News:

"It occured to me while drunk, so it must have been genius."

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on February 14, 2020, 11:30:03 AM
I'm sure at some point of B1 I was LG, and a lot of other things! But blessed neutrality is where I'm at now. Gonna go change the sheet.

I'm just going crazy then.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on February 14, 2020, 11:58:46 AM
According to my understanding of Divine Metamagic, if I'm picking it with Maximize Spell I will normally need to pay 4 (1+3) turning uses to maximize some memorized regular spell without changing the spell level.

Right so far.

QuoteIf I have stuff like Improved Metamagic x2 that lowers the spell level raise of Maximize Spell from +3 to +1, would that means I can maximize some regular memorized spell for 2 (1+1) turning uses?

DM judgment call territory. I'd rule no just to reduce abuses of divine metamagic. I'll make a few house rule updates to divine metamagic, amazed it's never made it in there.

QuoteWhat about epic metamagic feats like Enhance Spell? Can Divine Metamagic be chosen to work with an epic metamagic feat?

There's nothing in the feat that says it can't. I'd allow it if I allowed divine metamagic in the first place. Hold that thought, about to go make sure divine metamagic isn't in there in the first place and do some updating. I'd forgotten about that feat somehow.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

8. Regarding Divine Metamagic. While it's not outright banned, it can be abused. If you take this expect a chat with me and a DM judgment call on if I'll allow it. DMM-Persist isn't happening.

From the General rulings, clarifications and miscellanea tab. So if you're interested about it, post so and run through how you'd use it, and I'll make a judgment call.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

I was basically thinking that I could use it with either Widen Spell to be able to widen anything if I need it, or with Enhance Spell to enhance my top slots (ie Enhanced Lightning's Rise which I can't memorize right now since I only have lvl14 spells).

I'm not interested in Persist or Quicken, if that matters, and probably not in Empower or Maximize.

I do wish that Improved Metamagic and other metamagic cost reducers applied, or the value of this feat drops drastically.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Divine Metamagic (Not 100% banned, but subject to automatic DM review and I seldom allow it. DMM-Persist is auto rejected.)

This is now in banned feats as a note, essentially a crosspost from misc rulings.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

I presume the writeup of Intensify Spell means it cannot work with Maximize Spell or Empower Spell. What about Twin Spell or Split Ray? Can there be a Twinned Intensified spell?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on February 14, 2020, 02:08:18 PM
I presume the writeup of Intensify Spell means it cannot work with Maximize Spell or Empower Spell. What about Twin Spell or Split Ray? Can there be a Twinned Intensified spell?

Twin Spell would work with it RAW and Split Ray is arguable, but I'd rule case by case basis and if the number of rays a spell does is a variable, numeric quality of that particular spell. Usually it isn't and it's just a set number of rays, but exceptions exist.

Fair warning: I'm pretty sure Twin + Intensify + metamagic discounts can get out of hand. Expect rulings if you push this too far, it's right on the border of what I may allow when I look at the stronger uses of it. For reference, Dolmaya's shenanigans are right around what I consider the limit for that sort of thing. Side note: I may remove split ray from the mix for her for that reason.

Quote from: Corwin on February 14, 2020, 12:13:22 PM
I was basically thinking that I could use it with either Widen Spell to be able to widen anything if I need it, or with Enhance Spell to enhance my top slots (ie Enhanced Lightning's Rise which I can't memorize right now since I only have lvl14 spells).

I'm not interested in Persist or Quicken, if that matters, and probably not in Empower or Maximize.

I do wish that Improved Metamagic and other metamagic cost reducers applied, or the value of this feat drops drastically.

No to divine metamagic. I'm going to rule it soft banned in B6, the optimization level's high enough without adding that into it. Frankly, with improved metamagic being in the mix as well as automatic metamagic, I see very little reason to add more ways to get around metamagic costs.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Luck Domain: Replace the domain granted powe with the following: Once per day you can bestow good luck onto yourself or a creature you touch. This grants a +2 luck bonus to attack rolls, armor class and skill checks for 1 minute.

In other words: Touch Marie, get lucky. Seems to work out well for Antenora.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Alicia goes up to Divine Rank 4
She takes the Salient Ability Extra Domain for Creation.
This gives a bunch of SLAs and +1 CL to conjuration spells.
+1 divine bonus to AC, +1 natural armour bonus to AC.
+1 divine rank bonus to skills, attacks, saves, and checks.
+1 to all her stats (only strength is odd)
+10 feet to her divine aura's radius and +1 to its DC
+1 to silver fire DC.

Anastasia

Antenora reaches divine rank 2.

- Strength, Constitution, Intelligence and Charisma modifiers all rise.
- Antenora takes swimming lessons.
- Lay Quest is her new SDA. It fits and I want it on board early.

Need to adjust spells later for charisma.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Syala reaches divine rank 3.

- Wisdom modifier rises.
- Divine radiance as the new SDA, probably a prereq to something else later down the line.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Okay, this one is aimed at everyone. As NPCs start to reach divine rank and divine rank 1 in particular, the question of possible custom SDAs comes to mind. Anyone have suggestions for anyone's? Mechanics aren't a huge concern, this is purely throwing ideas at the wall.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

As you all hopefully ponder the above post (hint, hint, hint), let me toss something out there.

Between Alyssa's recent misstep in Ash and the possibility of Moore taking a loss against Torm, the possibility of gear loss should be on everyone's mind. As such, I'd like you all to start clearly marking what parts of your sheet's gear is kept at home. If you already do this, great! No further change needed, just make sure it's clearly labeled.

Let me know with a post here when that's done or if it's already done. Moore, you're holding the bag here - this came as a result of us chatting in PM - but I trust you to be honest.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

For myself, anything listed as a reserve weapon (or otherwise noted as being kept at home) counts for NPC sheets. For NPCs I'll be going through and see about checking this.

Also anything that's [misc] or similarly tagged and is primarily treasure or art can be assumed to be kept home unless noted otherwise.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

I'll notate it for me, but the assumption (for me anyway) has been he has everything on his sheet with him, bags included.