News:

"I sense a soul in search of answers.  I shalt eat him."

Main Menu

Story planning discussion thread

Started by Brian, September 25, 2011, 08:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

The goal of this thread is to discuss how the story's going to work.  Related questions and discussions will go here.
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Anastasia

Okay, I'll start this off. So as far as I understand, our story idea is still fairly vague. Brian, if you're writing the main path up to the pathsplit, have you decided on more details?
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Brian

Indeed I have -- based on KL's argument of 'why bother with decisions if theres' only one decision node' I've reconsidered and come up with a proposal I'd like to see what everyone else thinks of.  We came up with the alternative of a single main storyline with (effectively) multiple exits, which runs the risk of favoritism, arc fatigue, etc.

So, new design (proposed, if everyone's cool with it):

We will have a relatively short base path before the first decision tree.  At that point, the story diverges into an A and B path and (for example) this will be where you chose your tone/genre.  The reasoning for the split can be as simple as a kidnapping (as Jon notes, the Ranma canon does give us plenty of A Challenger Appears to draw from), or a fight or something else -- the point is, Ranma has to choose between two of his potential matchups, and two of his other potential matchups.

From there, further along the A/B paths, we will have a chance to build up relationships between Ranma (the player) and the girls in that path until he reaches a secondary decision tree (C/D and E/F) for the remaining branches.  So, prime, A/B, C/D, and E/F.

While this may seem daunting, it's actually less workload for me (personally) provided even so much as one other person is willing to work on those paths.  Thoughts?

~exploding tag~

Anastasia

I'm fine with it, I think. It's more complicated but it does give more flexibility.

Do you have someone lined up to be the other writer yet?
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Muphrid

To clarify:  Path A has the C/D split and path B has the E/F split?

Brian

Muphrid: That is correct.

Given the new approach, we'll have six content areas instead of five.  So far, I don't think anyone else has committed to be a writer (unless I missed it?), but that's probably because we haven't firmly established what needs to be written.  Still, if we're agreed on this simple/branching mechanic (which gives a total of three 'meaninfgul' decisions hubs, only two of which are reachable per playthrough), then we can move on to story content, since that's going to be connected.

The 'prime' segment, which is everything leading up to the first decision tree, should be short enough to play as an introduction, give the players a few (probably no more than three?) of our 'false or flavor' choices, and properly set the stage so that they know when they have to choose, they're committed to whichever girls they're running after.

So, since this is going to be part of the setup for the primary path.  A/B paths, which girl goes where, how do we set the tones?

Suggestions/other questions?

~exploding tag~

Muphrid

Looking back in the big thread, some of the ideas being tossed around were like these:

Akane - straight romance path
Ukyo - family drama?
Kodachi - Lovecraftian horror?

And I swear someone said the Shampoo path could be something like a more action-oriented path, but I can't place it.  Going with all those, then, I feel like Akane and Shampoo could go together in a branch (being a more traditional expansion of the series) while Ukyo and Kodachi would represent a branch that's a bit more divergent.  On the other hand, it might be appealing to mix and match those...or it could be those groupings I've come up with don't make any real sense anyway.

Alternatively, I approached the above as what would distinguish those branches based on how they feel or what genres they visit, but that doesn't address the storyline reason for them to be divergent.  If there is, say, a caravan of Martial Arts Tiddlywinkers, the main divergence could be between confronting them or avoiding them?  Responding to a challenge straight-up versus some more...creative means?  I could definitely see enlisting, say, Kodachi's help as resulting in very creative ways to meet or defeat a challenger, so maybe there's some traction there that can be picked up or modified.

Brian

Well, that's an option, too.  For theme purposes, I had been thinking more that Shampoo and Kodachi sharing a branch before their split, and Ukyou/Akane being another.

The idea being that (maybe) Ranma's choice on that path is either to take a stand (Akane) or make a break for it (Ukyou).  Just as an example.  I'm starting to think that the structure and story ideas are linked, so let's see what general ideas everyone is cool with for the base story -- beyond our basic idea of 'Ranma is pressured to pick someone by the end of the day to meet Nodoka'.

~exploding tag~

Muphrid

Honestly, that grouping was what came to mind first for me, too; I kind of thought to avoid it because it seemed...I dunno, too obvious?  But it does make a lot of sense.

