Chapter 3 logs: Rogue Personas - Shiro and Dami

Started by VySaika, January 18, 2010, 09:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VySaika

Side Story: Mike chats with someone from the Rabbit Hole over AIM

This takes place the Sunday before the confrontation with Dami on Monday.

> --------------------------------
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> Dr. KFR, I presume?
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> Ah, indeed.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> And this must be Anansi.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> Correct. Apologies for lulls on my end, I'm attempting to gather my thoughts. I suppose we should start with some form of the basics, at least?
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> Not a problem. And yes, basics are an excellent place to start. Such as they can be determined in these incidents at least.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> I suppose I should call them Events, rather. That is the common terminology used in the Hole.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> Alright, then. Basics of this Event - a certain number of people - currently impossible to distinguish natural from unnatural, but it's known some are unnaturally caused - are experienced mental afflictions or are killed by being forced into conflict with their Shadow.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> Excuse me, have experienced.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> Hmm, define Shadows in this Event if you can? That's a common term that crops up, but changes meaning between Events I find.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> I was uncertain if it would be a shared definition. Very well: in this Event, the Shadow is... simply put, a repressed portion of one's self, excited by some outside force.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> Or at least that is the current hypothesis - it matches what has been observed thus far.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> And where does one encounter these Shadows? In a specific place? In a seperate world? Just out on the streets?
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> Their existence is in another world, what has been termed by Igor as the "Dream World". Hypothetically it was originally stated to just be a part of the subconscious, but such a theory does not quite hold with what we've seen. Myself and associated allies also possess the ability to see Shadows in the real world on those afflicted.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> Encounters, however, pretty much take place in the Dream World.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> Interesting. I note that this Igor figure is a common link between many Events as well.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> Indeed, though your own implication is that he's not present in all. I would guess that his space is only used when a Persona user has need of it - there are those recently met that do not use the Velvet Room. Regardless. These Shadows seem to be provoked by different people - at least one being a Persona user themselves, though they cannot recall having their own Shadow - their own Persona - awoken.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> SOunds complicated. Even by these standards.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> Lovely.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> And no, there was no Igor present in my own Event. I gather that he serves as some sort of guide or Exposition Character, if you'll pardon comparing this to literature. In my Event, the Personas themselves served in that role.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> Ah, that explains that. Our Personas are... well, mine is definitely aware, but in general the Personas seem to be more a reflection of the person than of the being they take the form of.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> Are you limited to a single Persona, or can you aqquire and bond with new ones as you gain more skill and familiarity with the supernatural?
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> Limited to a single Persona. However, our Persona's talents themselves seem malleable and capable of growing, especially through interaction with others.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> Hmm. Is the power gained from those interactions refered to as anything in particular?
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> Social Links. Did your Event possess an analogue?
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> Pardon all the seemingly odd questions, I'm simply trying to get a feel for the...mechanics, for lack of a better term, of your Event.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> Yes, though ours were called Soul Bonds.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> No, it's fine - this helps me refine my own definitions and boundaries on the situation.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> Social Links has come up more then once, though. As have Soul Bonds. They seem to be different styles of gaining power through connections.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> I see. What would the difference therein be, if I could ask?
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> Now you seem to have alllied Persona users from what you're saying. Is everyone capable of forming Social Links or just you?
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> Ah, I'll get to that in a moment if you don't mind.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> Okay. And yes, all allies can do so, from what I understand. I am not certain on the other Persona users encountered thus far.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> Interesting. So it's not like the Social Links from Judge's Event then. Hmm.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> I do not believe I can link with someone my ally has linked with, if that's relevant. It might be possible, but admittedly we all have differing social circles.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> So from my notes here, I'm seeing two seperate types of Social Links and two seperate types of Soul Bonds.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> Alright.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> For Social Links, there's your definition. Then Judge's definition, where only one person in her group was capable of forming them, thier leader who was of the World Arcana and followed entirely different rules from the rest of them.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> For Soul Bonds, there's the definition used in my Event, where forming a Bond granted us another Persona to use. We were able to form two Bonds each, and strengthening the Bond made that particular Persona stronger.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> Then the second definition of that I've seen is when the Bond allows the Persona user to effectively summon the "Persona" of the person they formed the Bond with to perform some attack or function.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> Mm. Intriguing.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> World Arcana - that was mentioned once before. Final card in the Tarot, signifying... well, signifying a lot. No, none of our Personas are of that Arcana, nor do any of us seem to have that power.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> Whenever a World Arcana does show up, they tend to be at the center of everything I find. Either the main protagonist, if you'll excuse the literary comparison yet again, or one of the sources of the problem.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> World Arcana also has a habit of masquerading as the Fool Arcana.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> ...Interesting, but I'm still decently sure I'm not a World Arcana. Leader a bit, perhaps, but that's probably more attributable to other factors, and the main protagonist would probably be an ally, not me.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> So that narrows it down to either not present or one of the sources of the problem.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> Ah, you're a Fool as well I take it?
