There Should Be A Trope For This

Started by Zephyrus, July 12, 2010, 11:45:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zephyrus

20:35   Zeph   It's early evening in Berlin, and a pleasantly cool breeze wafts through the streets, tousling hair and stirring clothes. The three of you are seated at a small table on the outside of Cafe Fritz, where before you sits your envelopes and whatever items you've ordered. (Go to it)
20:37      Robert takes a bracing sip of his hot drink
20:38   Robert   "Gentlemen. I trust we've reviewed our information packets. Anyone have any comments?"
20:38      Karl eyes the contents of his envelope. "Nurgen Wines. A vintage of renown."
20:38   Robert   "Indeed. And you Thaddaeus?"
20:39   Thaddaeus   "These personas seem to give us favourable attention from our host. I would think that placing us this close to the spotlight is endangering us."
20:40   Thaddaeus   "Particularly since Hans Koenig is a man of sharp intellect. We will surely interest him."
20:40   Robert   "Agreed."
20:41   Robert   "Which one of you is going to make the purchase? And do either if you know how we are to handle the funds?"
20:41   Karl   "If he is as sharp-eyed as his reputation says, it will be very tricky to stick to our personas convincingly if he desires to discuss business."
20:42   Robert   "Thankfully my role is one I am familier with."
20:42   Robert   "Although, I must confess, my age does present a problem."
20:42   Thaddaeus   "I imagine Herr Gustav would be the best option."
20:43   Karl   "I imagine he is much more familiar with the Nurgen vintages than I am. Maybe if I play the spoiled heir..."
20:44   Robert   "Do we know each other?"
20:45   Karl   "A wine heir, a politician, and a priest all walk into a party... it sounds like the set-up for a joke."
20:45   Thaddaeus   "Indeed, I believe you could pull off a nonchalant playboy son, who is interested in the money but not the business."
20:46   Thaddaeus   "Father Lamb, I believe you should be our "fallback plan", so to speak. If we were in trouble we will signal you and you could swoop in and divert attention."
20:46   Karl   "That could work. And with a taste for curiousities... perhaps indeed."
20:47   Thaddaeus   "I do think that we will benefit if myself and Karl come as associates to the party, perhaps Hans would try to pry you away from the clutches of a politician like myself, thus diverting his attention from other matters."
20:48   Robert   "Agreed. Although, may the Lord forgive me. I am now Father Faber"
20:49      Robert slides the paper across the table to the others detailing his background"
20:50   Thaddaeus   "Hm, these are impressive backgrounds, for all of us. I have thought about this artifact for quite a bit since our last meeting, and the stranger it sounds to me. Hitler, going out of his way to get some piece of art? The man has no regard for beauty.:
20:51   Karl   "He went to art school in his youth, did he not?"
20:51   Robert   "I don't know. Maybe."
20:52   Thaddaeus   "Regardless, we have agreed to take on this job, and we all want to find out more about what that cretin Bauer was insinuating about. Let us do our best and worry later."
20:54   Zeph   A waiter approaches with the check, an ingratiating smile on his face. "Anything else for you, good sirs?"
20:54   Robert   "No thank you, my son."
20:55      Robert hands over the money required for the three drinks absent a tip.
20:55      Karl adds a tip to the payment with a reproachful look at Robert.
20:55   Robert   "work is its own reward, so sayth the Lord."
20:56   Karl   "The Lord doesn't have bills to pay."
20:57      Robert smiles
20:57   Zeph   The waiter glares at Robert, despite his priestly garb, but smiles at Karl. He sneers slightly at the Father's reply. As he leans down to pick up the plates, you hear him murmur, "A coach for each one of you shall be by to pick you up; one here, and one at either end of the street. Be ready."
20:57      Karl nods slightly in reply.
20:58      Robert shoots Karl and Thaddaeus a sharp look.
20:58      Thaddaeus looks around, studying the cafe. "It seems like the game is afoot."
20:59   Zeph   OOC: Ready to move along?
20:59   Thaddaeus   OOC: Sure.
