News:

"I sense a soul in search of answers.  I shalt eat him."

Main Menu

Miscellaneous stuff

Started by Anastasia, April 11, 2015, 02:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corwin

1. I propose we use the rioting to secure the seats of power in the city, our fliers providing overwatch. We've captured the attention of the people, and enough of the regular soldiers chose to follow us that it should go well. We'll use that to secure the holdings of Maggen's top advisors, the granaries and hold the palace. That will give us control of far more food than we currently have. We will, in addition to our earlier claims to the mob, promise to distribute the food the day after to make sure no one in Maggen's realm goes hungry anymore.

I also want to detail soldiers to close the city gates and keep them closed. No loyalists escaping, and we'll contain the news of the coup for a bit.

2. We'll do our best to put a hold to the rioting once we effectively hold the cities and Maggen's cabinet and key supporters are in custody, if the rioters hadn't stopped by then on their own. We'll do this by forming them into groups that provide civic aid and redistribute food. I'll be acting as the new authority behind the city.

3. At first we'll only keep enough of a presence to hold it. Once we've gotten the mob to break up into smaller groups and to act productively, we'll muster a portion of the city guard/army, and clear the palace. T will be on point, along with Amanna to provide healing as needed and Rock for his superior senses. The guy we rescued will also help, in case he knows other spots or heard Maggen taunt him. He should also help us convince any other prisoners that we're legit, while Amanna could Detect Evil them for any infiltrators.

4. Food will be redistributed only after we have control of the city and the mob had been broken up as stated above. We'll distribute enough to last everyone a week and keep the rest in store. That should buy us time to take stock of individual resources and boost the people's gratitude with us so they're more likely to cooperate. Past this initial distribution we'll provide to those who need it the most and try to stretch our stores while waiting on Amanna's friends to come through. I'm picking Teleport for my spell, so I could always go with her, Rock and Cylen to get all we could carry and return swiftly while we wait on their caravans to reach the town normally. Since I don't see bags of holding on anyone's sheet, I'd like to make a deal with whatever mage lives in Arenel. I can outright buy a few if we can't work out something, and will definitely try to buy at least one for me.

Furthermore, we'll repeat our claim of distributing enough food to feed everyone in the realm, not just the city itself. Since we know a lot went there to try and find work to feed their families in the surrounding villages, we'll try to reassure them we're not abandoning their families.

Reopen the city gates once things settle down and we've taken down everyone we intended to.

5. I propose to sack it and use its stores once we're done with the palace in (3). Erad? Aurilites will get the option of surrender.

6. Aside from finding a suitable mage, I want to see who might have been plotting against Maggen. We did find a guy like that before, so it's quite possible there'd be someone here as well. T is well suited for this, and so are Team YukiOnna.

Let's see how our wagon changed!

I can't help but wonder whether Maggen or the Arenel temple of Auril have another piece of my set.

What is the range between Arenel and other spots? Where Amanna says their shipments are likely to be going through, Brent Househaven's realm, Misty Harbor, Warmfolk. We could try a few long-distance visits to look into getting more allies.

I think Emmia mentioned another possible ally somewhere in the area of Warmfolk? I failed to find it in the logs, so can someone double-check?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Nephrite

The only thing I would add to what is proposed is that we get a message to Househaven of our success and perhaps a status check on him as well as on the High Priest back at the Shining Light Cathedral whose name escapes me at the moment. Perhaps via a Sending if we can find someone to do it? Surely there are people who can in the city.

A lot of (5) depends on who we find there -- Erad's pretty sure not every single person who worships Auril is a horrible person and the crackdown on other religions is what kind of set the tone for life in Ailan, so he's against completely destroying it. A lot of this depends on the personalities they'd meet there.

Everything else looks good, reiterating that everyone will get food I think is a good plan.

I will double check on the logs for Emmia.

Corwin

That's actually what Teleport is for. Unless the distance is simply too much.

Auril-wise, she's kind of a bitch. While her clergy might not all be scum to the last, letting it stand and be worshipped for me is similar to you doing that for a temple to Tiamat.  >_>

Nephrite

Somehow I completely missed Teleport in there, good call.

Agreed on Auril being a bitch, definitely. I suppose so long as we're not banning people from worshiping her (although seriously why would you) then Erad's got no real complaints. The temple could probably be hallowed and used for something else.

