57] <Merc> ooc: Jeanne-chan, your turn again, unless Dinadan is still holding!
[09:59] * Jeanne frowns at the more difficult target the ball of light presents now, but shoots another arrow at it nonetheless, approaching it and the halfling.
[09:59] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+4
[09:59] <Reikobot> Jeanne rolled : 1d20+4 --> [ 1d20=15 ]{19}
[09:59] <Jeanne> roll 1d8+4
[09:59] <Reikobot> Jeanne rolled : 1d8+4 --> [ 1d8=8 ]{12}
[09:59] <Dinadan> OOC - I'll wait for my tick anyway.
[10:02] <Merc> Maron being fairly certain that she won't be able to hit the ball of light without possibly hitting the halfling that seems to be helping Jeanne, decides to instead cast a spell! OOC: Protection from evil.
[10:04] <Merc> Oh, and Jeanne misses on her attack while Maron casts her spell.
[10:09] * Dinadan gathers in the power of light and the gods, making a burst of Holy Wrath at the airborne evil!
[10:10] <Dinadan> roll 5d6 dc 16 for half
[10:11] <Reikobot> Dinadan rolled : 5d6 dc 16 for half --> [ 5d6=16 ]{16}
[10:11] <Merc> The nyth doesn't even attempt to dodge as the ball of divine fire flies towards it!
[10:11] <Merc> ooc: Go Calathra-hime.
[10:13] <Calathra> OOC: What, did it not hit or something?
[10:13] * Calathra whispers something that nobody- not even herself- can really hear, and he tiny blades twist and evoke a huge swath of fire, carving all about the accursed ball of light!
[10:14] <Calathra> OOC: roofles flashingsun + burning blade
[10:14] <Calathra> roll 1d20+8
[10:14] <Reikobot> Calathra rolled : 1d20+8 --> [ 1d20=13 ]{21}
[10:14] <Reikobot> Calathra rolled : 1d20+8 --> [ 1d20=18 ]{26}
[10:14] <Reikobot> Calathra rolled : 1d20+8 --> [ 1d20=19 ]{27}
[10:14] <Calathra> OOC: What hits
[10:14] <Merc> ooc: second and third hit
[10:15] <Calathra> roll 2d4+15 normal damage
[10:15] <Reikobot> Calathra rolled : 2d4+15 normal damage --> [ 2d4=6 ]{21}
[10:15] <Calathra> roll 2d6+10 flaming damage
[10:15] <Reikobot> Calathra rolled : 2d6+10 flaming damage --> [ 2d6=6 ]{16}
[10:20] <Merc> The nyth flashes and attacks Calathra with another bite!
[10:20] <Merc> roll 1d20+15
[10:20] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 1d20+15 --> [ 1d20=13 ]{28}
[10:20] <Calathra> OOC: Assuredly hits
[10:20] <Merc> roll 1d6-2
[10:20] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 1d6-2 --> [ 1d6=2 ]{0}
[10:20] <Merc> ooc: heh, 1 damage
[10:21] * Calathra looks mildy upset.
[10:21] <Merc> ooc: Jeanne-chan!
[10:23] * Jeanne looks mildly jealous for a moment, but then continues her assault, firing an arrow straight up at the glowing creature!
[10:23] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+4
[10:23] <Reikobot> Jeanne rolled : 1d20+4 --> [ 1d20=11 ]{15}
[10:24] <Merc> The arrow misses by a wide margin as Maron takes a risk and fires a beam of light upwards, hopefully not hitting the halfling!
[10:24] <Merc> roll 1d20+3
[10:24] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 1d20+3 --> [ 1d20=12 ]{15}
[10:24] <Merc> The beam of light also misses.
[10:26] * Dinadan grunts, channeling divine power once more!
[10:26] <Dinadan> roll 5d6 dc 16 for half
[10:26] <Reikobot> Dinadan rolled : 5d6 dc 16 for half --> [ 5d6=22 ]{22}
[10:26] <Merc> The creature attempts to dodge this time, a bit annoyed that the attack wasn't what it had thought the first time the burst of magic hit it!
[10:27] <Merc> roll 1d20+13
[10:27] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 1d20+13 --> [ 1d20=4 ]{17}
[10:29] <Merc> The creature flashes again, and begins to turn invisible while moving away. OOC: Since you're on the same turn you can strike it before it vanishes, Calathra.
[10:30] * Calathra stabs at the weird pixie-thing, baffled by the way it's remained virtually unhurt thus far!
[10:30] <Calathra> roll 1d20+10
[10:30] <Calathra> roll 1d20+10
[10:30] <Reikobot> Calathra rolled : 1d20+10 --> [ 1d20=9 ]{19}
[10:30] <Reikobot> Calathra rolled : 1d20+10 --> [ 1d20=17 ]{27}
[10:30] <Merc> ooc: second hits
[10:31] <Calathra> roll 1d4+3 epic
[10:31] <Reikobot> Calathra rolled : 1d4+3 epic --> [ 1d4=2 ]{5}
[10:33] <Merc> The creature flashes again as it's hit before it vanishes!
[10:34] * Jeanne waves at the halfling above her. "Are you unhurt?" she asks.
[10:35] * Calathra nods.
[10:35] * Calathra hops down from branch to branch until she lands on the ground, looking very slightly battered, and with a slight, teeth-shaped pair of marks imbedded into her scarf.
[10:37] <Jeanne> "Did you see more than a ball of light?" Jeanne asks her next. "You were very close to it."
[10:37] * Calathra points in the direction she saw the thing start moving away, and shrugs her shoulders.
[10:38] * Dinadan just nods grimly.
[10:38] * Jeanne frowns, and goes to retrieve her dropped weapon, before rejoining the others.
[10:38] * Calathra is already heading in that direction!
[10:38] * Jeanne follows!
[10:40] * Dinadan follows.
[10:44] <Merc> The nyth had been heading deeper into the forest when it started to disappear. Deeper and deeper they go, until they finally see it again. It seems to have turned a deep red color, glowing brightly, as it wavers some distance ahead of the trio.
[10:44] <Merc> ooc: spot/listen checks again.
[10:44] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+1 s
[10:44] <Reikobot> Jeanne rolled : 1d20+1 s --> [ 1d20=14 ]{15}
[10:44] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+1 l
[10:44] <Reikobot> Jeanne rolled : 1d20+1 l --> [ 1d20=19 ]{20}
[10:46] <Calathra> roll 1d20+3
[10:46] <Reikobot> Calathra rolled : 1d20+3 --> [ 1d20=12 ]{15}
[10:46] <Calathra> roll 1d20+11
[10:46] <Reikobot> Calathra rolled : 1d20+11 --> [ 1d20=2 ]{13}
[10:47] <Dinadan> roll 1d20+1 spot
[10:47] <Reikobot> Dinadan rolled : 1d20+1 spot --> [ 1d20=7 ]{8}
[10:47] <Dinadan> roll 1d20+1 listen
[10:47] <Reikobot> Dinadan rolled : 1d20+1 listen --> [ 1d20=9 ]{10}
[10:48] <Merc> The orb glows brighter as you approach it, and continues ahead, still visible.
[10:49] * Calathra flicks out her knives, and sprints towards the thing, fleet of foot and quick of hand!
[10:49] * Jeanne approaches cautiously, looking around for the originator of the sounds she heard. "This might be an ambush," she tells Dinadan, before wincing at the halfling.
[10:49] <Calathra> OOC: Child of Shadow stance~
[10:51] * Dinadan draws his weapon, a curt nod. "Yeah..." he drawls out, getting his shield ready and taking point.
[10:52] <Merc> Not an ambush, but perhaps a trap it seems. As the halfling approaches, the nyth fires a magic missile downward before vanishing! A screech of anger rings out as whatever was hit is apparently awakened and stands up. In front of the halfling, is some sort of humanoid creature, red, ugly, and angry. And also, much larger than the halfling. ooc: init again
[10:52] <Calathra> roll 1d20+8 switching to giant-killer stance orofl
[10:52] <Reikobot> Calathra rolled : 1d20+8 switching to giant-killer stance orofl --> [ 1d20=12 ]{20}
[10:52] <Merc> roll 1d20+2
[10:52] <Dinadan> roll 1d20+1
[10:52] <Reikobot> Dinadan rolled : 1d20+1 --> [ 1d20=17 ]{18}
[10:52] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 1d20+2 --> [ 1d20=17 ]{19}
[10:53] <Merc> roll 1d20+9
[10:53] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 1d20+9 --> [ 1d20=18 ]{27}
[10:53] <Calathra> OOC: well, switching to giant-killer stance on my turn
[10:53] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+2
[10:53] <Reikobot> Jeanne rolled : 1d20+2 --> [ 1d20=15 ]{17}
[10:54] * Merc changes topic to 'Nyth > Calathra > Slaad > Dinadan > Jeanne'
[10:57] <Merc> The ball of light turns a yellowish color, the color the trio had first seen it in, apparently happy with its mischief as it turns invisible!
[10:57] <Merc> Ooc: Calathra-hime
[10:58] * Calathra charges the Slaad, a corona of grey surrounding her swords! They clang against each other with the sound of hammer on iron, and one of them snaps forward towards the creature's heart!
[10:58] <Calathra> OOC: Mountain Hammer Technique ftw, ignores DR
[10:58] <Calathra> roll 1d20+14
[10:58] <Reikobot> Calathra rolled : 1d20+14 --> [ 1d20=20 ]{34}
[10:58] <Calathra> roll 1d20+14 threat
[10:58] <Reikobot> Calathra rolled : 1d20+14 threat --> [ 1d20=11 ]{25}
[10:58] <Calathra> OOC: do I win?
[10:59] <Merc> ooc: Yes. Yes you do. Crit hit.
[10:59] <Calathra> roll 2d4+12
[10:59] <Reikobot> Calathra rolled : 2d4+12 --> [ 2d4=7 ]{19}
[10:59] <Calathra> roll 2d6
[10:59] <Reikobot> Calathra rolled : 2d6 --> [ 2d6=7 ]{7}
[10:59] <Calathra> OOC: 26~
[11:01] <Merc> The creature roars with anger, and counterattacks, moving its jaw forward to attempt to bite the halfling in half, and then slashing at it with its claws.
[11:02] <Merc> roll 1d20+11
[11:02] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 1d20+11 --> [ 1d20=9 ]{20}
[11:02] <Merc> roll 1d20+9
[11:02] <Merc> roll 1d20+9
[11:02] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 1d20+9 --> [ 1d20=8 ]{17}
[11:02] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 1d20+9 --> [ 1d20=20 ]{29}
[11:02] <Merc> ooc: hits?
[11:02] <Calathra> OOC: Last one does, the other two miss
[11:03] <Merc> The slaad misses with its bite, biting into the air above the halfling, and its first claw attack also misses, but the second one connects!
[11:03] <Merc> roll 1d4+2
[11:03] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 1d4+2 --> [ 1d4=2 ]{4}
[11:03] <Merc> ooc: and fort save
[11:03] <Calathra> OOC: Mind over body.. didn't it crit? Well, I'm happy either way
[11:03] <Calathra> roll 1d20+11
[11:03] <Reikobot> Calathra rolled : 1d20+11 --> [ 1d20=13 ]{24}
[11:03] <Merc> roll 1d20 for confirm that I forgot
[11:03] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 1d20 for confirm that I forgot --> [ 1d20=20 ]{20}
[11:04] <Merc> roll 1d4+2 for the crit addition
[11:04] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 1d4+2 for the crit addition --> [ 1d4=1 ]{3}
[11:04] <Merc> Calathra feels that the creature tried to implant something in her, but she manages to resist whatever it was trying to put in her body!
[11:06] <Merc> ooc: Dinadan, your go
[11:07] <Dinadan> OOC - Can I safely rush up to the sladd and go stabby?
[11:07] <Calathra> OOC: Flank ftw
[11:07] <Merc> ooc: you can't charge it, calathra is in the way, but you can go around and flank, yes.
[11:07] * Dinadan whirls around, going to flank the creature and strike!
[11:08] <Dinadan> roll 1d20+5
[11:08] <Reikobot> Dinadan rolled : 1d20+5 --> [ 1d20=19 ]{24}
[11:08] <Dinadan> OOC - +2 more.
[11:08] <Dinadan> roll 1d20+7 crit confirm?
[11:08] <Reikobot> Dinadan rolled : 1d20+7 crit confirm? --> [ 1d20=5 ]{12}
[11:09] <Merc> ooc: normal hit
[11:09] <Dinadan> roll 1d8
[11:09] <Reikobot> Dinadan rolled : 1d8 --> [ 1d8=2 ]{2}
[11:09] <Merc> ooc: Jeanne
[11:11] <Jeanne> Looking concerned, Jeanne fires an arrow at the Slaad, but does not attempt to flank it as well.
[11:11] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+4
[11:11] <Reikobot> Jeanne rolled : 1d20+4 --> [ 1d20=4 ]{8}
[11:13] <Merc> As Jeanne misses, the ball of light reappears floating between Jeanne and the halfling. Glowing a bit, it launches a magic missile at Calathra's back!
[11:13] <Merc> roll 1d4+1
[11:13] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 1d4+1 --> [ 1d4=1 ]{2}