21:02   Zeph   You each nonchalantly make your way to your designated coaches, which reek of money and influence. A crest of a fox startling two hawks in flight graces the side of each carriage; the crest of House Koening. (more)
21:04   Zeph   You travel, bouncing slightly on the cobbled streets, to a few miles outside of the city limits. A large gothic looking castle looms out of the twilight as you approach from the long, tree-flanked drive. You all arrive within minutes of one another, and you're in a small line waiting for someone to take your invitations.
21:06      Robert mutters a string of Latin under his breath.
21:07   Karl   "A little ostentatious, but ideal for a fancy party."
21:08   Zeph   A short man in livery of red and white appears from a small door set in the grand entrance of the castle. "Invitations, if it would please you, sirs?"
21:09      *** Hatbot joined #darkness
21:09      Robert hands the man his invitation. "Lovely night for a party, isn't it?"
21:09      Thaddaeus hands over his invitation. "All in order I hope." Thaddaeus chuckles heartily.
21:09      Karl silently hands over his invitation with a regal nod.
21:11      Zeph shuffles through them quickly, nodding. He gestures. "Follow me, gentlemen. I shall announce you according to your rank. Father Faber, Lord Eichelberger, and then Master Nurgen."
21:12      Karl wrinkles his nose in distaste at that order.
21:12   Robert   "Thank you sir."
21:13   Zeph   He inclines his head, and the grand doors behind him begin to open behind him, letting warm, golden light spill from the widening crack. He turns, obviously expecting you to follow.
21:14   Thaddaeus   "Splendid mansion, befitting a man of Lord Koening's stature. I am eager to meet him."
21:15      Karl follows the man, running an eye over the inside of the castle.
21:15      Robert follows as well, a contented expression on his face.
21:17   Zeph   He leads you into a long hallway lined with torches. He is silent and never turns his head to address you. The hallway ends in front of a door. He looks over his shoulder. "When you hear me announce you, please step through. Since you are somewhat late, we will pass over the individual announcements."
21:17   Zeph   He leaves you, slipping through the door himself.
21:18   Thaddaeus   "Somewhat late? Our benefactors are being sloppy." Thaddaeus mutters, an irate look crossing his face.
21:19   Robert   "There is such thing as fashionably late."
21:19   Karl   Better to be late and have everyone witness your arrival.
21:19      Robert grins
21:19   Robert   "It's showtime, gentlemen"
21:21   Zeph   "My Lords and Ladies! I present to you Father Heinrich Faber of Rome, late of the Vatican, Lord Adolf Eichelberger, head of the Illustrious House of Eichelberger, and Master Andre Nurgen of the Nurgen Wine Empire." A hollow boom rattles your bones, and the doors open, admitting you inside! (More)
21:22   Zeph   A sea of men and women eye you as you enter the ballroom dressed in every outlandish and lavish combination of clothing imaginable. You're quite glad that your benefactors assisted you clothingwise. Some study you with interest, some with disdain, and others ignore you entirely. Where shall you go?
21:23      Karl smiles winningly at the massed guests, and wades into the crowds to mingle and sift through gossip.
21:23   Thaddaeus   OOC: Notice check on side doors, anyone giving us extra interest? Or anything out of the ordinary?
21:24      Robert strides into the room calmy, glancing about the assembled people.
21:24   Zeph   OOC: You may all roll notice, if you wish.
21:24   Robert   roll d100
21:24      Hatbot --> "Robert rolls d100 and gets 61." [d100=61]
21:24      Thaddaeus acknowledges the crowd, waving as he walks in to the bar.
21:25   Karl   roll d100
21:25      Hatbot --> "Karl rolls d100 and gets 37." [d100=37]
21:25   Thaddaeus   roll d100
21:25      Hatbot --> "Thaddaeus rolls d100 and gets 69." [d100=69]
21:25      Robert doesn't notice shit.
21:25   Thaddaeus   OOC: Just the once? We aren't in a life threatning situation.
21:28      Robert smiles and nods at various people that he makes eye contact with as he navigates the room
21:30   Zeph   OOC: One second, folks.
21:30   Zeph   OOC: Making rooms for individual scenes.
21:39      Robert makes his way over to the bar to get a drink of mineral water.

