News:

Populated by the admins and moderators of your other favorite sites!

Main Menu

Ranma: The Visual Novel

Started by Anastasia, September 16, 2011, 08:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muphrid

I'm still interested in this.  I know people were talking about preferences earlier.  For my part, I'm not opposed to crossovers, but I don't have the widest knowledge of all anime or anything like that, so a lot of crossovers are just outside my range of interest.  While my interest in reading and writing is often concerned with psychological issues and dysfunction, something on the lighter side of things would seem more appropriate here (depending on the association of genres to branches that was being talked about before), and I'm perfectly all right with that.

Brian

Okay.  I will make some new threads when I get home so we can track the different parts of this project a bit more easily. :)
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Merc

Quote from: Brian
IRC Meeting:  #nerima @irc.lunarnet.org

All times listed are PST, which is GMT -8:  Friday @ 7:00 PM and Saturday @ 8:00 PM. 

If you can't make those times, the forums are always open.

Just figured I'd post the reminder.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Merc

Logs:
Spoiler: ShowHide

[20:57] <DrunkenBri> Before the meeting, I wanted to discuss something.  I think you should take the management position, and I should take the project lead position.
[20:57] <Koaway> Hold that thought just a moment, I got back in like 2 seconds ago.
[20:57] <DrunkenBri> We'll have to arrange a TOI; I'll have a formal ask on your desk about this action item tomorrow.
[20:57] <jon> I'm going to be CFO.
[20:58] <Merc> Can I take Creative Consultant position? =p
[20:58] <DrunkenBri> Jon: That's gonna be an easy job.
[20:58] <DrunkenBri> Yes.
[20:59] <Koaway> I'm fine with that, with the proviso that I want to know precisely the differences you have in mind first.
[20:59] <DrunkenBri> The manager oversees the group, the lead oversees the project.
[21:00] <Koaway> Okay.
[21:00] <KLSymph> I wanna be the guy.
[21:00] <Merc> who makes the big bucks?
[21:01] <DrunkenBri> Since there's only one project, this does mean you'll have a lighter workload, but that means you can also do hands-on anywhere you want.
[21:01] * Merc throws KL into a dimension of pain, where everything tries to kill him, even the apples.
[21:01] <Koaway> Okay, when are we beginning?
[21:01] <DrunkenBri> Since half of the normal manager responsibilities (talking to other departments, etc.) won't be factors.
[21:01] * Koaway nods.
[21:01] <DrunkenBri> It's now, so let's start.
[21:01] <DrunkenBri> Okay.  So, let's go ahead and open the meeting.
[21:01] <Merc> Okay, where in the Ranma story is this starting? very start, post manga, somewhere in the middle?
[21:02] <DrunkenBri> We had aimed for something (I think) like ... what was it, just before Mother, I'm Ranma?
[21:02] <Koaway> Last time Brian and I chatted about it, we were pinning it right after Ryu Kumon but before the Nodoka/Ranma reunion.
[21:02] * Koaway nods.
[21:02] <Merc> *nods*
[21:02] <Koaway> The idea is to have as much of the canon done as possible without overly constraining things or making it less and less plausible for a non-Akane matchup.
[21:03] <DrunkenBri> We were thinking that our plot (which is going to be fairly simple) is going to be that Ranma is told for whatever reason that he has to pick a fiancee by the end of the day to meet his mother.
[21:03] <Merc> Okay, I recall seeing talk about matchups per path. Is this more of a dating sim type visual novel, or just storytelling something where the paths -happen- to lead to different matchups?
[21:03] <DrunkenBri> The latter.
[21:04] <jon> interesting
[21:04] * Koaway nods.
[21:04] <KLSymph> Will it "happen" to lead, or will the player "choose" in the context of the story?
