News:

I have a dream that one day, men will be punched in the face not for the color of their skin, but for the awful content of their character.

Main Menu

Tohou Eisharin Shinko

Started by Halbarad, February 07, 2007, 06:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halbarad

[13:13] <@Hieda_no_Akyu> --------
[13:14] <@Hieda_no_Akyu> It's a quiet day in the Netherworld, the 26th day of the Book Month in the year 120. It's been a few months since the flower incident, and while the Netherworld has since become a bit busier due to the influx of new ghosts, today is a bit quieter than usual.
[13:18] <%Youmu> The Saigyou Ayakashi, as usual, was standing up there, its massive, unblossomed limbs stretching out like a fragrant reminder that the spring was yet to come. Had come, would come again. With not sixty years under her, Youmu had already seen aplenty and felt no great need to see more. But there was work. Lots of work.
[13:19] <%Youmu> The gardens of Hakugyokurou, with their perpetual upkeep, forced the half-ghost to kneel from one knee, clipping, cutting, her hair tattered with a few stray leaves. Only so many more trees to go.
[13:21] <%Yuyuko> Somewhere within the Netherworld, there is a cherry orchard.  Somewhere within that orchard, right now, there is a very special tree and its gardener.  Somewhere else within the orchard is Hakugyokurou, the tower of White Jade.  Somewhere within the tower, the ghostly princess of the Netherworld floats...
[13:22] <%Yuyuko> Today, that last somewhere happens to be on top of the roof, watching her gardener work.  Watching, and waiting.  Waiting... for.... lunchtime.
[13:24] <@Hieda_no_Akyu> And so another idyllic summer day progresses at the gardens of Hakugyokurou, as so many have before. Of late, however, the gardens in particular are a much more lively place than they've been for many hundreds of years before; ever since the incident with the near-bloom of the Saigyou Ayakashi, the barrier to the Netherworld has been weakened, and many people from Gensokyo come to see the amazingly well-kept flowers.
[13:25] <%Youmu> Time, fortunately, was one of the few things out of the depth of the mistress Youmu served. Otherwise, she may have been caught in a perpetual loop, her lifetime reduced to a Sicarian task within the kitchen. Clip, clip, rattle. A momentary sigh. She stood up, surveying the remainder of what there is to do.
[13:27] <@Hieda_no_Akyu> Today is no exception, with a party of children from the human village taking a stroll through the greenery under the watchful eye of Keine. One visitor, however, appears to have missed the turning for the gardens entirely, headed directly for the entrance to Hakugyokurou itself. A rapid rapping on the door to the building sounds a  moment later, the person in question standing on the step of the house with arms crossed impatiently.
[13:28] <%Yuyuko> Somewhere out in the garden, a faint, creepy voice breathes through the wind.  "Youmu... Yoooouuumuuuuuu..."
[13:29] <%Youmu> A head snaps up, Youmu's face a pristine picture of resigned fate. She clutches at the gardening tools in her hands, delicately brushing off whatever debris remains on them and stashes them away. Yuyuko-sama might not be able to control time, but she was certainly keen about measuring it.
[13:32] <%Yuyuko> Butterflies flit by the gardener's head as the voice sighs playfully.  "Aw, found out again.  You're too good, Youmu.  Ah, but we seem to have a visitor today.  Were you expecting company?"
[13:33] <%Youmu> The days were such that she didn't even have to spend time guarding the gate anymore. That had its pros and cons. "No, Yuyuko-sama, I do not usually draw company," she replied deferentially. "Should I greet them?"
[13:35] <@Hieda_no_Akyu> The rapping sounds again, a bit louder this time. The figure - dressed in dark blue, it seems - steps back from the door, looking around for a few moments, before returning to the door to wait again.
[13:37] <%Yuyuko> "Ah, but of course.  We have to keep up appearances now that we're competing with that red house and that yellow house.  Hmm, do you think I should make you a nice outfit like that other gate guard has?  I think a cap might suit you..."  The disembodied voice quickly wanders off-topic, but the incentive to greet the visitor is implicit.
[13:38] <%Youmu> Youmu suppresses the sigh that comes to mind, but it shows on her face anyway. Deftly holding her hand on the hilts of her swords in a ceremonial manner, she wordlessly nods and heads to see who was insistent on visiting the Netherworld, this day.
[13:41] <@Hieda_no_Akyu> As the half-ghost gardener approaches the entrance to the house proper, more details about the figure waiting begin to make themselves apparent. The dark blue that was evident from a distance reveals itself as almost a military-looking uniform, and the figure's short green hair waves as the woman tosses her head impatiently. She doesn't appear to have noticed Youmu quite yet, however.
