DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Have a Dolmaya preview.

Aura of confidence + epic fatemaker progression + feats below =

Widen Aura of Confidence [Epic]
Prerequisite: Aura of Confidence (+4), cha 25
Benefit: Your aura of confidence now affects all allies within 30ft of you.

Improved Aura of Confidence [Epic]
Prerequisite: Aura of Confidence (+2), cha 21
Benefit: The benefit granted by your aura of confidence increases by +1.
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects stack.

Supreme Confidence [Epic]
Prerequisite: Aura of Confidence (+4), cha 25
Benefit: Your confidence is so great that it rallies those close to you to greater heights. Your aura of confidence ability now applies to weapon damage rolls and armor class.

Dolmaya grants a +9 morale bonus to attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, armor class, saves and skills to all allies within 30ft.

As a mage who prefers rays, arrows and generally staying out of melee, Dolmaya's long since been annoyed by ray deflection. While dispelling it is one option, here's another. It's best used with ignore material components, which she has.

Dolmaya's Force Ray
Abjuration/Evocation [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 8
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25ft + 5ft 2/levels)
Effect: Ray
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

A ray of pure force comes from the lens in your hand towards the target, striking them requires a ranged touch attack roll. This spell does 1d6 points of damage per caster level (maximum 20d6). If the target is protected by ray deflection, treat that spell as being dispelled as if by greater dispel magic (maximum dispel check +25). If the ray deflection spell is dispelled, this spell is not reflected away and resolves normally.

Material Component

A glass lens worth no less than 100 gold.

As someone with a large amount of sneak attack and who prefers to fight at range, Dolmaya also struggles with the 30ft limit for ranged sneak attack. Sniper's shot and other spells can help, but sometimes resources run tight. So she has this feat to help, as she wants to be able to keep more distance between her enemies and still hit hard.

Rogue's Ray [Epic]
Prerequisite: Split Ray, Weapon Focus (Ranged Touch), sneak attack+5d6, dex 19
Benefit: When you make a ranged touch attack with a ray spell, the range on which you may apply your sneak attack damage increases 30ft.
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects stack.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Nephrite

Quote from: Anastasia on May 30, 2019, 06:51:23 PM
No problem with it, but the maximum dispel check is a bit out of line for the level of spell. I'd expect to see 30 or so there.

So, I picked 40 only because it was limited in scope moreso than Superb Dispelling is, since it can't get everything someone has and basically gets 3-5 spells. Let me just do some quick checks here...

Dispel Magic, +10, Sorc/Wiz 3
Spell Theft, +15, Sorc/Wiz 5 (weird jump here, but whatever)
Greater Dispel, +20, Sorc/Wiz 6
Magic Disjunction, +30 (I think?), Sorc/Wiz 9
Superb, +40, Sorc/Wiz 11

So if you pretend that there was a "Moderate Dispel Magic" that was at +15, it'd probably be Sorc/Wiz 4? I don't know, I don't want to derail this too terribly.

I think if we did it at +30, that would be okay, but I'd like to raise the potential number of spells stolen in that case, which I think is a fair compromise. Do you have any objection to seeing the average number of attempts going from, say, 3-5 (if we assume CL 35 or something, which is 1+3) to like, 6-8? (So it'd be 1 spell + an additional 1 per 5 CL instead (which if we use CL35 is 1 + 7)

Nephrite

And, since we're on the subject, would you consider dropping Superb Dispelling to Bard 10? It is always at least 1-2 levels lower than the other caster versions, and I feel like it being 11 is a smidge high.

I am aware of my biases here.

Anastasia

Yeah sure, we can try that.

Edit: To your first post about spell theft.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on May 30, 2019, 07:18:28 PM
And, since we're on the subject, would you consider dropping Superb Dispelling to Bard 10? It is always at least 1-2 levels lower than the other caster versions, and I feel like it being 11 is a smidge high.

I am aware of my biases here.

Is it 11s across the board as it is?

What level do bards get dispel and greater dispel at?
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Quote from: Anastasia on May 30, 2019, 07:29:47 PM
Is it 11s across the board as it is?

What level do bards get dispel and greater dispel at?

