News:

"Our arrogance is our power."

Main Menu

Savage Worlds

Started by tabyk, September 26, 2016, 12:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tabyk

Got introduced to the Savage Worlds game system three months ago, an really liking it so far.  It's a universal system (like BESM, GURPS or Palladium) in that you just plug a genre into it and off you go.  Am currently playing a Savage RIFTS game, and am poking at a fan-made Savage Shadowrun adaptation that I found.  Am really liking the simple / quick rule system, less time looking up rules and more time actually storytelling and doing stuff.
"ZenCrafters!  Total enlightenment... in about an hour."

Anastasia

I've seen it a bit and it looks okay, though a little rules light for my tastes. I prefer things a little more focused rather than genre neutral, as I feel good rules for a genre are a big help at making a system work right.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

tabyk

I understand your point, however, for me (who still struggles with trying to understand all that is Shadowrun 5th Edition) there are times in which being a little light is preferable to being just a tad too heavy.  :-)
"ZenCrafters!  Total enlightenment... in about an hour."

Anastasia

Yeah, and I have a reasonably high tolerance for rules (even when not needed), since I cut my teeth on 2nd edition AD&D. It's all relative.
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

Having played with many (decent folks) who were weren't smart enough to deal with rules heavy, it is good that balance exists.
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

Quote from: Dracos on September 29, 2016, 11:54:25 PM
Having played with many (decent folks) who were weren't smart enough to deal with rules heavy, it is good that balance exists.

For all I tend to prefer rules heavy, I don't think smart is quite the right word. It's more of a knack (natural or learned) of dealing with a lot of rules. Some people don't have it.
<Afina> Forever.