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> Yes, in most all senses of the word.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> Hah. Arcana tend to be fitting that way, for those of us bound to a single one.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> So, to recap, your Event involves Shadows that exist in an alternate world called the
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> "Dream World"
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> Damn that apostraphe key.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> Hahaha. Correct, yes.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> Igor is present in yours, as are Social Links by the second definition. You have allies and all seem to follow roughly the same rules I assume as there is no World Arcana present.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> Now you said that your and your allies can see Shadows in the real world as well?
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> Correct.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> Explain how that works, if you can? Does the Dream World overlap the real world? How do you enter it to begin with? Does someone have to enter the Dream World accidentally before Shadows can affect them?
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> No clue, give me a second and no.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> Our Personas seem to offer at least a modicum of capability in the real world, in exchange for being unable to normally enter the Dream World (Igor's words). We enter with his aid (thus the need for the Velvet Room). Outside the immediate group of allies, there are Persona users who do not need Igor's aid, but in exchange cannot identify Shadows from the real world's position.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> I do not know if saying the Dream World overlaps the real world is accurate.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> So there are multiple persona users who follow different sets of rules *without* the World Arcana being involved?
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> We have been to multiple "dreamscapes" (the term we use for an isolated person's mind in the Dream World, or an empty room's mind, or similar). Most reflect the inhabitants entirely, and their current mental states.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> Without the World Arcana being involved so far as I know.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> That's...
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> Unusual.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> It is possible another Persona user is the World Arcana.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> And, you've given me a theory, but it's not one I've grounding for yet.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> Hmm, do you know for a fact that a Persona user who follows different rules then you is of an Arcana besides World?
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> I know that at least one Persona user is responsible for me acquiring my Persona.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> I... actually don't, it hasn't been specified. On the other hand I sincerely, sincerely doubt he is.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> Okay, give me a moment.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> From what I understand in the vast majority of Events, all Persona Users within an Event follow the same rules. If there is an exception, that exception is always of the World Arcana, or the World/Fool amalgam.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> I know that at least one Persona user is responsible for me acquiring my Persona. I know this person is not the one who triggered the Persona of an ally, and furthermore that another ally was not triggered by either mine or the first ally.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> Er, first ally's triggerer.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> So that makes three triggers, at least one of which is a Persona user, another of which I am decently confident but not positive is one, and a third which honestly I have no clue on.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> ...
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> Let's take a guess and say that those three are Persona users, all three (there is some basis to this).
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> This sounds like the biggest clusterfuck of an Event I've ever heard of.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> My guess, based on what you're saying, is that the person who gave them their Personas is the World or the World/Fool.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> Hmm.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> you have not heard half of it
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> World/Fool creates Persona Users who follow one set of rules and they create Persona Users who follow a second set of rules?
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> Just checked notes, the person who triggered me claimed Chariot Arcana. I'd believe him, based on his Persona.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> That's my current theory.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> That's just the kind of twisted logic these Events like to use, I'll grant.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> Honestly it's the only thing that begins to resolve some of these botchas.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> As an aside, I think it proves beyond all doubt that I'm a Fool as well when I find myself starting to miss all this insanity the more you describe it.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> I'd say you're welcome to visit, but... well, there's a few other fun aspects.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> First up, because it concerns me the most: does the term "neverwas'd" mean anything to you?
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> Sounds ominious. At a guess, I'd gather that's describing a state where a person or thing is removed from existance and memory.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> Bingo. That has apparently happened to a large number of people, and one of my allies... fell victim.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> And only Persona Users remember the vanished, of course.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> Correct. You familiar with other incidents like this, or...?
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> Are all the dissapearances from your geographical area?
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> I don't believe so, but I can't be positive. A large number of names would not have come from this area, no.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> Hmm
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> And yes, I'm familiar with it.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> Something similar to that was the core premise of my Event, to be frank.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> In your case, were they all people that lacked social connections - friends, family...?
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> A strange location appeared that had not existed prior. I and a few others remembered that it wasn't there before, everyone else acted as if it had always been there. Some people would dissapear in it and then become, as you say, "neverwas'd".
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> Only we remembered them.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> No, it was anyone who wandered into that area and didn't make it back out.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> Hm, alright. Not entirely the same, but similar systems. Damn.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> Eventually we fixed the problem, saved most of the people and removed the area that should not have existed.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> We've been unable to trace what's causing it, in part because we can't figure out how to find a pattern. The list of names I found seems to be under attack nearly constantly and dropping on and off of the Internet.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> Hmm.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> That's unsettling, yes.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> Only those with no social connections have vanished, you said?
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> That seems to be the link in this case, yes. The ally we had found... we had not gotten to know too well, in part due to only having known them a brief period. When we inquired to Igor, that was the explanation we got.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> People who someone or something thinks won't be missed.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> Hmm. A common trait of this Igor is that he may be vague or hide information but he never overtly lies.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> So if that's what he said, then that's very likely the truth, if not nessesarily the whole truth.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> May I ask what country your Event is taking place in?