Dispel Magic: Brd 3, Clr 3, Drd 4, Magic 3, Pal 3, Sor/Wiz 3
Greater: Brd 5, Clr 6, Drd 6, Sor/Wiz 6

And yes, Superb is currently

Brd 11, Clr 11, Drd 11, Duskblade 11, Hlr 11, Magic 11, Sor/Wiz 11

Nephrite

Moore's Modified Spell Theft
Abjuration
Level: Bard 8, Hexblade 8, Sorc/Wiz 10
Components: V, S
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target or Area:   One creature
Spell Resistance: No

This spell functions like spell theft, except as described here.

You may choose to make a dispel check (Maximum +30) against any spell that target has, plus one additional spell per 5 caster levels. Any spell dispelled is treated as if affected by spell theft, with the same limitations.

Anastasia

Dolmaya's up.

Node adjustment for her soon, more later. Her custom material will be checked over in the morning before being final and put into the collection. If you catch any errors in them, let me know.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Thanks, guys! Summoning-wise, are there templates for the elemental creatures the same way they exist for celestial/fiendish and similar?
Could you summon a fiery dire lion instead of a celestial one? Or are elemental summons just the (small/medium/etc) elementals?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

Spoiler: ShowHide

Quote from: Anastasia on March 20, 2019, 10:37:36 PM
Quote from: Corwin on March 15, 2019, 06:45:21 PM
There's a couple spells that I want to get my own variants of.

First, this one, where the only change is to the energy type.

Seira's Fiery Leap (Lightning Leap)

Transmutation [Fire]
Level: Sorcerer/wizard 5
Components: V
Range: Personal and 60 ft.
Target/Area: You/10-to–60-ft. line
Saving Throw: None and Reflex half
Spell Resistance: No and Yes

With a sudden flash, you find yourself standing on the other side of the battle, leaving a smoking trail behind you.

You transform yourself into a stream of plasma. This line can be of any length from 10 feet to 60 feet, measured in 5-foot increments. You reappear in any square adjacent to the last square entered by the line, along with any gear worn or carried (up to a maximum of your heavy load limit). You can't bring along other creatures except for your familiar.

The line deals 1d6 points of fire damage per caster level (maximum 15d6) to anything in its area. A successful Reflex save halves this damage, and spell resistance applies.

For this one, I took out the part about not making attacks of opportunity and removed the saving throw corresponding to it. If I read the original spell wrong and the save was also for the flanking aspect, I'd prefer to price it higher to compensate. Also, it gained a thematic change as well.

Seira's Phantom Battle (Phantom Battle)
(Player's Handbook II, p. 120)

Illusion (Figment)
Level: Sorcerer 4/Wizard 4
Components: V, S,
Area: 20-ft.-radius spread
Duration: 1 round/level

You create an illusory horde of snarling reds and proud gold dragons locked in battle.
Creatures in the area move cautiously as they are caught up in the phantom melee.
This spell creates the illusion of a fierce battle.
Your enemies move cautiously, since the roar and confusion of the battle distracts them.
All creatures within the area are considered flanked.
A creature ignores this effect when it leaves the spell's area.
A phantom battle spell produces noise appropriate to fierce dragons locked in battle.
Anyone in the battle can plainly see that the conjured dragons are no threat, since they strike solely at their brethren, but the din, tumult, and confusion make it difficult to focus on the true foes at hand.
When you cast this spell, you can choose for it not to affect a number of allies you designate less than or equal to your caster level.

I kept on going back and forth with you on this spell, and since it went nowhere I decided to go for the original Pathfinder option. Of course, if that was an oversight and you actually approve of my revision in that link, that's even better.

Seira's Healing Flames
Conjuration (Healing) [Fire, Good]
Level: Clr 4, Pal 4
Components: V, S, DF
Area: 10-ft.-radius burst, centered on you
Saving Throw: Reflex half; see text;

You unleash a blast of holy flames that washes over all creatures in the area in a glorious display of divine power. This deals damage to evil creatures and heals good creatures in the area. The amount of damage dealt and the number of hit points restored in each case is 1d8 points per 2 caster levels (maximum 5d8).

Half of the damage this spell deals to evil creatures is fire damage, and half of the damage is pure divine power that is therefore not subject to reduction by energy resistance to fire-based attacks.

