News:

Populated by the admins and moderators of your other favorite sites!

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Okay, so DM post of oops is here.

As you may know, back in B5 we switched to Pathfinder skills on request. We didn't adjust back for B3, due to the effort involved in changing back being prohibitive. Now I'd flat forgotten about this come B6's prep time so I didn't post a reminder. So go ahead and convert to those, y'all. The main difference is combining things like spot and listen into one skill.

NPCs should probably be converted, I'll make it a todo to see about it.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

Quote from: Anastasia on April 22, 2018, 08:38:08 AM
QuoteElle, Yandrazrt and Sanzha are working behind the scenes to make the Cauldron a successful trading hub and advance magical research, in metamagic and new fields of research. In particular, where it comes to the Cauldron's goal of bringing the elements together.

Again, makes good sense. Sanzha I imagine mostly heads the elemental stuff, Elle's more focused on metamagic and Yandrazrt focused on some of everything (metal is an awfully broad specialization).

We do actually have some rare (?) metals and manufacturing. While his crafting is not at Latha's level for versatility, I imagine that Yandrazrt is pretty pro at metalwork. Might actually like to reflect that via his feat selection? I think he's earned a reprieve with casual adventuring at my side.

QuoteNo duties for the kids.

Freeloaders! I kid, I kid.

If they like to hold a position or carry out a task, they can ask for the responsibility. IC works.

QuoteSylica, Brightwater (Waukeen, Liira and Tymora in particular), Arborea (Hanali and Morwel in particular), The House of the Triad, Selune and Mystra (because Shar), Lathander, Celestia (Pistis Sophia in particular), Primus (don't want Inevitables sent after me again, also Shar and Ao).

Makes sense, generally. Why Pistis Sophia in particular?

Because she's the personification of a Good monk and the whole apprenticeship thing.

QuoteOn the large scale, I want to find more places where the situation is one of status quo between good and evil, but doesn't have to be. The eladrin children in the Abyss, Benfal and Lifasa, DvR-level one-off abominations. Where unlike a crusade into an infinite realm, you could make a tangible difference for good by putting something on the line. I believe the God-King situation in Balmuria is one such thing.

Makes sense there, so noted for future prep. Basically, if you can't solve it on the macro level, work on the micro level instead to improve the macro level indirectly?

Picking our battles is important. I could go gank Lixer and have decent odds of that, but I don't have a game plan for holding Avernus nor do I want to. Thus, Lixer gets to unlive another day. On the other hand, if Lixer's shitty servants are oppressing some Prime or running profane experiments on Fire, I can and will go stop that shit.

QuoteTechnically speaking, the elemental planes are more or less in balance there. Fire is as tilted to evil as Air is to good. But tilting it more towards good is a fair idea and more than worth pursuing. Good insight with elemental harmony and good's nature.

I'm fine with upsetting the balance, there, so long as it goes the Good way. I think that so long as I don't involve the Heavens overtly, the Inner Planes will be left to resolve this on their own.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

If some evil dude is casting an Evil spell on me, can I use Dispel Evil to counter it? It's touch range, but the Evil spell has to come in contact with me to take hold, after all.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Nephrite

Moore's glasses originally only gave a bonus to spot and not listen, do you care if I just turn it into just buffing perception as a whole?

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on April 22, 2018, 03:15:55 PM
Moore's glasses originally only gave a bonus to spot and not listen, do you care if I just turn it into just buffing perception as a whole?

Briefly, that's fine.

More comments on your posts in a bit, Cor.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

I've fixed my skills, I believe they're all still correct since they're class skills for Bard, so I still get +3 in all of them, I still have 33.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on April 22, 2018, 03:50:45 PM
I've fixed my skills, I believe they're all still correct since they're class skills for Bard, so I still get +3 in all of them, I still have 33.

So noted.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on April 22, 2018, 02:05:30 PMWe do actually have some rare (?) metals and manufacturing. While his crafting is not at Latha's level for versatility, I imagine that Yandrazrt is pretty pro at metalwork. Might actually like to reflect that via his feat selection? I think he's earned a reprieve with casual adventuring at my side.