~

Zeph   You make your way into the crowd, hoping to mingle. Some sniff at the sight of your Christian regalia, others sneer, and some pretend to not even see you. Only a middle aged man seems to stare at you impassively, neither damning nor accepting.
21:38      Robert makes his way over to the bar to get a drink of mineral water.
21:40      *** Thaddaeus joined #armyofdarkness
21:41   Zeph   The man snorts as you walk past him and arrive at the small bar. The server hands you a small mineral water silently.
21:41   Robert   "Thank you." Robert nods before heading back to the middle-aged man.
21:42   Robert   "Good evening sir. Lovely castle, wouldn't you agree?"
21:44   Zeph   He merely grunts in answer. "Now that is the most blunt ice breaker I've ever had the misfortune to hear...Father."
21:46   Robert   "I do try." Robert says with a smile " Heinrich Faber at your service."
21:48   Zeph   The man eyes you up and down for a slow moment. "I'm Gunther Aberlich, head of the Corpse Painter Guild."
21:51   Robert   "Pleasure to make your aquaintence Mr. Alberlich. What brings you to this lovely party?"
21:52   Zeph   A small gleam seems to enter his eyes as you pose your question. "I don't much care for Koening's politics, but he does have some choice items up for bid this evening. And you? Why are you here?"
21:54   Robert   "I am here on behalf of the Holy See, but I must confess, I had my eye on an item for the Church's collection."
21:56   Zeph   Gunther takes a small sip from a glass of dark red wine he had been holding. "Which particular item is that, Father Faber?" He asks in a casual voice.
22:04   Robert   "It's a peice of gothic art. What about yourself?"
22:06   Zeph   He smiles and replies in a bland tone, "I'm also interested in a piece of art. What a coincidence."
22:09      Robert looks both ways and leans "It's a statue. I wouldn't want to let others on that I'm interested in something of that sort, but I've been told to keep an eye out for peices for the Vatican's collection. Besides, I feel that you are a trustworthy sort." he says softly.
22:14   Zeph   Gunther swirls his glass around idly, eying you in a cool manner. "You give out trust very easily, priest. I wasn't aware that those of my ilk were trusted in the circles that you run in."
22:14   Robert   "Call it inspiration"
22:21   Zeph   "Inspiration." He murmurs. "That is a very interesting thing to call it. Do all men of the cloth think so, priest?"
22:24   Robert   "Some of us more so than others. Those whose calling is to God are a varied bunch."
22:27   Zeph   He nods thoughtfully. "Since you say that you were inspired, let me also say something inspired. You will not walk away from this gathering alive with that...statuette you say you wish."
22:28   Zeph   He takes another sip of the dark red wine.
22:28   Robert   "Oh? Why's that? I assume you are not the type to threaten one lightly, let alone a man of God."
22:34   Zeph   He only grins, and faint traces of the wine are left on his lips. A coppery scents wafts to your nose.
22:36   Zeph   "MY LORDS AND LADIES! IF I MAY HAVE YOUR ATTENTION, PLEASE!" A voice booms from the head of the ballroom, on stage where a tall man stands, hands upraised. (more)
22:44   Robert   "The fun begins" Robert says before casually walking off in the general direction of his companions.
22:46   Zeph   You catch Gunther lick his lips before turning back to his glass before he's out of sight.
22:46   Zeph   OOC: which companion are you headed to, Robert?
22:47   Robert   OOC: Thaddaeus

~

Zeph   You push into the crowd, strolling through. Several men seem to be making their way to your side through the crowd.
21:37      Thaddaeus walks around, returning nods and greetings. Thaddaeus makes a point of greeting the pretty ladies first.
21:43   Zeph   Some smile and nod at you. One lady stops to pluck at your sleeve in a slight invitation for conversation. The other men seem to slow as they near you, not quite coming into arm's reach. You get the feeling that they're simply keeping an eye on you.
21:44      Thaddaeus smiles politely. "What a lovely evening, wouldn't you say? And the Koening ancestral home... I have heard of it, but the tales do it no justice."
