Thunderbird as IRC client?

Started by tabyk, December 19, 2016, 11:51:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tabyk

Morning all,

The new PC that I purchased last month has finally arrived (my first true gaming rig in nigh 20 years), and I'm having a grand 'ol time setting everything up on it from scratch.  Anyway, was planning on using Thunderbird as my eMail client when I noticed that it had IRC chat functionality.  Has anyone used this?  Pros and Cons?
"ZenCrafters!  Total enlightenment... in about an hour."

tabyk

Hmm... now that I'm home I figured I would simply try and set it up to see what it looks like, and (of course) I can't get it to connect.

Have tried both "irc.svartalfheim.net" and "cleannorth.org".  SSL is turned off.  The client appears to be trying to use port 6697.  Anything else that is obvious that I should look for?

Feeling like a total noob again.  >_<

Merc

I've not connected through svartalfheim in ages, so I can't recall any tricks to it. Never even used cleannorth at all either.

I usually find connection going to irc.lunarnet.org with port 4444
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

tabyk

And that would have been the problem.  Well then.  Excuse me while I go stand in the corner for a bit with the Dunce cap.

Yuthirin

What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Dracos

Nothing shouldn't work with svartalfheim.  I still use that regularly with 6667.  Or so I think.  MIght have forgotten the settings.
Well, Goodbye.