[11:15] <Calathra> It's hard to tell under her heavy coat and long scarf, but Calathra would be looking the worse for the wear, if anyone could see. She flinches from the blast and glances over her shoulder, but rapidly returns to directing her wrath towards the irksome Slaad who tried to rape her.
[11:15] <Calathra> OOC: flashingsun/burningblade
[11:15] <Calathra> roll 1d20+8
[11:15] <Reikobot> Calathra rolled : 1d20+8 --> [ 1d20=12 ]{20}
[11:15] <Reikobot> Calathra rolled : 1d20+8 --> [ 1d20=9 ]{17}
[11:15] <Reikobot> Calathra rolled : 1d20+8 --> [ 1d20=2 ]{10}
[11:15] <Calathra> OOC: Er
[11:15] <Calathra> OOC: All of those are 4 higher
[11:15] <Calathra> OOC: 24, 21, and 14
[11:15] <Merc> ooc: first two hit
[11:16] <Calathra> roll 2d4+23 normal
[11:16] <Reikobot> Calathra rolled : 2d4+23 normal --> [ 2d4=4 ]{27}
[11:16] <Calathra> roll 2d6+10 fire
[11:16] <Reikobot> Calathra rolled : 2d6+10 fire --> [ 2d6=8 ]{18}
[11:17] <Merc> The slaad roars out in pain and proceeds to emit a loud croak. OOC: Everyone, fort save.
[11:17] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+10
[11:17] <Reikobot> Jeanne rolled : 1d20+10 --> [ 1d20=4 ]{14}
[11:17] <Calathra> roll 1d20+3 oops used this
[11:17] <Reikobot> Calathra rolled : 1d20+3 oops used this --> [ 1d20=5 ]{8}
[11:17] <Merc> roll 1d20+2
[11:17] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 1d20+2 --> [ 1d20=17 ]{19}
[11:18] <Dinadan> roll 1d20 (Sec, doing some math)
[11:18] <Reikobot> Dinadan rolled : 1d20 (Sec, doing some math) --> [ 1d20=6 ]{6}
[11:19] <Merc> roll 1d3 Jeanne
[11:19] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 1d3 Jeanne --> [ 1d3=1 ]{1}
[11:20] <Merc> roll 1d3 Calathra
[11:20] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 1d3 Calathra --> [ 1d3=3 ]{3}
[11:20] <Merc> The croak stuns the halfling and Jeanne, but the nyth and Dinadan are unaffected by it. OOC: Jeanne is stunned for 1 round, Calathra for 3.
[11:21] <Merc> ooc: Dinadan go
[11:22] <Merc> roll 1d20+10 using Jeanne's save
[11:22] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 1d20+10 using Jeanne's save --> [ 1d20=12 ]{22}
[11:22] <Merc> Maron is also unaffected by the croak!
[11:22] * Dinadan goes to hopefully finish off the slaad!
[11:22] <Dinadan> roll 1d20+5
[11:22] <Reikobot> Dinadan rolled : 1d20+5 --> [ 1d20=7 ]{12}
[11:24] <Merc> Dinadan's blow misses unfortunately! While Jeanne seems frozen by the croak, Maron proceeds to launch a beam of light at the nyth!
[11:24] <Merc> roll 1d20+3
[11:24] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 1d20+3 --> [ 1d20=17 ]{20}
[11:24] <Merc> The beam of light misses but it catches the Nyth's attention, and it flies towards the frozen Jeanne, attempting to bite her!
[11:24] <Merc> roll 1d20+15
[11:24] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 1d20+15 --> [ 1d20=13 ]{28}
[11:24] <Merc> roll 1d6-2
[11:24] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 1d6-2 --> [ 1d6=6 ]{4}
[11:26] <Merc> The Slaad also attacks while the halfling is frozen in shock, again, attempting to bite and claw it to death for causing it such pain!
[11:26] <Merc> roll 1d20+11
[11:26] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 1d20+11 --> [ 1d20=7 ]{18}
[11:26] <Merc> roll 1d20+9
[11:26] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 1d20+9 --> [ 1d20=14 ]{23}
[11:26] <Merc> roll 1d20+9
[11:26] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 1d20+9 --> [ 1d20=10 ]{19}
[11:28] <Calathra> OOC: They all hit
[11:28] <Merc> ooc: ooouch.
[11:28] <Merc> roll 2d8+2d4+9
[11:28] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 2d8+2d4+9 --> [ 2d8=10 2d4=2 ]{21}
[11:30] <Merc> The halfling drops to the ground, and begins to bleed to death! She's still living though, but she'll need some help from either of the paladins! Thankfully, Jeanne manages to shake off her stunned state as Dinadan gets to act!
[11:30] <Merc> ooc: Dinadan and then Jeanne
[11:30] * Dinadan goes to the halfling, laying on hands to restore it's vitality! OOC - 15 HP given.
[11:33] <Merc> Dinadan heals Calathra, but leaves himself open to an attack from the Slaad as it attempts to bite the paladin!
[11:33] <Merc> roll 1d20+11
[11:33] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 1d20+11 --> [ 1d20=3 ]{14}
[11:33] <Merc> The slaad misses however as the halfling awakens thanks to Dinadan's healing touch.
[11:33] <Merc> ooc: Jeanne go
[11:34] * Jeanne shakes off the effects of the Slaad's croak, and loses her bow in the process, taking a step back. Her trusty chain appears in her hands, its spikes glinting with a promise, and she strikes at the floating ball of light with it!
[11:34] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+14 smite~
[11:34] <Reikobot> Jeanne rolled : 1d20+14 smite~ --> [ 1d20=6 ]{20}
[11:35] <Jeanne> "Maron, help them!" Jeanne pleads as she attacks, gesturing with her head at Dinadan and Calathra.
[11:35] <Merc> The attack hits, though the creature is not evil and takes no extra damage from the smiting.
[11:37] <Merc> ooc: scratch that, mistake
[11:37] <Merc> Jeanne's attack misses the ball of light, but Maron does as Jeanne requests as she casts a cure light wounds spell on the injured halfling.
[11:37] <Merc> roll 1d8+1
[11:37] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 1d8+1 --> [ 1d8=4 ]{5}
[11:39] <Merc> The nyth starts glowing red again as it launches a missile at Jeanne in retaliation!
[11:39] <Merc> roll 1d4+1
[11:39] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 1d4+1 --> [ 1d4=4 ]{5}
[11:39] <Merc> The slaad roars and attacks Dinadan this time, its sharp teeth and claws glistening with the halfling's blood and searching for Dinadan's too!
[11:39] <Merc> roll 1d20+11
[11:39] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 1d20+11 --> [ 1d20=16 ]{27}
[11:40] <Merc> roll 1d20+9
[11:40] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 1d20+9 --> [ 1d20=11 ]{20}
[11:40] <Merc> roll 1d20+9
[11:40] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 1d20+9 --> [ 1d20=8 ]{17}
[11:41] <Merc> roll 2d8+5
[11:41] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 2d8+5 --> [ 2d8=15 ]{20}
[11:41] <Merc> The slaad's teeth pierce through Dinadan's armored body, biting deep into his skin!
[11:43] * Dinadan winces in pain and strikes the slaad back!
[11:43] <Dinadan> roll 1d20+5
[11:43] <Reikobot> Dinadan rolled : 1d20+5 --> [ 1d20=2 ]{7}
[11:44] <Merc> Dinadan's swing goes wide, the slaad moving backwards and avoiding the attack!
[11:44] <Merc> ooc: Jeanne
[11:45] <Jeanne> Her spiked chain glowing with divine energy, she strikes at the glowing creature once more!
[11:45] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+14 smite~
[11:45] <Reikobot> Jeanne rolled : 1d20+14 smite~ --> [ 1d20=19 ]{33}
[11:46] <Jeanne> roll 2d4+11
[11:46] <Reikobot> Jeanne rolled : 2d4+11 --> [ 2d4=5 ]{16}
[11:46] <Merc> The nyth is ripped into pieces by Jeanne's attack, glowing bits of light crashing into the ground before the light quickly dies out.
[11:47] <Merc> With the nyth dead, Maron focuses her attention on the remaining threat, unleashing another beam of light!
[11:47] <Merc> roll 1d20+3
[11:47] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 1d20+3 --> [ 1d20=18 ]{21}
[11:47] <Merc> roll 1d6
[11:47] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 1d6 --> [ 1d6=2 ]{2}
[11:48] <Merc> The beam of light hits and causes the Slaad to growl, but the Slaad continues its fierce assault on Dinadan, even as Calathra begins to shake off her stunned state. OOC: Next round you're free to go if the Slaad's not dead, Calathra-hime.
[11:48] <Merc> roll 1d20+11
[11:49] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 1d20+11 --> [ 1d20=11 ]{22}
[11:49] <Merc> roll 1d20+9
[11:49] <Merc> roll 1d20+9
[11:49] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 1d20+9 --> [ 1d20=5 ]{14}
[11:49] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 1d20+9 --> [ 1d20=1 ]{10}
[11:49] <Merc> All of the slaad's attacks hit air however, letting Dinadan go on the offensive!
[11:51] * ChanServ sets mode: +ao Ebiris Ebiris
[11:52] * Dinadan winces in pain and strikes the slaad back yet again, round 2 try go!
[11:52] <Dinadan> roll 1d20+5
[11:52] <Reikobot> Dinadan rolled : 1d20+5 --> [ 1d20=5 ]{10}
[11:52] <Merc> ooc: Hatbot hates Dinadan
[11:53] <Merc> Dinadan's attack unfortunately misses again, though he continues to keep its attention away from the halfling thankfully!
[11:58] * Jeanne helps Dinadan flank the Slaad!
[11:58] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+12
[11:58] <Reikobot> Jeanne rolled : 1d20+12 --> [ 1d20=6 ]{18}
[11:58] <Merc> The attack barely misses, causing the slaad some concern, but before anything can happen Maron tries something different as she spots Calathra beginning to move and attempts to command the creature to fall, leaving it prone for the halfling to hopefully finish off! "Fall!" she shouts at the slaad with all the force she can muster.
[11:58] <Merc> roll 1d20+3
[11:58] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 1d20+3 --> [ 1d20=18 ]{21}
[11:59] <Merc> The slaad resists the little angel's command as Calathra recovers fully, ready for action!
[12:01] * Calathra picks herself up from the ground, ready to twist out the way of any counterattack the thing might deign to throw at her!
[12:01] <Calathra> OOC: I'm using TOTAL DEFENCE and standing up, AC of 26 vs whatever it might do to me with an AoO
[12:01] <Calathra> OOC: And 30 vs. regular attacks when I'm standing
[12:01] <Merc> ooc: *nods*
[12:02] <Merc> The slaad spots the halfling stand up, and a hint of fear shows in its eyes as it recalls the pain the halfling gave it. Not wanting it to do anything, the Slaad immidiately attempts to bite the halfling before it can attack!
[12:02] <Merc> roll 1d20+11
[12:02] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 1d20+11 --> [ 1d20=16 ]{27}
[12:04] <Merc> The attack misses as the halfling stands, her defense prepared for the attack she knew would come.
[12:08] <Merc> The slaad knows the threat the halfling posed when it was attacking, and begins to back away from the small terror, as it attempts to cast a spell that would summon some back up for it.
[12:08] <Merc> roll 1d100
[12:08] <Reikobot> Merc rolled : 1d100 --> [ 1d100=25 ]{25}
[12:08] <Merc> The spell fails however, and the slaad is all alone, and open to attacks.
[12:08] <Merc> ooc: Dinadan and Jeanne go
[12:09] * Dinadan once again stabs the irritating slaad!
[12:09] <Dinadan> roll 1d20+5
[12:09] <Reikobot> Dinadan rolled : 1d20+5 --> [ 1d20=4 ]{9}
[12:10] <Merc> Dinadan misses yet again. Its almost as if the fates are conspiring against him!
[12:10] * Jeanne presses on with her attack, confident that the four of them combined would soon take the Slaad down!
[12:10] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+12
[12:10] <Reikobot> Jeanne rolled : 1d20+12 --> [ 1d20=18 ]{30}
[12:10] <Merc> ooc: hit
[12:10] <Jeanne> roll 2d4+6
[12:10] <Reikobot> Jeanne rolled : 2d4+6 --> [ 2d4=5 ]{11}
[12:11] <Merc> Jeanne does it, her spiked chain causing the creature enough wounds to fall! The creature cries as it collapses, blood pooling around the dying creature.
[12:13] * Jeanne looks at Calathra in concern, now that the threat has been eliminated, and touches her shoulder with a glowing hand to help her regain her strength.
[12:14] <Merc> The trio of heroes take this time to relax now that combat is definitely over, and heal their wounds, the slaad slowly bleed to death where they leave it.
[12:14] <Merc> ---