Also agreed on getting a bag of holding. I'd say Erad will do some shopping but it's likely that we're going to find a bunch of stuff already so we'll see about that after we ransack loot investigate the castle.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on November 25, 2016, 03:45:46 PM
1. I propose we use the rioting to secure the seats of power in the city, our fliers providing overwatch. We've captured the attention of the people, and enough of the regular soldiers chose to follow us that it should go well. We'll use that to secure the holdings of Maggen's top advisors, the granaries and hold the palace. That will give us control of far more food than we currently have. We will, in addition to our earlier claims to the mob, promise to distribute the food the day after to make sure no one in Maggen's realm goes hungry anymore.

Go ahead and list these in order of priority, from the most priority to the least priority. This will matter, so choose wisely.

- Securing power in the city.
- Capturing Maggen's top advisors.
- Getting the granaries under your control.

QuoteI also want to detail soldiers to close the city gates and keep them closed. No loyalists escaping, and we'll contain the news of the coup for a bit.

This will be done assuming nothing derails you there.

Quote2. We'll do our best to put a hold to the rioting once we effectively hold the cities and Maggen's cabinet and key supporters are in custody, if the rioters hadn't stopped by then on their own. We'll do this by forming them into groups that provide civic aid and redistribute food. I'll be acting as the new authority behind the city.

Okay. This will involve various Charisma based checks depending on how precisely you execute this.

Question: On what authority will you take control of the city? Strength of arms? Trying to parley Lord Househaven's writ into it? Claiming the last name of Malana and doing it that way? Something else?

Quote3. At first we'll only keep enough of a presence to hold it. Once we've gotten the mob to break up into smaller groups and to act productively, we'll muster a portion of the city guard/army, and clear the palace. T will be on point, along with Amanna to provide healing as needed and Rock for his superior senses. The guy we rescued will also help, in case he knows other spots or heard Maggen taunt him. He should also help us convince any other prisoners that we're legit, while Amanna could Detect Evil them for any infiltrators.

Okay. Will you be along or are you leaving it to them? This may matter, as you'll likely have a lot of sticks in the fire as it is.

Quote4. Food will be redistributed only after we have control of the city and the mob had been broken up as stated above. We'll distribute enough to last everyone a week and keep the rest in store. That should buy us time to take stock of individual resources and boost the people's gratitude with us so they're more likely to cooperate. Past this initial distribution we'll provide to those who need it the most and try to stretch our stores while waiting on Amanna's friends to come through. I'm picking Teleport for my spell, so I could always go with her, Rock and Cylen to get all we could carry and return swiftly while we wait on their caravans to reach the town normally. Since I don't see bags of holding on anyone's sheet, I'd like to make a deal with whatever mage lives in Arenel. I can outright buy a few if we can't work out something, and will definitely try to buy at least one for me.

Okay to most of that. The Bag of Holding thing will depend on finding one for sale and convincing/forcing them to sell. More on that in session as it'll depend on how some things go.

QuoteFurthermore, we'll repeat our claim of distributing enough food to feed everyone in the realm, not just the city itself. Since we know a lot went there to try and find work to feed their families in the surrounding villages, we'll try to reassure them we're not abandoning their families.

Noted.

QuoteReopen the city gates once things settle down and we've taken down everyone we intended to.

Also noted.

Quote5. I propose to sack it and use its stores once we're done with the palace in (3). Erad? Aurilites will get the option of surrender.

Okay. Are you planning to go in there all PCish and smack them all down, siege it with rioters or try something more exotic?

Quote6. Aside from finding a suitable mage, I want to see who might have been plotting against Maggen. We did find a guy like that before, so it's quite possible there'd be someone here as well. T is well suited for this, and so are Team YukiOnna.

How precisely are you planning on doing that? Lots of GI checks and similar means or something more interesting?

QuoteLet's see how our wagon changed!

Okay. I'd normally do that offscreen, but your time will be so strained IC for the next while that we'll cover it IC once you're over the worst of it.

QuoteI can't help but wonder whether Maggen or the Arenel temple of Auril have another piece of my set.

One way to find out.

QuoteWhat is the range between Arenel and other spots? Where Amanna says their shipments are likely to be going through, Brent Househaven's realm, Misty Harbor, Warmfolk. We could try a few long-distance visits to look into getting more allies.

I think Emmia mentioned another possible ally somewhere in the area of Warmfolk? I failed to find it in the logs, so can someone double-check?

I'd have to check my notes, gimme a bit on that. At worst you can always do multiple teleports as needed.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

Quote from: Anastasia on November 27, 2016, 08:18:26 PM

Go ahead and list these in order of priority, from the most priority to the least priority. This will matter, so choose wisely.

- Securing power in the city.
- Capturing Maggen's top advisors.
- Getting the granaries under your control.

