News:

Game for the gaming god; co-op for the entertainment couch!

Main Menu

Story planning discussion thread

Started by Brian, September 25, 2011, 08:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

If this tops 100k words, I've done something very, very wrong.

I don't expect it to top 100k characters, TBH.  Those are approaching our pre-defined sanity limits as it is. ^_^;
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Brian

General thoughts: Akane/Ukyou path should be more in keeping with the original theme of the series, with Akane being as true to Takahashi as I can write (maybe even hinting at a Status Quo ending, I dunno; probably want to shy away from that if it comes across as favoritism), and Ukyou being similar, with more of an emphasis on establishing a new structure/family values.

Since they share a branch until their respective node, most of their path will reflect the 'Ranma goes to school' option, probably with Akane's bath splitting off into standard Takahashi-style, and Ukyou's ... slightly more introspective?  Can probably pull this off since it's a 'dating' challenge, and Ukyou's lack of romantic knowledge (about equal to Ranma's, probably) can be shored up with what she knows about restaraunts (IE., where they would have a bad experience, or something, not sure yet).

I have to admit a lack of inspiration on the Shampoo/Kodachi path.  My initial thought was to make it the 'more serious' route (and this can be reflected before the node at the path split).  Realistically, Ranma would probably not pursue Kodachi, though to properly notify the player, Nabiki will make a reasonable observation that Ranma could probably team up with her without any comittment (yeah, _right_!).  So, their side-plot should be Ranma seeking out Shampoo and finding both.

A good situation for both of them to appear ... possibly Kodachi ordering something from the Neko-Hanten?  Maybe have Ranma find Shampoo trading a bundle of her grandmother's herbs for something Kodachi grew?  (Play that one off as it being Cologne's plan, Shampoo is just the courier, and it's all stuff Cologne has finding locally -- genuinely harmless, not mind-control ingredients.)  Either Shampoo and Kodachi are meeting (or at the same place) by coincidence (even if it's a mundane one), or they're together intentionally.  I think coincidence works best, since it leaves them non-adversarial (until Ranma shows up and gives them something to fight over).

May want to wait until the trunk is more finalized before going into too much detail, but the Kodachi/Shampoo path could use some attention, and it could end up being something I want to foreshadow in the trunk.

~exploding tag~

Anastasia

Let's give this a kick in the ass.

Quote from: Brian on October 24, 2011, 04:29:57 PMGeneral thoughts: Akane/Ukyou path should be more in keeping with the original theme of the series, with Akane being as true to Takahashi as I can write (maybe even hinting at a Status Quo ending, I dunno; probably want to shy away from that if it comes across as favoritism), and Ukyou being similar, with more of an emphasis on establishing a new structure/family values.

Works. I'd try and differentiate Ukyou's path a little more. It's a change in Ranma and a change to the status quo. Both are rather against Takahashi's style in Ranma 1/2, so I feel comparing that isn't quite right.

QuoteSince they share a branch until their respective node, most of their path will reflect the 'Ranma goes to school' option, probably with Akane's bath splitting off into standard Takahashi-style, and Ukyou's ... slightly more introspective?  Can probably pull this off since it's a 'dating' challenge, and Ukyou's lack of romantic knowledge (about equal to Ranma's, probably) can be shored up with what she knows about restaraunts (IE., where they would have a bad experience, or something, not sure yet).

She'd know more about dating in restaurants and less out of it. She'd know at least casual dating and maybe more serious dating within that prism, but would show more floundering/possible humor out of it.

QuoteI have to admit a lack of inspiration on the Shampoo/Kodachi path.  My initial thought was to make it the 'more serious' route (and this can be reflected before the node at the path split).  Realistically, Ranma would probably not pursue Kodachi, though to properly notify the player, Nabiki will make a reasonable observation that Ranma could probably team up with her without any comittment (yeah, _right_!).  So, their side-plot should be Ranma seeking out Shampoo and finding both.

A good situation for both of them to appear ... possibly Kodachi ordering something from the Neko-Hanten?  Maybe have Ranma find Shampoo trading a bundle of her grandmother's herbs for something Kodachi grew?  (Play that one off as it being Cologne's plan, Shampoo is just the courier, and it's all stuff Cologne has finding locally -- genuinely harmless, not mind-control ingredients.)  Either Shampoo and Kodachi are meeting (or at the same place) by coincidence (even if it's a mundane one), or they're together intentionally.  I think coincidence works best, since it leaves them non-adversarial (until Ranma shows up and gives them something to fight over).

Yes, I'd like to avoid the mind-control spice trap-pit that hits Shampoo/Amazon fics anyway. As to how to make it more serious, I'm not quite sure offhand. It may be best to tie it into making Kodachi more palatable to Ranma, since he's going to need encouragement there anyway.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Brian

Quote from: Anastasia on October 30, 2011, 12:30:19 AMLet's give this a kick in the ass.

