News:

Populated by the admins and moderators of your other favorite sites!

Main Menu

Act I: Mercurian Underground

Started by Halbarad, June 22, 2004, 08:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carthrat

"Warming up quickly," says Arkian, sounding relieved. "I think she'll be fine. Just needs some rest, some nutrients, and probably some time."
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up

Ebiris

"Good," Rowan nods, relieved. "If things are under control, then I think we ought to fly up to the surface and report this back."

Carthrat

"Yeah," replies Arkian. "I'll see to that. Oh, where did you put Michael?"

Ebiris

"He's in his cabin. Just a bump on his head as far as I can tell - should be up and about soon enough," Rowan replies.

Carthrat

"Right," replies Arkian, turning to walk back to the cockpit. "Look after her."

<->

"Yo, Chris! We're taking off!" shouts Arkian, as he settles himself back in the pilot's chair and starts to flip switches..

Halbarad

"Right on!" Chris replies, settling into the copilot's chair with computer in hand. "One sec, I'll get the doors open for you." He rests his hands on the keyboard of his portable computer, but doesn't type - but the doors open about half a minute later anyway. "Ready to go," the hacker says somewhat distantly.
I am a terrible person.
Excellent Youkai.

Carthrat

"That freaks me out every time," comments Arkian, as he starts lifting the ship back to the Mercurian surface...

Halbarad

"Heh," is Chris' only reply, still deep in the Mercurian computer system. It takes about five minutes to navigate the tunnel; it's a rather touchy business, as moving the ship on its maneuvering thrusters takes some concentration. Nevertheless, the exit from the colony goes without incident, the surface doors closing a couple of minutes after you leave the access tunnel.
I am a terrible person.
Excellent Youkai.

Carthrat

Arkian pulls the ship a short distance away from the surface tunnel, and carefully lowers it back to the Mercurian ground.

"Well, that's that," he says, leaning back in his chair. "Now to send back a message.."

<->

"Lunar Command, this is Arkian, of the Silver Star. We've just finished perliminary explorations of one of the Mercurian settlements.

There's plenty we have to tell you, but the most important is all I shall cover in this transmission. While exploring through a research facility, we happened across.. ahem.. some kind of stasis tank or live-preserving tank. Most of the power in the facility was dedicated to keeping it active, by my guess, and with good reason.

Within the tank we discovered a survivor of the Silver Millenium!

We managed to disengage the tank and retrieve her, and she is now safely aboard our ship. She appears to be healthy, but she suffered exposure to extreme cold during the transport to the ship, and we cannot tell what other effects ten thousand years in a  tank may have had on her.

We know she is the daughter of a research scientist on Mercury, but that is all. At present, she is recovering in a cabin. We're trying to care for her as best we can, but in the absence of a doctor, if anything should develop, we are ill-equipped to deal with it.

Please advise; we've only just scratched the surface of Mercury, and it would be a shame to halt our investigations now, but likewise I do not believe we should be holding the girl for too long. That being said, she may be able to aid in our investigations.. though to ask her to do that so soon after her awakening seems somewhat callous.

Arkian out."

Halbarad

The reply, when it finally comes, is brief.

"If you have a survivor, please return to Luna immediately. Most important that we get her medical attention and care; you can return to the planet for further studies after she is safe.
-Mizuno Ami"
I am a terrible person.
Excellent Youkai.

Carthrat

Arkian rubs the back of his head.

"Well, that was pretty clear, I guess," he says, flipping on the ships intercom.

<->

"Attention? Rowan? I've just got the message back from Lunar Command; seems they want us to come home immediately. Would you make sure Julianne and Michael are set for takeoff?"

Ebiris

"We're all set back here," Rowan replies back on the intercom.

Carthrat

Arkian flicks a few switches, and the Silver Star starts to pull into the Mercurian air..

"Short and sweet, that was," he comments to Chris. "I'd love to stay longer.

There's so much to learn down there.."

Halbarad

"No kidding..." Chris replies. "I'd still like to know how they built that computer - still going after how many thousand years? I mean, God - that's just insane!"

With a rumble from the drive, the ship begins to lift off the planet's surface, giving you a broader view of the Mercurian plains. While the entire surface is of course pockmarked with craters, you DO notice a very large crater, perhaps a couple of miles from the entrance to the underground colony. While memorizing the pattern of craters up here would be rather pointless, you don't recall having seen that one on your way in.
I am a terrible person.
Excellent Youkai.

Carthrat

"Woah," comments Arkian, eyeing the crater.

"While my suspicion is that the tremor we felt earlier was caused by our presently comatose colleague, that's still a pretty big dent.

Hmm. I guess we'll find out when he wakes up."