News:

"The truth is stranger than fiction, but not stranger than fanfiction."

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ebiris

Those are fine, Sylica's small and fairly new, it's not gonna have that much unique stuff.

Anastasia

<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Moore and Tryll, how much liquid gold do you two have on you right now?
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Quote from: Anastasia on April 17, 2018, 04:18:20 PM
Alicia: Are you recalling Ebony to Sylica to serve you directly? If so, in a minor (minor NPC topic) or a major (full NPC topic) role?

Seira: Same question to you, but Kascha instead.

I'm recalling Kascha given the campaign has ended and Surru went off to do his own thing. She'll return in the future, similar to Afina, so give or take a few years.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on April 17, 2018, 04:47:18 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on April 17, 2018, 04:18:20 PM
Alicia: Are you recalling Ebony to Sylica to serve you directly? If so, in a minor (minor NPC topic) or a major (full NPC topic) role?

Seira: Same question to you, but Kascha instead.

I'm recalling Kascha given the campaign has ended and Surru went off to do his own thing. She'll return in the future, similar to Afina, so give or take a few years.

Okay, as a minor or major NPC?
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Quick announcement, more aimed at Alicia and Seira since they have strongly established worlds already.

Is there a limit to how many people you have in a node? As in major characters rather than the side characters like Yoshi, Strength of Light and so on?

Informally, no. Practically 6-7 to a node is my private preference. Focus reasons, since it's meant to get deep into relationships. This isn't a hard and fast rule, but worth elaborating this point and where I'm at as I do DM work.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Tryll, Moore and Alyssa: What sort of NPCs do you want in your node, from a mechanical point of view? Like what mechanical needs do you foresee wanting to fill?
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on April 17, 2018, 03:52:22 PM
Okay Iddy, how's your sheet coming? Also looking for a flavor block on it so I have stuff to build with.

First draft of background is in the char sheet now. If you want something more detailed, or something specific added, let me know and I'll do what I can.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on April 17, 2018, 05:05:30 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on April 17, 2018, 03:52:22 PM
Okay Iddy, how's your sheet coming? Also looking for a flavor block on it so I have stuff to build with.

First draft of background is in the char sheet now. If you want something more detailed, or something specific added, let me know and I'll do what I can.

Okay, that's a todo for tonight.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Quote from: Anastasia on April 17, 2018, 05:00:34 PM
Tryll, Moore and Alyssa: What sort of NPCs do you want in your node, from a mechanical point of view? Like what mechanical needs do you foresee wanting to fill?

Moore could really use someone who's good at administration. He won't be able to keep up with the various status of everything he'll be involved in, so someone who is good at keeping tabs on things and reporting to him about it would be great.

A Tannin-type, if you will.

Iron Dragoon

Well, I kind of had the idea of people being highly skilled and using sorta non-standard classes. Like, for a dungeon crawl damage dealer, a Brawler, Reaping Mauler, Exotic Weapons Master, Invisible Blade, or Master Thrower or the like.

Or the 'tank' being someone who specializes in Trip and Intimidation for defense and control instead of raw AC. Like maybe that Scythe Master build with Beguiler doing a feint and trip never-outnumbered thing. Or something with Imperious Command. Maybe something with a Cha based gestalt class? Warmage maybe?

A scout/DPS being like a Swashbuckler/Rogue/Sorcerer/Spellwarp Sniper type build. Or a Dungeon Delver/Trapmaster?

Or the healer being some sort of Archivist/Combat Medic/Healer/Alchemist Savant.

I'd like to see a group that's built more around like skills and skill tricks than just raw, flat-out power. Builds that work, but you just don't really see a lot.

That said, I dunno how viable that is, or how much work it'll take to be functional. And while I want high skill, I don't think everyone being a 6 or 8+int char is going to be especially fun or work well together.

Sorta, if you've had any off-the-wall builds you've been mulling over or toying with, I wanna hear 'em.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Ebiris

Bonds is I think just a regular steel weapon (albeit y'know, an epic one), can I convert it to shiftsilver (or shiftsilver on one side and cold iron on the other) since multiple typed DR is pretty common at this level?

Yuthirin

Quote from: Anastasia on April 17, 2018, 04:31:15 PM
Moore and Tryll, how much liquid gold do you two have on you right now?
200,817g, though none of it's liquid. It's rather solid, really.

Quote from: Anastasia on April 17, 2018, 03:49:50 PM
HEY LISTEN!

For each returning PC, I'd like at least a few plot hooks or areas of interest you'd like to explore in this game. Preferably ones tied to your previous games, let me know where you're at on things. Also helps me keep things in order and refresh me on anything that might slip between my wickets.
1. Tryll is still down one of the last few irrigo. That one hiding out in the Beastlands being obstinate. Might as well track him down and see if he wants to either party with us or head to Lifasa.
2. Dana's family quest. We might out-level it substantially by now, but trolling the locals sounds fun. Maybe recruit some faceless mooks for our planar warband. It'd probably make Dana laugh to steal her dad's army from him.
3. Tryll wants to wear an aboleth for a hat.
4. MINDFLAYERS! I know they're out there. They've all gotta go.
5. Find out what Shar's up to. Taelfagn was pretty spooked about it all. If he'd been more reasonable, we could have worked with him. Squicky? Yes. Necessary? Possibly. Hotel? Trivago.
6. Tryll and Calleigh are on an eternal quest for better loot. If they can't afford it, they've resigned themselves to stealing it from ninjas, pirates, and other nefarious folk. Maybe beat up one of Tiamat's kids.
7. RECRUITMENT DRIVE! We need at least one more melee and another ranged person. Tryll would prefer someone intelligent enough to hold a conversation with. Calleigh would prefer people with artistic souls or love in their hearts. Lots of love. Especially for tiny courres. Also, candy and colors. Or someone to troll. She's fine with that, too.
8. Find a troll to troll.
9. If unable to find a suitable companion, we're gonna build one. We have the technology. We did it once. We can do it again.
10. Tryll still owes Moore hugely for his work with Crystalle. If he needs help with anything, all he's gotta do is ask. Unless we hear about it first, then we might help without asking for permission!

Melee, tanky, and at least one other blaster. Maybe a healer? Tryll's got blasting pretty handled, though another blaster is always welcome. In spite of his bonuses from being a paragon, he's still rather fragile. Any good set of hits that land could put him down for a bit. That'd be awkward. Dana fills the melee slot well, but she's too prone to causing injury to herself to really be tanky. It's less about offense and more about defense. Dana makes for a better flanker than a blocker.

I'm currently looking at a 5-6 man team.

Tank: ??
Melee: Dana
Blasting: Tryll & Calleigh
Blasting: ??
Physical Ranged: ?? (I dunno if arrows scale real well in epic or not.)
Healer: ??
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?