DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corwin

They promised to provide me with all information they have on the daoin.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

That shall make a lovely weekend project before the Infinite Shadow gets finished up.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Refresher on what you already know.

The Daoin are a long, long, long forgotten crossbreed of dao and mortals from an ancient Prime. Long and longer millions of years have passed since they roamed the Prime and the planes. The mortals they were born from were an unusual crossbreed of dwarves and elves, ones known for growing underground forests. In time these crossbreeds came under the influence of the dao, and that lead to the birth of the Daoin. What lore survives suggests they were unusually talented with any magic relating to stone and strength, as well as endurance.

Thus, finding a still living Daoin would be a trick and require investigation to find if one's even still out there somewhere.

---

The daoin were happenstance.

Reading the documents provided, Seira can discern that it was a minor dao trader who established himself amid the soon to be daoin, and grew to enjoy their women very much. He invited his friends and others, and in time more and more brides were taken and bastards sired on the side. The strange crossbreed of dwarf and elf blood took to dao blood like a missing component and soon the daoin emerged.

The trader, said to be named Estafara but the records are somewhat inconsistent on the spelling, is said to have made a fortune but faded away within a century's time. The daoin remained a time and proved greatly adept with earth, stone and strength. Strength and endurance in particular, though they explored many avenues of magic. They wrought wondrous things with the greatest of them, including a daoin known as Ragaz.

It is ironic then that they fell so quickly. A devious, hateful marid named Egla tricked a power hungry daoin into opening a permanent portal to Water - which flooded the daoin underground forests and cities. Egla did not survive her treachery, Ragaz defeated her and brought her soul to the Great Khan, where it is said even now it screams in torment for the insult. Nonetheless the daoin were shattered by this catastrophe, never to recover.

It's said a few of the strongest were able to make one of the forests into a demiplane, one that may even still exist - and perhaps the few daoin if they found a path to eternal life. To find it requires both finding a forgotten, dead Prime, finding the portal and finally finding a key to open the portal - or being sufficiently powerful to force it.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

This is the final version I'm going with.

Crystalle's Barrage
Evocation
Level: Sor/Wiz 12
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Short (25ft + 5ft 2/levels)
Targets: 3 creatures a round; see text
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

When you cast this spell, you are surrounded with one sphere per three caster levels (maximum 15 spheres). Each sphere is a smooth crystal about 10 inches in diameter. Each round on your turn as a standard action, you can send up three spheres at creatures within range of the spell. You can send the spheres at the same target or divide them up between multiple targets. Each sphere requires a ranged touch attack to strike their target. On impact the spheres shatter, dealing 12d6 points of piercing damage per sphere. There is no saving throw allowed, but damage reduction applies. The spheres count as piercing and epic to overcome damage reduction.

For every two spheres the caster is surrounded by, they gain a +1 shield bonus to armor class. A sphere can be sundered, each sphere has an armor class of 20, hardness 10 and 20 hit points.

Unused spheres vanish when the spell expires.

Material Component

A small fragment of quartz from a mineral elemental of elder or higher status.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

This is going in the collection. It's a hard spell to pin down since it's such a huge radius, but it's at least better than moonrise. Sorry Selune, sunlight's just more useful. Since it's an epic spell that's only available from domains, I'm not too worried about it and it can easily be corrected.

Sunrise
Conjuration (Summoning) [Good]
Level: Sun 12
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: Special; see text
Area: 5 mile radius, centered on you
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: Will negates; see text
Spell Resistance: No

This spell banishes the night and calls for Lathander to rise. When this spell is cast, you cause day to immediately break and the sun rises to high noon. This sun sheds real sunlight and has the normal effect of sunlight on any creatures exposed to it, including those vulnerable to it, such as vampires.

In addition to the above, the area within the radius of this spell is treated as consecrated. You count as an altar for the sake of this spell, doubling the effects of consecrate.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Thoughts on this one, anyone?

Prismatic Bomb
Evocation
Level: Radiance 11, Sor/Wiz 10
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Long (400ft + 40ft/level)
Area: 30ft radius burst
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell affects all creatures within range as by prismatic spray, except they roll three times and take the effect of each roll. A color can affect a creature more than once. Rolls of 8 function as normal and multiple rolls of 8 stack, rather than being ignored.

The colors that strike the creatures are determined randomly, and are not affected by metamagic such as maximize spell or similar things.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Area is a little small, but considering the effects I think it's still fine? I mean, if you drop that on pretty much any clustered group they're going to Have A Bad Time.

Anastasia

Oh sure, it's random as anything though. It's one of those spells I'd really want to see how it works in practice versus reality.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Prismatic Bomb is added to the collection.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Loot stuff and nodes should be update later this afternoon, ideally before evening session. This was not a good morning for me.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Just a quick thing, but are we having a netsplit on IRC right now? I was offline most of the night so I can't tell.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Gear Improvements Through Nodes

If you're reading loot recently, you saw a discussion between Seira, myself and Alicia bout improving artifact and gear in general. As such, I'm implementing another aspect to nodes. Namely, that for each 5 node goals you clear, you can improve a piece of equipment. This is meant to cover the equipment that you use regularly, not something you randomly grab (unless you intend to use it going forward). This improvement can be any of the following:

- Increase the enhancement bonus of a weapon, armor or shield by +1, or get an equivalent +1 special ability such as frost, flaming or so on. Multiple improvements can be used to purchase special abilities that cost more than +1, such as using two to get a +2 special abiilty. For upgrades that cost just some GP, talk to me. Most will be +1 or even less if you want a few cheaper improvements in place of a +1.

- Upgrade an existing non weapon, armor or shield item. This will be fairly flexible, talk to me. Generally, an improvement won't be worth more than 1/2 of the item's existing value or so, but this won't be perfect so I'll be flexible. This more for giving something expanded powers that fit or otherwise need to be improved.

These will be awarded retroactively based on the number of node goals you've already cleared and can be claimed at any point where you're not in an active adventure. I may adjust these numbers depending on if 5 ends up feeling too high or too low, points will be awarded retroactively if a change means you get more, though I won't take any away if it ends up going to a higher number than 5.

Thoughts?
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Anastasia

Yeah, the idea seems good, it's just nailing down the right rate.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Morning todos done:

- Headway on updating build charts. I've done Antenora and Latha. This one isn't urgent and can't finish until levels are done any which way, so I'm only going to do one or two a day, space it out.
- Updated Donald's spells per day for increased Intelligence.
- Greater Fire Storm is now the Sun 13 domain spell.
- Behind the scenes shenanigans.
<Afina> Forever.