[21:04] <jon> (I had invisioned the former. no matter.)
[21:04] <DrunkenBri> Dating sim flags are a level of complexity we don't want to bother with for this project.  We've got a K.I.S.S. ideal; most of this project is actually to establish a proof-of-concept.
[21:04] * Joins: Yukari-sama
[21:04] <DrunkenBri> The player will choose in the context of the story at the decision hub -- which will happen at the end of the main plot branch.
[21:04] <Koaway> Hi.
[21:04] <Merc> do you want some underlying theme connecting the paths (ie, like FS/N is about the grail, but different approaches in the three paths, and different villains/etc?)
[21:05] <Merc> or do you want them to wildly diverge?
[21:05] <DrunkenBri> I'm personally indifferent? :)
[21:05] <DrunkenBri> I'd like, actually, to have paths managed by different writers.
[21:05] <KLSymph> Well, what differentiates the paths? Matchup, clearly. I heard something about genre.
[21:05] <Merc> I know, that's why I was asking if there's some underlying theme or something that keeps the paths loosely connected;.
[21:06] <DrunkenBri> They can even be different themes from the main story, as long as they're consistent to the main storyline.
[21:06] <Koaway> Different writers, different genres per path?
[21:06] <DrunkenBri> Yes.
[21:06] <KLSymph> We should list genre/themes, then. Make sure there isn't unintentional overlap.
[21:07] <DrunkenBri> Not saying it's mandatory, but we had a suggestion of  (for example), the Akane path would be a straightforward romance, largely, Shampoo would be more action-styled with more combat, Ukyou might explore a mystery theme or something, etc.
[21:07] <DrunkenBri> It'll be good to gather information on that.  Okay, lets step back just a bit though, since this is getting somewhat disorganized.
[21:07] <Merc> I blame Hal, his entrance threw us off track.
[21:07] <DrunkenBri> I said yesterday I was going to make some new threads, but forgot.  Haha.
[21:07] <DrunkenBri> Always blame the youkai.
[21:08] <Merc> Yes.
[21:08] * DrunkenBri shakes his head sadly.
[21:08] <DrunkenBri> Anyway.  About the threads.
[21:08] * jon weaves them.
[21:08] <DrunkenBri> So, I'm thinking of creating a thread for general 'this is what the story is going to be about' and we can work from there
[21:09] <DrunkenBri> I haven't actually looked at the technical side of things, since we had something of a flood of volunteers and it seemed pretty well covered.
[21:09] <Koaway> That makes good sense. So the 64,000 buck question: What is the overarching story here gonna be, anyway?
[21:09] <DrunkenBri> Will we want a thread to cover technical issues?
[21:09] <Merc> overarching story is what I meant by an underlying theme connecting different paths
[21:09] <jon> sure, i'll take care of that one
[21:09] <jon> hm.
[21:10] <DrunkenBri> Well, we had a basic one.
[21:10] <DrunkenBri> Which is 'Ranma has to choose a girl'.
[21:10] <jon> I think if you look at the tropes of Ranma's life, there are a few recurring ones, chief among which is "A challenger appears"
[21:10] <DrunkenBri> Where it goes after the decision hub is whatever he has to go through to get to that point.
[21:10] <Koaway> Back in a sec, RL.
[21:11] <KLSymph> I want a thread to collect answers to my Design/Production questions.
[21:12] <DrunkenBri> Okay, that's a good one.
[21:12] <Koaway> Maybe a recruitment thread where we can figure out how to get more people or draw people in?
[21:12] <jon> Has anyone had a chance to look at the Undum system I linked?
[21:13] <DrunkenBri> Jon: Not yet.  Like I said, technical issues are a secondary concern.
[21:13] <DrunkenBri> At this stage. >_>;
[21:13] * jon nods
[21:13] <DrunkenBri> Realistically, story specifics are, too. :p
[21:13] <DrunkenBri> Okay, so, was everyone clear on the gameplay model and cool with it?
[21:14] <DrunkenBri> If not, that's a good item to add to KL's Design/Production questions thread.
