News:

Because we're grown ups now, and its our turn to decide what that means.

Main Menu

7th Sea - Narrative Galore, Rules just as much

Started by Dracos, October 25, 2009, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

Merc is a bitch.  That is all.   Oh, you want to hear about 7th sea in the same format as his callout?  Well, it won't be good.  Here's the short.

Pros:
Lively and interesting dialogue. 
Rules inherently based around your guys being badasses and clearing out crews of enemies by themselves.
Pirates, everyone loves pirates.
It really focuses on its setting well
It actually has ship rules and money and such.
It runs well without a grid

Neutral:
It's an exotic set of mechanics, quite different from the normal fare

Cons:
World map incoherent
Magic complicated and dangerous
Lack of convenient rules listing.  There's no great cheat sheet and it's so full of special cases it's annoying to make one.  I really should though -_-
Lots of special casing making it difficult to form an intuition for what things will be without looking.
Gigantic init rules make a computer maintainer almost necessary
Guns are 1 use per combat.
Dracos has still failed to really feel comfortable with it after running several sessions and reading through the books multiple times.  His players don't seem to be doing much better, with the exception of the ones who has played it much before.

Scores?  No.  Screw that :P

In depth?

Maybe soon.
Well, Goodbye.

Merc

<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Edward

Quote from: Dracos on October 25, 2009, 01:43:28 AM
Cons:
World map incoherent

Agreed.  I question if the person making the map had ever seen one in real life.  If they had, they weren't paying attention.

Magic complicated and dangerous

Most of the magic isn't dangerous and it varies in how complicated it is.  It lacks as much directly combat oriented magic as say D&D, but I think that was a design decision so it didn't get in the way of swashbuckling.

Gigantic init rules make a computer maintainer almost necessary

For online, it is a big help.  Face-to-face I didn't find it difficult.

Guns are 1 use per combat.

This matches every swashbuckling book and movie ever made, so I don't see it as a flaw.  The Musketeers were the elite firearm unit of their army, as you can tell by the name, but they spend most of the stories using swords, not guns.

It also matches real life pretty well.  The real Dread Pirate Roberts carried four pistols in his sash and still had a sword for when he was out of bullets.

If you see Vampire Hikaru Shidou, it is Fox.  No one else does that.  You need no other evidence." - Dracos

"Huh? Which rant?" - Gary

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Servitor of the Outer Gods with your ineffective Thompson Submachine Gun." - grimjack