[Ukyou/Akane branch outline]

Works. I'd try and differentiate Ukyou's path a little more. It's a change in Ranma and a change to the status quo. Both are rather against Takahashi's style in Ranma 1/2, so I feel comparing that isn't quite right.

Fair enough.  They'll have to be identical up until Ranma picks between the two of them, anyway.

Quote from: Anastasia on October 30, 2011, 12:30:19 AMShe'd know more about dating in restaurants and less out of it. She'd know at least casual dating and maybe more serious dating within that prism, but would show more floundering/possible humor out of it.

True enough.  Though, they have to beat the other couple to win (unless I want to play the super-sappy, "Lose to save Ukyou, have judges suddenly rule that such a display of love overturns the loss at the last moment," card (though, I guess that could also be played for Akane, possibly even in a Takahashi-esque style.

Quote from: Anastasia on October 30, 2011, 12:30:19 AMYes, I'd like to avoid the mind-control spice trap-pit that hits Shampoo/Amazon fics anyway. As to how to make it more serious, I'm not quite sure offhand. It may be best to tie it into making Kodachi more palatable to Ranma, since he's going to need encouragement there anyway.

Hmm.  Probably a better way to frame the setup -- Nabiki knows about whatever meetup is going on ("Wait, and you never told me?!"   "It's harmless, Saotome -- and you didn't pay me anything for that info before.  The important thing here is...") and suggests that Kodachi would be a great partner, as long as Ranma can keep her from thinking it's serious (well, given the Asuka the While Lilly fiasco ... then again--

Hold the phone.  Overthinking this.

Kodachi wants in because she wants revenge?  Set up, let's see....  Mikado and Asuka could be the 'opposing' couple, actually -- saves creating OCs and gives Kodachi an easy reason to get into the plot.  This would be a change to the trunk, but that's not actually a big issue.  Lessee ... planses....

Okay.  I can't remember if we had a reason to not use Asuka before.  Asuka picks a fight with Nabiki, and she's got Mikado with her (who Ranma still has a grudge against for that kiss) so Ranma jumps on board the plan to double-team them.  Nabiki 'trains' with Ranma, but her actual plan is to bail before the date _anyway_ (because it's Nabiki; now she's just using Ranma to get revenge with less effort on her part).  This feels a bit truer to her character.

Her handling of Nodoka that becomes slightly more casual and less invested (though, she actually will show at least a small amount of concern for Ranma's wellbeing and not try to screw him over -- he's working for her, after all).  Plenty of room for Nabiki to possibly also make a mistake early on to get Ranma stuck on the comittment path and then run interference because, well, now she _has_ to....

Okay, I think we've got our opener.

~exploding tag~

Anastasia

Quote from: Brian on October 30, 2011, 01:02:20 AMTrue enough.  Though, they have to beat the other couple to win (unless I want to play the super-sappy, "Lose to save Ukyou, have judges suddenly rule that such a display of love overturns the loss at the last moment," card (though, I guess that could also be played for Akane, possibly even in a Takahashi-esque style.

That's a pretty neat idea. It is sappy, but if done right it could be touching. Hell, at least it would give the girl in question a reason to blush and act all cute.

QuoteHmm.  Probably a better way to frame the setup -- Nabiki knows about whatever meetup is going on ("Wait, and you never told me?!"   "It's harmless, Saotome -- and you didn't pay me anything for that info before.  The important thing here is...") and suggests that Kodachi would be a great partner, as long as Ranma can keep her from thinking it's serious (well, given the Asuka the While Lilly fiasco ... then again--

Hold the phone.  Overthinking this.

Kodachi wants in because she wants revenge?  Set up, let's see....  Mikado and Asuka could be the 'opposing' couple, actually -- saves creating OCs and gives Kodachi an easy reason to get into the plot.  This would be a change to the trunk, but that's not actually a big issue.  Lessee ... planses....

Okay.  I can't remember if we had a reason to not use Asuka before.  Asuka picks a fight with Nabiki, and she's got Mikado with her (who Ranma still has a grudge against for that kiss) so Ranma jumps on board the plan to double-team them.  Nabiki 'trains' with Ranma, but her actual plan is to bail before the date _anyway_ (because it's Nabiki; now she's just using Ranma to get revenge with less effort on her part).  This feels a bit truer to her character.

Her handling of Nodoka that becomes slightly more casual and less invested (though, she actually will show at least a small amount of concern for Ranma's wellbeing and not try to screw him over -- he's working for her, after all).  Plenty of room for Nabiki to possibly also make a mistake early on to get Ranma stuck on the comittment path and then run interference because, well, now she _has_ to....