[21:14] <Koaway> I'm fine with what we have so far.
[21:14] <DrunkenBri> Also, due to sobriety issues, while I'm still at the planning stage, actually cleaning up the forum, reposting the milestones in a clear checklist etc. is going to be in the morning. >_>;;
[21:14] <jon> I think it'll have to develop a bit more, but we're good for now on that.
[21:14] <KLSymph> So to summarize. An initial story, then a decision hub that splits into four paths. Each path is linear except for occasional choices that lead to Tiger Dojo asides.
[21:15] <DrunkenBri> Yes.
[21:15] <Koaway> Sounds about right, yes.
[21:16] <KLSymph> I'll devil's advocate for a second. Tiger Dojo was entertaining in F/sn because F/sn was often dark in contrast. How directly do we want to imitate or parody this aspect of Tiger Dojo?
[21:16] <DrunkenBri> I don't even know what F/sn is.
[21:16] <Merc> Fate/Stay Night
[21:17] <Koaway> Fate/Stay Night.
[21:17] <DrunkenBri> Well, that wasn't my idea so ... I can't defend it.
[21:17] <DrunkenBri> :D
[21:17] <DrunkenBri> Anyone able to support it?
[21:17] <DrunkenBri> Or do we axe it?
[21:17] <Koaway> I'll step up for it.
[21:18] <Koaway> I don't know precisely how close we want to run to those since that does depend on tone and other things, but I think various bad ends and reactions are both fun and a semi expected standard in these sort of things now.
[21:18] <jon> if you're doing "Genma provides info about the bad end you just reached", it might work better if we frame the whole story as explicitly being a story Ranma's telling (to whom, I'm not sure)
[21:19] <KLSymph> Tiger Dojo's main player function was to tell the player which choices to make to proceed. Since our paths are totally linear, this function doesn't exist. Should we do it?
[21:19] <DrunkenBri> I was under the impression we would (if we used this) be using it as a vehicle of comedy.
[21:20] <DrunkenBri> Ie., it's supposed to be funny.  And it does provide a (trope word missing here) justification?  Conceit?  It gives us a mechanic to let the players know that they won't be punished for 'bad' decisions.
[21:21] <DrunkenBri> Generally speaking, that'd probably be kind of jerkish on our parts. >.>
[21:22] * Koaway nods.
[21:22] <KLSymph> The fact that we will loop the player back to the choice is enough to tell the player they won't be punished for bad decisions.
[21:22] <DrunkenBri> Rather, I meant to encourage them.
[21:22] <DrunkenBri> For hilarity.
[21:22] <DrunkenBri> Since that's generally the purpose of the asides.
[21:23] <Merc> (note to self, post the 'i'd be crushed' image tomorrow to image of the day)
[21:23] <DrunkenBri> Or, if it's inconsequential, it just provides a different route to the same location.
[21:23] <KLSymph> Should we have "choices" of this kind? They are just an occasional aside joke, not real choices with consequences. If we want an occasional joke, maybe we should have a different mechanic.
[21:24] <KLSymph> For example, a 4th-wall breaking "other people watching over your shoulder, giving snarky commentary" sort of thing.
[21:24] <DrunkenBri> How about ... though the story is static, where the player is when events happen isn't.
[21:25] <DrunkenBri> So the player does have the option throughout the main branch to spend more time with whichever character they're more interested in (which lets the choices not be meaningless), though the outcome doesn't change.
[21:26] <DrunkenBri> Ie., you can hang out at the tendo dojo or go to the cat cafe at a specific point, but that's not where major events take place for that segment, it's just a choice of flavor.
[21:26] <DrunkenBri> (Also adds replay value.)
[21:26] <Merc> I'm currently getting the impression of: 1st decision hub matters (sets the main paths) -> all other decision hubs don't matter (one option leads along the main path, other options are just humor bits or flavor bits)