Merc

*sigh* I went back to making quite a few of silly mistakes, though I don't think it went too bad. Definitely better than the first session. Not quite as good as the second though. I kinda winged it and just ended up heavily modifying a worthless monster into a more threatening monster. I think I gave it too much HP though (or 1-2 two points more natural armor than I should have), the battle versus two of theses "Greater" Chosen Ones took way longer than expected. On the other hand, I at least got to the main adventure's villain introduction. I had planned to make him a dangerous opponent with a friendly facade though, but somehow he ended up coming out like friendly lunatic Joker type character. Go figure.

Kills:[/u]
Calathra: 1 Greater Chosen One (team effort! Even Maron helped with softening it up)
Jeanne: 1 Greater Chosen One (softened up by Calathra)

[09:05] <Merc> It's been a while since the trio that journeyed into the forest dealt with an evil ball of light and some angry red creature. Having healed their injuries, particularly the halfling that came quite close to death's embrace, they are ready to continue deeper into the forest.
[09:07] * Calathra is rather more cautious, now, staying much closer to the pair of knights than she was previously.
[09:07] * Dinadan looks about and then at the halfling, nodding. Yes. The forest is quite deep and full of evil. Dinadan stays close, in front with arms and shield out, just in case.
[09:13] <Merc> Continuing on, the three warriors note the threes are growing a little less clustered together, making it easier to look ahead. It looks like there's something ahead that's definitely man-made. Looks like a wall? IS there a building up ahead?
[09:14] * Calathra raises her hand in a gesture to stop. Pointing at the paladins and then pointing at the ground they are near, she then indicates herself, and points at the structure. Cocking her head, she awaits some kind of response.
[09:14] * Dinadan peers ahead, trying to get a look.
[09:15] * Calathra sets mode: +o Jeanne
[09:16] <Jeanne> Holding her chain gingerly, Jeanne glances at Calathra, before nodding at her. "If that's what you want," she says.
[09:17] <Merc> It looks like stone to Dinadan. Some moss and such covering parts of it. Nothing in particular grabs his attention so far.
[09:17] * Calathra nods with an etenrally flat expression, and then scampers off towards the wall, quiet as a butterfly.
[09:17] <Calathra> OOC: Hiding/Silenting as my epic scouting journey begins.
[09:18] <Merc> ooc: move silently/hide checks then.
[09:18] <Calathra> roll 1d20+16
[09:18] <Calathra> roll 1d20+14
[09:18] <Calathra> roll 1d20+16
[09:18] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+16 and gets 36."12 [1d20=20]
[09:18] <Calathra> roll 1d20+14
[09:18] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+14 and gets 20."12 [1d20=6]
[09:18] <Merc> ooc: what's the 14?
[09:19] <Calathra> OOC: Hide
[09:22] <Merc> Calathra stealthily moves towards the wall, but finds herself running thin on places to use for cover as she approaches. Eventually, it just seems such a difficult task that the halfling isn't really hiding. Her companions seem to be able to spot her very easily from their spot in the back. Looking closer at the wall, she notes that the walls aren't aligned very well. It might not be too difficult to climb up. [more]
[09:25] <Merc> Then again, it is fairly tall. Without the trees' foliage covering up a good view of the wall, you can tell its definitely part of a large building. Maybe... 50ft? 60ft? You're not certain but around thereparts. Looking to the sides, you'd find that the building stretches a bit to each side, before reaching an end. A bit closer on the right side, where it only stretches about 30ft, while almost double on the left side.
[09:27] * Calathra pauses, and then suddenly jumps into the air, before flickering briefly. In an eyeblink, she drops lightly on top of the building's roof!
[09:27] <Calathra> OOC: Jumping+shadowjaunt = should be high enough to hit the roof, I think
[09:27] <Calathra> OOC: If that's not enough, I can climb about 10 feet and then do the same thing
[09:32] <Merc> Calathra's abilities allow her to reach the top quite easily. Up there, she sees that the roof is a fairly flat wooden surface. The planks seem to be held in place with nails, more planks, and then held in place between the topmost stone and the next stone below at the edges. It's a fairly wide roof too. Stretches a fair distance outwards, though not as much as to the sides.
[09:33] * Calathra pauses a moment, regaining her focus, and then quietly walks about the edge of the building, seeking out signs of life at the perimetre.
[09:36] <Merc> To the left side, Calathra spots a pair of those creatures she found all too easy to annihalate in that flooded portion of the forest. These look a little taller and just bigger. At least she thinks they do from her height above. They seem to be protecting or guarding something. Probably the entrance. She doesn't seem to spot anything else along the perimeter of the building however.
[09:37] * Calathra presses an ear to the roof, to see if she can hear any noises below.
[09:40] <Merc> There's a weird sound. Sounds like something...pulsating. Like a heart, only larger, and throughout the whole roof. How very strange.
[09:43] <Calathra> Holding a dagger above one of the planks like a chisel, Calathra kneels down, and drives it sharply forward, utilizing ancient, mountain-inspired techniques to put a small hole in the surface, through which she can peek.
[09:44] <Calathra> OOC: I'm using mountain-hammer technique, ideally, to put a hole in a plank I can see through. Could make a little noise, but since it's a small incision, I hope not.
[09:44] <Merc> roll 1d20+6
[09:44] <Merc> roll 1d20+6
[09:45] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+6 and gets 25."12 [1d20=19]
[09:45] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+6 and gets 14."12 [1d20=8]
[09:47] <Merc> Calathra makes a small hole in one of the planks. One of the creatures below seems to twitch as it looks around, trying to realize what its ears seem to have picked up. Not spotting anything though, it doesn't pay the noise much mind. Perhaps it thought it was an animal, but what does Calathra care?
[09:48] * Calathra peers into the hole!
[09:49] <Merc> Pink with lines of blue and deeper red. A mass of flesh, pulsating like a heart, is what Calathra spots. It's not far down from the hole, so its hard to see more, but given the sound comes from all around the roof, it probably covers the whole ceiling.
[09:52] * Calathra looks mildly sick as she stumbles away from the hole, back to the edge of the ceiling to where she can see Dinadan and Jeanne. Pointing at them, and then around the corner to where the weird creatures were, she holds up two fingers in indication of amount, and then brings her hand across her neck in a violent motion.
[09:53] <Merc> Calathra can't spot the duo. They're a bit deeper into the forest where she left them, and the trees' leaves kind of block her gestures. Perhaps she should climb down?
[09:54] * Calathra teleports down and waves them over with the aforementioned gestures!
[09:56] * Dinadann bravely marches ahead!
[09:57] <Jeanne> Seeing little use in hiding, Jeanne takes the direct route!
[09:57] * Calathra DOES see use in hiding. But not right now.
[10:01] <Merc> The creatures hear the sounds of something coming towards them from their rights and abandon post, heading towards the sounds. With a growl and hiss, the battle is met at the corner of the structure. ooc: init
[10:01] <Merc> roll 1d20+3
[10:01] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+3 and gets 5."12 [1d20=2]
[10:01] <Merc> roll 1d20+3
[10:01] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+3 and gets 20."12 [1d20=17]
[10:01] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+2
[10:01] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 1d20+2 and gets 4."12 [1d20=2]
[10:01] <Calathra> roll 1d20+8
[10:01] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+8 and gets 27."12 [1d20=19]
[10:02] <Dinadann> roll 1d20+1
[10:02] * Hatbot --> "Dinadann rolls 1d20+1 and gets 19."12 [1d20=18]
[10:03] * Merc changes topic to 'Calathra > GCO #2 > Dinadan > GCO #1 > Jeanne'
[10:03] <Merc> ooc: Go Calathra.
[10:04] * Calathra slips forward with preternatural speed, a brief spark rushing up the side of her knife as she closes distance with the nearest abberation!
[10:04] <Calathra> OOC: mountain hammer, charge, etc
[10:05] <Calathra> roll 1d20+14
[10:05] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+14 and gets 34."12 [1d20=20]
[10:05] <Calathra> roll 1d20+14 threat
[10:05] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+14 threat and gets 32."12 [1d20=18]
[10:06] <Merc> ooc: crit
[10:06] <Calathra> 2d4+12
[10:06] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 2d4+12 and gets 15."12 [2d4=2, 1]
[10:06] <Calathra> roll 2d6
[10:06] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 2d6 and gets 6."12 [2d6=2, 4]
[10:09] <Merc> The creature recoils, the strike slamming into its body with powerful force. Its companion doesn't take well to that and closes in on the halfling, attacking it from the side.
[10:09] <Merc> roll 1d20+8
[10:09] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+8 and gets 13."12 [1d20=5]
[10:09] <Merc> roll 1d20+8
[10:09] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+8 and gets 14."12 [1d20=6]
[10:10] <Calathra> OOC: AC 22
[10:12] <Merc> The creature misses however, and leaving its side open for the close by Dinadan.
[10:12] * Dinadann takes taht chance, noble long sword gleaming in the air! Not athought of defeat fills Dinadan's head, be it from divine confience or just a lack of space!
[10:14] <Dinadann> roll 1d20+6
[10:14] * Hatbot --> "Dinadann rolls 1d20+6 and gets 20."12 [1d20=14]
[10:15] <Merc> Dinadan's blade misses the creature however. Such a strike would surely have felled one of the smaller monsters they faced earlier! These things seem more dangerous!
[10:16] <Merc> The creature that Calathra attacked attempts to prove this by attacking the halfling with no mercy given, two claws slashing at the smaller creature, followed by an attempt to bite it in the shoulder.
[10:16] <Merc> roll 1d20+8
[10:16] <Merc> roll 1d20+8
[10:16] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+8 and gets 25."12 [1d20=17]
[10:16] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+8 and gets 23."12 [1d20=15]
[10:16] <Merc> roll 1d20+6
[10:16] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+6 and gets 10."12 [1d20=4]
[10:17] <Merc> roll 1d6
[10:17] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d6 and gets 1."12 [1d6=1]
[10:17] <Merc> One claw slashes through the halfling's armor, leaving a small wound on the small warrior. It hasn't done too well to seem dangerous, sadly. It's almost... laughable.
[10:18] <Merc> ooc: Jeanne, go
[10:20] <Jeanne> The chain swirls around her, a metal serpent coiling about her form, before it leaps to strike at the creature with its teeth!
[10:20] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+10
[10:20] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 1d20+10 and gets 12."12 [1d20=2]
[10:22] <Merc> THe creature seems to hiss in an almost laughing fashion as its attacked so...incapably. Maron doesn't seem to take well to that as she attempts to unleash a beam of light on its face.
[10:22] <Merc> roll 1d20+3
[10:22] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+3 and gets 22."12 [1d20=19]
[10:23] <Merc> roll 1d6
[10:23] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d6 and gets 1."12 [1d6=1]
[10:23] <Merc> Surprisingly, she actually manages to hit where her companion fails miserably! Admittedly, her success is somehow a bit more pathetic than the creature's attack against Calathra.
[10:24] <Merc> ooc: Calathra. Go. Hurt stuff.
[10:26] * Calathra grants the creature she fights a baleful glance, twisting into the Giant-Killing, or as she likes to put it, Human-Killer Form. Brief twists of ash dance across her knives as she lashes out at the one she struck before!
[10:26] <Calathra> roll 1d20+12
[10:26] <Calathra> roll 1d20+12
[10:26] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+12 and gets 25."12 [1d20=13]
[10:26] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+12 and gets 24."12 [1d20=12]
[10:26] <Calathra> OOC: Er, using burning blade, here
[10:26] <Merc> OOC: Two hits.
[10:27] <Calathra> roll 1d4+10
[10:27] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d4+10 and gets 14."12 [1d4=4]
[10:27] <Calathra> roll 1d6
[10:27] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d6 and gets 2."12 [1d6=2]
[10:27] <Calathra> OOC: +16~
[10:28] <Calathra> roll 1d4+7 strike 2
[10:28] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d4+7 strike 2 and gets 10."12 [1d4=3]
[10:28] <Calathra> roll 1d6
[10:28] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d6 and gets 5."12 [1d6=5]
[10:28] <Calathra> OOC: Ack, both of those 1d6's should have +5 at the end
[10:28] <Calathra> OOC: So that's 21 damage on the first hit and 20 on the second
[10:29] <Merc> The creature is hit again by Calathra, leaving it hissing in pain, it'll probably die if attacked by Calathra's massive damage dealing attacks probably. Its companion shifts a bit in position to assist with flanking the damnable halfling before attacking.
[10:29] <Merc> roll 1d20+10
[10:29] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+10 and gets 25."12 [1d20=15]
[10:29] <Merc> roll 1d20+10
[10:29] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+10 and gets 25."12 [1d20=15]
[10:29] <Merc> roll 1d20+8
[10:29] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+8 and gets 18."12 [1d20=10]
[10:30] <Merc> roll 2d6+4
[10:30] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 2d6+4 and gets 11."12 [2d6=3, 4]
[10:31] <Merc> Calathra takes some claw slashes across her back, the creature taking full advantage of her split attention. OOC: Dinadan!
[10:32] * Dinadann turns to the wounded beast, looking to slash it and also protect Calanthra! He's the one supposed to be getting hit, durn it!
[10:32] <Dinadann> roll 1d20+6
[10:32] * Hatbot --> "Dinadann rolls 1d20+6 and gets 12."12 [1d20=6]
[10:33] <Merc> Dinadan fails to grab its attention, its eyes dangerously focused on killing the halfling before she kills it.
[10:33] <Merc> roll 1d20+10
[10:33] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+10 and gets 11."12 [1d20=1]
[10:33] <Merc> roll 1d20+10
[10:33] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+10 and gets 23."12 [1d20=13]
[10:33] <Merc> roll 1d20+8
[10:33] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+8 and gets 11."12 [1d20=3]
[10:33] <Merc> Its attacks all miss though, and the halfling remains safe for just a while longer. OCC: Jeanne
[10:34] * Jeanne maneuvers herself carefully to the other side of the creature attacking Calathra, intent on aiding Dinadan!
