News:

No longer content with mere attendance, the middle-class suburban poseurs have begun to put their hands in the air and wave them like they just don't care

Main Menu

First release date

Started by alethiophile, May 15, 2012, 03:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alethiophile

It's been a week and more since release candidate time; the goal was to get a release out soon after the candidate. All the to-do items noted when the candidate was released have been satisfied, except a fancy graphical logo which should be the work of a day at most and seems to be basically blocking on a consensus as to what it should be. I'm afraid that if we spend too much more time polishing and hemming and hawing over this, we'll 1. never get it done, and 2. lose contributors through disaffection. Heaven knows I've done as much as I usefully can on the current release, and there's only so many times you can play it through looking for typos in a row before it gets rather tedious.

This being said, I would like to propose that we simply set a date for release, very soon, and on that date just zip up what we have and call it good. Getting a release out (and properly publicized in the right places) will inject some vigor into the project, free up the current contributors to work ahead with new things rather than endlessly going over the same content, and possibly even attract some new help.

It seems reasonable to expect release by next Friday, the 18th of May. Unless there's obvious and significant objection, we should plan to drop a release on that date. The current repository contents are quite good; a graphical logo would enhance the experience, but the current text version is serviceable, and there are no other major outstanding issues that I am aware of. We need to move forward and actually get something out and public.

Oroboro

Knox's 9th: It is permitted for observers to let their own conclusions and interpretations be heard!

The truth is in red / Theories are blue / Magic is bullshit / But I still love you.

ZeroNull

Other than logo, there is an issue of listing our totally voluntary contributors in credits. We should at least mention just where our assets (sprites, BGs, music, fonts ect.) were acquired from, I think.

And, I believe it would be better to roll out the Release Candidate Final (we did change a huge number of things since the first one) before going gold. Like, RCF on Thursday, and then if nothing earth-shattering is found by any helpers, Gold on Friday.

Hm, and when we release, I think we should find a way to put it up on Tokyotosho / Nyaa / other popular anime-related acquisition sites, to raise the coverage. Oh, and on lemmasoft forums / renai.us listing. Community FTW.

alethiophile

Mentioning asset sources in credits is probably a good idea. I'm not entirely sure where precisely all the assets did come from, but people who are should put it in there somewhere.

Not sure there's a point to making yet another release candidate before the release. Just say we're going to release on Friday, and make sure nothing is problematic. People can test just as well either way. (Outside testers would have to do the whole install thing, but it's not as if we ever really had any anyway.)

Sounds good. I'm not really involved in any such forums except here and TVtropes, but if anyone who is wants to mention it there that would be great.

On a side note, we may eventually want to find a place to host that's not 'my Mediafire account'. As-is, I'm planning on taking down the RC build when the release goes up, just so it's not taking up quota.

Zfish9

Woo! releasing today. Now I won't be the only one working on the later chapters (Ignore the fact that I barely did anything for two weeks. That's irrelevant :P)

alethiophile

Jason_Miao

Getting projects done with volunteers is pretty tough, especially a first project - it's impressive to see that you've managed to ship the first product. 

Congrats to everyone!

alethiophile

Okay. It was generally agreed-upon around IRC to release a patch build, 1.01 or similar, in order to correct some of the inevitable Issues We Didn't Get. Was hoped to release this today, but I don't think that's a good idea; I'd like to get a bit more input from everyone to avoid having to do it again. The problems with text styling in the release are corrected, the option to select it is back and the default is now set to plain. The problem brought up on TvTropes with the SFX volume being constantly set has been fixed. Anyone have any other ideas for things to fix up before packaging a patch build?

alethiophile

After far too long, the patch has been (tentatively) released. See the thread on TVTropes for links; I'm waiting on editing the blog post until we're sure there are no more stupid issues. People should look at it and make sure of it.