News:

"With great power comes the opportunity to abuse that power."

Main Menu

Numenera

Started by Rukatin, June 04, 2014, 12:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rukatin

May be starting a Numenera game in the future. Mind you, I have never GMed a game before. Don't know what Numenera is? It's a relatively new roleplaying game. Here's the official site: http://www.numenera.com/ It's a mix of a Fantasy and Science Fiction.
I'm going to need your signature for the metric ton of whoop-ass you're about to receive.

"A 'Cult'? Such disrespect for other people's beliefs."
"You enslave minds!"
"And I believe that's okay."

Anastasia

I can't really commit to this, but I did pass the link around to some other people here.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Merc

I'm browsing through the core book/player's guide. There's some things I like, some I don't... though on the things I don't like, to be fair, my biggest gripe is the fluff text. The core book did -not- need to be 400+ pages. The player's guide which crops a lot of that out is muuuuuuuch easier to swallow.

I'd be willing to give it a shot to playtest things as a player, depending on time availability. I'm in a couple of games, including Dune's, which pretty much takes up my evenings, unless you wanted to run second fiddle to Dune's schedule, which is fairly random.

Without evenings, then unless it was a board PBP game, weekends during the day/afternoon would pretty much be the only time I could put towards this.

(Also, belatedly, welcome to the board, yadda yadda, you've already gotten the welcome from Dune, Drac, et al)
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Rukatin

Yeah I was thinking PBP. My schedule's too unorganized. and yeah, I agree with you on the whole text thing. But it's actually kinda cool if you just sat down and read it.

So yeah, I was thinking a PBP game playtest.
I'm going to need your signature for the metric ton of whoop-ass you're about to receive.

"You enslave minds!"

Rezantis

Not that you know me from your average sack of cheese, but I'm actually pretty curious about this myself.  And PbP tends to be the only thing that works reliably for me of recent times!
Hangin' out backstage, waiting for the show.

Carthrat

Geez Merc, aren't you an engineer? Why hate documentation?

(I'll play!)
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up

Merc

I don't hate documentation. I hate documentation that takes 3 pages to do what could be done in 1 page and still be perfectly clear. =p

I also object to sentences like: "For example, if a character is trained in climbing, she turns a difficulty 6 climb into a difficulty 5 climb. This is called decreasing the difficulty by one step. If she is specialized in climbing, she turns a difficulty 6 climb into a difficulty 4 climb. This is called decreasing the difficulty by two steps."

There's also something silly about the jumping around and inconsistent linking. For example, Effort is mentioned in page 16, and immediately there's a statement saying that it is described in more detail in chapter 8....and right next to it there's a sidebar saying to refer to page 21. If you go to page 21, there it is explained. Meanwhile in chapter 8 (page 86)...there's a quick blurb, and then another sidebar saying to go to page 21. Why was chapter 8 even mentioned again?

So my annoyance is more with the organization of said documentation than anything. It's so inefficient!

Which is perfectly engineer'ish of me, thank you very much! =p
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Carthrat

...alright. That's pretty egregious.
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up

Rukatin

...Yeah. -_-

Alright. I only need like 3-5 people. Anymore and I think that will over-stress my non-existent GMing skills.

"You enslave minds!"

Dracos

Hmmm.  I'm...prepping for another game at the moment.  Am interested, and PbP fits availability at the moment, but not sure I'd find the time to read over that in the next couple weeks.

Maybe if there's a slot for a reserve to join in, after crunch quiets down a bit at the office.  :)  I'll start reading once I hop over the Shadows from Meatspace learning curve.
Well, Goodbye.

Iron Dragoon

If you move past PbP (I am absolutely horrible with PbP), I'll give it shot. So I'm hoping this works out as a test run!
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Rukatin

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on June 05, 2014, 07:14:47 PM
If you move past PbP (I am absolutely horrible with PbP), I'll give it shot. So I'm hoping this works out as a test run!

Really? I would think things would be better with PBP. It gives you more time to think out your actions and such.

"You enslave minds!"

Dracos

It works great for some folks who are really busy, but for others its too removed.  Having to wait minutes to hours to hold a conversation with another player can make things difficult.  Most of the most successful PbP runs I've been in have included pitched overlap times where several players (and the GM) are all posting collectively, and usually sitting in a shared chat.  The group and write a scene to post style works well too, but both get back toward having good shared time to do that with.
Well, Goodbye.

Rukatin

So who do I have so far? I count two yeses and three maybes.

"You enslave minds!"

Rezantis

Count means a yes, please. :)
Hangin' out backstage, waiting for the show.