[10:34] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+12
[10:34] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 1d20+12 and gets 32."12 [1d20=20]
[10:34] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+12
[10:34] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 1d20+12 and gets 21."12 [1d20=9]
[10:35] <Jeanne> roll 2d4+6
[10:35] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 2d4+6 and gets 12."12 [2d4=3, 3]
[10:37] <Merc> Jeanne comes close to hitting the creature with her first strike, but still ends up failing to hit it. Maron attempts to heal the wounded halfling while Jeanne does her best to aid Dinadan.
[10:38] <Jeanne> roll 2d4+6
[10:38] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 2d4+6 and gets 9."12 [2d4=1, 2]
[10:38] <Merc> ooc: scratch last line. Looked at wrong rolls.
[10:39] <Merc> Jeanne hits the creature with her chain, doing damage to it, enough to bring it to its knees as the creature falls, a hole in its chest where the chain went right through. Maron goes to assist the wounded halfling while Jeanne does her thing, using a spell to do some healing.
[10:39] <Merc> roll 1d8+3
[10:39] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d8+3 and gets 10."12 [1d8=7]
[10:40] <Merc> ooc: Calathra, one opponent to go
[10:41] <Calathra> This time, Calathra's blades twist with intense, furious speed! She steps to the side to flank the beast with either Jeanne or Dinadan, and, on the completion of her flurry, somersaults backwards in a sudden leap!
[10:41] <Calathra> OOC: Flashing Sun + Sudden Leap~
[10:42] <Calathra> OOC: +flank, if I can
[10:42] <Calathra> OOC: I'll tumble to avoid AoO's from my movement, too.
[10:42] <Merc> ooc: you can, but no full attack actions. and go for the tumble, I was about to use an AoO.
[10:42] <Calathra> OOC: Oh. I won't bother flanking, then, I'll just take my full attack and jump.
[10:42] <Calathra> roll 1d20+10
[10:42] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+10 and gets 20."12 [1d20=10]
[10:42] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+10 and gets 24."12 [1d20=14]
[10:42] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+10 and gets 21."12 [1d20=11]
[10:43] <Merc> ooc: second attack hits.
[10:43] <Calathra> roll 1d4+13
[10:43] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d4+13 and gets 17."12 [1d4=4]
[10:43] <Calathra> roll 1d20+12 tumble check
[10:43] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+12 tumble check and gets 29."12 [1d20=17]
[10:48] <Merc> The creature screams at the halfling in rage, desperately wanting to rip it in half with its claws, but with it having fled behind Jeanne, it takes its fury out on the paladin!
[10:48] <Merc> roll 1d20+8
[10:48] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+8 and gets 22."12 [1d20=14]
[10:48] <Merc> roll 1d20+8
[10:48] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+8 and gets 24."12 [1d20=16]
[10:48] <Merc> roll 1d20+6
[10:48] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+6 and gets 11."12 [1d20=5]
[10:49] <Merc> roll 2d6+4
[10:49] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 2d6+4 and gets 8."12 [2d6=1, 3]
[10:50] <Merc> These creatures just seem incapable of clamping their jaws around some creatures body today! At least its claws managed to slash at the female, appeasing some of its fury. ooc: Dinadan go
[10:56] * Dinadan just goes to slash one and continue to help out, and not doh!
[10:56] <Dinadan> roll 1d20+6
[10:56] * Hatbot --> "Dinadan rolls 1d20+6 and gets 20."12 [1d20=14]
[10:58] <Merc> Dinadan comes closer than ever to hitting it. Close enough is still not hitting however. At least he's close enough that with a small step from either paladin, the creatures attention may be too split to defend properly. Ooc: Jeanne
[10:58] <Dinadan> "D'oh!" Dinadan curses.
[10:59] <Jeanne> Showing no signs of pain from the injury beyond a momentary wince, Jeanne channels all her skill into taking the creature down! Maybe!
[10:59] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+10
[10:59] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 1d20+10 and gets 11."12 [1d20=1]
[11:00] <Merc> D'oh is the right word of the moment, as Jeanne succeeds in much the same fashion as Dinadan. Except worse. Much worse. OOC: Fumble check (Just repeat the roll. Except without the one hopefully)
[11:01] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+10
[11:01] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 1d20+10 and gets 14."12 [1d20=4]
[11:02] <Merc> Jeanne attempts a little too hard to try and finish the monster off and pulls a muscle in her arm. OOC: -2 to atk/damage
[11:02] <Merc> ooc: Go calathra.
[11:03] * Calathra eyes the combat dispassionately, refining the inner flame within her mind... (+flashing sun GET)
[11:04] <Merc> Maron also releases a light beam at the creature, almost forgetting todo something when Jeanne hurts herself!
[11:04] <Merc> roll 1d20+3
[11:04] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+3 and gets 10."12 [1d20=7]
[11:05] <Merc> She fails though, so it's all up to Calathra the halfwonder!
[11:05] <Calathra> OOC: Can I have some kind of payment for that line?
[11:05] <Calathra> OOC: Anyway, I used my action.
[11:05] <Merc> ooc: I can give you 0.1XP extra in payment.
[11:06] <Merc> ooc: oh, refreshing manuevers?
[11:06] <Merc> ooc: go Dinadan
[11:06] * Dinadan grimaces and continues to try and hit things! "In the name of the Gods, why you little...!"
[11:06] <Dinadan> roll 1d20+6
[11:06] * Hatbot --> "Dinadan rolls 1d20+6 and gets 15."12 [1d20=9]
[11:07] <Merc> Poor Dinadan. Maybe it's up to Jeanne then.
[11:08] <Merc> ooc: Boop. I forgot the monster's action, so amused have I been by the last two rounds.
[11:09] <Merc> The monster seemed amused at how well they fair against it. It goes after Jeanne again, having had some fair success hitting the paladin female.
[11:09] <Merc> roll 1d20+8
[11:09] <Merc> roll 1d20+8
[11:09] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+8 and gets 12."12 [1d20=4]
[11:09] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+8 and gets 9."12 [1d20=1]
[11:09] <Merc> roll 1d20+6
[11:09] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+6 and gets 20."12 [1d20=14]
[11:09] <Merc> The creature chomps down on Jeanne's shoulder!
[11:09] <Merc> ooc: fort save
[11:10] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+8
[11:10] <Merc> roll 1d20+8 oh yeah and fumble check
[11:10] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 1d20+8 and gets 11."12 [1d20=3]
[11:10] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+8 oh yeah and fumble check and gets 21."12 [1d20=13]
[11:11] <Merc> roll 1d8
[11:11] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d8 and gets 4."12 [1d8=4]
[11:11] <Merc> roll 1d4
[11:11] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d4 and gets 2."12 [1d4=2]
[11:11] <Merc> The creture fails with its claws attack, but its bite seems worse than its claws this time. Jeanne feels nauseous as the bite seems to have had something...bad in it. OOC: Poisoned. initial damage of 2 con damage.
[11:13] <Jeanne> Genuinely incensed at this point, Jeanne strikes back!
[11:13] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+12
[11:13] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 1d20+12 and gets 32."12 [1d20=20]
[11:13] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+12
[11:13] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 1d20+12 and gets 25."12 [1d20=13]
[11:13] <Jeanne> roll 4d4+12
[11:13] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 4d4+12 and gets 22."12 [4d4=3, 4, 2, 1]
[11:15] <Merc> Maron seems to make an angry noise as she unleashes a beam of light at the creature for hurting her friend enough to make her look sick.
[11:15] <Merc> roll 1d20+3
[11:15] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+3 and gets 16."12 [1d20=13]
[11:15] <Merc> Vengeance is not something for guardian spirits though. Perhaps it's something more for halflings.
[11:16] * Calathra twists and lunges towards the creature once more, taking a measured dash towards it!
[11:16] <Calathra> roll 1d20+16 flanking, right?
[11:16] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+16 flanking, right? and gets 22."12 [1d20=6]
[11:17] <Merc> ooc: hit
[11:18] <Calathra> roll 1d4+10
[11:18] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d4+10 and gets 12."12 [1d4=2]
[11:19] <Merc> The creature roars and focuses its attention on the halfling, remember how dangerous it was. Enough fun with the paladin, time for some lunch!
[11:19] <Merc> roll 1d20+8
[11:19] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+8 and gets 23."12 [1d20=15]
[11:19] <Merc> roll 1d20+8
[11:19] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+8 and gets 9."12 [1d20=1]
[11:19] <Merc> roll 1d20+6
[11:19] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+6 and gets 17."12 [1d20=11]
[11:19] <Merc> The creature won't be having lunch anytime soon. OOC: Dinadan
[11:21] <Dinadan> Once again into the breach! SLASH SLASH SLASH!
[11:21] <Dinadan> roll 1d20+6
[11:21] * Hatbot --> "Dinadan rolls 1d20+6 and gets 24."12 [1d20=18]
[11:22] <Merc> roll 1d20+8 fumble for the creature. why do I keep missing this for him?
[11:22] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+8 fumble for the creature. why do I keep missing this for him? and gets 22."12 [1d20=14]
[11:22] <Merc> Dinadan hits the creature!
[11:23] <Dinadan> roll 1d8
[11:23] * Hatbot --> "Dinadan rolls 1d8 and gets 8."12 [1d8=8]
[11:24] <Merc> The creature makes a warning growl. It seemed to like him more when he was missing. OOC: JEanne
[11:25] <Jeanne> The evil, poisonous creature is going down! Maybe!
[11:26] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+12
[11:26] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 1d20+12 and gets 25."12 [1d20=13]
[11:26] <Jeanne> roll 2d4+6
[11:26] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 2d4+6 and gets 11."12 [2d4=2, 3]
[11:28] <Merc> The creature looks like it's going to drop soon. Perhaps Calathra will be able to do it. Or perhaps the creature will get a chance to survive. We shall see. Meanwhile, Maron attempts to heal Jeanne, only having managed one hit and a fairly lucky one at that.
[11:28] <Merc> roll 1d8+3
[11:28] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d8+3 and gets 9."12 [1d8=6]
[11:29] <Merc> ooc: Go Calathra
[11:30] <Calathra> Calathra's blades make an odd whistling sound, as they flurry towards the creature in three seperate, perfect thrusts!
[11:30] <Calathra> roll 1d20+12
[11:30] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+12 and gets 22."12 [1d20=10]
[11:30] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+12 and gets 22."12 [1d20=10]
[11:30] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+12 and gets 17."12 [1d20=5]
[11:30] <Calathra> OOC: DAMMIT
[11:31] <Calathra> roll 2d4+20 grr
[11:31] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 2d4+20 grr and gets 25."12 [2d4=3, 2]
[11:31] <Calathra> OOC: *+6 to that
[11:31] * Dinadan is now known as Dina-away
[11:32] <Merc> ooc: ding dong the witch is dead
[11:32] <Merc> Calathra's blades rip through the remaining creature, slashing the pieces into the ground, and some chunks of muscle and blood flick against the three surrounding heroes' armor.
[11:34] <Jeanne> "Where to now?" Jeanne asks the halfling who had scouted ahead.
[11:34] * Calathra shrugs.
[11:36] * Calathra points to the entrance!
[11:36] * Jeanne braves the entrance, then!
[11:36] <Calathra> Dinadan goes first, and Calathra wanders behind...
[11:43] <Merc> ooc: Jeanne do a fort save.
[11:43] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+7
[11:43] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 1d20+7 and gets 18."12 [1d20=11]
[11:43] <Merc> ooc: is the +7 considering the -2 to con?
[11:44] <Jeanne> OOC: yes
[11:44] <Merc> ooc: passed then.
[11:45] <Merc> The heroes reach the entrance, where a large pair of metal doors stand! As Dinadan pushes the door open with manly muscles, Jeanne briefly feels a bit nauseous, but seems to pull out of it. Maron takes the time to detect poison on Jeanne's body, but finds that Jeanne seems to have pulled through the worst of it just now.
[11:47] * Jeanne adds her own strength to Dinadan's, attempting to open the doors.
[11:48] * Calathra doesn't bother helping.
[11:48] <Merc> The doo opens, creaking loudly as they pull the doors outwards. Inside, the three find themselves in a large corridor that seems to grow darker the further in it goes. Only a single torch on the left side provides some significant amount of light. On the right side is a hole where a torch could fit.
[11:51] * Jeanne takes the remaining torch, proceeding further into the building.
[11:53] * Calathra trails behind, unwilling to rush ahead in such uncertain surroundings.
[11:53] <Merc> A little button depresses as Jeanne pulls the torch. A few seconds later, a friendly sounding voice rings out from above and behind you. "AAAAH! Visitors! How LOVELY!" it rings out. "Might you be some guests for Grissre the Scholar, hrrrrrrrrrm?"
[11:56] <Jeanne> "Are you Grissre?" Jeanne asks out loud, heading inside.
[11:56] * Calathra looks around, rather perplexed.
[11:57] <Merc> "Of course, of course! I don't get much company I must say. I usually have to fetch for some, or make my own you know," the friendly voice comments. "Who might you be? Do you have some companions with you also?"
[11:59] <Jeanne> "Are you the one who kidnapped people from around these parts?" she asks, ignoring his attempts at chitchat.
[12:01] <Merc> A pause, as if the person behind the voice is pondering how to answer. "Kidnap? My, such a bold accusation," the voice says after a moment, though still sounding friendly. "I merel wish to liven up this forest a bit. If they don't wish to be friendly when they meet with me, well, then, I should surely be forgiven for taking... 'care' of such rude guests." The voice sounds like it chortles a bit at the thought of this.
[12:02] <Merc> Meanwhile, Calathra happens to spot how that 'scholar' seems to be communicating while looking around. Above the doors, just before the ceiling, she can spot a pair of ears and a mouth, stitched to the stone in some manner.
[12:02] * Jeanne ignores the voice from that point on, proceeding down the corridor in silence.
[12:03] <Merc> "Hey, so what's your name?" the voice calls out while Jeanne walks onward, seemingly unaware that the girl has moved on ahead.
[12:03] * Calathra looks upset, copying Jeanne's actions without paying further attention to it.
[12:06] <Merc> "Hello? Anybody there? Well, how rude. Well, I'm sure you're just in a hurry to come to me, so I'll forgive you this time! Keep that torch with you, it's dark in here and it won't go out, okay? Oh and watch out for the monsters and traps! They're dangerous! See you in a while! HA HA HAHAHA HAHA HA!!!"