Neutral enemies within the spell's area of effect also take the fire damage, but do not take the divine damage. Neutral allies within the area are healed by half as much as good creatures. A successful Reflex saving throw halves the damage taken in all cases.

A fire version of Lightning Leap is fine, you use that enough that you may as well make it distinct.

Rest doesn't seem objectionable offhand. If I missed anything, someone speak up.

Reminder to add these spells to Spell Compendium. Seeing Dolmaya's spells reminded me that they weren't listed.

Corwin

Quote from: Anastasia on March 20, 2019, 07:09:38 PM
Quote from: Corwin on March 17, 2019, 01:43:48 PM
Inspired by Fireburst and Disintegrating Burst

Seira's Fireburst

Evocation [Fire]
Level: Sor/Wiz 10
Range: 5 ft.
Effect: Burst of fire extending 5 ft. from you
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial (object)

This spell functions like fireburst, except that it deals 2d12 points of fire damage per caster level (maximum 40d12).

A creature or object that makes a successful Fortitude save is partially affected, taking only 8d12 points of damage.

Any creature or object reduced by this spell to 0 or fewer hit points is burnt into ashes.

Seira's Fireburst
Evocation [Fire]
Range: 5ft
Effect: Burst of fire extending 5ft from you
Saving Throw: Reflex half (object)

This spell is similar to fireburst, dealing 2d10 points of fire damage per caster level (maximum 40d10). Creatures or objects that make a successful Reflex save only takes 5d10 points of fire damage instead.

Any creature slain by this spell or object destroyed by this spell is reduced to ashes.

---

Odd duck of a spell, no two ways about it. We'll see how this revised version works out and revisit it once we have in game experience with it. The saving throw was changed to Reflex to better suit how the spell works thematically.

We'll see how this one works out.

This spell as well.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on May 30, 2019, 07:41:06 PM
Moore's Modified Spell Theft
Abjuration
Level: Bard 8, Hexblade 8, Sorc/Wiz 10
Target or Area:   One creature
Spell Resistance: No

This spell functions like spell theft, except as described here.

You may choose to make a dispel check (Maximum +30) against any spell that target has, plus one additional spell per 5 caster levels. Any spell dispelled is treated as if affected by spell theft, with the same limitations.

Adding to the spell collection.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on May 31, 2019, 03:59:23 AM
Thanks, guys! Summoning-wise, are there templates for the elemental creatures the same way they exist for celestial/fiendish and similar?
Could you summon a fiery dire lion instead of a celestial one? Or are elemental summons just the (small/medium/etc) elementals?

Not precisely, there's things like half elemental. Unless there's a variant that allows it, I can't think of any that do what you want. Check Sandstorm and Frostburn's feats, they might have something like that.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on May 31, 2019, 04:15:59 AM
Quote from: Anastasia on March 20, 2019, 07:09:38 PM
Quote from: Corwin on March 17, 2019, 01:43:48 PM
Inspired by Fireburst and Disintegrating Burst

Seira's Fireburst

Evocation [Fire]
Range: 5 ft.
Effect: Burst of fire extending 5 ft. from you
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial (object)

This spell functions like fireburst, except that it deals 2d12 points of fire damage per caster level (maximum 40d12).

A creature or object that makes a successful Fortitude save is partially affected, taking only 8d12 points of damage.

Any creature or object reduced by this spell to 0 or fewer hit points is burnt into ashes.

Seira's Fireburst
Evocation [Fire]
Range: 5ft
Effect: Burst of fire extending 5ft from you
Saving Throw: Reflex half (object)

This spell is similar to fireburst, dealing 2d10 points of fire damage per caster level (maximum 40d10). Creatures or objects that make a successful Reflex save only takes 5d10 points of fire damage instead.

Any creature slain by this spell or object destroyed by this spell is reduced to ashes.

---

Odd duck of a spell, no two ways about it. We'll see how this revised version works out and revisit it once we have in game experience with it. The saving throw was changed to Reflex to better suit how the spell works thematically.

We'll see how this one works out.

This spell as well.

Added.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quick IRC heads up: Netsplit, bounced me to the other one, Cor.
<Afina> Forever.