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> Yeah, that was what I got from him and his assistant.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> Japan.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> That's what I thought
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> Fertile grounds for Events, based on some of the factors discussed thus far, I think.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> A full half of all Persona Events seem to take place in that one small country. And Igor is almost always present in Japanese Events, while in others it's hit and miss.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> I suppose it's only fair to share that my own Event was in the American mid-west. Though that was quite some time ago.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> Repression of self being extremely common + immense amount of ancient culture and faith, near-completely abandonded + technological leader = breeding ground for Events, perhaps. But that's irrelevant, for at least right now.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> And alright. Good to know I could have had wacky hijinks even back home, at least.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> That sounds like a fairly solid theory. But yes, not really relevent to the matter at hand.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> The second factoid is a part of the Dream World that we've not explored much indepth - it was one of the "first-gen" Persona users to alert us to it, truth be told. Normally, when we enter a dream, we do so by entering the dreamscape of someone in a closed room.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> So when we try to go into the Dream of outside... well. Trying to think of how to describe that sight is very difficult, but it would not be totally inaccurate to call it a "dream/shadow" copy of our city.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> Buildings, roads, people... everything is different. Very different there.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> Hmm. Sounds like it does overlap the real world then.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> Is the Event contained to your city? What happens if you try to enter the Dream World outside of your city limits?
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> I ... we haven't tried. A stupid thing to not have thought of. This being said, all incidents of people have been within the city, but that doesn't mean it can't spread... One more thing for us to test.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> Is this in something large enough to be called a full City, or in a small town? I won't ask for specifics on where exactly, of course.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> Definitely a city, but being Japan, taking the bullet train or normal train out for a weekend's vacation on the excuse of shopping wouldn't be hard.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> May not be something bad to try, definately.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> I suppose the most advice I can offer right now is to push the boundaries. Make the Event impose hard limits on things, since once it does you can usually assume they will remain constant.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> Right. There's a bit more to things, but they can wait, and trying to press the Event for what precisely is going on seems like our best bet for getting through this without our head stuck in the mud.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> And there's always something that causes. Some singular entity or thing that's responsible for the breakout. So keep your eyes open there.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> That is the *one* thing that seems to be constant throughout all events.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> Can these things alter weather? (I don't know why I ask, this seeems obvious given all the rest of the abilities and power flying around, but)
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> More then likely. If they can make an entire forest appear over a quarter of the town and into the outskirts, causing everyone to forget that everyone who lived in that part of town ever existed, I'm sure they can change the weather.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> Nghfuck. Good for me to keep in mind, then. And I'll relay some of what I've learned here to my allies. Thanks again for this.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> Not a problem. Trying to make sense of all this is a hobby of mine.
<AnOrbweaverUnseen> Fair enough. It'll probably become one of mine as well, if I survive all this.
<KentuckyFriedRoadrunner> Also keeps it in my mind that this is all quite real.
> ----------------------------------------------------
All About Monks
<Marisa> They're OP as fuck
<Marisa> They definitely don't blow in 3.5
<Marisa> after a certain level they basically just attack repeatedly until it dies
<Marisa> they're immune to a bunch of high level effects
<Marisa> just by being monks

VySaika

> ----------------------------------------------------------
> Dami is quiet for a moment, then his voice returns, "By worse then killing, you don't mean driving people insane, do you?"
<Mykasi> "No, although that one's debatable." Mike says evenly. "The term we've been using is 'neverwas'd'. The person is completely written out of reality - all memories of them are stripped from people, all records from them are eliminated. The person never existed... to anyone but those who are capable of remembering. Like, say, Persona users."
* Nyarlahatbot has joined #personador
> "I...what?"
<Hikari> "Exactly. We have even witnessed this in progress. Mike does not exaggerate."
<Mykasi> "Yeah. Valeriya? Was one of us, originally. And then we tried to get in contact with her one day. Nothing. No one remembers her. Not a single damn person outside of us three. We know what's causing the forgetfulness, but... long story short, it's a repair mechanism caused by someone being completely torn out of reality, so pursuing them's no use from what I can tell. Might be worth it later, but not now."
> The sound of a deep breath being taken is audible over the intercom, then Dami's voice returns to the clinical calm of before, "I see. What could cause that many people to lose memories, and why does it spare us?"
<Nagare> "You may as well ask us the gender of angels. We have no idea yet. That's one of the biggest things we're pursuing, though."
<Mykasi> "We can give a basic answer, but we can't answer the deeper question, yeah." Mike nods. "The basic answer: something called pattern spiders. Invisible normally, detectable only when questioned about the topic. The thread, so to speak, of the concept is removed near-immediately - if you aren't protected by a Persona. That's all that protects us."
> "...spiders, you say? Could these spiders perhaps be made of black yarn, with orange buttons for eyes?"
<Mykasi> "...Bingo. I take it you have noticed them, then?" Mike queries.
> "Ah, I actually have one trapped in a box in here."