Merc

I've learned I can be almost as bad as Dune is about posting logs. Except, you know, I actually posted them, even if eight weeks later. I don't much remember my thoughts on the session, though, so just posting the logs. It wasn't terribly exciting session. Oh wait, I did learn one thing. Don't have PC's keep rolling for stuff if they're gonna keep at it until they succeed.

[09:17] <Merc> Only moments ago, the three heroes entered into the domain of the self-procraimed Grissre the Scholar, a very disturbed man if their conversation just now was any indication. Walking deeper into the building, their only source of light is the torch that its owner told them to keep. Maron continues switching between looking concerned at her friend, while also keeping a determined eye out for traps.
[09:17] <Merc> OOC: Spot checks all around
[09:18] <Merc> roll 1d20+1
[09:18] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+1 and gets 12." [1d20=11]
[09:19] <Calathra> roll 1d20+3
[09:19] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+3 and gets 10." [1d20=7]
[09:19] <Dinadan> roll 1d20+1
[09:19] * Hatbot --> "Dinadan rolls 1d20+1 and gets 12." [1d20=11]
[09:19] * Merc sets mode: +o Jeanne
[09:19] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+1
[09:19] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 1d20+1 and gets 16." [1d20=15]
[09:22] <Jeanne> "Something is ahead, on the ground," Jeanne informs the others, pointing out the spot.
[09:23] * Calathra carefully moves towards the spot and has a looksee!
[09:26] <Merc> As Calathra moves ahead, and close in on what was spotted, the halfling finds herself stepping onto a thin film of liquid. The shape is beginning to look more like a body as she approaches, with what light is coming from the torch.
[09:27] * Calathra kneels down and takes a sniff.
[09:29] <Merc> It smells foul, whatever it is. Very, very foul and nauseating. It's definitely the body of something that hasn't bathed in quite some time. The stench coming from its corpse and the smell of the blood lingers in her nose.
[09:30] <Calathra> Rather dispassionately, Calathra quickly ransacks the corpse for anything of value- including knowledge of the cause of it's death.
[09:35] <Merc> There's a hole in its chest, looks like some weapon pierced through its body to kill it. The flesh of the creature also looks like its been burned. There's a dagger held by its right arm, though that seems to be the only thing that could be of value. Whatever killed it must have taken anything else, if there even was anything of value on it originally.
[09:36] * Calathra waves her companions ahead, relinguishing the body of the dagger and squinting ahead.
[09:37] * Jeanne approaches, shedding some light on the situation.
[09:37] * Dinadan looks about, strangely disoriented. Dinadan keeps his shield up, cautious.
[09:44] <Merc> The corpse Calathra hoped to loot looks to be another of those that the group has kept encountering. Though just as different from the door guards as they were from those creatures first encountered in the forest. It seems slimmer in build than the bulky guards, though its skin seems like it's been too close to a fire and been singed. The hole in its chest looks like it was made by a spear or halberd. Some sort of similar weapon at least.
[09:45] <Jeanne> "A trap?" Jeanne voices, taking a look around.
[09:46] * Dinadan eyes Jeanne at those words, "Possible?"
[09:47] <Merc> The blood of the creature seems to be pooling mostly around one spot slightly ahead. It pools a bit at that spot before splatters of blood trail to where the corpse lays, the majority of blood pooling around the creature.
[09:47] <Calathra> Crouching quite low, below where the stomach level of this creature would be were it upright, Calathra moves to inspect the walls on either side of that point.
[09:48] <Merc> ooc: search check
[09:48] <Calathra> roll 1d20+1
[09:48] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+1 and gets 5." [1d20=4]
[09:50] <Merc> The halfling swordsage doesn't find anything along the walls besides what's visible now, brick and slots to place torches on. Either there's no secrets to be found on the walls, or they're hidden better than she can find.
[09:50] * Calathra progresses forward, waving her companions along!
[09:50] * Jeanne moves ahead herself, matching the halfling's speed.
[09:51] * Dinadan does as well, forward!
[09:58] <Merc> Darkness soon envelops the corpse, leaving it lying on the ground, forgotten for the moment. Ahead, the trio finds themselves eventually at the end of the corridor. Here, the corridor splits into four possible paths for the three to take. A set of stairs scale upwards, while another scales down, and two either side two other corridors to continue onward on.
[09:58] * Calathra heads towards the stairs going down!
[09:58] * Dinadan looks to the stairs down. Evil likes to lurk in the underground dark, doesn't it? Dinadan peers that way, stepping forward.
[10:04] <Merc> As the protective paladin takes point from the halfling, they all begin to head downward. Halfway down, Dinadan finds that one of the stair steps is a trap, the step moving downward rapidly as he places his weight on it.
[10:04] <Merc> OOC: Reflex Dinadan only.
[10:05] <Dinadan> roll 1d20+1
[10:05] * Hatbot --> "Dinadan rolls 1d20+1 and gets 16." [1d20=15]
[10:06] <Merc> ooc: balance check
[10:07] <Dinadan> roll 1d20-5
[10:07] * Hatbot --> "Dinadan rolls 1d20-5 and gets 9." [1d20=14]
[10:10] <Merc> The gods seem to not be on the paladin's side today, or perhaps they just want him to go through a little adversity. Not expecting the trapped step and having put his full weight on the step, he begins to fall the rest of the way down the stairs while the trap goes off, a slamming noise occuring from further behind the other paladin.
[10:11] * Jeanne looks behind her!
[10:13] <Merc> ooc: 3d2 damage, Dinadan.
[10:13] <Merc> Jeanne finds that the opening that they went through seems to have slammed shut. A 'dead end' is what they now have at the top of the stairs.
[10:14] <Dinadan> "D'oh...d'oh...D'OH!" Dinadan curses as he falls down the steps in a heap, rubbing his head as he looks around. Owwie.
[10:14] <Dinadan> roll 3d2
[10:14] * Hatbot --> "Dinadan rolls 3d2 and gets 5." [3d2=1, 2, 2]
[10:16] <Jeanne> "Are you alright?" Jeanne calls out, heading down the stairs towards Dinadan.
[10:16] * Calathra mutely trails after Jeanne, testing the weight of each stair before progressing.
[10:17] * Dinadan makes a face, rubbing the side of his now bruised rear. "I've had worse."
[10:18] <Jeanne> "There is no way back, now," she says, looking ahead. "We'll have to find another exit."
[10:19] * Calathra glances back, shrugs, shakes her head a little, and gestures to continue down the stairs.
[10:19] <Merc> "Hey, look," someone whispers from up ahead of Dinadan. Soon a a small murmur of whispers seem to be following from the room the paladin has just 'remarkably' entered. Jeanne soon finds herself at the opening with Dinadan, seeing basically jail cells somewhat filled. Jeanne's proclamation causes further whispering amongst those inside the cells.
[10:19] * Dinadan looks at the the inside of the cells!
[10:20] * Jeanne does likewise!
[10:22] <Merc> They're pretty to see through the metal bars. There's about eleven people mixed inside the six cells, all of them in different stages of starvation it seems except for one, a bearded man who was the one who tried to rouse the others about their guests, his eyes being the only ones that show bright hope at their appearance.
[10:22] * Dinadan looks, seeing if they're human or something else.
[10:24] <Merc> Most of them seem to be human, though two of them have slightly pointed ears and are the shortest of the group.
[10:25] * Jeanne approaches the healthiest man, asking him, "What happened to you all?"
[10:25] * Calathra turns around and starts heading back up the stairs.
[10:32] <Merc> "All of us are travelers that were captured along the path between Trail's End and Ilmwatch," the man replies. "We just sit here and starve until we're to be tortured...or so he tells me anyhow," he finishes, pointing over at one of the other prisoners. "I...haven't been here as long as the others. I definitely want to get out though. Thank god for you folks"
[10:33] <Merc> ooc: replace god with Tempus actually. I keep forgetting such an expression doesn't work in a realm with multiple gods.
[10:33] * Jeanne approaches the bars, testing their strength.
[10:36] <Merc> "I already tried that," the person that had been pointed at says glumly. "You think a small gal like you can do it? I tried when I first got here, and I'm still here..."
[10:37] * Jeanne would like to give it a try, anyway, before she's to respond!
[10:38] <Merc> ooc: strength check
[10:38] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+4
[10:38] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 1d20+4 and gets 15." [1d20=11]
[10:39] <Merc> Jeanne tries her best, irregardless of the prisoner's opinion, though her best falls short. The bars don't look like they've bent or anything. "See? I told you so. You should have let your clumsy friend there try. Strenght work is a man's job."
[10:40] * Dinadan goes to try it, then!
[10:40] * Jeanne sighs, and moves on to examine the lock.
[10:40] <Dinadan> "I'm not clumsy, that was just evil and devious," Dinadan adds after.
[10:42] <Merc> "Sure, sure. Just give it a whirl. You don't look much stronger than me ('well, before I got stuck starving here,' he mutters under his breath), but have a blast," he says. Looks like he doesn't have much more faith on Dinadan's strength.
[10:43] <Dinadan> roll 1d20
[10:43] * Hatbot --> "Dinadan rolls 1d20 and gets 17." [1d20=17]
[10:43] <Merc> "Forgive my...friend. He's been stuck here the longest I think, so..." the other man seems to try to apologize as the the surly man just grunts and turns away from looking at the trio. Jeanne meanwhile finds that the lock seems to be stuck on the ceiling against the bars. Why the heck is it up so high? For security?
[10:47] * Jeanne tries to crush the lock with her chain!
[10:47] <Merc> ooc: attack
[10:48] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+5
[10:48] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 1d20+5 and gets 12." [1d20=7]
[10:49] <Merc> The chain strikes against the bars, Jeanne not quite used to striking upwards with her chain.
[10:49] <Jeanne> Another try, then, more focused!
[10:49] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+10
[10:49] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 1d20+10 and gets 25." [1d20=15]
[10:50] <Merc> ooc: hit
[10:50] <Jeanne> roll 2d4+6
[10:50] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 2d4+6 and gets 13." [2d4=4, 3]
[10:52] <Merc> The lock seems to be remain intact. Looks like you need to hit it harder to do damage.
[10:52] <Calathra> At the stop of the stairs, Calathra begins methodically cutting apart the weak-points of the gate, to create an opening large enough to escape through!
[10:53] <Merc> ooc: just roll damage. No AC.
[10:54] * Jeanne frowns, and strikes at the lock some more while waiting for Calathra's return.
[10:55] <Calathra> roll 2d6
[10:55] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 2d6 and gets 5." [2d6=2, 3]
[10:55] <Calathra> roll 1d4+6
[10:55] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d4+6 and gets 7." [1d4=1]
[10:55] <Jeanne> roll 5#1d20+5
[10:55] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 5#1d20+5 and gets 70." [5#1d20+5 = 6, 10, 14, 20, 20]
[10:56] <Merc> ooc: Jeanne hits on last two rolls. do your crit checks to see if you really damage the locks =p
[10:57] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+5
[10:57] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 1d20+5 and gets 7." [1d20=2]
[10:57] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+5
[10:57] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 1d20+5 and gets 12." [1d20=7]
[10:57] <Merc> The wall starts to crumble under Calathra's loving touch, though it'll need more damage to make the opening she wants.
[10:57] <Jeanne> roll 2#2d4+16
[10:57] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 2#2d4+16 and gets 39." [2#2d4+16 = 18, 21]
[10:58] * Calathra continues to break the wall. Focus, breath in- strike, exhale. Repeat.
[10:59] * Dinadan meanwhile waits for now, standing around.
[10:59] <Merc> Calathra soon has the wall turned into rubble, as Jeanne manages to create a crack on the lock. One cracks follows after another until the lock cracks in half and the prisoners release a cheer, the surly man looking somewhat astonished.
[11:01] <Jeanne> "Can you tell us anything about the man who imprisoned you?" Jeanne asks the prisoners, putting away her chain for the time being.
[11:03] * Calathra stays up top, keeping a sharp eye out.
[11:03] <Merc> Most shake their heads, with the exception of one. "He says his name is Grissre and he let slip that he's studying how to make 'worthless humans' worthwhile," the rude fellow answers. "I think he said it to frighten us more."
[11:06] <Merc> "Are you going to get us out of here now?" one of the younger prisoners asks with a little worry in her tone. A lot of the other prisoners nod, a mix of worry and hope in their eyes, most muttering about seeing loved ones, including the healthy fellow who mentions his daughter.
[11:07] <Jeanne> "Maybe not." Jeanne frowns once more. "We must show him how worthless humans are, Dinadan. Ready to go?"
[11:09] <Dinadan> "Yes," The big paladin grunts, checking his shield.