All right, if we work backward, then the Akane part of that path is to confront things and the Ukyo part is to make a break, like you say.  Thinking about what could differentiate that path from the Shampoo/Kodachi branch--maybe the latter are ways Ranma tries to engage in some sort of deception or scam and ends up really buying into it?

Carthrat

QuoteI'm starting to think that the structure and story ideas are linked, so let's see what general ideas everyone is cool with for the base story -- beyond our basic idea of 'Ranma is pressured to pick someone by the end of the day to meet Nodoka'.

Okay, so let's say the meeting isn't just for dinner. Nodoka is offering something for Ranma and his fiance, as soon as he makes up his mind; something any of them might want. Maybe to take them all on a vacation someplace? An all-expenses-paid weekend stay at a fancy and exclusive hotel? Inheritance of a pair of magical Saotome artifacts? We could vary it between characters; sort of leave the details unspecified during the setup and reveal them later depending on the girl.

Speaking of the girls and how the story differs between them...

Mmm. Having an 'action path' specific to one girl (e.g. Shampoo) doesn't sit well with me, because I expect action to appear in every path. And since virtually every path will deal with romance, having a specific romance path for Akane doesn't click with me either.

Ukyou and Kodachi come easily to me; Lovecraftian horror for Kodachi works, and for Ukyou I actually think some sort of business drama would work pretty well; a story that deals with the issues of single-handedly running a business could be pretty cool. We could bring in hostile yakuza!

I think an Akane or Shampoo path work better if you emphasize the martial-arts background/world somehow, though I'm not exactly sure what to do with them.
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up

Brian

Quote from: Carthrat on September 27, 2011, 11:26:36 PMOkay, so let's say the meeting isn't just for dinner. Nodoka is offering something for Ranma and his fiance, as soon as he makes up his mind; something any of them might want. Maybe to take them all on a vacation someplace? An all-expenses-paid weekend stay at a fancy and exclusive hotel? Inheritance of a pair of magical Saotome artifacts? We could vary it between characters; sort of leave the details unspecified during the setup and reveal them later depending on the girl.
We could do that, though leaving it till the end leaves it kind of difficult to get much use out of in the storylines.
Quote from: Carthrat on September 27, 2011, 11:26:36 PMSpeaking of the girls and how the story differs between them...

Mmm. Having an 'action path' specific to one girl (e.g. Shampoo) doesn't sit well with me, because I expect action to appear in every path. And since virtually every path will deal with romance, having a specific romance path for Akane doesn't click with me either.
Er, let's say that the summary dropped the word 'more' -- there was never any suggestion (that I know of) to have Akane's path be a plotline of only romance, no action, etc.

In the above example, putting Akane and Ukyou on the A path (C/D being their individual storylines), then A would contain both the romance and business action elements, focusing on one more than the other after the decision hub (C being 'romance' and D being 'businessey').  So, in the Akane route, the Yakuza are a threat that's just causing trouble in the neighborhood, and then in the Ukyou route, they're hired by some rival business that's trying to drive Ukyou out of business, etc.

Anyway.  Beyond that, the themes weren't meant to be limiting; that's all guidelines anyway.  We don't at all need to commit to 'every path must be a totally different theme'.  In fact, let's just drop that whole 'limited by themes' factor.
Quote from: Carthrat on September 27, 2011, 11:26:36 PMUkyou and Kodachi come easily to me; Lovecraftian horror for Kodachi works, and for Ukyou I actually think some sort of business drama would work pretty well; a story that deals with the issues of single-handedly running a business could be pretty cool. We could bring in hostile yakuza!

I think an Akane or Shampoo path work better if you emphasize the martial-arts background/world somehow, though I'm not exactly sure what to do with them.
I can come up with ideas for those ... does it sound like someone has an idea for an Ukyou storyline, then? ;)

~exploding tag~

Merc

You'd mentioned a desire to place this story between Ryu Kumon's appearance and Ranma/Nodoka reuniting. Assuming you meant the reuniting where she finds out about the curse and is okay with it, there's quite a few events between the stories (Vol 28 to Vol 36).