<Mykasi> "...ooooooooh." Mike grins. "Alright. Yeah, they're not meant to be directly maleovent from what we've learned, just... very much made to fit their purpos-" And it's there Mike stops, grin frozen.
<Hikari> "How did you capture it? Did it come here on its own?"
* Mykasi nods slightly to Hikari before spinning woodenly on his heels and walking back to the paper, scribbling furiously in English on it.
> The raven on the desk eyes Mike, though Dami answers Hikari's question, "I was observing the mental state of a subject through a dreamcatcher when I noticed the spider pulling thread from the subject and the subject's Shadow both. Nothing seemed capable of noticing it except for me, so I captured it."
> "It's proven remarkably resistant to being studdied at all. I can't even analyze it with Raven's Eye."
<Hikari> "I can't help but wonder who it was erasing knowledge of this time, but I presume you don't know. It would be extremely difficult to find out, of course. And yes, they are...difficult to deal with."
<Mykasi> A pause.
<Mykasi> "FUCK!"
> "I do not, no." Followed shortly buy, "Uh, pardon?"
* Nagare raises an eyebrow. "Non-sequitur, Mykasi?"
<Mykasi> Exhaling, Mike scratches out a decent amount of the theorycruft in Japanese, before shaking his head. "Apologies. Annoyed with myself for... uh, missing an obvious few points. Dami, if I could ask a few more questions about Raven and your acquisition of him? I sincerely apologize, but I think... this might be relevant."
> The raven walks over to eye Mike's notes as Dami responds, "Alright?"
<Mykasi> "Firstly, has Raven talked to you? Ever? I believe you said this was no, but I want to confirm this before I leap off theory creek."
> "No, Raven has never spoken a single word."
<Mykasi> "Okay. Second- well, no, that's too much to ask at once, and we don't have anything good to compare it against." Mike rubs his head. "I'll ask Hare, but what I'd like to request is a decent synopsis of everyone you talked to in the... let's say three days? Before Raven came. As well as whatever events occurred when Raven came. Not asking for them now, I realize such a report would take time to compile." (More)
<Mykasi> "What I'm looking for is something we can compare with Hare, to see similarities. For one, I think his Persona also doesn't speak - we've not witnessed it do so - which further ties you two together as 'first gen' Persona users, so to speak. But I want to try and pin some sort of source between you two, if possible."
<Mykasi> "Tall task, but... I'm betting on a source, just as you were the source for Hikari and Hare the source for mine. It may not be the same one, which would complicate things, but we'll follow the rabbit warren back until we find some food."
> "Hold on a moment, I think you're overlooking something." Dami notes, then his voice is a bit distant but still vaguely audible for the next line, "Raven. Are you incapable of speech or have you simply chosen not to speak to this point?"
<Mykasi> "Didn't actually overlook it. If both Personas remain mute except when provoked to speak, that's still a common thread." Mike mutters in English, but nods in approval at Dami's question regardless.
> And sure enough, a second voice, quite raspy and harsh responds, "Nevermore."
<Hikari> "...Can you say anything else?"
> A very deep sigh can be heard through the intercom, followed by, "...thank you, Raven."
> The raspy voice responds in a mocking tone, "Nope~"
* Hikari smirks. "Your persona has an attitude problem, Dami."
<Mykasi> "...Yes, well, not everyone's Persona is as... civil as yours, Hikari. Or do I need to remind you of Anansi's antics?"
<Hikari> "You do not."
<Nagare> "Would you rather have us remind you of Satomi Tadashi instead? I mean, I haven't even interacted with Abartach long enough to add relevant content to Persona discussions right now, so may as well... wait, where was I again?"
<Mykasi> "Right. Anyways. I'll see if Hare can get his Persona to talk, it's still worth noting that both of yours seem recalcitrant in that regard." Mike notes, before, "One final question. What Arcana are you, Dami?"
> "Hermit Arcana."
<Mykasi> "Right." Mike nods, scribbling "FOOL - STRENGTH - MOON - CHARIOT - HERMIT" on the sheet of paper before eyeing it. "That reminds me of why I brought up the 'neverwas'd' person. Dami, I'm going to make this very blunt - please get back in touch with Toshio unless you have personal reasons not to do so, and keep in touch." (More)
<Mykasi> "The more social contacts a person has, the harder it is for a person to be attacked in that regard. We didn't know Val well enough to save her. Please don't let yourself get taken like she did."
<Hikari> "Yes. When Toshio mentioned your recent disappearance, that was indeed one of our theories behind it."
> Dami is quiet for a long moment. When he does speak, his voice is devoid of any emotion, "I see."
> Raven's mocking tone is heard over the intercom again, "Hoooo, there's goes that plan, eh?"
<Hikari> "He *is* considerably worried about you, you know," Hikari says, ignoring the snarky persona.
<Nagare> "I think I'm starting to kind of like Raven, though," Nagare non-chalantly chides to Hikari.
<Mykasi> "... it's easy to close yourself off, isn't it?" Mike says softly, ignoring Raven entirely as he scribbles down on the paper in Japanese, "SOURCE -> First Gen (Hare/Raven) -> Second Gen (Anansi/Abartach/Brynhildr)" and then, besides First and Second Gen, "Catalyst/neutralizers".