Merc

Two weeks late, not that bad. I learned that if I give a creature DR, make sure all characters can still hurt it. I unfortunately selected a creature with DR 10, which kept Dune from doing damage unless he crit it. Still, he managed to hit it better as the session went by, giving it a bit of dramatic flare even if it went badly for him. Still, in this session I started to find what's too hard as opposed to what's too easy from the first session.

[09:02] <Merc> "But...what about us? How do we escape this abominable place?" One of the older people, a wrinkled up old woman potests as the two paladins made a decision to take the fight to the monster responsible for this. "Yeah! What if you fail? What becomes of us?!?" exclaims another. Worried murmurs begin to pass around the rest of the prisoners as they await anything from their rescuers.
[09:03] <Dinadan> "You go back to sitting in jail cells?" Dinadan asks, curiously peering at them. Dinadan rubs his chin, a worried frown on his face.
[09:04] <Jeanne> "The forest outside is dangerous," Jeanne reminds them. "You will likely be safest with us."
[09:06] * Calathra is quiet.
[09:06] <Merc> "I'd rather take my chances! You don't know what they've been doing to us! You haven't been here, being starved, afraid for your life!" protests yet another. "And as the girl said, what if you fail?"
[09:07] * Calathra shrugs.
[09:08] <Jeanne> Notions of failure don't even enter Jeanne's mind.
[09:08] <Dinadan> Dinadan scratches his head. "This doesn't make sense...if you're being starved and afraid for your life, why do you want to stay? Uuuuh..." Scowling, he looks to Jeanne. "Does that make sense to you?"
[09:10] <Jeanne> "Can any of you use swords?" Jeanne asks.
[09:11] <Merc> The man scowls. "That's not what I mean, you dolt! Take our chances in the forest!" He turns to the rest of the people and is about to say something when another man, the fellow who first offered information on their situation. "I can," he says simply, as a few others nod as well.
[09:12] * Calathra walks over to Jeanne's side, and stretches up on her toes, trying to at least reach her ear.
[09:12] * Jeanne nods. "There is a temple, not too far. If you stay together--" Jeanne's voice trails off, as she glances at Calathra curiously.
[09:12] <Dinadan> A lightbulb sputters in Dinadan's head, but fades away into the inky black. "Uhhh.." So he ponders a moment, "Isn't that where all the horrible creatures of evil are, though?"
[09:13] * Calathra looks distraught, as she's simply *not tall enough*.
[09:14] <Calathra> "...weak," she barely stretches out, pointing briefly at all the commoners. "Why.. swords?"
[09:15] <Jeanne> "We can't hold them here against their will. And if they go out, they should be able to protect themselves, somehow."
[09:15] * Calathra seems satisfied, and settles down again.
[09:16] <Merc> "Exactly! We can avoid them if necessary, I'm sure, it's better than staying here, hoping you'll truly save us," the man against them speaks with harrumph. However... "I believe in them," says the man who admitted to being capable with a sword, using a calm voice as he walks back into the cells. "They'll let me see my baby girl again, I know it. Look how far they've already come."
[09:19] <Merc> The disbelieving fellow gapes and shouts, "You can't be serious!" However, he is simply looked at with a determined expression. "I believe in them." That phrase, leaves everyone else split, many trusting in their chances in the forest, a few looking like they might consider staying and waiting for the protection of the three to escort them through.
[09:19] <Jeanne> "Do we have any weapons we can spare?" Jeanne asks Dinadan and Calathra. "I only have my bow, and I don't think many could use it...."
[09:20] * Calathra starts shaking out tiny, halfling-sized daggers, more like needles in a human hand, and then gives Jeanne another distraught look.
[09:24] * Jeanne frowns. "The way out is clear?" she asks the halfling.
[09:25] * Calathra nods.
[09:26] * Dinadan nods as well, standing to the side and ready. All that gave him a headache!
[09:27] <Jeanne> "Those that still want to leave can, then. We don't have much to offer, but even a dagger is better than nothing. The rest are welcome to travel with us. We'll protect you." Having said that, she begins to march out of the cells area.
[09:30] * Calathra gives a little wave, leaves most of her tiny stilletos on the floor, and heads out alongside Jeanne.
[09:30] <Merc> The pompous fellow harrumphs again, and waves his head towards the exit. "Those who wish to follow me, do so," he states, looking with disdain to the man in the cell. "Those who trust those fools, wait here for the monsters to lock the doors again." With that said, he takes his leave, a few looking at the same man sitting quietly in the cell before following the others. A bit over half of the original group stays, holding onto a little bit of faith.
[09:31] <Merc> A bit over half of the original group stays, holding onto a little bit of faith.
[09:33] <Merc> ooc: make a decision, take the path to the side at the intersection, or go up.
[09:35] * Jeanne glances at Calathra. "Which way, you think?"
[09:36] <Merc> The trio find themselves back at the spot where the path originally split. Ahead of them is the path leading back outside, behind them, the stairs downstairs to the cells, and to their right are a set of stairs upward and a path going deeper into somewhere, the darkness not making things easy to look too far ahead.
[09:36] * Calathra points up.
[09:36] * Dinadan nods as well, looking up.
[09:39] * Jeanne nods, and leads the way.
[09:41] * Calathra *also* goes this way!
[09:44] <Merc> This flight of stairs holds no traps to embarrass paladins and mearly leads up, up into a nightmare that is. At the end of the flight of stairs is what can only be considered a frightful unnatural thing. Pulsating, alive possibly, the walls look like muscles, blood and skin, something Calathra might well remember from before, in her jaunt through the roof, though looking so much worse as she can see it as a whole this time.
[09:44] * Calathra winces.
[09:47] * Jeanne observes the walls, her face taut.
[09:50] <Merc> Most of the walls, ceiling and floor does not register in her senses as something to worry about. Although it is an abomination to be sure, it is not dangerous for the most part. For the most only, however, as there are spots that reveal themselves in her eyes as evil. Dinadan as well would find himself agreeing with Jeanne's studies of the living corridor.
[09:52] * Jeanne taps her fingertips against her chain. "Any objections to having this abomination destroyed?"
[09:52] <Dinadan> "Noo...?" Dinadan considers.
[09:52] <Dinadan> "Evil is evil, right?" He inquires after a moment of thought.
[09:53] * Calathra snorts.
[09:53] * Jeanne exchanges weapons, asking Calathra, "You want to deal with this afterwards?"
[09:54] * Calathra shrugs, and shakes her head a little.
[09:55] * Jeanne releases an arrow at one of the spots that feel evil to her senses.
[09:57] <Merc> A scab forms as a line of teeth reveal themselves, and begin gnawing on the arrow, little by little. Another scab forms from another spot closer to the group, revealing an eyeball this time, looking at the group and then closing shut again.
[09:57] * Jeanne fires another arrow at the eyeball.
[09:59] <Merc> A squelching sound is made, and the spot no longer registers as evil, although plenty of others still remain.
[10:00] <Jeanne> "Let's do this and see if we can't get rid of this thing?" Jeanne proposes, repeating her actions on the remaining spots of evil.
[10:00] * Dinadan nods and begins to help out.
[10:01] * Calathra has no bow, but nods in approval. Though she doesn't seem thrilled about going near the thing with loads of teeth.
[10:06] <Merc> Arrows work well on the eyeballs, but don't do much with the gaping maws, the gaping maws opening their mouths to eat the arrows as soon as they're hit.
[10:09] * Calathra lights a torch on fire and flings it at one of the gaping maws.
[10:09] * Jeanne switches back to her chain and smashes it against that same maw with all her strength once Calathra acts.
[10:10] <Merc> The mouth starts to chew on the torch, before bursting in fire as the fire touches it.
[10:10] <Jeanne> "Nice," Jeanne says admiringly, looking to see whether the fire expands.
[10:12] <Dinadan> "Sick," Dinadan makes a disgusted face.
[10:13] <Merc> The fire does look like its expanding, but very slowly through the flesh corridor, except when it reaches another close by mouth, resulting in another burst of fire. OOC: Are you going to wait for it to burn through all the flesh corridor, or pick off the mouths one by one?
[10:14] <Calathra> OOC: The latter
[10:14] <Jeanne> OOC: Yep
[10:16] <Dinadan> OOC - Pick'em.
[10:19] <Merc> Slowly, one by one the remaining mouths get picked off by them, the fire spreading just a bit easier with more areas aflame. As the flesh corridor begins to burn, the trio begin to see space behind the burning flesh walls, and stone beneath the burning floor.
[10:26] <Merc> Some short time afterwards, a couple of chests and rotting skeletons are revealed in the larger stone corridor formerly blocked from sight by the flesh corridor.
[10:28] * Calathra walks over to the chests and has a look, frowning.
[10:32] <Merc> Once opened, the chests show that they contain a variety of jewels and coins, a ring and a pair of capped leather tubes.
[10:32] * Calathra appears to approve!
[10:34] * Dinadan nods solemnly at that. "Things taken from the captives?" he muses aloud.
[10:34] <Jeanne> "We should move on," Jeanne comments.
[10:35] * Calathra nods, and starts heading back down to the unexplored direction.
[10:39] * Dinadan nods belately and follows.
[10:41] <Merc> Returning downstairs and taking the remaining corridor, the group comes upon a large wooden door, covering the entire wall at the end of the corridor. Inscribed underneath a pair of metal knockers on the door, is "Please knock before entering!"
[10:42] <Dinadan> "Ooooh, knockers..." Dinadan stares at the door dumbly, before blinking and reaching out to knock. "Should we knock?"
[10:44] * Calathra shrugs.
[10:46] <Jeanne> "A mage would know we are here," Jeanne says doubtfully. "Maron, could you take a look beyond?"
[10:48] <Merc> Maron nods her head slowly, although it looks like she's trembling a bit. This whole building has been creepy to her, especially the upstairs. Taking a deep breath, Jeanne's guardian angel peeks through the door.
[10:51] <Merc> Quickly she pulls out, and whispers in Jeanne's ear, "There's a man, he's just sitting there with his eyes closed, looking at the door, at me, smiling, smiling so....scary!" she says, all shook up.
[10:52] <Jeanne> "I see." Jeanne turns to Dinadan. "We may as well knock."
[10:52] <Merc> "Jeanne...It looked like smoke was coming off him too," Maron adds, not certain what that means.
[10:53] <Dinadan> "Does that mean he was no fire?" Dinadan scouwls, sniffing the air. "I don't smell anyone burning, I don't think." So checking, he sniffs the air a few more times.
[10:55] <Merc> Dinadan doesn't smell anything through the thick door, no wait, maybe a little? There's a faint but foul smell, but it doesn't smell like smoke either...
[10:56] * Dinadan tries to figure where it's coming from, curiously.
[10:58] <Merc> Coming from inside. The smell must be strong inside to be felt even faintly through the thick door.
[10:58] * Jeanne proceeds to knock on the door.
[10:58] <Merc> ooc: with the knocker, or just pounding on it with your fist?
[10:59] <Jeanne> OOC: With the knocker, may I die bravely
[11:00] <Merc> ooc: reflex save
[11:00] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+7
[11:00] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 1d20+7 and gets 18." [1d20=11]
[11:02] <Merc> As Jeanne grasps the knocker and proceeds to knock, the knocker suddenly seems to have a mind of it's own and pulls Jeanne's hand to try and smash her fingers against the doors. Jeanne however seems to have been prepared for such an action and pulls off her hand as the knocker slams into the door, making a resounding knock. "Come iiiiiinnnnn!!!" says a voice from inside.
[11:03] <Jeanne> Frowning, Jeanne pushes the door open.
[11:03] * Dinadan peers inside, weapon drawn. Since evil gets to be smited, right?
[11:08] <Merc> The room seems mostly empty, although it does have some items besides their quarry. On one end, they can spot a table, a pair of books lying on it. High up on the walls, well out of reach without a ladder or some similar item, are some torches, illuminating the room well. In the wall opposite they find who they sought, sitting in a stone chair. [more]
[11:11] <Merc> It is a golden-haired bearded man, with a rich blue outfit, his eyes looking straight at the group, his smile widening by far, as smoke seems to depart from his body faster, lines across his body turning black as if burnt. He stands, grabbing a longsword by his side, dragging it against the ground before lifting it as it ignites in flames, and he points it to the group. [more]
[11:11] <Merc> "Welcome to Grissre's abode," he says, not sounding quite as insane as he made himself appear before.
[11:12] * Dinadan attemps to detect evil.
[11:12] * Calathra does not register as evil. She does seem terribly agitated, however.
[11:13] <Merc> Evil rolls off the man who has identified himself as the so called Grissre the Scholar.
[11:15] <Jeanne> "You have your chance to surrender," Jeanne says gravely, chain out.
[11:15] <Dinadan> "Oh, okay, guess we're gonna smite you," Dinadan nods to himself, weapon out. "Unless you wanna surrender?"
[11:17] <Merc> "No. I'd rather...play. Unless you wish to surrender to me?" he says, still smiling widely.
[11:20] <Jeanne> "Smite him, Dinadan," Jeanne says, frown remaining on her face. "He had his chance."
[11:20] <Merc> ooc: Init then
[11:21] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+2
[11:21] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 1d20+2 and gets 18." [1d20=16]
[11:21] <Merc> Roll 1d20+3
[11:21] <Merc> roll 1d20+3
[11:21] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+3 and gets 6." [1d20=3]
[11:22] <Calathra> roll 1d20+8
[11:22] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+8 and gets 25." [1d20=17]
[11:22] <Dinadan> roll 1d20+1
[11:23] * Hatbot --> "Dinadan rolls 1d20+1 and gets 5." [1d20=4]
[11:27] * Calathra hop, skips, and jumps towards the strange old man, pressing a knife up against his throat! OOC: I'm running up to him and readying an action to hit him with DEATH MARK if he tries anything weird.
[11:31] <Jeanne> "Let's go, Maron!" Jeanne calls out.
[11:31] <Merc> Maron nods as she prepares to launch a beam of light as soon as Jeanne launches her own attack.
[11:32] * Jeanne attacks the evil scholar without preamble!
[11:32] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+10
[11:32] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 1d20+10 and gets 22." [1d20=12]
[11:33] <Jeanne> roll 2d4+6
[11:33] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 2d4+6 and gets 11." [2d4=2, 3]
[11:34] <Merc> Jeanne misses by a hair, Grissre's natural defense just barely protecting him from Jeanne's furious attack. Maron launches her own attack in conjunction to Jeanne's hoping to hit where Jeanne missed.
[11:34] <Merc> roll 1d20+3
[11:34] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+3 and gets 16." [1d20=13]
[11:35] <Merc> Alas, it was not to be, as Grissre raises his sword and prepares to slice downward into Jeanne's body.
[11:35] <Calathra> OOC: Awesome! Do I get to stab him now?
[11:35] <Merc> have a blast.
[11:35] <Calathra> OOC: Keep in mind I'd be like between him and Jeanne
[11:35] <Calathra> OOC: 'cos Jeanne has a chain
[11:35] <Calathra> OOC: so I'd probably get an AoO on him, too.
[11:36] * Calathra stabs this weird man! With her mystical fire attack! That was probably a really, really bad call, in retrospect...
[11:36] <Calathra> roll 1d20+12
[11:36] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+12 and gets 25." [1d20=13]
[11:38] <Calathra> roll 1d4+9 (reflex DC 16 plz)
[11:38] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d4+9 (reflex DC 16 plz) and gets 12." [1d4=3]
[11:38] <Calathra> roll 6d6 FIRE
[11:38] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 6d6 FIRE and gets 17." [6d6=5, 3, 1, 2, 5, 1]
[11:38] <Calathra> (to save vs. that)
[11:41] <Merc> Grissre just smiles as Calathra's attack hits. Fire bursts forth, in a wave around Grissre, his skin, his clothes, everything he has burns, a blackened form that cracks and falls to the ground revealing a purple creature on fire with splintered wings. "Yeeeeesss. You -are- what I was looking for halfling..." the demon states.
[11:42] * Calathra yelps, biting her lip and giving this creature a more apprehensive look.
[11:49] <Merc> Dinadan proceeds to charge at the demon his sword at the ready, attempting to smite it back to the hells that spawned it!
[11:50] <Merc> roll 1d20+8
[11:50] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+8 and gets 11." [1d20=3]
[11:50] <Merc> His charge however, seems to not have helped him deal a powerful blow at the creature.
[11:52] <Calathra> Stepping around to flank this monstrosity with.. someone, Calathra unleashes a terrible trio of blows at the beast, each one stronger than the last!
[11:52] <Calathra> roll 1d20+8
[11:52] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+8 and gets 25." [1d20=17]
[11:52] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+8 and gets 14." [1d20=6]
[11:52] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+8 and gets 25." [1d20=17]
[11:53] <Calathra> OOC: er
[11:53] <Calathra> OOC: Those are actually
[11:53] <Calathra> OOC: All at +4
[11:53] <Calathra> OOC: So 29, 18, and 29
[11:55] <Merc> The creature hisses. "You try my patience, halfling. I was thinking of leaving you for last, but it seems you wish to be the first to be destroyed."
[11:55] <Calathra> roll 1d4+13
[11:55] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d4+13 and gets 15." [1d4=2]