Let me refrain on Lagann until I have his sheet done. It's a todo but I have todos for miles still.

QuoteBecause she's the personification of a Good monk and the whole apprenticeship thing.

Makes sense.

QuotePicking our battles is important. I could go gank Lixer and have decent odds of that, but I don't have a game plan for holding Avernus nor do I want to. Thus, Lixer gets to unlive another day. On the other hand, if Lixer's shitty servants are oppressing some Prime or running profane experiments on Fire, I can and will go stop that shit.

Makes sense again.

QuoteI'm fine with upsetting the balance, there, so long as it goes the Good way. I think that so long as I don't involve the Heavens overtly, the Inner Planes will be left to resolve this on their own.

* Anastasia nods.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on April 22, 2018, 02:32:07 PM
If some evil dude is casting an Evil spell on me, can I use Dispel Evil to counter it? It's touch range, but the Evil spell has to come in contact with me to take hold, after all.

Once it's cast and able to be dispelled, yes, but not before while it's cast. It's not designed or equipped to be used as a counter spell, just as dispelling.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

New post about deific gifts in the Divine FAQ. I'm gonna add some stuff beyond that article here, too.

The point of deific gifts is for deities - and yes, that includes Alyssa, Tryll and Moore if they manage it as well, as is entirely possible - to reward followers and those that aid them. However, the nature of this means that when dealing with deific and non deific PCs, it blurs the line and authority of the DM to a degree. Use them on NPCs not connected to a node by all means, I'm glad to handle that. Don't use these in a way that blurs the line by going into other's nodes.

I spent awhile kicking this around today, and after talking to a few people for advice, realized allowing that would create some ugly potential situations and conflicts of interest. So let's just avoid that entire situation. Other PCs and their nodes are off limits for deific gifts from other PCs. It's not that I don't trust you all to handle it well, I just think there's too many ways it could go wrong even when handled well. Moreover, it really infringes on the independence part of each node, which I don't want, either.

This is the sort of ability deities have shown a lot in Balmuria, as people enjoy goodies. So use it wisely should you get your hands on it or already have your hands on it. It's a lot of power and a lot of trust in each PC that has it, so live up to that trust, okay? I don't want a situation that could devolve into power imbalance issues that were there in B3.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

New answer in the FAQ added about how deities deal with prayer. This may get an article later or may just be demonstrated in play, but in short - it's designed to work and work well, so it's mostly automatic for a deity.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Greater Snowsong
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Brd 10

This spell functions as Snowsong, except as noted here. Allies gain +8 morale bonus to Charisma and attack rolls, and a +8 insight bonus to Armor Class. They also gain fast healing 3 and resistance to cold 30 to all affected allies. All melee attacks made by allies in the snowsong deal an additional 2d6 points of cold damage. Enemies designated by the spell have a 40% chance of spell failure if they fail the will save.

Sonic Shattering
Abjuration/Evocation [Sonic]
Level: Brd 10
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 80ft
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial or Reflex negates (object); see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

With a scream and a gesture, you create a cone of sounds powerful enough to shatter magic. This spell does 15d6 points of sonic damage to creatures and 1d6 points of damage per caster level (to a maximum of 30d6) to crystalline or brittle creatures. This spell also stuns affected creatures and deafens them for 1d4 hours. In addition, this spell also functions as a greater dispel magic against creatures caught in the area. Any spell shattered in this way causes an extra 1d6 points of sonic damage to the creature. This damage cannot be reduced via a successful Fortitude save.

A creature in the area of the cone can negate the stunning and halve both the damage and the duration of the deafness with a successful Fortitude save. A creature holding vulnerable objects can attempt a Reflex save to negate the damage to those objects

Lliira's Joy
Level: Brd 11, Clr 13, Joy 13
Transmutation
Components: V
Range: 60ft area burst, centered on you
Duration: 1 min/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell fills those affected with a wellspring of joy, as if they were in the presence of Lliira herself. Creatures affected by this spell are immune to any fear, despair or similar effect. This spell also rids the target of the same sorts of effects that heart's ease removes. Creatures also gain fast healing 10 for the duration of this spell.

