Kickstarter Items of Interest!

Started by Iron Dragoon, June 01, 2013, 01:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gtgames/sentinels-of-the-multiverse-oblivaeon

Sentinels of the Multiverse is doing a 'last expansion' thing.  Including buying the whole cardgame collection.  Tempted but I kind of rather prefer doing digital there.
Well, Goodbye.

Merc

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1449928723/moira-0

Still not sure if I'll pledge to this or not, but figured it might be of interest to others here.

"Thoughts/Hesitation": ShowHide
I always tend to hesitate with pledging to video games, especially for low total goals and lots of stretch goals. Seems to be a recipe for disaster.

They're being fairly transparent that it's due to it being the second time they're trying to do a kickstarter (first time failed), that they did some studying into how to try and make it a successful campaign, and that they're not trying to pay themselves full salaries here and mostly it's just some support capital and that they want to get a project out to get their name known.

Fairly helpful to know that sort of stuff up front, though also worrying that as a 5-man team they're giving themselves a 1.5 year window to finish the game. They have a nice demo up, but how much of the game is done already, how much is left to go, and is 1.5 years going to be enough when the money -isn't- a full time salary and you're going to be doing other freelance work to help support yourself? They also said as much that yes, they plan to rely on freelance work to keep them funded.

So yeah, it's a bit of a mixed bag of red flags and transparency coupled with what did look like a fairly solid demo (if simplistic, but not a bad thing for a demo).

For those curious as to what it's about, it's a magic-themed Kirby/Megaman style game where a novice mage with a 'mimic' magic ability can learn new abilities from certain enemies or bosses and combine them for new effects and traveling through an overworld to go to levels and towns.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Dracos

Kinda neat but yeah, most my unfulfilled kickstarters are Game ones. 
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

Well, Goodbye.

Iron Dragoon

This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Iron Dragoon

Dracos

Well, Goodbye.

Yuthirin

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/failbetter/sunless-skies-the-sequel-to-sunless-sea

It's live! And already past its goal!

EDIT: Hurray, funded!
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Iron Dragoon

I know we have a lot of board gamers here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/417979510/board-game-truck

The biggest one is silly, I think, but the medium one looks pretty decent.

Merc

It's been a loooong time since I've looked at kickstarter stuff, but I had my fancy tickled as one of my top 5 board games is apparently getting a reprint: Endeavor: Age of Sail

This is an area board control game, with elements of card drafting and set collection. The one problem with the original print (besides the fact that it went out of print and was hard to find) was that it didn't really play well with less than 5 players, so it was hard to get out and played. There were a few homebrew tweaks for a decent 2 player mode, but I tend to prefer the 3-4 player range, and I never really enjoyed this game in that player count. One of the draws of the reprint is that there's a two-sided board now, with different layouts to support different player counts and player preferences on the tightness of the drafting/collection aspect. So -potentially- it'll be better at lower counts. There's also some 'expansion' aspects as the kickstarter offers an Exploits system to add some variability, and depending on the pledge level, another mini-expansion for 'charter companies'.

There's two pledge levels, one for $53 comes with the base game and the exploits system, and one for $63 that changes some of the cardboard cutouts for fancier pieces and the 'charter companies' mini-expansion.

No idea if that grabs anybody's attention, although the kickstarter ends in about 24 hours, so not a lot of time left.

Another board game that I'm somewhat considering: Kami-sama

From the name alone, you can guess on the theme of the game. You're playing japanese gods in old japan, trying to gain favor with villagers, consolidate your power, spread your influence. Each god has different powers, and it's a different style of area control game than Endeavor. This kickstarter's got about 11 days to go.

I'm a bit more undecided on this one, even though it did catch my eye simply because who knows when I'll have a chance to play it. Been quite a long time since I've honestly sat down to play a board game. On the other hand, it's a game I don't have as opposed to Endeavor which I do own the first print (although I may sell that or give it away if I end up going for the reprint), so who knows. I have some time to think on this one still.

Benedicto

I just put my Pledge for this game: Endeavor: Age of Sail

Merc

Don't recall if it was Drac or Hal that got the original, but there's an expansion to Vast on kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2074786394/vast-the-mysterious-manor

Dracos

I did.  Mmm, kinda don't get a ton of opportunities to play vast.
Well, Goodbye.

Iron Dragoon