I kind of figured they were tied together. Maggen's top advisors surely hold power in the city, and I doubt he entrusted the food stores to some scrubs.

Can you explain how 'securing power' is separate and distinct from the other two?

Quote2. We'll do our best to put a hold to the rioting once we effectively hold the cities and Maggen's cabinet and key supporters are in custody, if the rioters hadn't stopped by then on their own. We'll do this by forming them into groups that provide civic aid and redistribute food. I'll be acting as the new authority behind the city.

Okay. This will involve various Charisma based checks depending on how precisely you execute this.

Question: On what authority will you take control of the city? Strength of arms? Trying to parley Lord Househaven's writ into it? Claiming the last name of Malana and doing it that way? Something else?

The authority of justice. Ideally I'll kick in the door where a cabal of nefarious minions plots to get away with things and show them the error of their ways.

Quote3. At first we'll only keep enough of a presence to hold it. Once we've gotten the mob to break up into smaller groups and to act productively, we'll muster a portion of the city guard/army, and clear the palace. T will be on point, along with Amanna to provide healing as needed and Rock for his superior senses. The guy we rescued will also help, in case he knows other spots or heard Maggen taunt him. He should also help us convince any other prisoners that we're legit, while Amanna could Detect Evil them for any infiltrators.

Okay. Will you be along or are you leaving it to them? This may matter, as you'll likely have a lot of sticks in the fire as it is.

I'm leaving it to T with strict instructions not to get in over his head.

Quote5. I propose to sack it and use its stores once we're done with the palace in (3). Erad? Aurilites will get the option of surrender.

Okay. Are you planning to go in there all PCish and smack them all down, siege it with rioters or try something more exotic?

Yes. They'll get a demand for a surrender and promise of safe passage to frostier pastures, or the same hospitality Maggen offered his prisoners. I'll note that those dungeons have now gained many vacancies.

Ordinary people won't be there since if the priests decide to fight it out they won't be a match for Auril magic.

Quote6. Aside from finding a suitable mage, I want to see who might have been plotting against Maggen. We did find a guy like that before, so it's quite possible there'd be someone here as well. T is well suited for this, and so are Team YukiOnna.

How precisely are you planning on doing that? Lots of GI checks and similar means or something more interesting?

How about we just ask officers and people who seem like they might know? There's no need to GI the city for hours when we have local allies.

QuoteWhat is the range between Arenel and other spots? Where Amanna says their shipments are likely to be going through, Brent Househaven's realm, Misty Harbor, Warmfolk. We could try a few long-distance visits to look into getting more allies.

I'd have to check my notes, gimme a bit on that. At worst you can always do multiple teleports as needed.

Actually important, spell slots are limited.

Nephrite

Question, the Gauntlets of the Talon state: Provided that you are lawful good, lawful neutral, or neutral good, gauntlets of the talon grant you two primary natural claw attacks that count as magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. Each claw deals 1d6 points of slashing damage (if you are Medium)

Since I have Superior Unarmed Strikes, does this mean it does 1d8 instead (i.e. treating the damage as Large)?

It's a really irrelevant amount of damage either way but I figured I'd ask.

Nephrite

Hey, don't forget the loot from the cavern!

Anastasia

From IRC earlier in the week: > I'm going to post tonight or tomorrow about it, but I'm struggling with B5 on IRC. Not your faults, just my eyes and energy level issues. I'm not sure what to do about it, honestly, I haven't been happy with the slow pace. I don't really want to move it to the boards since my focus for that's about full with B3 as it is.

Right now I'm not sure what I'm doing about this, I've been chewing on it all week. I'm struggling with IRC and energy, but I'm not sure what the answer is. I enjoy B5 by and large, but between B3's heavy footstep for DM time and my own issues, I'm struggling with B5.

More later, but I'm just making sure both of you are aware of this, in case the message on IRC was missed by either.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Sure thing. Do what you need to do.

Corwin

What's the verdict? You need more time to figure things out?

Anastasia

Everything else being the same, meh. I like this game but I'm worried it just doesn't fit into things right now. I mean, honestly? B3's coming up on what's over 5 years of plot towards a payoff for that. That's taking so much time and energy behind the scenes, not to mention running it. Combine that with the above and I'm decidedly meh, and I don't like DMing when I'm meh, since it results in a shitty product.

Meh.

I think I'm going to pause this game for the week, sit down and figure how things are going to change between Cid's game running and B3's pace. I was stalling a week in case Cid's game curtails Saturday gaming for B3, since that'll impact things as it is.

<Afina> Forever.