[21:26] <DrunkenBri> Effectively.
[21:28] <KLSymph> I suggest we have a To Heart 2 map/location mechanic for the neutral part. Let the player go to places and get flavor scenes, then choose at the hub.
[21:29] <Koaway> Mmmm. So basically you get to go a few places to your preference before things get moving?
[21:29] <DrunkenBri> Yeah.
[21:30] <DrunkenBri> I'm not sure about a map, though.
[21:30] <DrunkenBri> Since we have no artists.
[21:30] <DrunkenBri> Or art budget.
[21:30] <jon> maps are plausible but not necessary
[21:30] <Merc> A map isn't that hard, honestly.
[21:30] * jon has used his position as CFO to hire a Q operative.
[21:30] <Merc> As for art, I'm sure it's not impossible to find images of the cat cafe, a dojo, etc.
[21:30] <DrunkenBri> I'm sure it's not, but we already said that we weren't going to be doing graphics.
[21:31] <Merc> but that's entirely dependant on doing graphics which yeah, you said you weren't gonna
[21:31] <KLSymph> You don't need the map. Just a decision list is fine.
[21:32] <DrunkenBri> If we pull this off and prove that we can actually pull our stuff together, then we can look at another project with a higher level of complexity. >_>;
[21:32] <DrunkenBri> I've just seen too many stalled/failed projects that aimed a bit too high.
[21:32] <Merc> Yeah, that's probably a good idea.
[21:32] <DrunkenBri> Though, this may end up resulting in an underwhelming project, it'll at least be an achievable one.
[21:33] <Koaway> Yeah. If we finish and it's not that great, we can always pad it out and improve it.
[21:33] <Koaway> Better than never getting done at all.
[21:33] * DrunkenBri thwaps Ko.
[21:33] <DrunkenBri> You're a manager.
[21:33] <DrunkenBri> 'pad it out'?
[21:33] <KLSymph> The mechanic just needs a simple prompt. "Choose your next destination: A) Cat Cafe, B)..."
[21:33] <DrunkenBri> You mean 're-release'.
[21:33] <DrunkenBri> :D
[21:33] <DrunkenBri> KL: That's what I had in mind.
[21:34] <KLSymph> Let's say that Ranma has seven days to choose a girl. Each day he gets to go to one place.
[21:34] <Merc> How much involvement do people have with separate paths? I know you said you want one writer in charge of each path, is it just between the writer and Brian/Ko, or something like that microscope thing you linked once where everyone in the project helps kind of put the skeleton in place and then the writer fills it in?
[21:34] <Merc> The seven day thing -reaaaaaally- feels dating sim'ish
[21:35] <Koaway> Snerk.
[21:35] <KLSymph> Well, let's get this out in the open. Are we calling this a dating sim?
[21:35] <Koaway> But yeah.
[21:35] <DrunkenBri> I ... don't think so?
[21:35] <Merc> I'd asked earlier and I was told no! =D
[21:35] <Koaway> I'd say no, simply because that comes with too much baggage and it's not precisely what we wan.t
[21:36] <jon> it's a ranma sim! :P
[21:36] <DrunkenBri> The original idea was just a single (somewhat busy) day.
[21:36] <Merc> I did ask because we were saying paths were girl dependant, which made me think of dating sim mechanics.
[21:36] <KLSymph> So what's the difference? We have a guy choosing from a bunch of girls.
[21:36] <DrunkenBri> We get around that by saying up front that Ranma's got to pick one.
[21:36] <KLSymph> People see that description and jump to a conclusion.
[21:37] <DrunkenBri> There's no earning points or hitting flags.
[21:37] <DrunkenBri> And, yeah.
[21:37] <DrunkenBri> We, uh, don't want to be linked to eroge, probable.
[21:38] <Merc> That's one of the things that concerns me, KL. If only the initial decision hub matters, how much do people get out of romantic conflict when knowing the character they picked 'wins' by default at the end?
[21:38] <Merc> Barring the 'bad end' type options anyway.
[21:39] <KLSymph> I think we should just commit to "it's a dating sim VN", or having some amount of non-romance options. People's got expectations, after all.