[11:56] <Calathra> roll 1d4+11
[11:56] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d4+11 and gets 15." [1d4=4]
[11:56] <Jeanne> Her chain lights up with holy energy as she lays eyes upon Gressre's true form, and Jeanne strikes, taking advantage of Calathra's flanking efforts! "The only one destroyed today will be you!" she proclaims.
[11:56] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+16 smite~
[11:56] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 1d20+16 smite~ and gets 22." [1d20=6]
[11:58] <Merc> Again, so close, but no, Jeanne's attack does not hit. Maron, frowns, and decides to support Jeanne by casting protection from evil.
[11:58] * Jeanne retreats a step in the aftermath, cautious now.
[11:59] <Merc> Grissre proceeds to slash at the halfling with his longsword, grinning at the halfling.
[11:59] <Calathra> OOC: My AC is 24!
[11:59] <Merc> roll 1d20+14
[11:59] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+14 and gets 24." [1d20=10]
[11:59] <Merc> roll 1d20+9
[11:59] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+9 and gets 18." [1d20=9]
[12:00] <Calathra> OOC: hardie-fucking-har
[12:01] <Merc> roll 1d8+7+1d6
[12:01] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d8+7+1d6 and gets 9." [1d8=1][1d6=1]
[12:02] <Merc> Dinadan frowns and positions himself around the creature, leaving itself open to an attack, but allowing him to better position himself to aid the halflign in taking down the devil.
[12:03] <Merc> Grissre, attacks as expected, slicing at the paladin with his longsword.
[12:03] <Merc> roll 1d20+14
[12:03] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+14 and gets 33." [1d20=19]
[12:03] <Merc> roll 1d20+14 confirm
[12:03] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+14 confirm and gets 21." [1d20=7]
[12:03] <Merc> roll 1d8+7+1d6
[12:03] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d8+7+1d6 and gets 16." [1d8=8][1d6=1]
[12:04] <Merc> Dinadan grunts and proceeds to return the favor, slashing away himself.
[12:04] <Merc> roll 1d20+8
[12:04] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+8 and gets 25." [1d20=17]
[12:04] <Merc> roll 1d8
[12:04] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d8 and gets 6." [1d8=6]
[12:05] <Merc> The demon merely snorts at that attack. "Weakling," it insults as it continues to focus on Calathra
[12:05] * Jeanne throws herself back into the fray, charging with a once-more glowing chain!
[12:05] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+18 smite #2~
[12:05] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 1d20+18 smite #2~ and gets 35." [1d20=17]
[12:06] <Jeanne> roll 2d4+11
[12:06] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 2d4+11 and gets 17." [2d4=2, 4]
[12:09] <Merc> "Wait your turn, girl," The demon comments, with gritted teeth.
[12:09] <Calathra> OOC: That was for you, Eb
[12:10] * Calathra continues to slice and dice the demon, a flurry of mayhem, punctuated by a sudden leap backwards! OOC: fullattack+suddenleap+tumblecheck
[12:10] <Calathra> roll 1d20+14
[12:10] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+14 and gets 33." [1d20=19]
[12:10] <Calathra> roll 1d20+14
[12:10] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+14 and gets 15." [1d20=1]
[12:10] <Calathra> roll 1d20+14 crit
[12:10] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+14 crit and gets 32." [1d20=18]
[12:10] <Calathra> roll 2d4+20 crit damage? >.>
[12:10] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 2d4+20 crit damage? >.> and gets 25." [2d4=3, 2]
[12:10] <Calathra> roll 1d20+12 tumble check to move without AoO, DC 15?
[12:10] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+12 tumble check to move without AoO, DC 15? and gets 13." [1d20=1]
[12:12] <Calathra> roll 1d20+14 sigh, fumbles are gay
[12:12] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+14 sigh, fumbles are gay and gets 32." [1d20=18]
[12:13] <Merc> The demon grunts and proceeds to slam into Jeanne, deciding to take his frustation on the other girl.
[12:14] <Merc> roll 1d20+12
[12:14] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+12 and gets 28." [1d20=16]
[12:14] <Merc> roll 1d20+12
[12:14] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+12 and gets 19." [1d20=7]
[12:14] <Merc> ooc: change target to Dinadan. Forgot Corwin has the annoyng chain
[12:15] <Merc> roll 1d8+7+1d6
[12:15] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d8+7+1d6 and gets 13." [1d8=2][1d6=4]
[12:17] <Merc> Dinadan winces, and prays to his god to unleash his holy wrath on the demon, as he attacks.
[12:17] <Merc> 1d20+8
[12:17] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+8 and gets 15." [1d20=7]
[12:18] <Merc> His attack however does not hit, though hopefully Jeanne can succeed where he's been failing.
[12:18] * Jeanne attempts to support Dinadan, her chain snaking out towards the demon!
[12:19] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+5 (5 pa)
[12:19] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 1d20+5 (5 pa) and gets 19." [1d20=14]
[12:22] <Merc> Jeanne's luck just isn't holding out today. Although at least she's not getting slaughtered. Poor Dinadan. Maron seems to feel the same way and prays for healing power as she touches the other paladin.
[12:22] <Merc> roll 1d8+1
[12:22] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d8+1 and gets 8." [1d8=7]
[12:24] * Calathra focuses! In a martial style, recovering her lost secret techniques!
[12:24] <Calathra> OOC: Flashing Sun GET
[12:27] <Merc> Grissre does not like the looks of what Calathra seems to be attempting, and decides to leave himself open to the lamb he was slaughtering. Not like he'd gotten a good hit on him, so why should things change? He charges towards the halfling, intent on ripping her apart.
[12:27] <Merc> ooc: Dinadan, you get an AoO on the demon
[12:27] * Dinadan takes advantage and slashes at the demon!
[12:27] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+10 AoO, too~
[12:27] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 1d20+10 AoO, too~ and gets 12." [1d20=2]
[12:27] <Dinadan> roll 1d20+8
[12:27] * Hatbot --> "Dinadan rolls 1d20+8 and gets 14." [1d20=6]
[12:29] <Merc> Both paladins fail to hurt the demon as he proceeds to slash at the halfling with as much power as he could.
[12:29] <Merc> roll 1d20+16
[12:29] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+16 and gets 20." [1d20=4]
[12:29] <Calathra> OOC: It is a miss!
[12:29] <Merc> ooc: oh darn
[12:29] <Merc> ooc: Din
[12:29] * Dinadan growls low in his throat, lunging! "Why you little...!"
[12:29] <Dinadan> roll 1d20+8
[12:29] * Hatbot --> "Dinadan rolls 1d20+8 and gets 9." [1d20=1]
[12:30] <Merc> ooc: fumble attack roll check
[12:30] <Dinadan> roll 1d20+8
[12:30] * Hatbot --> "Dinadan rolls 1d20+8 and gets 27." [1d20=19]
[12:31] <Merc> Dinadan fails, even coming close to leaving himself open in his charge, but he manages to catch his footing at the last second.
[12:31] * Jeanne charges after the demon and her fellow divine servant, eager to run him through!
[12:31] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+9 (pa 5)
[12:31] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 1d20+9 (pa 5) and gets 26." [1d20=17]
[12:32] <Merc> ooc: hit
[12:32] <Jeanne> roll 2d4+16 glee~
[12:32] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 2d4+16 glee~ and gets 18." [2d4=1, 1]
[12:33] <Merc> The creature grunts, but its eyes are solely focused on the halfling.
[12:33] * Calathra endeavours to put her daggers inside them! They flicker three times, each strike faster than the last!
[12:33] <Calathra> roll 1d20+12
[12:33] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+12 and gets 30." [1d20=18]
[12:33] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+12 and gets 25." [1d20=13]
[12:33] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+12 and gets 13." [1d20=1]
[12:33] <Calathra> roll 1d20+12 fail lol
[12:33] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+12 fail lol and gets 16." [1d20=4]
[12:34] <Calathra> roll 2d4+26 on presumption of success
[12:34] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 2d4+26 on presumption of success and gets 31." [2d4=3, 2]
[12:34] <Merc> Maron again, tries to heal Dinadan, letting him recover a bit more while she can as Calathra focuses on slicing up the demon, doing a wonderful job even.
[12:34] <Merc> roll 1d8+1
[12:34] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d8+1 and gets 4." [1d8=3]
[12:35] <Merc> The demon doesn't seem to care as it slams into the halfling.
[12:35] <Merc> roll 1d20+11
[12:35] <Merc> roll 1d20+11
[12:35] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+11 and gets 25." [1d20=14]
[12:35] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+11 and gets 31." [1d20=20]
[12:35] <Merc> roll 1d20+11 crit confirm
[12:35] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+11 crit confirm and gets 12." [1d20=1]
[12:36] <Merc> roll 2d8+8
[12:36] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 2d8+8 and gets 18." [2d8=2, 8]
[12:36] <Merc> ooc; reflex save, cal
[12:36] <Calathra> roll 1d20+9 yaaaaay
[12:36] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+9 yaaaaay and gets 14." [1d20=5]
[12:37] <Merc> roll 1d4
[12:37] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d4 and gets 2." [1d4=2]
[12:37] <Merc> The attack of the demon makes it grin as it sees that the halfling catches on fire.
[12:37] * Dinadan flanks the demon and slams into it with all his swordly might!
[12:38] <Dinadan> roll 1d20+10
[12:38] * Hatbot --> "Dinadan rolls 1d20+10 and gets 12." [1d20=2]
[12:40] <Merc> Dinadan's attack doesn't much help, so hopefully Jeanne and Maron can save the day. Or maybe Calathra if she can put out the fire.
[12:40] <Merc> roll 1d6 fire damage for the halfling and then it's JEanne's turn
[12:41] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d6 fire damage for the halfling and then it's JEanne's turn and gets 6." [1d6=6]
[12:41] * Calathra falls over!
[12:42] <Jeanne> "Calathra!" Jeanne calls out, and moves across the room until she is behind the halfling, where she proceeds to place her hands on her small, burnt form.
[12:43] <Jeanne> OOC: 20 hp
[12:44] * Calathra is *still* on the ground! But her eyes are open now.
[12:44] <Merc> Maron also helps Calathra, adding her own healing touch!
[12:47] * Calathra tries to roll away!
[12:47] <Calathra> roll 1d20+12
[12:47] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+12 and gets 21." [1d20=9]
[12:48] * Calathra tries to pick herself up off the ground when she's relatively safe!
[12:48] <Merc> Calathra rolls away from the amused Grissre. "My, I had not thought you were so fragile, little one, with how much you've hurt me."
[12:49] <Jeanne> "We'll keep on hurting you until you die from it!" Jeanne tells him bravely.
[12:50] <Merc> Turning his eyes to Jeanne with afrown, the demon slashes at the girl. "Silence, girl. You are not as useful as the halfling to me."
[12:50] <Merc> roll 1d20+14
[12:50] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+14 and gets 24." [1d20=10]
[12:50] <Merc> roll 1d20+9
[12:50] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+9 and gets 15." [1d20=6]
[12:50] <Merc> roll 1d8+7+1d6
[12:50] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d8+7+1d6 and gets 15." [1d8=7][1d6=1]
[12:50] * Jeanne gasps. "You unnatural beast!"
[12:54] * Dinadan attacks the beast once more!
[12:54] <Dinadan> roll 1d20+10
[12:54] * Hatbot --> "Dinadan rolls 1d20+10 and gets 22." [1d20=12]
[12:56] <Merc> The demon avoids Dinadan's attack, though it's the closest he's gotten with his blade. Grissre recognizes this and mocks him. "Ah, but you must be one of those fellow who gets stronger as the fight goes on. How quaint. You shall be an interesting distraction once I kill the other two."
[12:56] <Jeanne> "We have to put this fiend down, Maron," Jeanne declares grimly, and swings her chain at the demon before stepping back and allowing the halfling enough space to strike at it next.
[12:56] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+12
[12:56] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 1d20+12 and gets 14." [1d20=2]
[12:59] <Merc> Maron nods, and attempts another beam of light attack to aid Jeanne's attack.
[12:59] <Merc> roll 1d20+3
[12:59] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+3 and gets 18." [1d20=15]
[13:00] <Merc> Grissre frowns. "You were more interesting earlier when you had him as a shield," he mutters, before moving towards the halfling. "It seems we have come back to you, child."
[13:01] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+12 die~
[13:01] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 1d20+12 die~ and gets 28." [1d20=16]
[13:01] * Dinadan takes advantage and slashes the demon!
[13:01] <Dinadan> roll 1d20+8
[13:01] * Hatbot --> "Dinadan rolls 1d20+8 and gets 28." [1d20=20]
[13:01] <Dinadan> roll 1d20+8 crit check?
[13:01] * Hatbot --> "Dinadan rolls 1d20+8 crit check? and gets 25." [1d20=17]
[13:01] <Jeanne> roll 2d4+6 please~
[13:01] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 2d4+6 please~ and gets 10." [2d4=3, 1]
[13:01] <Dinadan> roll 2d8
[13:01] * Hatbot --> "Dinadan rolls 2d8 and gets 11." [2d8=7, 4]
[13:03] <Merc> Jeanne's attack bounces off his body doing no damage, but Dinadan has managed to do some.
[13:04] <Calathra> Calathra drops her sword (!) and produces a pair of tiny, tiny daggers, barely bigger than a man's finger; they glint menacingly in the darkness, and she holds her ground. Her lips move. It looks like they might be saying 'come'. (Readied action to use wolf's fang technique when he comes in range. i.e. I get two attacks as a standard action.)
[13:07] * Dinadan is now known as Ko-gone
[13:07] <Merc> "Boy...stay as you were earlier, if you don't wish to suffer more," the demon states, without looking back, focusing on the halfling as he twirls his sword and prepares to slash as soon as they're in each other's range. "Let's play again," he offers as he grins widely.
[13:08] * Calathra gives a rather curt shake of the head, and the *cold iron daggers* lash out towards the demon, perhaps, as they should've from the start.
[13:08] <Calathra> roll 1d20+11
[13:08] <Calathra> roll 1d20+11
[13:08] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+11 and gets 13." [1d20=2]
[13:08] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+11 and gets 15." [1d20=4]
[13:09] <Jeanne> roll 1d20-1
[13:09] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 1d20-1 and gets 2." [1d20=3]
[13:10] <Merc> The demon roars with laughter. "WAs that your best? Oh, I shall enjoy this," the demon says as he slashes at the halfling.
[13:10] <Merc> roll 1d20+14
[13:10] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+14 and gets 15." [1d20=1]
[13:10] <Merc> roll 1d20+14
[13:10] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+14 and gets 28." [1d20=14]
[13:11] <Merc> The demon has been getting too cocky it seems, his attack wide over the head of the small halfling, but it doesn't seem to do much more than that.
[13:14] <Merc> Dinadan attempts to slash at the demon again, hoping to get lucky again and get its attention away from Calathra. "I'm not one to stay away."
[13:15] <Merc> roll 1d20+10
[13:15] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+10 and gets 27." [1d20=17]
[13:15] <Merc> Dinadan's attack hits but does no damage, although it does get the demon's attention again, if even partially.
[13:16] * Jeanne has no better idea than to follow into the melee once more, pressing on with her attack!
[13:17] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+9 (pa 5)
[13:17] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 1d20+9 (pa 5) and gets 28." [1d20=19]
[13:17] <Jeanne> roll 2d4+16
[13:17] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 2d4+16 and gets 20." [2d4=2, 2]
[13:18] <Merc> Grissre grunts at the attack as Maron attempt yet once more to hit the demon with her beam attack
[13:18] <Merc> roll 1d20+3
[13:18] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+3 and gets 7." [1d20=4]
[13:18] <Jeanne> "Your time has come!"
[13:19] <Merc> "Spare me the theatrics, woman!"
[13:19] * Calathra is willing to agree with that, and she steps forward to plunge her hopefully anti-demon daggers into it's back!
[13:19] <Calathra> roll 1d20+11
[13:19] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+11 and gets 14." [1d20=3]
[13:19] <Calathra> roll 1d20+11
[13:19] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+11 and gets 21." [1d20=10]
[13:19] <Calathra> roll 1d3+10
[13:19] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d3+10 and gets 13." [1d3=3]
[13:21] <Merc> Grissre, slashes towards Jeanne. "Surrender fools! You have no hope!" he shouts.
[13:21] <Merc> roll 1d20+14
[13:21] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+14 and gets 29." [1d20=15]
[13:21] <Merc> roll 1d20+9
[13:21] * Hatbot --> "Merc rolls 1d20+9 and gets 19." [1d20=10]
[13:21] <Merc> ooc: dammit, I hate reach weapons, I keep forgetting abou their crap
[13:21] <Merc> ooc:scratch demon's last action
[13:22] <Merc> Grissre moves to position himself so as to slash at Jeanne. "Surrender fools! You have no hope!" he shouts.
[13:22] <Calathra> roll 1d20+13 kill it, he says
[13:22] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+13 kill it, he says and gets 33." [1d20=20]
[13:22] <Calathra> roll 1d20+13 ok
[13:22] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 1d20+13 ok and gets 24." [1d20=11]
[13:23] <Jeanne> roll 1d20+12 sure!
[13:23] * Hatbot --> "Jeanne rolls 1d20+12 sure! and gets 14." [1d20=2]
[13:23] <Calathra> roll 2d3+20
[13:23] * Hatbot --> "Calathra rolls 2d3+20 and gets 25." [2d3=3, 2]
[13:24] <Merc> "Arrgh," the demon screams as he's slashed in the back by the halfling. "No...What a foolish thing I did," he mutters as he falls to the ground, his flames beginning to flicker and slowly, die out.
[13:24] * Jeanne slams the fallen demon several times with her chain for good measure.
[13:25] <Merc> With Jeanne's abuse, the demon truly dies, its form breaking apart, perhaps returning to the plane from which it came.