[13:44] <%Youmu> The appearance didn't ring a bell to Youmu who, aside from her short excursion to steal spring that past... spring, had only so much worldly experience to account for. "This is Hakugyokurou, the shrine of the Netherworld." It was almost as though some hidden power forced her to state the obvious. "Have you come to seek Yuyuko-sama?"
[13:47] <@Hieda_no_Akyu> The figure turns, arms still crossed, and looks at Youmu critically. "I've come looking for a lazy shinigami," replies Shikieiki Yamaxanadu. "Have you seen one around here anywhere?"
[13:50] <%Youmu> There was only one person in all of Gensokyo that fit both "lazy" and "shinigami" at the same time. And with startling clarity Youmu remembers who she was addressing. "Ah... no, if you're asking about Komachi-san, I have not seen her here," she states, a bit respectfully. Appearances, Yuyuko-sama said.
[13:55] <@Hieda_no_Akyu> "Hmm," Shikieiki replies, frowning a bit. "Are you sure? I met several people on the way that said they'd seen her headed this way. I know for certain there weren't any souls waiting to be judged this morning. Again." She sighs a bit at that. "And no sign of Komachi at the river, either."
[13:56] <%Youmu> The prompting let Youmu consider a moment longer. And a bit longer. And a bit longer. In fact, time seems to be slowing down. How odd. But abruptly, she shakes her head. "I do not recall seeing her."
[13:57] <%Yuyuko> At this point, a cheerful young lady with flashy pink hair, a light blue kimono, and an odd hat with a red spiral on it pokes her head out, mercifully relieving Youmu.  "Why, Yama-sama!  How nice of you to visit!  Were you looking for me?"
[13:59] <@Hieda_no_Akyu> Shiki blinks briefly, not quite expecting Yuyuko's sudden arrival. "Not specifically, Princess Yuyuko, but it's a pleasure to see you, of course," the judge of paradise answers, dipping her head briefly to her hostess. "Actually, I was looking for my shinigami Komachi - she seems to have taken an unscheduled holiday, and I'd heard she might have been headed this way."
[14:02] <%Yuyuko> "Ohh, I thought you were giving me a promotion."  Yuyuko Saigyoji, ghost princess of the netherworld, invoker of death, and part-time poet giggles in a manner much unbecoming her status.  "Perhaps you could find her if you took an unscheduled holiday yourself?  You will come in and have some tea, of course!"
[14:05] <@Hieda_no_Akyu> "I suppose I could take a few minutes to enjoy your hospitality," Shiki says, shaking her head a bit at the 'promotion'. "It's been a bit of a journey to get here, especially since I didn't know which way she'd headed at first. But I thank you for your kind offer."
[14:08] <%Yuyuko> "Oh, excellent!"  With a clap and a wave, Yuyuko leads the judge to an interior room and sits at the kotatsu with a gleam in her eye.  "Now, then, Yama-san, what is actually the matter?  Surely you wouldn't have to come all the way out here if your assistant was merely slacking off again."
[14:11] <@Hieda_no_Akyu> "You're correct, although with as often as I've had to go after Komachi to get her working again it's nothing new." Another sigh punctuates the conversation. "More to the point, though, there were almost no souls waiting on the banks of Sanzu no Kawa this  morning. It's hardly the first time Komachi's 'taken a breather' and let her work pile up, but with the 60-year cycle at the point where it is now? The souls should almost be piled on
[14:13] <@Hieda_no_Akyu> top of each other at the river, waiting to get across - they HAVE been, before now. Yet when I crossed the river this morning to find Komachi, there were barely any waiting to cross. I don't know why, but it's very strange."
[14:14] <%Yuyuko> "Well, clearly, Komachi's been doing her job!"  A merry reply with an entirely straight face.
[14:15] <@Hieda_no_Akyu> Shiki just gives Yuyuko an almost dumbfounded look. "Yuyuko-hime, you DO remember what it's like when the 60-year cycle comes around, don't you? I know you've been here more than long enough to have gone through quite a few of them."
[14:16] <%Yuyuko> Straight face, giant grin.
[14:18] <@Hieda_no_Akyu> The green-haired judge of paradise just sighs, placing a hand against her forehead. "Yuyuko, when the cycle hits there are far, far more souls than usual waiting to cross the river to Muen no Tsuka. Usually for several months. And they don't just all stop coming at once like this."
