In regards to the cutoff point for the first release

Started by Oroboro, April 30, 2012, 02:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oroboro

Well, this has been brought up several times in IRC already, and I think we've reached somewhat of a consensus, but everyone usually isn't on at the same time, so I figure it should be brought up here.

Namely: The idea that for the first release, we should stop right after the Closed Space scene in chapter . Namely because it ends on such a narrative strong point, and afterwords sees the beginnings of the Yakuza arc, which takes a long time to come to a conclusion, so it's a natural story break as well.

I'm definitely for this, but whether we're technically democratic or not, it's good to have everyone on the same page, so feel free to weigh in.
Knox's 9th: It is permitted for observers to let their own conclusions and interpretations be heard!

The truth is in red / Theories are blue / Magic is bullshit / But I still love you.

Agasa

*Tap Tap Tap* Test, test... Ok, the microphone works!

Before release we'll be polishing what we worked on until now, without adding new material. As far as our governance model model goes, i propose a benevolent Determinator-ocracy: generally, we'll be democratic, unless it would hinder the project in any significant way. We'll never stop, never surrender before the project is completed! We are the Big Damn VN-dan! We eat novels and shit awesome! Learn to expect us!

Ok, got a bit carried away. Going back to Serious mode, i'll open a thread regarding art right now.

Unclouded TJ

Having nothing to do with the project but an outside observer I'd agree with that being a good testing area to see how well it would work en mass.

Zfish9

alethiophile

I was one of the people who agreed with the conclusion in IRC, but just for clarity's sake, yes, I'm for it.

Jason

Same here; I already agreed in IRC, so I'm reaffirming it here.
If you make something idiot-proof, the world will build a better idiot.

ZeroNull

Oops, kinda forgot to post here.

I sometimes wonder how such outright breaking of arc boundaries, not to mention chapter itself can really go with non-adaptation policy (i.e. keeping original text free of any and all changes, no matter the cost)... But for that same reason, I wholeheartedly support this motion of butting the release line in the middle of a chapter.

It is a great place to stop, after all.

alethiophile

I think we can consider cutting off at release to be in the same sort of category as strategically spacing out NVL screenclears; it might if you squint be considered a discretionary adaptation, but it's minor enough that we don't need to be anal about it.

ZeroNull

Quoteit might if you squint be considered a discretionary adaptation, but it's minor enough that we don't need to be anal about it.
Yup. Suuuure. As in, "completely chaging the story flow" minor (reades are not going to see the rest of the chapter for quite some time after all), especially compared to "smoothing one-line  offhand mentions so the text and picture would not contradict each other" end-of-the-world disaster.

But don't let my ridiculing the one policy I wholeheartedly believe being the liability (but still pretty meh about being in place) fool you: as I already said, I fully support this place for end of the release. It IS the best place. It gives our release sense of completeness while still being cliffy enough to keep readers engaged. So lets continue using it.