> "I had taken steps towards simpley...relocating to the Dream in order to better study it, yes."
<Mykasi> "... ...mmm, yeah. I understand the concept, but would advise against it simply due to the dangers of that loss of connection. And while we're likely to keep in touch, having someone else around more consistently would probably be better." Mike says softly.
> "You have no reason at all I could fathom to lie about something like this, so...I'll see what I can manage. I'm not a very social person by nature, I'm afraid." Dami sighs, then changes the subject a bit and returns a question of his own, "If I may ask, where have you been geeting your information from? Something tells me that you aren't limited to what you can observe for yourself with some of the things you've told me."
<Mykasi> "Correct. And actually, I guess this means I have another question, but it leads into an explanation of your own. Do you remember a place called the Velvet Room, or a man called Igor, involved in the time you got your Persona?" Mike asks.
<Mykasi> "And... actually, you two know this part from here. I'm gonna keep working." With that, Mike scribbles out more on the paper, mainly logic loops involving source and recipient possible errors.
> "That...sounds familiar. Very familiar. I don't recall meeting anyone by that name, but I have this feeling I should know it."
> Raven croaks out, "A dream within a Dream~"
<Hikari> "You'd remember him if you saw him."
<Mykasi> "Describe, Professor, Igor?" Mike mutters.
<Nagare> "Big nosed Quasimodo."
* Nagare then shrugs. "It is about as blunt and accurateas one can be about a description of Igor."
> Dami thinks, "That does sound...Raven, what did you mean there? A dream within a dream? Explain."
<Hikari> "It's actually somewhat accurate. The Velvet Room, where we meet Igor and his charming assistant. It's something like the Dream's waiting room."
> Raven laughs. It's not a particularly pleasant sound, "I meant what I said and I said what I meant. Dreams are dreams, unless they aren't~"
* Nagare scratches his head. "Now this is reminiscent of Igor."
<Hikari> "...You know, Dami, I almost feel as though we should apologize for prompting your persona to speak."
<Mykasi> "......" Mike straightens up and eyes Nagare slowly, before eyeing the bird. "... ..."
> The bird eyes Mike back.
> "No. It's fine. Better this way, at least I can ask him questions now."
<Mykasi> "..." Mike looks back to the paper, before scribbling in Japanese next to SOURCE, "If this is Igor I will punch the universe I am not even fucking kidding around"
> Raven cackles again, "What fun, what fun, asking for answers you already know~"
* Nagare sighs. "At least you can feel a bit better about your social skills with -that- parameter, Dami."
> "Less for lack of skill and more for lack of motivation, professor. But I suppose I have the motivation now."
> Dami continues, moving away from the subject of Raven and his own social skills, "So it's from this Velvet Room that you get your information, I take it?"
* Mykasi is still scribbling on the page but nods an assent, letting Nagare and Hikari fill in the gaps.
<Hikari> "Much of it. Whatever we can prompt Igor's assistant to let slip. There are obviously things they are intent on letting us discover personally instead."
<Nagare> "The fact that there are Dream inhabitants that are even -willing- to let us discover the Dream is a shocker in and out of itself, though. Particularly given the savage nature of the Dreamscapes."
> "I cannot tell you how many times even a reulctant athority to question on matters would have been welcome."
<Mykasi> "..." Mike grimaces, putting the pencil down. "See, that's my issue here. We're operating under two different rulesets - and if I'm not mistaken, you and Hare access the dream differently as well. In fact, you'd have to. So that makes three... which, logically, doesn't make sense, especially since it's the second generation that's seeming to be consistent here."
<Mykasi> "Furthermore, you and Hare have been denied information that could have been extremely useful - leaving us to try and provide it. Something's going on."
> "Agreed. This has been a fairly enlightening conversation, and yet it's raised more questions then it's answered, at least for me." Dami's voice returns to it's default state of detatched without sounding robotic, "So many things to investigate, but what takes priority?"
<Nagare> "If we're talking about answering questions among our own, first, we might want to test the similarities between Dami and Shiro a bit further. The Velvet Room test should be very useful given the circumstances."
<Mykasi> "I don't know for sure. ... no, that's a lie. We need to begin testing the hard limits of what's going on." Mike nods to Nagare. "Good idea. We can try to bring you into the Velvet Room the way we do it, Dami. One test that was brainstormed was to try and use our abilities outside the city limits - actually, have you tried that, Dami?"
> "Outside the city? No, I haven't. Do you think it's limited in scope by the defined boundaries of Kanazawa?"
> "And define the Velvet Room test, please? What does that entail?"
<Mykasi> "A possibility, and one that can be easily tested. The sooner we know the limits of how our powers work and the definitions we're encompassed by, the sooner we can get to work figuring out what's honestly going on and what we can actually do." Mike says, before blinking and trying to scribble a bit more out. "Hikari or Nagare, if you could?"