Between the two stories, things that popped up:
Pink/Link
Akari
Cursed Doll
Rouge
White Lily (Kodachi's rival)
Battle Suit
Age Mushrooms
Mirror Ranma
Konatsu

Post Nodoka/Ranma reuniting:
Saffron
Wedding

Figured I'd toss up mention of that in case you wanted to play around with any of that for plotting time frame.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Muphrid

Something to consider also is that Ranma meets Nodoka again in that span--the bust battle story.  After that, Ranma seemed particularly determined to prove himself, so that could be a factor in backstory for this.

Talking about yakuza--I don't know what all is already planned for the pre-branching part of the story, but would it be something like, say...we know Nodoka is dirt poor.  Let's say some yakuza are pressuring her on some debts, and they'll accept real payment or, if she can't pay, Ranma's marrying into the family to become part of their operation, so part of choosing a girl is to close that avenue of pressure while instigating other plot-related stuff?

On second thought, I'm kind of going cross-eyed looking at that, trying to make sense of things.  And if the main branch has been fleshed out more than I thought, feel free to disregard.

Brian

Well, we can actually be really vague about the threat.

Yakuza are in town because:
  • Genma sold Ranma to the local gang head's daughter several years ago, and the yaks have come to collect their due.
  • Nodoka took a loan out from a 'reputable businessman' who happens to have a grudge against Genma, and because of this, Yakuza have slowly been zeroing in on the Tendo compound....
  • Ranma and Ryouga accidentally destroyed a multibillion yen crime ring during one of their brawls; the Yaks won't find 'Hibiki', but if he knows what's good for him, 'Saotome' is going to marry into a new name -- and fast!
  • Tendo Soun is behind in paying his 'protection' money.  Wait, what?  Seriously?  Someone's threatining a martial artist in neri--  *looks up at list*  Uh, yeah.  Soun's fault.
  • You know that fanon thing about Nabiki having Yakuza contacts?  Well, she read one-too-many-fics, and decided to give it a shot.  Too bad we don't have a Nabiki branch.

Okay.  I actually really like the Ranma/Ryouga accidentally busted up a crime ring thing.  That makes a straightforward opener.  We can actually mix-and-match, depending on how we want to play things.  For example, we use the 'busted up crime ring' starter, and then say that happened some days before our story starts.  Ranma has been laying low and gets a letter that's been rendered partially illegible from Happosai-related antics (probably a happo dai karin).

The letter has enough legible parts to be vague and ominous, Ranma's concerned about the crime ring thing, and then, hmm.  How does this compel him to pick someone?  If they sent him the letter, they know where he lives.

Okay, wait.  Happosai beat up some yaks and got the damaged letter off them when he heard they were looking for Ranma.  Happosai has no idea what's going on, but figures it'll be fun to screw with Ranma?  Problem is, none of Happosai's motivations lead to Ranma picking a girl.  Cologne has a pro-Shampoo bias.  Pretty much any other character we can use here does, too.

I guess we could work Hinako in there, somehow, but that's not really in her character, either (except, if she was trying to spite Happi, maybe?  That ... could work, especially if we're going the 'Hinako-sensei' comedy options that people were suggesting (they may have been referencing another character/series, I couldn't honestly tell)).

Hmm.  The 'Why does Ranma have to pick?' issue looms large.  Ideas?  Thoughts?

Opinions?

~exploding tag~

Carthrat

-Money. Maybe there's some sort of government bonus for newly weds floating about, like on buying a new house or something. Japan has a declining birth rate, after all, so offering incentives for young people to hook up could work! If Nodoka/Soun/Nabiki/Ukyo/??? is getting pressured for cash, this is a legit way to get some fast without any strings attached. Well, aside from the marriage.

-Supernatural impetus. A kami of relationships is sick of how he's screwing around and curses him! If he doesn't make a decision by X time, he will be forever trapped as a girl/he will never again have a relationship (wait, he might like that)/his soup will always be served cold.

-Ranma has recently been seeing a guidance counselor, who has advised him that leaving things hanging and stretching out problems never solves anything; decisive action is required. He takes this to heart.

-The head of the Yakuza is a total sap. If he sees Ranma is truly in love with another girl, he's the sort of guy who'll let him renege on his other obligation. Well, he's the sort of guy who'll let him pay another way, at least.
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up