Share the music

Started by KLSymph, January 01, 2014, 03:12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

I know not of what you speak~!
Well, Goodbye.

KLSymph

*sees revision*

I am pleased.  Transmitting cybernetic modules.  Do not squander them.

Around, by Oursvince.  Pixel City program by Shamus Young.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Dracos on January 22, 2014, 05:47:29 PM
Shoggoth on the Roof

Original music composed by Jerry Bock. The lyrics for this play were written and arranged by He Who Must Not Be Named For Legal Reasons (no really). Some guy in the seventies gave the lyrics to some people with his blessing on the condition that he never be named.

If you're interested in learning more, you can do so here.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Ergoemos

Shojo S by Scandal is good. All their music is good, really, if you like Japanese punk-rock girl bands.
Battle not with stupid, lest ye become stupid, and if you gaze into the Internet, the Internet gazes also into you.
-R. K. Milholland

Arakawa

I like trailer music. (Good trailer music, not the other kind.) Wakfu looks only mildly interesting (I'm kinda wary of the Gurren Lagann / videogame vibes....), but this trailer has neat music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N3xiJ-mdcc

I'll have to look for the full tracks that this was put together from.

Also, one thing that leaps to my eye about these kinds of French projects is that the French really like them some steampunk....
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Arakawa

Quote from: KLSymph on January 22, 2014, 10:55:17 PM
Pixel City program by Shamus Young.

I gave up trying to estimate the probable population/jobs density of this procedurally generated city. It seems like most cities have small regions of nothing but towers like this, but not a region so large that it stretches to the horizon.... even Manhattan is interspersed with fairly low-rise areas (not to mention it's a narrow constrained island).

Maybe Kowloon is like this, but again, that's a relatively constrained area.

Okay, at the end of the video it says the guy generated 1,700 high rise buildings in the model, which is... really whacked. Compare what this guy tells us:

A quick comparison of Toronto with NYC, Chicago, and London:
NYC: 5850 buildings, 7.7 Million, 634 sq km area
T.O. : 1889 buildings, 2.72 Million, 630 sq km area
Chi : 1130 buildings, 2.69 Million, 606 sq km area
Lon: 584 buildings, 7.83 Million, 1572 sq km area
If you compare the first three cities (because of their similar land area), take a ratio of people to buildings, you discover that Toronto and NYC both have very similar ratios (1317:1 for NYC, 1439:1 for Toronto). Chicago's ratio is 2380:1. Just another way to look at how urbanized we've become.

So, this is what you get if you take _every_ single high rise building in Toronto or Chicago and smush them all into one place at Midtown Manhattan densities. Multiply by five and you get _every_ single high rise building in New York.

(As a sidenote, it always surprises me how spread out London is.)

Sorry about the statistical trivia... um... here, have some guilty pleasures or Cowboys Fringants (whatever those are)!

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

KLSymph

Imagine living in a city with such crowding.  I live with a highrise in front of my window.  It easily takes up 50% of my viewing arc.

Gangnam Style, cover by Pentatonix.

Now imagine the opposite of that.  That's what it's like.

Arakawa

The World God Only Knows is a kind of stupid anime with holy cow mind blowing soundtrack.

Let me try to explain how weird this is.... This is kind of like... if Adventure Time got a soundtrack written by Howard Shore, let's say.

---

(from Wm. Blake)

Anastasia

For those days when you need 8-bit nostalgia and daytime TV nostalgia in one song, have some Price is Right 8-bit theme.

It's strangely catchy. It's probably the nostalgia speaking.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

KLSymph

Dracos

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKVEL_So0oQ The Bravely Default soundtract by Revo is pretty neat.  Linking Serpant Eating the Horizon.
Well, Goodbye.

Music-chan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gQoHmMt_bw

A mashup up Pirates of the Caribbean and Skyrim music. It's really good!  If you follow the link to the guy's website, you can download it.
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

KLSymph

Those are some good, stirring pieces.

Do I have much of that?  I'm too much of a sad piano sort of guy.

Wait, I do have The Titan, by Oscar Araujo, from Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2.

(Edit) ...I can't help myself, so here's a bit of sad piano: Dracula's Theme, from same.

Anastasia

Speaking of Scrooge!

Ducktales: Remastered's Moon theme. It's a nice, nostalgic listen.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?