DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Wealth in Balmuria 6.

Here's how I intend to treat money in each node.

Moore: While money is a factor and something you can collect, you're likely to be based in Celestia. It's a post scarcity paradise, a literal Heaven. It's just as valid to take Cresiel to Jovar for gear for free as to go buy it in Brightwater. Of course as a diplomat who deals with other realms, you'd have reason for money, but I don't intend to emphasize it much. You're as likely to get items directly as money given.

Alyssa: I'm not sure yet, as you're new and I haven't reviewed your sheet yet. Probably pretty close to standard to start, more on you later. Also, you need starting gold, don't you?

Tryll: I'm presuming you're going to start on Lifasa somewhere. So money will matter for you at least at first, somewhere between Moore and Alyssa in where I project money mattering. We'll feel this one out once we establish your base of operations in more detail.

Seira: Congratulations, you're a deity atop a divine realm. You can literally conjure magic items out of nothing from the divine rules and have a great deal of resources to call on. For you, I envision you using money less (though building up a hoard is of course an option for you) and empowering what you have more, as well as drawing on resources to fulfill spot needs. Not that you're banned from using money of course, but I'm not intending for magic item shopping to be a huge focus here.

Alicia: Congratulations, you're a deity atop a divine realm. You can literally conjure magic items out of nothing from the divine rules and have a great deal of resources to call on. For you, I envision you using money less and empowering what you have more, as well as drawing on resources to fulfill spot needs. Not that you're banned from using money of course, but I'm not intending for magic item shopping to be a huge focus here.

Questions and comments welcome.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Iron Dragoon

What do you mean I need starting gold? I mean... yeah, I do. I didn't update my sheet with level 30 starting gold because... I don't know what the amount for level 30 is and you said you were going to address gold.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on April 15, 2018, 10:17:56 PM
What do you mean I need starting gold? I mean... yeah, I do. I didn't update my sheet with level 30 starting gold because... I don't know what the amount for level 30 is and you said you were going to address gold.

I can't find my chart, so I'm going to fiat give you 450,000 gold to spend. Remember it's full price since Afina's not an option.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

DMG P.135 has level 20 starting wealth at 760,000 gp. Table 5-1.

Nephrite

Quote from: Anastasia on April 15, 2018, 09:53:54 PM
I have a longer post about money and how each node is going to handle it, but an announcement.

As of now, Afina's crazy discount services are no longer available. This mostly applies to Tryll and Moore, but heads up in case any of you were going to find a reason to beeline on over to her. She's off exploring Lifasa and finding her good ending, not making magical gear. Aurora's other shops aren't closed if you end up being there, but I'd prefer y'all don't without a solid reason. Again, B3 just ended, give it some down time.

Moore was likely to send people to Aurora just because it's what he's familiar with in terms of quality items and since he's pretty sure even without Afina, Gold is still there for some things.

So noted on how Celestia would handle wealth, though. It's something I'm sure he'd learn!

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on April 15, 2018, 10:30:56 PM
DMG P.135 has level 20 starting wealth at 760,000 gp. Table 5-1.

> I don't use those tables since they're way high, generally. I tend to give out a lot of stuff in play, starting money's really meant to be a starter pool.
> If you end up too low I'll give you some more, so fair warning.

You're running a new PC so I'm flexible. At worst it's more chances to get good loot.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on April 15, 2018, 10:31:58 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on April 15, 2018, 09:53:54 PM
I have a longer post about money and how each node is going to handle it, but an announcement.

As of now, Afina's crazy discount services are no longer available. This mostly applies to Tryll and Moore, but heads up in case any of you were going to find a reason to beeline on over to her. She's off exploring Lifasa and finding her good ending, not making magical gear. Aurora's other shops aren't closed if you end up being there, but I'd prefer y'all don't without a solid reason. Again, B3 just ended, give it some down time.

Moore was likely to send people to Aurora just because it's what he's familiar with in terms of quality items and since he's pretty sure even without Afina, Gold is still there for some things.

So noted on how Celestia would handle wealth, though. It's something I'm sure he'd learn!

I just don't want things boomeraging right back to Aurora, even if you have a fair point.

It'll come up early in your game, probably, if not in the pre game prep.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Sure, that's find. He can handwave it as a "they probably don't want to be bothered by mundane requests but I'll send a messenger if it's something important."

Iron Dragoon

If I want to change the bonus type of an item, specifically making a Belt of Magnificence into Insight or Luck bonus, what would the cost adjustment be?

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on April 15, 2018, 11:15:55 PM
If I want to change the bonus type of an item, specifically making a Belt of Magnificence into Insight or Luck bonus, what would the cost adjustment be?