[14:19] <%Yuyuko> The grin fades, replaced with a slight sadness at her joke being lost.  "Well, I haven't been killing many people lately.  Perhaps that's it."
[14:21] <%Youmu> At this cue, a somewhat harried but determined looking gardener slash swordgirl slash cook slash anything-Yuyuko-sama-wants-her-to-be-at-the-time walks in, carrying a tray with a pot of tea and two cups.
[14:23] <@Hieda_no_Akyu> "It does take quite some time for them to reach the Sanzu River," Shiki replies carefully, nodding thanks to Youmu as her tea is poured. "And I'm glad to see you're taking my advice to heart, Youmu-san," she adds as an aside.
[14:23] <%Youmu> Youmu's face cracks a little bit at the statement but remains silent, steam pouring from the tea, evidently not willing to interrupt the conversation. Or perhaps not wanting to.
[14:24] <%Yuyuko> "Ah, well then, clearly the outside world has become peaceful and nobody's dying anymore..."  Yuyuko starts to cheer, but suddenly looks downcast at this prospect.
[14:25] <@Hieda_no_Akyu> Shiki shakes her head, sipping slowly at her tea. "That's not right either. It's not that there weren't ANY souls waiting to be judged, just not nearly as many as there should have been. I was hoping Komachi might have some idea of what happened, which is why I'm out looking for her rather than waiting for her to return."
[14:27] <%Yuyuko> "Hmmmmmmm....  isn't there some sort of Yama for Yama?  Why don't you ask them what's happened?"  Yuyu, too, sips the tea, her ghostly self in flagrant contradiction of physics.
[14:28] <@Hieda_no_Akyu> "Not... specifically, but I should probably ask some of the other Yama if they're seeing the same thing," Shiki muses. "Anyway, you're sure you haven't seen Komachi here at all?"
[14:29] <%Yuyuko> "Hm!"  Yuyuko suddenly rises.  "Komachi-san, Komachi-san, please come out!  Come out, wherever you are!"  She then waits dramatically for a response.
[14:31] <%Youmu> Instead, a half-ghost gardener comes out, having inconspciously disappeared and reappeared yet again, this time carrying a plate of delicate pastries. Freshly baked, from the smell.
[14:32] <%Youmu> She regards the standing Yuyuko with a certain amount of wariness.
[14:32] <@Hieda_no_Akyu> Shiki just sits still in surprise for a moment before shaking her head. "I... don't think she's hiding in your house, Yuyuko-san," the judge says after a moment of silence. "Really, you should try to think about things a bit more."
[14:34] <%Yuyuko> After waiting a bit longer, the ghost sighs in defeat.  "Well, that usually works with Yukari.  Ah, that reminds me, why don't you go to her and ask for the boundary between life and death to be weakened?  Then you'd have plenty of souls to judge!"
[14:35] <@Hieda_no_Akyu> Shiki just rubs her temples at that. "Yuyuko-san, it's fortunate that you aren't a human. If I was in charge of judging you, you'd definitely fall to Hell for your carelessness."
[14:38] <%Yuyuko> "Oh, I know!  Being dead is so fun!"  Yuyuko giggles once more - then abruptly spins around and regards the Yama with utter seriousness.  "Very well, I will accept your request."
[14:38] <@Hieda_no_Akyu> "My... request?" Shiki seems nonplussed. "What request was that?"
[14:41] <%Yuyuko> "The request to find Komachi and fix the oddities in the number of souls, obviously.  Would you also like a jeweled branch from Hourai?"  The ghost fans herself.
[14:43] <@Hieda_no_Akyu> The Yamaxanadu sighs slightly. "I appreciate the offer, but I think just finding Komachi will do. If she's here, I don't doubt she's probably out in your gardens somewhere napping in a quiet spot. You don't need to concern yourself with the strange problems  with the souls,  that's really a matter that I should take up with the other Yama."
[14:46] <%Yuyuko> From somewhere outside, a single florescent butterfly flits in and alights on Yuyuko's hand, where she regards it with a grin that now seems a little sinister.  "My, my, but you've taken it up with me.  I AM the Princess of the Netherworld, after all."
[14:49] <@Hieda_no_Akyu> "...all right, I suppose you are involved, as you put it that way," Shiki says, slumping a bit. "I'm not quite sure what could be causing the change yet, but I'd considered contacting Yukari-san to see if she was aware of any changes in the outside world that might account for it. I believe she's a friend of yours, so perhaps you could speak to her for me while I contact the other Yama?"
[14:51] <%Yuyuko> Yuyuko nods, still grinning.  "Go on back and do your job, Yama-sama.  We'll take care of things.  Won't we, Youmu?"
