News:

I have a dream that one day, men will be punched in the face not for the color of their skin, but for the awful content of their character.

Main Menu

Checklist for first release

Started by alethiophile, May 01, 2012, 03:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alethiophile

So we're going for release within the next week or so, with scenes from the beginning to the end of Haruhi's closed space scene. Thoughts on things we need to get done before release? First impressions:

• Figure out how it's going to be packaged. It's kind of silly having one executable run the whole game if we're releasing in episodes; it's probably possible to get a parameter passed to the EXE or something that will determine which 'episode' it shows, which at least satisfies the intuitive sense there.
  • Possibly work out the thin build/autoupdater script in proper graphical form. The current version works, but dumps output to stdout, which is suboptimal on Windows because it just leaves the user hanging endlessly. This is a lower priority; it was originally conceived of to save us hosting space on Github, but there's really no reason to host the downloads there at all.
  • Comb what we have for minor errors; make sure we aren't releasing something that makes us look incompetent.
More thoughts eagerly solicited below.

Oroboro

Figure out how it's going to be packaged. It's kind of silly having one executable run the whole game if we're releasing in episodes; it's probably possible to get a parameter passed to the EXE or something that will determine which 'episode' it shows, which at least satisfies the intuitive sense there.

This is more of a problem for when "Episode 2" rolls around, isn't it? Something we'll have to deal with eventually, but one we can ignore for now.

QuotePossibly work out the thin build/autoupdater script in proper graphical form. The current version works, but dumps output to stdout, which is suboptimal on Windows because it just leaves the user hanging endlessly. This is a lower priority; it was originally conceived of to save us hosting space on Github, but there's really no reason to host the downloads there at all.

As awesome as this is, it's definitely unacceptable without a proper GUI, and not worth waiting for. Using our space on Github is possible for now since we have enough to spare, but even then, multi-part RARs hosted on Mediafire is almost considered a standard. Making a torrent is also a possibility. (I'm not sure on the specifics of that, but.) Can always offer more than one option as well.

Anyway, as far as everything else goes, I think we're pretty much good to go. Minor error combing of course, but pretty much everything is in place, the music is good, the whole story flows from beginning to end, etc.

Still could use a better logo. I suppose the credits sequence probably needs to be re-worked a bit as well.
Knox's 9th: It is permitted for observers to let their own conclusions and interpretations be heard!

The truth is in red / Theories are blue / Magic is bullshit / But I still love you.

ZeroNull

QuoteFigure out how it's going to be packaged. It's kind of silly having one executable run the whole game if we're releasing in episodes; it's probably possible to get a parameter passed to the EXE or something that will determine which 'episode' it shows, which at least satisfies the intuitive sense there.
One exes. Everything's in one Chapters list. Beginning of the most recent Release is marked somehow / additionally put on top, independent of the rest of the list.
Think of the releases as expansions, or DLCs, if you will, rather than whole new episodes.
Tis a one work we are "publishing". So why artificially dividing it further?

Jason

Quote from: ZeroNull on May 02, 2012, 01:19:33 PM
Think of the releases as expansions, or DLCs, if you will, rather than whole new episodes.
Tis a one work we are "publishing". So why artificially dividing it further?

I'm with ZeroNull on this. I like the idea of expanding the VN that potential users would already have. Besides, I think that for those who want to read specific chapters, why would they want to have to figure out which episode it was in, if they could just have it all in one convenient place? Maybe we could figure out how to have new "episodes" act like software patches where, once applied, the end user has everything in one VN, rather than multiple VNs, each containing a new episode.
If you make something idiot-proof, the world will build a better idiot.

Zfish9

I agree, I like the idea of just updating the VN so it'll include all the chapters. (if all else fails, I was going to do that with my copy at the end.)

alethiophile

Okay. In that case, there should be some code (probably using the persistent-data mechanic) to make the 'start game' button jump to the latest chapter they've read, so they don't have to select it manually. That code can wait until the next episode, though.

ZeroNull

Quote from: alethiophile on May 04, 2012, 07:00:19 PM
Okay. In that case, there should be some code (probably using the persistent-data mechanic) to make the 'start game' button jump to the latest chapter they've read, so they don't have to select it manually. That code can wait until the next episode, though.
Actually, it should be better to insert the new button in the main menu for that purpose.

And while we are at it, rename the existing entries for more novel-reading-feel.
So,  new menu would be "Start from the beginning" (was "Start Game"), "Start from the most recent" (the new one), "Go to the bookmark" ("Load Game"). And, in pause menu, "Save Game" rename to the "Place a bookmark".
To reinforce that it is no game.

alethiophile

Hmm. I agree with the general concept there, but the terminology of saving/loading games is fairly universal in VNs, as far as I can tell. Not sure whether breaking that equivalence is worth the more accurate imagery.