21:49   Zeph   "Very lovely." She agrees. "Koening is very fond of his parties, but I believe that this is his most ostentatious one yet. I hear that he's hired on some...interesting entertainment for after the auction."
21:53   Thaddaeus   "What kind of entertainment would that be?" Thaddaeus asks with the raise of an eyebrow. "Where are my manners, I did not introduce myself. I am Adolf Eichelberger, Undersecretary to the Mayor of Berlin, at your disposal."
21:59      Zeph inclines her head. "It is a pleasure, Lord Eichelberger. I am glad to meet a fellow public servant." She smiles brightly.
22:01   Thaddaeus   "Indeed?" Thaddaeus looks curious at that statement. "I did not catch your name, Miss...?"
22:03   Zeph   "Ah, how rude of me! I am Claramonde." She makes an elegant curtsy. "So few practice common courtesy, my Lord. It is a pleasure and a small shock to meet someone who does."
22:05   Thaddaeus   "Really? I confess, I am not much of a socialite despite my occupation, but I would think the folk attending parties of a man like Lord Koening would partake in the very minimum of civility. You said you were a public servant?"
22:07   Zeph   She waves her hand in a vague gesture. "Of a sort. Not quite up to your stature, I'm sure. Tell me! What does the Mayor have to say about all this nasty Nazi business?" She titters slightly.
22:11   Thaddaeus   "The Mayor is a cautious man. He does not share the beliefs of the Nazi party, but he is still a politician with ambitions. I believe if they came in to power, He would not outright oppose them, but if left in office he would be a tough nut to crack. The Mayor cares very much for the citizens of Berlin, regardless of their ancestry."
22:12   Thaddaeus   "So tell me Claramonde, are you here for the auction? The company?"
22:16   Zeph   "Your mayor is a wise man, my Lord. The oak tree cracks under the strain of the fierce storm, but the willow bends and survives." She gives you a dreamy stare, not quite focusing on you. She blinks for a moment, then her focus resumes. "I am here because I'm here, my Lord."
22:22      Thaddaeus chuckles at Claramonde's words. "I will drink to that imagery." Thaddaeus motions a wandering waiter over, plucking wine for himself and his company. "Cheers! May we all be willow!" Thaddaeus drinks a quarter of his wine. "Claramonde, do you know anything about the auction? I am quite intrigued, Lord Koening is said to have one of the most prestigious collections of well, all manner of items, in all of Germany."
22:24   Zeph   "Some go so far as to say all of Europe, my Lord. And I find myself in agreement." She absently holds the wine out and one of the men who you saw coming toward you in the crowd slipped through, took the wine, and weaved back among the crowd. "Koening is no fool. He is quite aware that there are only one or two items that everyone here truly desires."
22:26   Thaddaeus   "Is that so? What seperates these items from the rest of his collection, which I am sure is extraordinary itself?"
22:29   Zeph   She gives Thaddaeus a knowing glance. "You would not be here if you didn't know....my /Lord/." It seems to you that she places a slight emphasis on your title.
22:32   Thaddaeus   OOC: First Bauer, now this bitch...
22:33   Thaddaeus   "Ah... I admit I come here in the interest of a particular item, but I have not heard much about it besides rumors that piqued my interest." Thaddaeus glances around the room, lowering his voice. "Perhaps you can enlighten me?"
22:36   Zeph   "MY LORDS AND LADIES! IF I MAY HAVE YOUR ATTENTION, PLEASE!" A voice booms from the head of the ballroom, on stage where a tall man stands, hands upraised. (more)
22:45   Zeph   "The item that you are here for, and undoubtedly most here in this room are here for, is not unknown to me. It is very old and as much a part of Germany as the earth itself."
22:47   Thaddaeus   "You are not interested in this particular item? It sounds very mystic, something a lady of your mystique would appreciate." Thaddaeus grins slyly, "I never did catch your family name."
22:50   Zeph   "It belongs to me." She responds simply. "One way or another, it will come into my possession without my having to empty my purse for it."
22:55   Thaddaeus   "What sort of public service do you do, fair lady?"
