News:

"It occured to me while drunk, so it must have been genius."

Main Menu

Logo

Started by ZeroNull, May 14, 2012, 02:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZeroNull

One of the things we need the most to proceed to the release is the logo.
Current idea for it is that logo will consist of the text "KYON: BIG DAMN HERO" and the silhouette of Kyon with his Badass Greatcoat and beam saber, striking the big-damn-heroic pose.
So, we need to come to the agreement on just what pose it is going to be. Reference pictures are most welcome.

To start it up, here's the bunch of images I threw on the IRC back then.
Silhouettes
good horizontal sword position
Badass Vader pose (black outfit + lightsaber + cape)
Sith Lords do love that pose
YEAH! (I do prefer horizontal sword position images, either stab or overhead swing)
Reference for lightsaber stances
Final Fantasy knows the ways
Ninjas!
And Afro Samurai
And last but not least, The Cliched Epic Sword Stance!

FYI, current attempt is: Text + Pose
IMO, that pose is really not Big-Damn-HEROic enough. What Kyon needs to show is some action'y, badass, maybe even bit cheesy and over-the-top shot to properly convey the awesomeness of the story, not just stand around lost.

So, your thoughts on the logo matter? Poses? References? Or maybe wholly different takes on the logo design? Speak up, your opinion matters.

Filraen

My vote is wither for The Cliched Epic Sword Stance! or the One-handed stance 05 from the reference for lightsaber stances  (bottom row, second picture), which is bassically the same than the YEAH!, like waiting for action.

Image/silhouette taken from the side, obviously.

Oroboro

I'll agree that the current take feels a bit too weak and loose, but I don't really think an action pose fits either. Despite the name, there really isn't a lot of action in KBDH, at least compared to everything else. And there's certainly barely any action in the 5 chapters we're releasing atm. Something that conveys badassness, but in a casual way fits Kyon a lot better.

For what you linked, I like the second sith lord picture ( http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l5vkhb0ZjF1qbb688o1_400.jpg ) but facing more towards the camera.
Knox's 9th: It is permitted for observers to let their own conclusions and interpretations be heard!

The truth is in red / Theories are blue / Magic is bullshit / But I still love you.

alethiophile

I also like that image; it strikes me that it'd work well as a silhouette.

For the record, I'd be just as happy with the current plain-old-text logo. An image would be nice, but let's not hold up release on it for too long.

Specular

If cheesy is an option for the logo, then a "stay behind me" pose could be enough. Maybe something like this with Kyon as the centermost figure in his coat and Kanae in her Kitago uniform just behind him. I think something like the picture below could serve as the logo's composition, with a simplistic drawing of Kanae and Kyon in the aforementioned pose instead of the two character in the middle and the words "Kyon:", "VN" and "Big Damn Hero" replacing "Before", "Crisis" and "Final Fantasy VII" respectively.

Grahf

I like the Before Crisis logo design, but if I may make a suggestion:

Kyon should be in a pose where he looks like he's about to facepalm, but also showing mirth on his face. I think that combination of both exasperation but also clear enjoyment fits his characterization in most matters to a tee.

I know that Kanae is important, but I think that Haruhi should be in the logo as well. I'd say that this has been just as much her journey as it has been Kyon's. I think that having her back to back with Kyon, looking over her shoulder at him with excitement would be good. Kanae could be in front of the two of them since she's a little shorter, and have a look of wonderment on her face.

I just think that the trio of them in those poses would mirror most of the defining traits of K:BDH: heroism, finding happiness, and finding more then you expected.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

alethiophile

It's theoretically going to be a silhouette, so elaborate facial details or people standing in front of each other might not come through so well.

ZeroNull

Well, Final Fantasy shows how good images can be even with limited palette, so maybe we should not be so hung up on the "silhouette" part.

So, currently ideas are Sith Lords favorite stance, The Cliched Epic Sword Stance! / YEAH! and "Stand behind me" then.
Grahf's idea is interesting, but I don't thnik fitting too many characters in one image would pan out well for a logo. Cover picture, maybe. But logo, I think should show Kyon, being Big Damn Hero.
Still, notion that Kanae is one of the most important factors in the story and Haruhi is, well, Haruhi, is good one.

Specular

Quote from: Grahf on May 16, 2012, 04:25:13 AM
Kyon should be in a pose where he looks like he's about to facepalm, but also showing mirth on his face. I think that combination of both exasperation but also clear enjoyment fits his characterization in most matters to a tee.

I like that approach a lot. If the size of image is a problem, the central figure could be limited to Kyon's head and just topmost portion of his coat. In that way the viewer attention will focus on Kyon's facial expression and any one who knows his character's trails will get a least a little curious about it.

ZeroNull

Buuut... Wouldn't that clash with the title. Big Damn Hero, y'know? Sitting right across it?
That kind of image would imply said title is a big damn joke, I think. While in reality Kyon does take (a big number of) levels in heroics in the story. And image should reflect that, I believe.