[21:39] <DrunkenBri> Hang on a minute.
[21:40] <DrunkenBri> The idea is that the first half of the story is just gathering information/going through the day.  Ranma is putting off making his decision.
[21:40] <DrunkenBri> So, there shouldn't be any sense of betrayal on the part of the player that they get the girl they choose.
[21:42] <DrunkenBri> I'd hope.
[21:44] <Koaway> Mmmm.
[21:44] <KLSymph> Hmm. So we want to characterize this as a romantic VN, but not a dating sim? We may have to publicize it in a particular way to dispel misconceptions.
[21:47] <jon> "Choose Your Own Ranma Matchup"
[21:47] <Koaway> That's one way to put it.
[21:47] <Koaway> Rather succinct, actually.
[21:47] <DrunkenBri> Mm.  I'm not that worried about publicity.
[21:47] <DrunkenBri> That's a management concern.
[21:47] <DrunkenBri> XD
[21:48] <Merc> I'd rather worry about finishing this first, then advertising, yeah.
[21:48] <KLSymph> Devil's Advocate: Why do we need a neutral part and a decision hub? Why can't we just write four separate paths and have the player choose at the start of the game?
[21:49] <jon> because then it's four stories
[21:49] <KLSymph> Since the player is just going to choose his matchup? Go right to the point.
[21:49] <jon> not one story that can go four different ways
[21:50] <KLSymph> The paths will probably be different genres. In that case, what's so great about having one story going four ways?
[21:50] <jon> (for one thing, I think once the player makes a choice of girl, he should have a chance a bit later to change that choice)
[21:51] <KLSymph> Within the context of a single path? That sounds... complicated.
[21:52] <DrunkenBri> Yeah.
[21:52] <DrunkenBri> A bit much.
[21:52] <DrunkenBri> Why ... did the lights in the house just dim.
[21:53] <DrunkenBri> Creepy.
[21:53] * KLSymph is the devil.
[21:53] <Merc> Okay, instead of worrying about paths and such at all, why don't we write a single story first, then look at where we could branching points, and work from there?
[21:53] <Merc> To go along with the devil's advocate idea
[21:53] <Koaway> That's a pretty good idea, too. Get the base done before quibbling exactly how to split it up.
[21:54] <DrunkenBri> Well, actually, there's got to be a scene before the decision hub, at least.  I expect the bulk of the content to be payoff after the choice is made (effectively).
[21:54] <DrunkenBri> Calling it 'half' wasn't very precise.
[21:55] <DrunkenBri> I guess we could technically open with a menu that said 'choose a girl', but then, yeah, it's four separate stories, where did you choose your own adventure?
[21:55] <Merc> That's basically why I say, start with one story, start splitting that up, then see if any of the split paths can be split further, etc, so on
[21:57] <KLSymph> The point is the four paths. Unless having a neutral part and a decision hub offers you something that just four paths doesn't, it seems like unnecessary design. Is that design really worth it? If so, what does it offer?
[21:58] <Koaway> Well, if this is meant to be a test run for bigger projects, it lets us try out a basic format.
[22:00] <Merc> I think starting out with a single path and branching from there is probably the easiest way, rather than limiting ourselves to four paths and trying to figure out what we can/can't do.
[22:01] <Merc> As an aside, if someone does decide they want to try to put images into this, we could probably rip images out of: http://vndb.org/v4618 / http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YUXSBVUQ (assuming someone here knows how to do that crap).
[22:02] <KLSymph> Merc, there's this thing called the Anime Addventure, and I don't know if we want to imitate that structure.
[22:02] <DrunkenBri> Well.
[22:02] <DrunkenBri> That's basically an alternate approach.
