News:

"Why do you call it soulriders?"
"Because we grind your souls, hopes, and dreams down ... and ride the wave."

Main Menu

Shadowrun - Dipping Toes in Deep Friers

Started by Carthrat, March 20, 2016, 01:42:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carthrat

I'm planning to try out Shadowrun! Nothing too big to kick off with- I figured we could try a sample adventure and see if we like the mood and feel of it all. Shadowrun, if you don't know, is a fantasy/cyberpunk game set around 2070, after a combination of magical mutations and technological advances have made for a perfect storm of crime and revolution throughout the world. Scary-huge mega-corporations have now made serious over inroads on taking over governance, and stand in uneasy parity with national institutions when it comes to social control.

You guys play the titular Shadowrunners, who do dirty jobs for these groups (and others). Working beneath the law and, ideally, outside the pervasive digital scrutiny the characterizes this era, Shadowrunners try to forge their own violent paths in a world that no longer seems to need or want freedom or justice.

I've attached the sample character sheets to this post and added a link to the quick start rules. Check them out and call dibs on which archetype you want to try. Quick summary, though:

Brawling Adept: A martial artist that has harnessed a magical talent to enhance her body; now she can deflect projectiles and stave in your skull with a stick.
Street Samurai: A cybernetic warrior that's as much machine as man, armed to the teeth yet holding an archaic code of honor. Has a katana! Is an orc!
Decker: Almost every device is hooked up to a network these days, and the Decker is the hacker who can take easily take control of those systems. No basement-dweller, he's out there with his friends to get in the thick of it.
Street Shaman: A mage whose connection to the spirits can empower and heal his friends or smite down his foes. Is an elf!

I'm looking to run on a Saturday night (GMT+11), possibly the 26th. I don't think this will take more than one (perhaps longish) session, but we'll play it by ear.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9yyw8an7e3s0xu6/Shadowrun%205th%20ed.%20Quick%20Start%20Rules.1-18.pdf?dl=0 - Quick Start Rules
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zstvxxlrdwonqbn/Shadowrun%205th%20ed.%20Quick%20Start%20Rules.26-29.pdf?dl=0 - Character Sheets
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up

Corwin

I'll give it a try. A 1-2 session game is doable.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Ebiris

Sounds fun to me. Dibs on the street samurai so I can go all Rules of Nature on dudes.

Sierra

Carthrat

Resounding enthusiasm!

We'll start this Saturday at whatever time Cid is willing to wake up at (hopefully somewhere around 9pm for me.) Pick your archetypes before then and have a lookover at what they can do. We'll just wing personalities and such.

Dracos

Tempting.  Are you full up?  Not quite sure how ridiculously late that is for me :)  Curious :D
Well, Goodbye.

Merc

9pm for Rat should be 3am for you, Drac. You gonna be up for that? ;-)
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Carthrat

There's room for one more player, prohibitive as the time may be. (n.b. coordinating across like four continents is hard)

Dracos

I'd super like to...but there's no way I'm going to be sentient for very long at a 3 am start time.  Rock out you guys.
Well, Goodbye.

Merc

Poor Drac. =)

Rat+Cid+Eb+Cor should have been a clue. Origin of the Stars (Cid's last game) had a similar time slot. =)
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Sierra

Rat, I guess martial artist will be me.

Carthrat

Ok, I will be aiming to run this thing on the second of April.