Okay, I think we've got our opener.

Sounds good, I like how that plays. It ties into things well and that's always a plus. The better a scenario hooks itself together, the less work the author has to do to make it happen.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Brian

Okay, hacking this out at work while waiting for DDT to finish.  Ugh, mistiming bonnie++ has left me coming into the office and starting a coffee pot at midnight; I've got about 2 hours of work ahead of me, spaced out over the next 4-5 hours.  This should give me ample time to work on this outline.

Outline: In brief, Nabiki and Ranma have gotten snared into a match against Mikado and Asuka the White Lilly.  This happens because Ranma is (unhappily) helping Nabiki carry packages on her latest shopping spree, and he owes her some money for something.  When they meet, Ranma mostly just glares at Mikado, who's not exactly thrilled with Ranma himself.  Asuka picks up on this (wait, I just realized I'm getting Asuka and Azusa mixed up -- good opportunity for Mikado to make an ass out of himself later in the story by making the same slip-up and being called out on it; save that thought for future branch outlines), and remembers Ranma from his involvement with Kodachi, so decides to try and pick a fight with Nabiki.

Probably the way to do this is to have Ranma save the packages he's carrying, but have Nabiki carrying something that's more expensive (a necklace, maybe, which Asuka breaks).  Hmm.  Thinking about this, I like the idea that Asuka gets irritated that Nabiki won't rise to most of her barbs and Nabiki thinks she's got the situation handled, so tells him not to get involved.  Asuka breaks the necklace then offers a nicer one as a prize for the match that will settle things.

Nabiki wants the more valuable necklace, but has no intention of actually risking herself or actually getting involved in a fight.  She lets Ranma think that she is, and he's willing to pick a fight against Mikado, though the prize is pretty worthless to him.

So.  Nabiki has implied that she's dating Ranma to Asuka, though not directly stated it.  At this point, no one except Mikado/Asuka and Ranma/Nabiki know about the arrangement, and right as this intro ends, and Ranma grumbles about Akane finding out, as per panda's suggestion: Loudspeaker announcement (actually, considering old-fashioned crop-duster full of leaflets for potentially greater hilarity, and Ranma crazily jumping around tyring to collect them all -- in vain, naturally).

Nabiki had mentioned at one point 'the time that she and Ranma had gotten engaged' (which was a brief arc, but she lets the implication carry it's still ongoing).  Asuka, taking it at face value, explicitly mentions 'Ranma and his fiancee'.  Depending on how much Nabiki was screwing with him, this could be 'beloved' or the like; could be played up.

Now, Nabiki chooses this moment to weasel out of participating, for additional hilarity and added Takahashi-factor, let's drop the 'training/practice' dates, since the NWC would have destroyed those in a comedy of errors anyway.  And Nabiki's genre savvy enough to know that.  (But the proviso still lets her claim the necklace, should Ranma win (in fact, until the Nodoka reveal, this is her primary motive to be involved)).  Instead, she's using Ranma to solve the problem and do her dirty work for her.

[At this point, to introduce the player to the concept of making choices and keep the game from feeling too railroadey right off the bat, introduce a false-decision hub right here.  This calls for a bit more work from me (more scenes), but less total genuine options.  Erm.  So, hmm....  Nabiki proposes that Ranma consider one of the other girls he's engaged to, giving the player the choice between three options.  This is something of a false-reveal as far as how the paths are linked together, but helps provide the illusion that the game is slightly deeper than it is. >_>;;

OPTION ONE: Ask Akane's advice/explain to her first.

Ranma marches off to confront Akane and reveal that Nabiki's gotten him into this situation on his own, after summoning up his bravery.  When he gets to her room, she's already talking to Kodachi.  Akane's taking a cooler-headed approach right off the bat, and can present Kodachi as viable.

OPTION TWO: Instead of worrying about Akane, worry about picking a good arena for the fight.

Check out the local restaraunt scene, where Ranma stumbles across Ukyou and Shampoo picking up supplies for their respective shops and also too busy to actually fight (yay, thwarting fannon!).

OPTION THREE: Take a nap/screw off.

Player doesn't feel like doing either of those things, so the third scene is Ranma loafing, (effectively, deciding that whatever happens, he's in the eye of the storm).  Cue Nodoka arriving right then -- to make this scene mesh with the others, Ranma doesn't participate directly, just eavesdrops -- possibly a little panicked scene where Ranma's looking for cold water (always fun).

All three scenes end with Ranma running into the Tendo home after getting splashed (in the first two options, it's probably by Kasumi; in the third Ranma does it to himself).