Oberon's Blade
Abjuration/Conjuration (Creation)
Level: Sor/Wiz 12
Components: V, S
Range: Long (400 ft + 40 ft/level)
Effect: One longsword
Duration: 1 round + 1 round per two levels
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell was created by the Seelie Court to better combat their Unseelie enemies; it does extra damage to evil fey and shatters illusions. This spell conjures a sword that looks the same as the one used by Oberon, King of the Seelie Court. The sword hurls itself at an enemy you determine. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack to hit your target. Creatures struck by Oberon's Blade suffer 10d8 points of damage. Any illusion struck by this blade is subject to a superb dispelling effect at your caster level. This damage is doubled against Unseelie or evil fey. The blade will continue to strike at the same target every round unless directed by you (as a free action) to strike a different target.

---

We'll try all of these as written here and see how they work out. Adding to spell collection.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

The Fall of Bel, part 3

You are correct, of course. Most devils would not dare speak of what happened on the Evening of the Dead.

Hm? That is the name of the coup. You do not even know that? Unsurprising, we are the best. We are disciplined! No boasting vrock or sweetly babbling succubus are in our ranks to spill our business to you, mercane.

But I will. After all, I have nothing else but to secure a place in the Consortium. I will continue once the contract is signed.

So be it. The contract is signed.

My name is Eligaas, former Earl of Bloodfall, 1st circle general serving in Bel's armies. I am the only one of my unit to survive, the only one strong enough to be here instead of groveling before a new Lord of the First or sealed away beneath the new Citadel that has risen.  I am the only one worthy to tell the planes of what truly happened when Bel was overthrown. Listen and listen well to me, for I shall not repeat myself lightly.

To understand the events of what happened, you must understand the recent history of Avernus. It began, as many of the troubles on Avernus do, with a filthy demon. Are you familiar with Zquujaj's assault on Avernus? That was the beginning, a traitor able to match Bel. Match him!

Do not look surprised. A traitor he may be, but Zquujaj showed even then the superiority of diabolical power. No matter his delusions and heresy, Zquujaj accomplished what not even Demogorgon, Orcus or Graz'zt has managed. He countered Bel, pushed the forces of Avernus back and for a time, came close to conquering Avernus. That is the strength of Baator - even diluted and broken by madness, it is superior to any demon general.

That wretched war knocked loose many things. From generals slain or retired into oblivion, to fortresses shattered and units annihilated, none were safe. It took all of Hell to push back Zquujaj, as is only proper for a true son of Baator. Even then, losses shook all of Hell.

Yes, she was one. A traitor revealed by a traitor, poetic. Of course the Reynes relies on her. Traitor though she may be, she is still Baatorian steel, superior to anything the forces of Good could forge. Do you know that she defeated the Spark Hunters? Her and her pet paladin, shattering an attack of the most elite mortal hunters in Creation! Unthinkable except for a true Baatorian. A truth I have learned well, mercane.  Zquujaj, Antenora....Eligaas. Do not look surprised, mercane. I am not stupid. I will be the third and greatest of them all.

Then came Romiel's crusade against the outcast Agares. One that Antenora participated in, surely the reason their strategies succeeded. A typical crusade would be smashed, but this one? This one had a true tactical and strategic mind behind it, one that could only be from Baator. Is that not the will of a tyrant, mercane? To assert your authority, to crush your foes beneath your boot, to emerge triumphant? Who else but a true Baatorian could forge the rabble of the Heavens into a force that fought through devils, found and slew Agares and escaped intact?

Two blows, mercane. Zquujaj destroyed Bel's aura of martial invincibility. Antenora showed that even the Heavens could defeat Bel, if properly lead. What hope did Bel have when Zquujaj and Antenora masterminded the Aurora?

