News:

Because we're grown ups now, and its our turn to decide what that means.

Main Menu

General Information and Guidelines

Started by Oroboro, April 29, 2012, 08:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oroboro

Agasa-given General Information: This thread will be kept clean of comments, and will keep only actual guidelines. Your acknowledgment replies of such guidelines will be deleted after ah... well, once i read to delete it. let's say, a month after posting? Sounds cool to me.

And now, back to our scheduled programming.

Just trying to get some general project guidelines written down and in an easily viewable format. These are just off the top of my head, so obviously more will be added later.

IRC dicussion can be found at irc.lunarnet.org . Channel #bdh-vn

Repository can be found at: https://github.com/alethiophile/KBDH-VN
IRC Logs can be found at: http://www.cs.colostate.edu/~tomdhunt/bdhvn.html
Dev blog can be found at: http://bdh-vn.blogspot.com/

• The text should be adapted 100% as is, no matter how minor or superficial the change.
  • When making new sprites, be sure to add variations for all the existing outfits. Saves time in the long run.
  • Don't add anything large (>1MB, say) to the repository until it's actually referenced in the code and shows up in the game. This includes the majority of music files as well as large numbers of sprites at once.
  • Don't push to the repository unless you've tested the game to make sure it runs, at least. If the repository head ever aborts on error or otherwise doesn't start, we look dumb.
  • Naming convention for sprites is Charecter-Pose-Outfit-Expression. Certain outfits (School uniform, usually) are considered "default" and don't have to be spelled out. Same with certain poses, depending.
Knox's 9th: It is permitted for observers to let their own conclusions and interpretations be heard!

The truth is in red / Theories are blue / Magic is bullshit / But I still love you.

alethiophile

Both sound good.

Other thoughts:

• Don't add anything large (>1MB, say) to the repository until it's actually referenced in the code and shows up in the game. This includes the majority of music files as well as large numbers of sprites at once.
  • Don't push to the repository unless you've tested the game to make sure it runs, at least. If the repository head ever aborts on error or otherwise doesn't start, we look dumb.

ZeroNull

I promised some choice words to scene directors on the IRC. So there they are.
*Ahem.*
Please, for the love (life) of the Kyon, stop putting the position parameters (at clause, ATL) to the every. single. damn. show statement!
That is reeeeeeeeeeeeally unnecessary, as Ren'Py is smart enough to show the image in the place previously occupied by the image with the same tag (first word in name) as one is going to be show, by default. So, at clauses (and its ATL equivalents) should only get used in first show of that image family in the scene or when moving sprites around. NOT ALWAYS!!1

Current situation makes shuffling sprites around while keeping scene consistent rather tedious. So, please, change your ways, for everyone's sake.

alethiophile

So, to clarify, instead of putting
show Kyon SomeSprite at right
"This is a line"
show Kyon SomeOtherSprite at right

you should put

show Kyon SomeSprite at right
"This is a line"
show Kyon SomeOtherSprite

That's true, that's worth changing, if only for ease in moving things around.