* Nagare coughs. "Basically, we open a door to the Velvet Room. If you can cross it, you pass the test. If not, at least we know you can't. It's quite simple and blunt."
> "That is quite simple, yes."
<Nagare> "Oddly, some of the most effective ways to test how far the Dream can stretch are amazingly uncomplicated. It's a bit of respite given the bedlam-like nature of it."
<Mykasi> "Another thing that should be done in some form is that we should explore parts of the city's Dream itself. There's a few other leads as well... gah. This is all way too complicated at times." Mike mutters. "Can you think of any rules or tests that should be run, you three? My only other concept involves exploring the Greater Dreamscape - the city's dreamscape - which will be dangerous no matter when we do it."
> "It actually would not take me long to test if the Dream expands beyond the city limits right now. My apartment is less then a mile from the line, and I can travel through the dream quickly. Except...there's one small problem."
> "Judging from the way he's been going through weapon excersizes and warming up, I doubt your freind outside would let me leave without trying to kill me..."
<Hikari> "We may be able to explain things to him. Possibly. This would be easier, of course, if we could secure from you a guarantee to work *with* us in the future, and to not be so casual in using the lives of others for your own research."
<Nagare> "There might be a little attrition at first, of course, but working towards a common goal has been quite good as a structure to this alliance."
* Mykasi is humming something very softly, though Hikari and Nagare are probably too distant to hear it. The raven can probably catch the Satomi Tadashi theme song.
> "It was never my intention to cause harm, nor would I have used these clumsy methods if I had any other options, or maybe just someone else to speak to about them. And there are more important things to focus on then my research now. People removed from existance, a chance to investigate more into the nature of the Dream itself."
> "I still hope to one day finish my research, with better methods and more safeguards. But other things take priority now."
* Mykasi nods softly at this. "Alright, Dami. Then let's work together on this, alright? I... do have one more question for you, though."
<Hikari> "That is what I wanted to hear," Hikari says with a nod.
> "That being?"
<Mykasi> "Uh." Mike seems actually somewhat awkward at this point. "Was the standing outside in the middle of the night purposeful? I mean, I take it that was you, given that you recognize Hare."
> "Ah..." Dami sounds fairly embarrased, "that was not one of my better plans, I'll grant. I had no malign purpose in being there, I promise. I'd prefer to leave it at that for the time being if that's acceptable."
<Mykasi> "Alright. To paraphrase you, you've no reason at all I can fathom to lie about it at this juncture." Mike says calmly. "If it comes up later I may press the issue, but for now, that's fine." A pause. "I think we'll need to come into your actual apartment for a moment in order to go talk to Hare, due to how our ability works. We can run the Velvet Room test at that time, as well, if that's alright?"
> "...very well. Hold on a moment." There's a bit of noise, then the raven on the table flies THROUGH the wall, only to return a moment later with a key in it's beak.
> "That would be the key to my apartment. I have a dreamcatcher on the wall that I can see through when I concentrate. Give me a signal once you've convinced your freind not to attack me, please."
<Mykasi> "Okay." Mike nods. "When we enter the apartment for the second time, I'll give you a thumbs up in confirmation. Regardless, we'll work from there. Thank you, we'll get this done as soon as possible."
<Mykasi> With that, Mike takes the apartment key from the bird, and leaves the note paper behind as he heads to the door they entered by. "Professor, you have the key?"
<Nagare> "Still, yes. Should I hand it to you?"
<Mykasi> "Just use it. We're going to go into the Greater Dreamscape via Dami's front door and flag Hare down."
<Nagare> "Certainly," the teacher nods, looking for the closest door.
> As Nagare uses the key on the door right behind him, it swings open to reveal the portal to the Velvet Room.
> (OOC: Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na SCENE CHANGE!!!!!)
> And the trio step back onto the landing outside Dami's apartment. It's late and cold, the lights near the doors doing nothing to warm the area up in the least.
* Mykasi takes one step away from the door, before, "Oh! Almost forgot." And promptly turns around... and uses the normal key on the door, unlocking it. Presuming he managed to carry it through the Velvet Room.
> The key did indeed come with you. And the door swings open, the hinges squeaking in protest.
<Nagare> "I wonder if Shiro has gotten back, actually. Didn't he go to the Greater Dreamscapes?"
<Mykasi> "Yeah, that's why we're going to step in here and use the Velvet Room key again, I figure." Mike nods. "We need to get him to call it off for now."
> The inside of Dami's apartment is...immaculate. Everything is perfectly clean and orginized, though there isn't much to speak of. A sparse living room with a single armchair, a side table and an alphibatized bookshelf is the first room that you see as the door opens.
* Nagare eyes the room. "This is almost a shrine."
<Mykasi> "Mm." Mike notes, closing the door behind the group.
* Nagare also picks up the key, glancing at Mykasi, then at the door that leads outside once in the main room. "All right. Hopefully we're ready for this."
* Mykasi closes the door. "Yeah, let's get this done, then." With that, he steps aside, letting Nagare use the Velvet Key as he glances to try and find the Dreamcatcher.