Hah, you would not know. They are true Baatorians. To conceal their plans from you would be child's play. Afina, Jaela, Ithea, Adrian...all of them were but catspaws, useful idiots who were granted a sliver of power and training by them. The truth is that Zquujaj and Antenora have been working together for years now, finding Medicant was thought impossible - but possible for true Baatorians. A third strike at Bel and a fatal one, of course. Defeat after defeat, all the disparate forces brought together could only be the plans of true Baatorians. None other could succeed at it. None other could create the Aurora! Zquujaj is the strongman, claiming the mantle of a demon lord for his own. Antenora is the voice behind the throne, allowing a puppet to wield such power while she controls Alicia.

Bel's defeat on Lifasa was a foregone conclusion. You understand that now. Good.

I was inspecting the troops of the Bloodfall 5th Army when it began. The sky shook, a great cry came from the ground and portals opened everywhere. In an instant my army was under attack. We responded in that instant, fighting, only to be betrayed. Devils came to oppose us, joined by legions of the undead. A threat without a doubt, but the soldiers of Bloodfall were the best in Avernus. No. What undid us was betrayal. Oregel, second in command of the 5th Army, immediately betrayed and slew several command officers and opened a portal, flooding the command with bony, withered cornugons. The cornugons of Lixer, Prince of Hell.

I know them by reputation, his Necrolytes that raise the dead and command the magics of undeath and unlife. The battle was terrible, the slaughter immense and our situation hopeless. In such a situation there was no hope, so I did the only thing I could. I retreated to the Bronze Citadel, to personally report to Lord Bel about this betrayal. There I saw something I could not imagine.

Enemies held the Bronze Citadel.

Betraying devils held it in line with the dead of all kinds, beneath a sky the dark green of a forest night. Yet I could see the inner sanctums had not fallen, and with my emblem of nobility, was able to teleport in.

It is inconceivable that a Lord of Hell could fall in battle. Such has never happened and never will happen. But...there, Lixer battled with Bel. There are no words for the confrontation, of fell magic against burning blade. Before my eyes I saw this battle, unable to interfere. Not by fear...but understanding. I was meant to see that battle. I was meant to see Bel slowly push Lixer back until a portal opened, to some withered thing in the deepest dungeon of the Citadel. Somehow the sight of this distracted Bel momentarily, enough for Lixer to cast a spell that chained the Lord of the First, dragged him towards that portal. It began to drag others, loyal devils ready to support Bel.

In that moment I could act again and I knew I had only one choice. I fled.

Am I ashamed? ASHAMED? Ahahahahahahahahaha!

I am not ashamed! I am ELEVATED. The Archdukes of Hell stand above even the Dukes of Hell, yet man of them are exiled from Hell. Speak wisely of them, speak knowingly of ones such as Eblis, Gathgorian and Gargauth. I see that now. Zquujaj, Antenora. Both in the same mold. A clever ploy to spread Hell's authority further. To bring the iron chains of order to those too weak to embrace them. I am but the third, my circumstances nothing more than a ploy to send me beyond Hell.

Do you see? REJOICE! Rejoice, mercane. For I am here to bring the gift to Baator to the mercane! On the dying gasps of Bel and the restless cries of what could only be Zariel I have come forth, bound to your Consortium by your very contract! Yes, Lixer reigns in Avernus now, but it matters not!

No, what matters is that I shall reform and restore the Mercane Consortium. Do not look horrified, dear friend. I have already paralyzed you, your protections nothing to me. Come now. You will merely be the first I show the true paths to power and glory to. Be not afraid. You have nothing to be afraid of now, mercane.  Not now, not ever.

All goes as planned. So long as the plans of Baator continue to unfold, all's right with Creation. As my first convert, the King of Hell will richly reward you when the time is right. I will spare you a place of honor once I assume the throne he prepares for me in Nessus.

Now then, let us begin and usher in a new age for the Consortium.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Yuthirin

Dune, do you want us to completely convert skills and skill growth to Pathfinder, or just the skills themselves?
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?