Merc

Post to be replaced with better summary of after-events of Grissre's death, and Grissre's journal portions if requested

Basically, following looting after killing the Palrethee calling himself Grissre, the three heroes go get the group waiting in the dungeons of the building, and take 'em out. On the route back to Trail's End, they encounter the bodies of two dead, and some bleeding continuing on the way there.

I had planned that if a group did leave, based on what the three PCs said/did, I'd I'd increase/lower the chances that some people would die or get injured by a red slaad's attack. Some random rolls to determine such, and two people died and one was injured, implated with a slaad egg. I'd reduce the mission exp based on what happened, to a minimum of 800 exp. Someone being implanted was the big thing, because no one know what was happening, and it'd result in a blue slaad loose in Trail's End in a week's time.

Anyhow, the group gets to Trail's End, they're rewarded some money besides what they liberated, they're thrown a party, yada, yada, yada, none of you guys have identify to figure out the Palrethee's longsword's magic stuff or the martial scripts, you guys have little more to do in there, and you'll all be asked to help with something on your way out of Trail's End.

You can sell stuff/buy stuff in Trail's End, but you won't get as much money for sold stuff, and stuff you buy may vary in prices/availability.

I'll run separate sessions for each person if they do want to sell/buy stuff. Decide what you guys want to do with the loot and if you want to sell/buy stuff before next session two weeks from now.