News:

I have a dream that one day, men will be punched in the face not for the color of their skin, but for the awful content of their character.

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Each player is now a moderator of their game board. This is mostly for the sake of thematics and in the unlikely event you need those permissions.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on May 23, 2019, 02:07:25 AM
Throwing this up because I feel like there needs to be something between 8 and 14 for this sort of perception type deal.

Archmage's Prying Eyes
Divination
Level: Sor/Wiz 11
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: One mile
Effect: Ten or more levitating eyes
Target: Personal
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell functions exactly as Prying Eyes, Greater except the eyes report what they see as the spell Telepathic Bond, limiting the number of eyes to 1d4+1 per 3 caster levels (to a maximum of +6).

The target is never flatfooted. The eyes gain a Hide modifier equal to the target's Caster Level. The eye's maximum Spot modifier is +35 instead of +25.

Archmage's Prying Eyes
Divination
Level: Sor/Wiz 11
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: One mile
Effect: Two or more levitating eyes
Duration: 1 hour/level

This spell functions exactly as Prying Eyes, Greater except the eyes report what they see as the spell Telepathic Bond, limiting the number of eyes to 1d4+1 per 3 caster levels (to a maximum of +6).

The target is never flatfooted. The eyes gain a Hide modifier equal to the target's Caster Level. The eye's maximum Spot modifier is +35 instead of +25.

That's fine, we can try that. Look good?
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Iron Dragoon

Speaking of Archmage's Prying Eyes, I'd like to take it as a permanency thing. Yes/No?

Iron Dragoon

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Any issue with Alyssa learning the mental partition spell from either Emily or Dolmaya?

Anastasia

So embarrassing story time. I was supposed to make Dolmaya this weekend. Guess what I didn't do?

Nailed it. No idea where the todo went, somehow it slithered out of my mind entirely.

I'm gonna be slow today because I'm doing that on the side.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Speaking of, you were also going to do a new realm development thing too.

Nephrite

So spell theft is a cool spell that I didn't realize existed when I was trying to come up with a custom spell. Go figure.

It's in Complete Scoundrel if you need to look it up. It's also a Bard 4 and Sorc/Wiz 5 spell with a dispel check max of +15, which is kinda not great.

This is my take on a strong but more narrow version of the spell. I do not know if it's balanced, but I thought I'd try it out. If one were to just make it a more buff version of Spell Theft, I think that'd be okay, but I'd probably say in that case you make the dispel check maximum 30. Also, I think it'd be fair for Magic domain folks to get access to it, but YMMV on that.

Moore's Modified Spell Theft
Abjuration
Level: Bard 8, Hexblade 8, Sorc/Wiz 10
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target or Area:   One creature
Duration: Instantaneous

This spell functions like spell theft, except as described here.

You may choose to make a dispel check (Maximum +40) against any spell that target has, plus one additional spell per 10 caster levels. Any spell dispelled is treated as if affected by spell theft, with the same limitations.

Corwin

If I understand it correctly, Summon Monster is a Good/Evil/Chaotic/Lawful spell if the creature summoned with it is an outsider with the corresponding alignment.

What if you summon a Fire creature? Does Summon Monster become a Fire spell?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Ebiris

Yes.

QuoteWhen you use a summoning spell to summon an air, chaotic, earth, evil, fire, good, lawful, or water creature, it is a spell of that type.

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on May 28, 2019, 01:26:19 PM
Speaking of, you were also going to do a new realm development thing too.

I'll roll it out after this big thing, I think. You sorta got swept into events.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on May 28, 2019, 07:21:43 PM
So spell theft is a cool spell that I didn't realize existed when I was trying to come up with a custom spell. Go figure.

It's in Complete Scoundrel if you need to look it up. It's also a Bard 4 and Sorc/Wiz 5 spell with a dispel check max of +15, which is kinda not great.

This is my take on a strong but more narrow version of the spell. I do not know if it's balanced, but I thought I'd try it out. If one were to just make it a more buff version of Spell Theft, I think that'd be okay, but I'd probably say in that case you make the dispel check maximum 30. Also, I think it'd be fair for Magic domain folks to get access to it, but YMMV on that.

Moore's Modified Spell Theft
Abjuration
Level: Bard 8, Hexblade 8, Sorc/Wiz 10
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target or Area:   One creature
Duration: Instantaneous

This spell functions like spell theft, except as described here.

You may choose to make a dispel check (Maximum +40) against any spell that target has, plus one additional spell per 10 caster levels. Any spell dispelled is treated as if affected by spell theft, with the same limitations.

No problem with it, but the maximum dispel check is a bit out of line for the level of spell. I'd expect to see 30 or so there.
<Afina> Forever.