[14:53] <%Youmu> Youmu nods, her face carefully revealing nothing but stoniness. "Yes, Yuyuko-sama. Shall I arrange a meeting tonight with her shikigami?"
[14:53] <@Hieda_no_Akyu> Shiki just mutters. "I'll get back to doing my job once I can," she grumbles. "Blast that Komachi, I swear I'm going to have to chain her to her boat if this keeps up..."
[14:56] <%Yuyuko> "Mm-m.  It may not be Komachi's fault this time.  Well, I'm sure Yama don't jump to conclusions, though."  Yuyuko's grin turns disarming again.  "Please do finish your tea before you go.  We prepared it just for you."
[14:58] <@Hieda_no_Akyu> "I do appreciate it, Yuyuko-hime," Shiki says, polishing off the last of her cup. "Just come to Muen no Tsuka when you've heard from Yukari, or bring her along if she's willing to come. I'd like to get to the bottom of this problem quickly if I can." Standing, she gives the pair a precise bow. "I'll just have a quick look through the gardens before I go. Thank you again for your help."
[15:00] <%Yuyuko> Yuyuko nods.  "Please drop by anytime.  Thank you for your concern and diligence."
[15:01] <@Hieda_no_Akyu> "And the same for you," Shikieiki replies before departing, stepping crisply out into the gardens with a determined look on her face.
[15:03] <%Yuyuko> There is silence for about twenty seconds.  Then, once Shikieiki is safely out of earshot.... "Youmu, an ADVENTURE!"
[15:11] <%Youmu> "Yes, Yuyuko-sama. An adventure." Youmu's voice carries not the slightest wisp of joy.
[15:13] <%Yuyuko> Yuyuko regards her gardener for a bit.  "Well, I'm sure you'll take good care of things while I'm gone, won't you?"
[15:15] <%Youmu> Youmu's face blanches at that for a moment, the monotone of the situation taken away. "...but! Yuyuko-sama, I cannot let you travel out of the Netherworld for such a long time without being at your side!"
[15:16] <%Yuyuko> This seems to surprise the princess.  "Oh?  But whyever not?  I can just kill whatever gets in my way..."
[15:20] <%Youmu> "...well, yes, but... I am sworn to protect you at your side, Yuyuko-sama. I cannot sway from my duty."
[15:23] <%Yuyuko> "Hmm, but you looked so sad just now."  Yuyuko ponders.  "Oh well, perhaps you're not fully rested from the last adventure.  I suppose we can just let the Yama take care of it.  After all, it's just a grave imbalance in the outside world's flow of souls and a missing shinigami, nothing to greatly worry about."
[15:30] <%Youmu> "...but .. you just told Shiki-sama that we would do this, Yuyuko-sama! Should we not keep up our reputation? Especially to the Yama?"
[15:31] <%Youmu> Youmu's face straightens up some, at Yuyuko's words, resulting in an almost comical look as she attempts to look eager.
[15:31] <%Yuyuko> Yuyuko has stood up, completely ignoring Youmu, and walked out to a window, humming.  "Saku-ra, saku-ra... such a pretty day."
[15:33] <%Youmu> Youmu's face falls for a moment, as she steps over to Yuyuko's side, still pressing the point. "Yuyuko-sama, are you sure we should just ignore the Yama? I can hurry after Shiki-sama and inform her that you are too busy to undertake this task, if need be." Busy. Right.
[15:34] <@Hieda_no_Akyu> Outside the window, both Yuyuko and Youmu can see Shikieiki - and Komachi - out in the garden, the latter rubbing a rather large bump on the back of her head and bowing frantically to the Yama.
[15:34] <%Youmu> "..." Youmu stares, somewhat speechless.
[15:35] <%Yuyuko> "Hmmm?  Oh, Youmu, you're still here?"  Yuyuko surveys the scene below.  "Well, it seems that Yama-sama found what she was looking for after all."
[15:36] <%Youmu> "... ... ah, well... yes, Yuyuko-sama," Youmu makes out, resisting the urge to collapse right there on the floor. She steadies herself mentally, observing the scene with only a passing interest now that the situation was out of their hands.
[15:36] <%Yuyuko> She turns and claps, face alight, then sweeps the gardener up into a hug.  "Great job, Youmu!  Your gardening is so attractive that even slacker shinigamis can't resist coming for flower viewings!  Ahh, you're so wonderful!"