The next scene is therefore 'Ranko' running in and failing to run interference for herself, and Nabiki actually redeeming herself a small bit (within bounds; she can recognize some personal responsibility for the issue (but she still wants that necklace)) by keeping Ranma from making a worse decision, and after Nabiki gets Nodoka to eagerly run off to await meeting her 'oh so manly son', can lead directly to the next (much shorter) false decision node (this one's pretty much a gag).

"Saotome, do as I suggest -- unless you want to grab Ryouga and have 'Ranko' cover this challenge for 'Ranma'?"

OPTION ONE:  ...no.

Ranma politely declines and cedes to Nabiki's gentle suggestion -- "Plan B," please (go for some dry, Whedonesque reply from Ranma, even if it's verging on OOC (if it's funny enough)).

OPTION TWO:  He~ll naw!

After being appropriately squicked, disgusted (going for Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking here), and throwing a laundry list of reasons why that would never happen, Ranma can conclude, "Besides, I'm not that desparate to win this one, yet."

Both lead to Nabiki laying Ranma's alternatives out starkly, and warning that he may have to play nice with whoever to satisfy his mother, so be careful with your choices and don't jump into things -- these decisions could be surprisingly meaningful!

After this, Ranma sleeps on things (the match will be at sunset the next day -- dinner out, naturally).  The following morning, after the cliche battle with Genma/etc. + warnings of his mother and how he really, really needs to get married to Akane to solve this problem right now....  Ranma ponders his options, still going with the premise that 'even if it might be a "for a while" thing, it's probably not permanent...' (oh, Saotome, you fool....  You poor, poor fool...) and so:

OPTION ONE: Go to School, where Akane and Ukyou are.

Diverges to the School of Hard Knocks branch (internal name only: Do not release to investors)

OPTION TWO: Ask the Ghoul for advice.

Diverges to the Adventure! branch.

(Man, this is TERRIBLE for a 'final' draft.  Good thing I have ... 23 more hours to polish this.  Any feedback?  Comments?  Suggestions?  Complaints?)

~exploding tag~

Muphrid

QuoteOPTION ONE: Ask Akane's advice/explain to her first.

Ranma marches off to confront Akane and reveal that Nabiki's gotten him into this situation on his own, after summoning up his bravery.  When he gets to her room, she's already talking to Kodachi.  Akane's taking a cooler-headed approach right off the bat, and can present Kodachi as viable.

Kodachi and Akane in the same room?  This strikes me as something that might require some care or thought to make sure it stays logical (as much as logic works with Kodachi around) yet civil.

My only other concern is this:  does the second big branch make it clear that it leads to Shampoo and Kodachi by just mentioning Cologne in there?  Or, since I don't really know enough about these sorts of things, is that not really required to be apparent so much as you play through a few times and you figure out it when things are ambiguous?

On the whole, though, for a main trunk of things it seems pretty reasonable.  I like the extra false node, too.  I think that gives it the right pacing.

Brian

Quote from: Muphrid on November 01, 2011, 02:10:58 AMKodachi and Akane in the same room?  This strikes me as something that might require some care or thought to make sure it stays logical (as much as logic works with Kodachi around) yet civil.

You forget that this actually already happened in the manga.  Akane actually insisted that Ranma date Kodachi to challenge Asuka.  Or is it too much to play on that as continuity?  I mean ... I think the best way would be to play Ranma's reaction to them both in the same room as incredulous, and then probably have Akane remind Ranma of the way things happened last time herself.

Quote from: Muphrid on November 01, 2011, 02:10:58 AMMy only other concern is this:  does the second big branch make it clear that it leads to Shampoo and Kodachi by just mentioning Cologne in there?  Or, since I don't really know enough about these sorts of things, is that not really required to be apparent so much as you play through a few times and you figure out it when things are ambiguous?

I think I can get around this by Nabiki mentioning them both as possibilities -- and then telling Ranma to consult with Cologne if he's unsure.

Quote from: Muphrid on November 01, 2011, 02:10:58 AMOn the whole, though, for a main trunk of things it seems pretty reasonable.  I like the extra false node, too.  I think that gives it the right pacing.

I'll consider that a stamp of approval.  In before deadline!

~exploding tag~

Muphrid

Okay, I think that can make sense.  Akane and Kodachi, in a rare moment of cooperation, rejoin forces as before.  I can see that.  I do think Kodachi might leave some sort of booby trap or other parting gift for Akane, though--maybe as a token act of rivalry because so much goodwill with Akane gives her the creeps or something.  It could do double duty in making Kodachi seem anti-villain-esque?

Brian

I think the anti-Akane plot could be seeded/hinted there, but only come out in Akane's path, as part of her final story.  Still, excellent place to foreshadow it.

~exploding tag~