[22:03] <DrunkenBri> Where instead of choosing a girl, we change the story so you effectively choose girls to not go with, until finally whoever's left is left.
[22:03] <Merc> Well, I'm -sort- of suggesting that structure, but a little different too. Rather than: Write a short bit with various options (addventure), I'm suggesting: Write a whole story, find good branching spots we think have potential, pick those up.
[22:03] <DrunkenBri> So.  Akane's the short/easy path.  Ukyou takes a bit more work.  Shampoo involves fighting off armies, etc.  If you continue after that, Kodachi?
[22:04] <DrunkenBri> I dunno.
[22:04] <jon> you have to fight cthulhu
[22:05] <KLSymph> So then instead of a single hub, we have sort of a decision trunk, with earlier branches toward some girls and later ones toward other girls.
[22:05] <DrunkenBri> Really, a linear story with multiple exits.
[22:05] <Merc> Also, the problem with anime or be addventures is that (a) there's no real control/lead (b) too many people. Here we do have a project lead, and we're assuming a limited number of people involved too.
[22:06] <KLSymph> Eh, the AA is mostly like that nowadays. But let's not focus too much on the AA. Let's stay on topic.
[22:06] <DrunkenBri> Which does make the 'bad end' options more feasible, since there will be meaningful choices to differentiate them with.
[22:06] <jon> (I've gotta wander off, ubt it seems like you guys have this well in hand.)
[22:07] <KLSymph> No, jon. If you go we will have no moral compass.
[22:07] <Merc> Hah.
[22:07] <jon> sure you will
[22:07] * jon plops down a moral compass.
[22:07] <DrunkenBri> Okay.  I think I'm okay with that design ... though it'll make splitting up responsibility for sections/switching themes much harder.
[22:08] <DrunkenBri> Well, not impossible.  Alright.  I can see how to do it.
[22:08] <DrunkenBri> Okay.  Any other questions/
[22:08] <DrunkenBri> ?
[22:08] <Merc> How much do I get paid for my consultation?
[22:09] <KLSymph> Project milestones!
[22:10] <DrunkenBri> What about them?
[22:10] <KLSymph> Name them.
[22:10] <DrunkenBri> Hal proposed a list; I'm inclined to go with it
[22:12] * Koaway nods.
[22:12] <KLSymph> When will we decide on the technology to run the VN?
[22:12] <Merc> by tomorrow's next IRC meeting~!!
[22:12] <Merc> =p
[22:13] <DrunkenBri> That's going to go in the technical discussion thread.
[22:14] <Merc> I'm kinda curious, what's that undum thing jon was talking about, btw, and how does it relate?
[22:14] <DrunkenBri> no idea.
[22:14] <DrunkenBri> Okay.  I'm somewhat fading, and we've gone a bit past an hour.
[22:15] <DrunkenBri> I'll be back in a bit, but I think we can call the meeting closed for tonight.
[22:15] <DrunkenBri> Tomorrow morning, assuming someone thinks to pester HungoverBri, he can grouse and actually clean up our forum so we can do some useful stuff with it
[22:15] <Koaway> Sure.
[22:18] <KLSymph> I've seen the undum thing. It's sort of a web-based interface for reading.
[22:18] <KLSymph> Pretty fancy. I'm not sure if it's what we're looking for, though.
[22:20] <KLSymph> I would say it's useful for controlling how the reader sees content, but I doubt it would benefit a visual novel story.
[22:20] <jon> it's basically a web-based CYOA tool
[22:23] <KLSymph> I think it's too much for our stripped-down story design. I don't think web-based is where we want to go, unless we really, really care about platform compatibility.
[22:26] <jon> that's a weird thing to say
[22:26] <jon> web-based is usually the simpler tools
[22:29] <KLSymph> Well, I'm looking at the tutorial story, and it has a three-pane setup and it stores character data. That's already more than we need for our current project.
[22:30] <KLSymph> I haven't source-dived or anything, though.
[22:55] <jon> Well, the tutorial is trying to show off all the features. Don't have to use all of them.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Brian