22:55      *** Robert joined #fieldofdarkness
22:57   Zeph   She glances over your shoulder, and a slight look of distaste flits over her delicate features. "Someone I'm...not interested in talking to is coming. Fare you well, my /Lord/. Next time, I suggest you find better masters to work for."
22:57   Zeph   (more)
22:59   Zeph   She seems to glide across the marble floor and melt into the crowd, the three men following her into the crowd. Father "Faber" ambles up behind "Master Nurgen".
22:59      Robert keeps walking without looking at Thaddaeus, continuing past to another spot but within hearing range.
23:01      Thaddaeus ambles nearer to the stage, resigned to have gained little knowledge and much headache from his conversation with Claramonde.

~

Zeph   The woman is murmuring quietly to another woman in a pale blue dress with a dove mask as you approach. She doesn't seem to notice you arrive.
21:37      Karl essays a small bow, using the motion to run his eyes up and down them. "Greetings, my ladies."
21:39   Zeph   The lady in blue brings a fluttering fan up to hide her expression as she eyes you warily. The lady in red nods slightly in greeting. "Good evening, master merchant." She smirks slightly. "What can we do for you this evening?"
21:40      *** Thaddaeus joined #seaofdarkness
21:41   Karl   "The possible answers to that question are many and varied, my ladies, but put simply, I set out to find friendly faces in this sea of strangers and I simply could not look past two examples of loveliness such as you."
21:46   Zeph   The woman in blue lets out a snort of disbelieving laughter though she quickly quashes it and flutters her fan. The woman in red replies in a dry tone, "I do believe that is the most...flowery greeting we've heard all night. Isn't that so, Adeline?" The woman in blue nods.
21:52   Karl   "Then those present tonight have not been giving you your due, my ladies. I am Andre Nurgen, of Nurgen Wines; would you do me the honour of knowing your names?"
21:54   Zeph   "I am Gabrielle LaFontaine and this is my sister Lucia LaFontaine. Our father is good friends with Lord Koening. He dearly wished us to make this gathering since we were too mired down at home in Paris."
22:04   Karl   "A family of renown. He is right, I believe; 'tis good for the soul to visit new and distant places. Tell me; are you familiar with the items for sale this night?"
22:09   Zeph   Lucia snapped her fan open and shut once in one rapid motion. Gabrielle glanced over at her before replying. "We are somewhat familiar with the items on the charity auction list. Why do you ask?"
22:13   Karl   "T'was my reason for seeking friendly faces among the crowd, and indeed for being here this night. I am attempting to assemble a cabinet of curiousities, in the manner of gentlemen of centuries gone by. I have heard of some fascinating items being sold tonight, and hoped I could trouble you for information on some of them."
22:19   Zeph   Lucia's fan resumes fluttering and Gabriella speaks. "Perhaps we can be of assistance. What are you interested in, Master Nurgen?"
22:22   Karl   "One item of particular interest that I have heard of is a statuette of a fertility goddess of the Gothic tribes, made shortly before the Germanic Wars."
22:33   Zeph   Gabriella's eyes widen slightly and Lucia's fan is dead still. Gabriella wets her lips in what could be considered a coy manner. "That is a rare item. Still, not quite so rare as all that. I would have thought that a man such as you would be interested in something more...esoteric."
22:37      Karl reluctantly turns his attention from the sisters to the stage.
22:45      Karl turns back to the sisters. "Esotericity is all well and good, my dear ladies, but age and the reverence paid to a now-extinct religion has a significance all of it's own. Still, judging by the number of interested parties, I do expect some other collector with deeper pockets than mine shall beat me to it."
22:49   Zeph   Gabriella smiles prettily and Lucia even lowers her fan to grace you with a smile as well. "Perhaps it is well to concede defeat, Master Nurgen." Gabriella replies. "The pockets of a merchant are not nearly as deep as one would think."
22:52      Karl returns their smiles with one of his own. "To fight with honour is the mark of nobility; to lose with honour is the mark of a Gentleman. Even if I do not succeed in gaining the statuette for my collection, no evening that features two ladies as lovely as you is at all wasted."