> The dreamcatcher is hanging neatly on the wall of the main room.
* Mykasi glances slightly to it, before looking back to the main door.
* Nagare opens the door to the Greater Dreamscape, letting out a heavy sigh. "Nowhere but forward to go. Mykasi, are you coming?"
<Mykasi> "Of course."
> Hikari nods and follows as well.
> (OOC: Listening to music without lyrics, so no inspiration for a witty Scene Change this time.)
> Passing through the Velvet Room again, the trio enters the Greater Dreamscape. And thier eyes immediately hurt. The area they stand in is an exact replica of that space in the normal world...only in negative. This even includes Shiro, who sits astride Red Hare and twirling his spear lazily as he paces around the parking lot.
<Mykasi> "Yow. Hi, Shiro. I see we're undeveloped still."
> Shiro looks up as you step out, "Yo. How'd it go in there?"
* Nagare blinks intermittently as the negative sight of the world fills the eyes. "Better... than we thought, honestly."
> Shiro snorts, "Took him down easy, huh?"
* Mykasi nods slightly to this. "No fight, actually. He's agreed to work together and won't be sending out any further dreamcatchers. Which means that we can focus on whatever's caused this dreamscape nonsense and thrash that instead."
> He frowns, and Red Hare stomps a foot on the pavement, "Ehhhh, he's still a stalker creep. Unless that wasn't him and we've got somebody else to worry about?"
<Mykasi> "...question for you, actually - we'll get to that in a second - but does Red Hare talk? At all? Can he talk?"
> Shiro shakes his head, "Not out loud. He can talk to me, but that's all up here," he taps his temple.
> "Why?"
<Nagare> "Mykasi's concocting a theory for Persona hierarchy and shared behaviors."
<Mykasi> "Okay." Mike notes quietly. "There seems to be a shared constraint on information imposed on all the 'first' Persona users - you and him, at the minimum. Both of your Personas have been notably unwilling to speak - we provoked his into speech, which was part of how we got him to work with us, I think. Well, aside from open dialogue. Funny how that works."
> Shiro frowns again, "His Persona didn't even talk to him?"
<Mykasi> "Regardless... um, can I ask what Red Hare talks to you about, or is that private? Does he give you information about what you're seeing or dealing with outside of how to defeat it?" A shake of his head. "Nope. He's been quite isolated - the appearances and 'stalker' incidents seem to have been him trying to test facets of his abilities, and not something malign on his end. He's had no way of knowing anything thus far except through that."
> "We talk tactics, and he explained how to use all the abilities he has. Not much else though. Definately not any information about stuff." Shiro laughs at that, "I mean, from what I can tell, he IS me in a sense, right? Be pretty damn strange if he knew stuff I didn't, right?"
<Mykasi> "... Hm." Mike says after a long minute.
<Mykasi> "Yeah, it would be, I suppose. Though... well. This is another key aspect, one that us three next to experiment with. But for now, that's something I'll keep in mind."
<Mykasi> "Since we're all working together at this point, at least for now, let's meet in the real world again?"
<Nagare> "It should be for the best. Dami should get to know you're not going to bash his skull against the wall ASAP anyhow."
> Shrugging, Shiro places his spear back in it's clip on Red Hare's saddle and swings off to dismount, "Yeah, alright. He does anything shifty and no promises though. Dude so much as touches a weapon and I'm gonna take him out without waiting for the green light, got it?"
<Nagare> "... I have to wonder if he even -does- have weapons."
<Mykasi> "Don't be too edgy, dude." Mike grins. "The real enemy seems to lie elsewhere." With that he gestures to the door. "Mind using the key again, Professor?"
<Nagare> "As long as I get a tip," the teacher snickers as he opens the door with the Key.
<Mykasi> "Never enter a medicine hut during Lent."
> And with Shiro in tow, they return to the normal world inside Dami's appartmnet.
> -------------------------------------------
All About Monks
<Marisa> after a certain level they basically just attack repeatedly until it dies

VySaika

> --------------------------------------------------------
> With Shiro in tow, Nagare, Mykasi and Hikari return to Dami's living room in the real world. As before, the place is immaculate, prompting Shiro to shake his head in amazement, "Man, this guy is really a bachelor? I think I've seen operating rooms with more mess then this."
<Hikari> "There's nothing wrong witb being tidy."
<Nagare> "That usually isn't a skill learned by college-aged bachelors, you have to admit."
* Mykasi nods slightly, before giving the dreamcatcher a thumbs up and a nod.
> Shiro shrugs, "There's tidy and there's sterilized."
> A moment later, one of the two doors in the hallway opens, and Dami hesitently steps out.
> Shiro pushes his glasses back up as he notices Dami's entry, "You get one warning pal, and this is it. You go for any weapons or do anything I think looks like an attack, and I'll take you down hard. Got it?"
> Dami nods slowly, "Message recieved."
<Hikari> "Shiro, this is the real world, not the dream. I'm not expecting any more trouble at this point. Not to mention that there are four of us and one of him."