Okay -- sorry, due to RL issues, I'm not going to be able to head the meeting tonight (and those same issues have distracted me from taking care of the thread-creation etc.), so ... bleah.

Right -- I should have this sorted and will try and have things up by tomorrow.  In the meantime, it's been pointed out that evening timeslots aren't so great for our eastern timezone friends, so ... possibly earlier in the day?  Maybe tomorrow?

~exploding tag~

Florentino

If it is not to late are you guys still doing the Ranma Visual Novel Project I haven't messed around with The Ren Py Visual Novel Program(Tho I'm Planning on it) but I do have alittle experience with the Python Scrip it uses and alittle bit of Game Making

~Flo
Child : Why Grandma what big eyes you have....
Grandma : No Shit Kid I was a Protagonist Anime Character

Jon

Quote from: Florentino on November 12, 2011, 10:49:47 PM
If it is not to late are you guys still doing the Ranma Visual Novel Project I haven't messed around with The Ren Py Visual Novel Program(Tho I'm Planning on it) but I do have alittle experience with the Python Scrip it uses and alittle bit of Game Making

It's not too late, but, uh, who the hell are you?

Also, it's not really a visual novel; more like a CYOA with visual novel stylings. So we're unlikely to be using Ren'Py, and our higher priorities are in making sure contributors have a functional grasp of the English language.

Dracos

Heh, an introduction is a good thing to do, Florence (I do not recognize that nick either).  Did you find us by google or something?
Well, Goodbye.

Brian

Sir, he did introduce himself.  I take full responsibility for this one, as the action was sanctioned by me.

Florentino, welcome to the forum; when I am slightly more (hahahahahah--  No, I mean entirely:) sober, I shall give you a proper greeting.

In the meantime, your desire to help the Ranma: VN project is entirely welcome!

Though ... I must warn you, the 'visual' component at this point is ... erm ... entirely a joke as we have no artists.  Heh.  Yeah.....  ¬_¬

~exploding tag~

Florentino

Quote from: Jon on November 13, 2011, 01:08:19 AM
Quote from: Florentino on November 12, 2011, 10:49:47 PM

It's not too late, but, uh, who the hell are you?

Also, it's not really a visual novel; more like a CYOA with visual novel stylings. So we're unlikely to be using Ren'Py, and our higher priorities are in making sure contributors have a functional grasp of the English language.

Sorry, I must not have read a line with what was going down in china town.

Florentino

Quote from: Dracos on November 13, 2011, 02:33:08 AM
Heh, an introduction is a good thing to do, Florence (I do not recognize that nick either).  Did you find us by google or something?

Yes, it was a Random Google and I am very Glad I decided to do that.

Florentino

Quote from: Brian on November 13, 2011, 05:36:36 AM
Sir, he did introduce himself.  I take full responsibility for this one, as the action was sanctioned by me.

Florentino, welcome to the forum; when I am slightly more (hahahahahah--  No, I mean entirely:) sober, I shall give you a proper greeting.

In the meantime, your desire to help the Ranma: VN project is entirely welcome!

Though ... I must warn you, the 'visual' component at this point is ... erm ... entirely a joke as we have no artists.  Heh.  Yeah.....  ¬_¬

Thank You for accepting me but I would not have asked to join if I had no Benifits to give, I am (my opinion) Good at Drawing Textures from scratch due to the fact that my Hobby is drawing and Game Design as well as a fellow Game Artist and really Good with Story Telling. On several occasions I have done contests on creating a simple video game With No Crew Usually, with great success. tho it would mostly focus on gameplay and only be about one level or even half so there is usually no story, but I haven't messed around with that stuff for a while so it would take about a couple days to get my fell for it. But if it is a Visual Novel Project then there should be no need for most of the stuff just stated.

Thanks for the kind replys and greetings, Flo

Dracos

Cool.  Welcome to the site, Flo.
Well, Goodbye.

sarsaparilla

Quote from: Brian on November 13, 2011, 05:36:36 AM
the 'visual' component at this point is ... erm ... entirely a joke as we have no artists.

Well, there's me; though I'm not that familiar with either visual novels or computer graphics in particular ... and I'm rather occupied by other things already. Could still draw a thing or two if needed. >_>

Brian

Well, that's very kind of you. :)

I'm going to avoid worrying too much about art assets for this project as it is, since we're examining the viability of the project in general and want to avoid getting too specific....

My one consideration for actual visuals would be something of a title/splash screen on launch, if feasible (maybe actually also the background for whatever opening menu we have).  And that would actually just be a generic shot of the cast -- I was going to see if any of the official art matched, but, erm.  If you feel so inspired, I certainly wouldn't complain, but by no means should you feel obligated. :)

...yeah, really need to be working on those game scripts. >_<

~exploding tag~