22:56   Zeph   Both women laugh brightly. "Perhaps flowery words are not so bad as all that, are they, Lucia?" The other girls shakes her head, still smiling. "I'm afraid we must bid you farewell, Master Nurgen. We must go and meet our father. After the auction, I know he'd *love* to talk to you about the famous Nurgen vineyards."
22:59   Karl   "I look forward to it. Au revoir, dear ladies."
22:59   Zeph   They both curtsy and walk into the shifting crowd.
23:00   Zeph   OOC: Move back to #darkness. Will resume there when #field is resolved

~

"MY LORDS AND LADIES! IF I MAY HAVE YOUR ATTENTION, PLEASE!" A voice booms from the head of the ballroom, on stage where a tall man stands, hands upraised. (more)
22:37      Thaddaeus peers towards the man, mentally preparin himself for the beginning of the action.
22:40   Zeph   The man bows deeply, before straightening. His hair is black, touched at the temples with gray, which frames a handsome face. "I hope you are all enjoying the party!" Applause rises to meet his words. "Very shortly, the auction will be begin. All proceeds will go to various charities as well as funding the political campaign against the Nazi party." (more)
22:41   Zeph   "Remember, all purchases are final. Be very sure of what you wish to buy, ladies and gentlemen. Payment must be secured at the end of the auction. Afterwards, you may eat, drink, and be merry for so long as the night remains."
23:05   Zeph   The crowd moves bit by bit to the front of the ballroom, trying to get decent spots nearest the stage. By some good fortune, all three of you secure spots together a mere 10 or so feet from the stage. (more)
23:08   Zeph   A podium is brought, and Lord Koenig steps forth. "There will be 10 pieces to begin with. Then after those are done with, the final 10 pieces of the collection will be brought out for auction. Alas, those of you who spread the rumor that I was auctioning my *entire* auction was sadly mistaken." He chuckles. "Without further ado..." (more)
23:12   Zeph   He waves a hand, and a servant wheels out an item on a pedestal. It is a shiny black orb, perhaps the size of a man's fist. "I give you the Eye of Ozymandias, adviser to the heathen kings and chiefs of old. Before he was ritually disemboweled to end a drought, it is said that he plucked out his right eye so that the kings may always have his...--
23:13   Zeph   --view on things." He chuckles at his own joke. "I ask a starting bid of 2,000 marks. Do I have it?"
23:15      *** Aziraphale joined #darkness
23:15   Zeph   A large portly man in the back raises his hand once. "Well done, Lord Tangmeier! Do I hear 3,000?"
23:15      *** Thaddaeus quit (Ping timeout)
23:16      *** Aziraphale is now known as Thaddaeus
23:17   Zeph   And so it continued. Time passed, and the first ten items went by quickly. Before you know it, the final two items are up for bid.
23:25   Zeph   "And here we have the next to last item up for bid." An exquisitely carved rose in what seems to be pink marble is wheeled out. "No one knows the precise origins of this rose. Not even I have gleaned all from it. My late wife loved roses more than I, and she loved this more than any in my collection. Sometimes, I cannot bear the sight of it." He pauses. (more
23:25   Zeph   "I will open the bidding at 9,000 marks. Who will answer?"
23:29      Robert raises his hand
23:34      Zeph nods slightly in Rober's direction. "The good Father Faber, 9,000. Do I hear 10,000?" Two young ladies, dressed in red and blur gowns respectively, signaled. The lady in blue raised a fan instead of a hand. "The ladies LaFontaine. 11,000?"
23:35      Robert raises his hand again
23:37   Zeph   Lord Koenig smiles, ever so slightly. "Even the Church can appreciate a thing of beauty. Do I hear 12,000? Will the priest claim this lovely prize?" The lady in blue waves her fan in an agitated manner. Both women look severely irritated. "Very well, I have 12. Priest, will you rise to meet them at 13?" Murmurs begin to break out at the rising price.