<Mykasi> "Hey, Dami." Mike nods gently, one slight glance to Shiro before he just shakes his head. "Anyway, we're at the planning stage for the future, I think. Dami, you have some ideas as to what you're going to explore - boundaries of our powers and your own Persona's potential amongst them, correct?"
> Shiro snorts, "You ever been shot at, Hikari? I have. If the guy's got a gun, four to one is sketchy odds even with me in the four."
<Hikari> "You...have? When did this happen?"
> Dami blanches a bit at Shiro's comment, then turns his attention away from the little violent guy and back towards Mike, "Yes. I have a few ideas, though your test should probably take precedence as you already have some data for that, yes?"
> Shiro shrugs it off, "A few years ago. It's a long story, ask me later and I'll fill you in."
<Mykasi> "A bit." Mike nods, looking to Nagare. "Mind using the key so we can see if Dami can pass into the Velvet Room?"
<Nagare> "Oh, certainly," the teacher nods back, reaching for the closest door.
> The door swings open, revealing the usual portal. Dami takes a step towards it and reaches out a hand...that stops as soon as he touches it. He presses in hard but his hand does not pass through the portal.
> Looking at it oddly, Dami runs his hand up and down the door for a moment, "It's odd. It's there to my eyes but not to my hands. I wonder..."
> As his hand moves around the door, it settles over something...right where the doorknob should be. And he turns it and opens the real door, causing the portal to instantly collapse into nothingness.
> Shiro blinks, "The fuck?"
* Nagare sighs. "Welp, the more you know."
<Nagare> "You definitely have the same limitation as Shiro here. Maybe the ability to access the Dream without help is mutually exclusive to Velvet Room access."
> Dami nods, "That would seem to fit with what we know so far, yes. I'm fairly certain that you three got the better half of that deal."
<Mykasi> "...hm." Mike hums, looking now to Shiro. "Hey, Dami, a question. Do you have any restrictions on how you access the Dream?"
> Dami nods again, "I have to enter through a reflective surface. Any will do, a window, a mirror, a still pool of water. The less reflective, the more of my...uh, magical energy, for lack of a more scientific term," he shrugs, "it consumes."
<Mykasi> "Hm." Mike muses. "Okay. Hikari, Nagare, any plans or ideas you guys want to bring up?"
<Nagare> "Now, we probably should start bringing Dami up to date in this whole thing, for starters. Any finds Dami managed to eke out from his experimentations ought to be shared as well. Right now, I think we need a round table."
* Mykasi nods slightly, glancing to Hikari.
<Hikari> "The open dream is a great unknown at present. If we lack other leads--and with Dami unmasked, we have pursued many to their conclusion--we could explore? It may be possible to detect things at locations relevant to our investigations that might not be apparent in the real world. And we can always use the practice with our persona.
<Hikari> "
> Dami looks around his small apartmnet, "Also I'm sorry to say that this apartment wasn't meant to host large gatherings. I could investigate the things I had in mind, if I can leave the city limits in the Dream for example, and we could talk more in a better place for it?"
> Shiro grins at Hikari's suggestion, "Hey, I've been through at least half the city by now in there. I can show you around the few places that stay fairly constant if you want."
<Mykasi> Another nod. "Alright. Where to, then?" Then, to Hikari: "Sounds good to me, yeah. And that'd help some, yeah, Shiro. I... feh. I've a few things I need to fess up to myself, so round tabling sounds like the best time for that."
> Dami thinks a bit then is forced to offer a shrug, "Ah, I'm not really familiar with venues for group meetings. I don't really spend time anywhere beyond Dreamspeakers, the Tranquility restaraunt and sometimes Toshio's apartment."
> "Well," he adds, "and here and the Dream."
<Nagare> "Places to round up and gather are the easy part. Heck, the four of us just find any fast restaurant we can and begin toiling."
<Hikari> "We have been a great financial boon to the city's restaraunts, yes."
> Dami nods, "Very well."
<Mykasi> "That's... pretty much the case." Mike admits sheepishly. "Shiro, you know anywhere on this side? If not, I -think- there's one a few blocks away called 'Shigushi' that tends to be quiet."
> Shiro shakes his head, "Not my part of town. So that sounds good."
> Dami considers things, "For now, I can simply return to the Dream and head towards the edge of town. It's not far from here, and I move fast there. I can meet you at Shigushi once I find out if I can cross the city limit?"
<Nagare> "Mmmm. You sure you should do that by yourself?"
<Mykasi> "Alright, then let's do that, sure." A shrug to Nagare. "I'd presume Raven would warn him now if it's risky."
> "There is little in the Dream I have encountered thus far that can threaten me." Dami actually smiles, possibly the first any of you have ever seen from him, as he adds, "You'd be surprised how easy it is to avoid attention when you can fly."
* Mykasi nods calmly.
<Mykasi> "Right, then. We'll meet you there." Mike replies, turning to the door.

(OOC: Session keeps going, but Chapter 3 basically ends here~)
All About Monks