DM judgment and I rarely hand those out for sale, they're the sort of precious things you find and win.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Anastasia on April 15, 2018, 10:05:35 PM
Quote from: Yuthirin on April 15, 2018, 10:01:45 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on April 15, 2018, 09:55:08 PM
Quote from: Yuthirin on April 15, 2018, 09:53:09 PM
That's an awful lot. I'd say it's reasonable to do half damage to the manifestor. 11d6 is too much. 6d6.
I mean...I don't disagree, I don't. It's Dana, that's all. She looks at an average of 33ish damage, shrugs and says sure, why the fuck not? She's the sort of person to blow herself up to get around the battlefield and like it. She sees nothing wrong with the power as written.
It's not balanced.

Okay, how is it not balanced?
It deals too much damage to the manifestor.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Iron Dragoon

Okay, below is what I'm looking at for gear.  I also have not purchased any weapons so far, but I have 42,100 gp left over to buy weapons with. Before I start that, however, I want to ask what the cost would be to add a couple things, listed with the below items.

Spoiler: ShowHide
[Armor] Mithral Twilight Chain Shirt +5, 36,000gp: +9 AC, 0% ASF, +6 enchantment cost

[Torso] Robe of the Archmagi: 75,000gp. Would like to boos the Resistance Saves up to +6.

[Bracers] Bracers of the Hunter: 8500gp

[Hands] Gloves of the Master Strategist: 3600gp Book: Ghostwalk. Would like to combine this with the Ring of Arming from MIC, 5,000gp. Also need to confirm exactly how many things it can store. Says things you don't have free hands for appear at feet, so it reads that it can store multiple weapons.

[Boots] Boots of Striding and Springing: 5500gp

[Head] Lore Gem: MIC 7500. Would like to add: Mind Blank and increase spell slots equal to a Blessed Spellbook, and add a Headband of Conscious Effort effect to it.

[Face] Hathren Mask of True Seeing: 75,000gp

[Necklace] Necklace of Adaptation, 9000gp, would like to add a Ring of Sustenance effect to this.

[Waist] Belt of Magnificence +4, 100,000gp

[Ring 1] Ring of Counterspells, 4,000gp. Would like to check what it would cost to give this a second spell slot and possibly boost it to 9th level.

[Ring 2] Ring of Freedom of Movement: 40,000gp

[Back] Cloak of Displacement, Minor: 24,000. MIC has an item called Cloak of Weaponry, 2,300 gp. Allows storing of a single weapon. Would like to combine and increase storage for many weapons. Likely to be cost prohibitive, but worth asking about.

Other:
Heward's Handy Haversack, 2,000 gp
Heward's Fortifying Bedroll, 3,000gp
A Belt of Hidden Pouches (RotW; 5,000 GP)
Everlasting Rations (MC; 350 GP)
Silent Portal Disk (350gp, Magic of Faerun p165)
Thieve's Tools, Masterwork 100gp
Decanter of Endless Water 9,000gp

Anastasia

In the case of NPCs with divine rank, such as Syala or Amaryl, you'll find the following helpful additions to their stat block.

Size/Type: Medium Outsider (Angel, Chaotic, Good)
Divine Rank: 1
Domains: Chaos, Family, Good, Plant, Wrath
Hit Dice: 30d8+330 (570 hp)

This will note their divine rank and any domains that they have.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on April 16, 2018, 12:10:49 AM
Quote from: Anastasia on April 15, 2018, 10:05:35 PM
Quote from: Yuthirin on April 15, 2018, 10:01:45 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on April 15, 2018, 09:55:08 PM
Quote from: Yuthirin on April 15, 2018, 09:53:09 PM
That's an awful lot. I'd say it's reasonable to do half damage to the manifestor. 11d6 is too much. 6d6.
I mean...I don't disagree, I don't. It's Dana, that's all. She looks at an average of 33ish damage, shrugs and says sure, why the fuck not? She's the sort of person to blow herself up to get around the battlefield and like it. She sees nothing wrong with the power as written.
It's not balanced.

Okay, how is it not balanced?
It deals too much damage to the manifestor.

That's a tricky wicket to argue, because that's as designed for Dana. She simply doesn't care about the damage. But rather than have an inane argument about this that I don't think either of us want, how about this? Dropping it down a spell level to reduce damage for all - because honestly, this power isn't about the damage it does to other creatures, that's just a bonus side effect.

Dana's Concussive Movement
Psychokinesis [Force]
Level: Psychic Warrior 5
Display: Auditory
Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal; see text
Target: You; see text
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial; see text
Power Resistance: Yes; see text
Power Points: 9

This spell unleashes a burst of concussive force 15ft in radius, centered on you. All creatures within it suffer 9d6 points of force damage and are knocked back 15ft. A successful Fortitude save halves the damage and negates the movement.

You are subject to this spell, except you are not allowed a saving throw or power resistance. However, you can use the force to move 50ft in any direction. If you collide with an object, you take 5d6 points of damage, while if you collide with a creature, you and the creature both take this damage. You can move less than 50ft if you wish, but you must move at least 10ft.

Augment

If you spend 6 additional power points, you can manifest this power as a swift action.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Also a reminder, please don't post links to D&D tools or anything like that, thanks.
<Afina> Forever.