23:38      *** Aziraphale joined #darkness
23:38      Robert raises his hand again and nods
23:40      *** Thaddaeus quit (Ping timeout)
23:40      *** Aziraphale is now known as Thaddaeus
23:40   Zeph   "Hah!" He roared. "Brilliant! Come now, my ladies! Do not let this man of the cloth defeat you!" The ladies are whispering in agitation with a man who shares similar looks to them. He's shaking his head in the negative. They whisper for a few moments more before they huff into silence.(more)
23:43   Zeph   "Well done, priest. Have your payment ready at the end of the auction." He gestures, and the rose is wheeled out, only to be replaced by a small, brown statuette of a naked, squat woman. "I've saved the pride of my collection for last."
23:43      Robert nods at the auctioneer
23:44   Zeph   "This...is the cultural inheritance of Germany. The pride of our people. And for that only, I will open the bidding at 20,000 marks. Do I have it?"
23:45   Zeph   A number of people immediately raise their hands.
23:45   Thaddaeus   "The Mayor would gladly display such powerful heritage." Thaddause proclaims while raising his hand. "Overbidding the highest bid by 2,000 marks."
23:46   Robert   "Father Church is interested in this piece, it is an important part of Church history. I will outbid the Mayor by 5000 marks."
23:47      Karl frowns at Thaddaeus and Robert, sighs, and leaves his hands in his lap.
23:48   Zeph   Shouts and jeers threaten to overwhelm the two men as they speak. Lord Koenig feigns astonishment. "Gentlemen, gentlemen. How can you outbid the highest bid when I have but opened the bidding? Some would take this chance to drive the price up out of spite...but we are all ladies and gentlemen here, are we not?" Koenig addresses the crowd.
23:49   Robert   "Very well. 25,000 marks."
23:51   Thaddaeus   "The Mayor will not appreciate this falling into someones hands that are not his." Thaddaeus smiles sarcastically. "30,000 marks."
23:52   Robert   "I'm sure the mayor will survive. 35."
23:52   Zeph   A man in dark clothing and clutching an empty wine glass in a trembling hand, pale and snarling from the side of the crowd, "500,000 marks! Do not try to match the depths of *my* pockets, priest."
23:52      *** Aziraphale joined #darkness
23:54   Robert   "This is a Holy relic. It belongs in the hands of the Church. 550,000 marks!"
23:54      *** Thaddaeus quit (Ping timeout)
23:54      *** Aziraphale is now known as Thaddaeus
23:55   Zeph   A sound of tinkling glass reaches your ears as he throws the glass down on the stone floor. "You cannot *POSSIBLY* cover that amount, you fool!"
23:56   Robert   "The Church has deep pockets for things that have been touched by the Divine." Robert answers calmly.
23:56      Thaddaeus stands up to his full height, looking haughty and imposing. "Perhaps he cannot, but the city of Berlin can and will. 600,000 marks."
23:58   Zeph   Koenig smiles grimly and the crowd is up to a dull roar of conversation and whispering. "Well, perhaps Germany can retain her pride. Will anyone meet this lordling in battle?" He scans the crowd, lingering on some and moving on to others.
23:59   Zeph   "Going once."
23:59   Zeph   "Going twice."
00:00      Robert raises his hand
00:00   Robert   "610,000 marks"
00:00   Thaddaeus   "650,000 marks, and be done."
00:01   Robert   "Very well. But perhaps the city would be open to loaning the item to the Church for display in Berlin?"
00:02   Zeph   An inarticulate shriek of rage emanates from the man in pale black clothing. You can hear him cursing in the background as Koenig motions sharply to the servant, obviously irritated at being interrupted by the priest. "It is done, as you say. We've raised more money than I had ever dreamed. Thank you, everyone."
00:03   Thaddaeus   "We shall speak later of this, Father." Thaddaeus grins victoriously, "Let us finish the bid, Lord Koening?"
00:03      Robert walks over to Thaddaeus
00:03   Robert   "God be with you, sir." Robert says extending his hand
00:05   Thaddaeus   "It is humbling to know the great Church of the Vatican is so interested in this German heritage item," Thaddaeus proclaims while grasping Robert's hand, "Yet I could not let this unique item pass from German hands to foreign ones. This belongs in the city hall of Berlin."
00:07   Robert   "Perhaps I can arrange a meeting with the mayor. I'm sure the Nikolaikirche would be willing to host such an item"
--------------