[15:37] <%Youmu> "Nnnn~~!" Youmu is caught in that uncomfortable place between a ghost princess and a hard place. She squirms franctically, a reflexive reaction. "I-- should get back to work, Yuyuko-sama--"
[15:38] <%Yuyuko> "No no no, you should take the rest of the day off and go rest, you seem a little pale.  Think about happy things, like saying 'Yama-sama' over and over.  Yama-sama Yama-sama Yama-sama Yama-sama Yama-sama Yama-sama..."
[15:39] <%Yuyuko> Yuyuko proceeds to pick up Youmu bodily and begin carrying her down the hall.
[15:39] <%Youmu> Something other than Yama-sama rings in Youmu's ears as she tries to slip away. "But--" LIFTED. CARRIED. Her face freezes, then just falls in defeat.
[15:40] <%Yuyuko> And, eventually, dumped on a futon.  "Have a nice nap!"  Yuyuko turns to leave.
[15:41] <%Youmu> As Yuyuko leaves, Youmu brushes by her side again, apparently adamant about that whole "by your side" part.
[15:42] <%Yuyuko> "Ah, Youmu, what's this?  You're feeling energetic again?"  Yuyuko's got *that* smile...
[15:43] <%Youmu> Think. Quick! Youmu's mind whirls! The scene turns a grayish white, a chime sounds in the distance, as Yuyuko's smile is slowed to full and utterly scary perfection! "--Ah, Yuyuko-sama, I still haven't made you a proper lunch. I am attending to that..."
[15:46] <%Yuyuko> "My, my, using such concentration on daily tasks!"  The princess marvels.  "Is there perhaps something you want to do?  Maybe we should go out on an adventure to get some of that out of your system!"
[15:52] <%Youmu> "...no, Yuyuko-sama, I just wish to do my duties, that's all! I have no other... desires." Youmu blanches for a moment again, and then tries to scurry away, in that polite but hurried manner.
[15:53] <%Yuyuko> This leaves Yuyuko to ponder.  "Hm, duties... didn't I hear someone say something earlier about duties to the Yama and keeping up reputations?"
[15:53] <@Hieda_no_Akyu> Outside the nearest window, Youmu can see Keine with the human children, a hand on her hat as she leans over to speak to one of the young ones. Looks a bit angry as well.
[15:55] <%Youmu> Fortunately, they were of no concern to Youmu, at least, not at this very moment. Having temporarily escaped the clutches of her mistress, she heads off to prepare what would, hopefully, be a distracting meal.
[15:56] <%Yuyuko> Youmu will notice, out of the corner of her eye, something with a spiral floating down to join the group of human children...
[15:58] <%Youmu> Oh. Well. What did Yuyuko-sama want with the human children? Youmu hesitates a moment, then, as always, decides to investigate. At her side, indeed.
[16:01] <@Hieda_no_Akyu> Keine is just straightening up from her impromptu lecture as Yuyuko arrives, letting out a short sigh. "Honestly, if you're that hungry we can take a break to get some lunch," she finishes, shaking her head - which brings Yuyuko into sight. The half-hakutaku doesn't miss a beat, though. "Ah, Lady Yuyuko - is there something I can help you with?"
[16:03] <%Yuyuko> Smiling, Yuyuko fans the group towards the white tower.  "Oh, I just heard something about people being hungry.  We're having lunch inside, if you'd like to join us!  I'm sure Youmu's preparing something delicious!"
[16:05] <%Youmu> Frantic footsteps and the sound of doors opening and closing accompany Yuyuko's glorious statement.
[16:15] <@Hieda_no_Akyu> "Oh, thank you very much, Yuyuko-sama!" Keine says with a bright smie, bowing low to her hostess - Yuyuko does note that oddly, her hat doesn't budge during this maneuver, quite a feat. "Everyone, say thank you to Princess Yuyuko!"
[16:15] <@Hieda_no_Akyu> A chorus of children's "thank you's" and bows follows the command.
[16:17] <%Yuyuko> Laughter and smiles bring the crowd inside, then.  Yuyuko shoots a glance at Youmu as she brings out the food.
[16:20] <@Hieda_no_Akyu> As usual for the half-ghost half-human half-gardener half-swordsgirl half-cook half-servant, the meal is quite good, the children and Keine all taking part of the Netherworld's hospitality as the morning winds its way towards afternoon, as it always does. The happy laughter of children is an unusual sound for the gardens of the Netherworld, but not at all an unwelcome one - ghosts hovering around the edge of
[16:20] <@Hieda_no_Akyu> the happy gathering, watching the children (and Yuyuko) at play.
[16:20] <@Hieda_no_Akyu> ------
I am a terrible person.
Excellent Youkai.