News:

Because we're grown ups now, and its our turn to decide what that means.

Main Menu

Ranma: The Visual Novel

Started by Anastasia, September 16, 2011, 08:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KLSymph

I'll contribute if you'll have me. Contribute at what is the question, since I'm a really slow writer. Want me to write up the design document and other managerial stuff other people don't want to do? I'm also good at devil's advocacy, quality checking, and other forms of pedantic nitpickery.

Brian

Okay, cool.  I'll add people to the post on page one as they confirm.

I suspect we will end up needing a forum for this; that'll let us open the gates on pooling ideas for content.  Ideally, we'll have enough people who want to write to volunteer to cover the individual paths.  If not, we'll just worry about them one at a time, base path first. :)
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Merc

I'd probably be interested in writing a bit maybe. I'd want to see the project a bit more fleshed out, and what the base path will end up being.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Brian

Well, us too.  I'll bug Drac for a subforum and we can start drawing up more conclusive plans later tonight.

I guess it's not a game, just go 'moderation off'?  Use general board rules?  Should be fine, since Dune and I are both mods already.

~exploding tag~

Brian

Hahaha, scared everyone else away, awesome....  Alright.  Moving on this.

~exploding tag~

Merc

What scaring away is this? I think people were just waiting on a new board. =p
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Dracos

I demand the payment of seven souls.  Deliver this to me  within the eve, and a new forum will be borne from their suffering.
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

We have a forum. Step 1, complete.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Brian

Which souls were those, anyway?

~exploding tag~

Jon

I just had them lying around in the drawer. Pretty sure they were past the "sell by" date.

Brian

IRC Meeting:  We, uh ... should schedule one of those?  We do have a channel.

So, okay.  Jon, Ko, and I lurk in that channel 24/7.  Let's actually organize a chat/two this weekend.  All times listed are PST, which is GMT -8:  Friday @ 7:00 PM and Saturday @ 8:00 PM.  If you can't make those times, the forums are always open.

Until then, I'll generally be available in channel any time I'm not commuting or in a meeting.

~exploding tag~

Anastasia

I should be around for both of those.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Dracos

Laggy is no more.

Also, you probably shouldn't use secret channel for that, just saying.
Well, Goodbye.

KLSymph

QuoteOkay; any other questions (or suggestions/input on these questions, since I couldn't answer them all myself) appreciated!

I will go think up some more. In the meantime, here's one thing we can work on:

QuoteOur audience for the moment is just ourselves; by and large this is more a technical exercise than anything else.

If the team will be the audience for this iteration of the project, then I propose all team members give a small summary of his or her preferences in Ranma fanfiction so that we know each other's dislikes and we can look for common interests to target. These summaries should not be taken as "what I want this project to do or don't do", but only a description of broad interests. Edited to add: Readers who are not team members can also say what they like, naturally, but for the purpose of this exercise, we should stay focused on team members.

I enjoy Ranma fanfiction these days mostly as a base context and a familiar male protagonist for crossover stories. I like well-written dramatic and WAFF stories most of all, and clever humor when I can get it, but I want action in my stories and I don't like reading very thinky-philosophical fanfiction. I have no bias against any particular girl being matched up with Ranma as long as it makes sense, though again I read crossover matchups more these days and before that I enjoyed "Ranko" matchups for tending to have more variation. I enjoy harem setups for comedic/dramatic potential and, of course, for the usual fanservice. I despise character bashing, and more generally any sort of author soapbox message blatant enough to disrupt my immersion in the story. I'm okay with gender-bending as the occasional plot point, but I'm usually not interested in plots or humor centered on gender-bending.

Carthrat

I know we've got the forum, but while we're doing this it may be good to set up a repository of some sort where we can stash drafts, files, etc. Dropbox is probably the best bet?

<->

With regard to fics, I feel the best are ones that are almost readable without any knowledge of the canon at all- although those who do know canon tend to get more out of it, naturally. I really like stories that introduce new themes or settings and marry them well with the original concept, and I tend to like it when fics have a bit of an edge to them- though not so much that it transforms the setting into something totally bleak.

My possibly favourite fic ever is Ministry of Confusion, which, as I recall (it's been a while!) did a remarkably good job of taking Ranma and blending it with a cyberpunkish dystopia- and it captured the feel of both genres very well. I'm actually really sold on the idea of having divergent plot paths, each of which leads into a totally different genre and 'type' of story.

QuoteI despise character bashing, and more generally any sort of author soapbox message blatant enough to disrupt my immersion in the story. I'm okay with gender-bending as the occasional plot point, but I'm usually not interested in plots or humor centered on gender-bending.

I also agree with basically all of this; gender-bending is colour, and it can certainly be dramatic, but I'd really hope it's not the focus of any fic I read in general.

I'm not a massive fan of long diatribes on how special techniques or magical physics work in general; it can be necessary, of course, to demonstrate a new move and have some buildup there, but I'd rather focus on the characters and what the training says about them than let the actual move take over. (see: bakusai tenketsu for the way to do it best, imo.)

Harems and fanservice are almost totally lost on me in fanfics unless they also advance the plot (somehow) without actually being the plot themselves.
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up