DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Fair enough all around. We'll see how it goes, you should be fine since your baseline's pretty flexible and can be tweaked with new feats and spell choices.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

Quote from: Nephrite on May 16, 2018, 10:37:44 PM
I'm sure this was DM arbitrated at some point in the past so my apologies, I'd like to ask about Shades.

Does it work the same as the other Shadow-based spells and only works on (Creation) and (Summoning) spells, or does Shades work on any Conjuration School spell from the wizard/sorc list? I ask because Greater Shadow Conjuration still has the specification but Shades does not.

Out of curiosity, what other subschools does Conjuration has? Teleportation? I don't think it'd apply for Shades from context. Healing? That's usually divine and not on the sorc/wiz lists. I think that covers all Conjuration subschools. Maybe Calling? It's pretty much the same as summoning, anyways.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on May 16, 2018, 05:43:03 PM
I have a lot of problems with judging power levels, too. Lief and Surraruthru were my first characters over level 12, I believe. Or the first one I remember being over level 12. I think the level 12 character was Thaeos way back in that 2e game with Serith. So jumping into a 20+ character with Lief was something I had problems with, even though he was already built for me.

Surraruthru was half a failure on his own what with the failed Nightmare Spinner build and then having to rebuild for True Dragon. The Monk version of him gave me the ridiculous damage that was fairly in line with Muirfinn and Afina, which were what I had to judge off of. The True Dragon rebuild crippled that but gave me huge boosts to group play, so I never really figured out where the acceptable balance point was with him.

I'm sorta running into similar issues with Alyssa, though I haven't done any *real* combat with her. I look at some of the other character sheets and see HPs of 700, ACs of 60+, attack bonuses of 50+ and then look at Alyssa. HP: 288. AC: 38. Attack: 43. It makes me a bit nervous and feels like I'm using a really flawed build, like back to the Nightmare Spinner thing. I know it probably isn't that horrible or flawed and is likely due to bonuses that come with primo gear and divinity, but man, go back to that pit fiend fight and it took me like four rounds to establish a solid routine and even then I still was low on HP the whole rest of the time. Stack on that I entirely lack SR, and I feel like I'm a bad Wizard/Fighter Gish.

I know it'll all work out, but still. When Tryll and Alica can dump just massive damage and I'm swinging for 4d12 and a possible 2-8 negative levels per round, man... Makes me feel like I studied history for a math test. =)

If you don't mind me commenting, this is really because of the limitations of 3.5 as a system. It streamlines some things, and puts up obstacles before others. It's true the GM can rework everything to allow for any concept, but I feel it's best to not rely on the GM's mercy and his balancing act. For example, in gestalt gishes (caster//melee fighter) are the best approach bar none. Any concept can be played in a fun way, but if you seek out competence in combat that's the only viable way the system itself allows sans GM intervention. Amaryl, who uses the ranged attack approach relies on custom material to really come into her own, and on content that may not have been allowed for a purely melee build. Seira, who needs SA, relies on the GM's kindness not to throw SA-immune enemies her way, on having NPCs willing and able to flank with her and on items that allow limited uses for SAing the unSAable. A mounted paladin will often find that his steed can't go into the same caverns the party is exploring, and if it can, that there is no space to properly charge more often than not. That alone makes the other paladin variants superior, and so on.

So what to do if you really want to play a cool dude on a horse that charges things on behalf of his god? You're either stuck figuring out bullshit loopholes in the rules to let you bring your horse to these places, like maybe shrinking in size, or relying on GM lenience through an agreement, possibly unspoken, that he'll let you use your cool concept enough for it not to feel like a failure.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on May 17, 2018, 02:31:43 AM
Quote from: Nephrite on May 16, 2018, 10:37:44 PM
I'm sure this was DM arbitrated at some point in the past so my apologies, I'd like to ask about Shades.

Does it work the same as the other Shadow-based spells and only works on (Creation) and (Summoning) spells, or does Shades work on any Conjuration School spell from the wizard/sorc list? I ask because Greater Shadow Conjuration still has the specification but Shades does not.

Out of curiosity, what other subschools does Conjuration has? Teleportation? I don't think it'd apply for Shades from context. Healing? That's usually divine and not on the sorc/wiz lists. I think that covers all Conjuration subschools. Maybe Calling? It's pretty much the same as summoning, anyways.

That's about my thinking, too. I'm going to rule it holds onto the limitation of base shadow conjuration. Of course, you could make a custom spell to explore this further if you wanted, Neph.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on May 17, 2018, 02:49:03 AM
Quote from: Iron Dragoon on May 16, 2018, 05:43:03 PM
I have a lot of problems with judging power levels, too. Lief and Surraruthru were my first characters over level 12, I believe. Or the first one I remember being over level 12. I think the level 12 character was Thaeos way back in that 2e game with Serith. So jumping into a 20+ character with Lief was something I had problems with, even though he was already built for me.

Surraruthru was half a failure on his own what with the failed Nightmare Spinner build and then having to rebuild for True Dragon. The Monk version of him gave me the ridiculous damage that was fairly in line with Muirfinn and Afina, which were what I had to judge off of. The True Dragon rebuild crippled that but gave me huge boosts to group play, so I never really figured out where the acceptable balance point was with him.

I'm sorta running into similar issues with Alyssa, though I haven't done any *real* combat with her. I look at some of the other character sheets and see HPs of 700, ACs of 60+, attack bonuses of 50+ and then look at Alyssa. HP: 288. AC: 38. Attack: 43. It makes me a bit nervous and feels like I'm using a really flawed build, like back to the Nightmare Spinner thing. I know it probably isn't that horrible or flawed and is likely due to bonuses that come with primo gear and divinity, but man, go back to that pit fiend fight and it took me like four rounds to establish a solid routine and even then I still was low on HP the whole rest of the time. Stack on that I entirely lack SR, and I feel like I'm a bad Wizard/Fighter Gish.

I know it'll all work out, but still. When Tryll and Alica can dump just massive damage and I'm swinging for 4d12 and a possible 2-8 negative levels per round, man... Makes me feel like I studied history for a math test. =)

If you don't mind me commenting, this is really because of the limitations of 3.5 as a system. It streamlines some things, and puts up obstacles before others. It's true the GM can rework everything to allow for any concept, but I feel it's best to not rely on the GM's mercy and his balancing act. For example, in gestalt gishes (caster//melee fighter) are the best approach bar none. Any concept can be played in a fun way, but if you seek out competence in combat that's the only viable way the system itself allows sans GM intervention. Amaryl, who uses the ranged attack approach relies on custom material to really come into her own, and on content that may not have been allowed for a purely melee build. Seira, who needs SA, relies on the GM's kindness not to throw SA-immune enemies her way, on having NPCs willing and able to flank with her and on items that allow limited uses for SAing the unSAable. A mounted paladin will often find that his steed can't go into the same caverns the party is exploring, and if it can, that there is no space to properly charge more often than not. That alone makes the other paladin variants superior, and so on.

So what to do if you really want to play a cool dude on a horse that charges things on behalf of his god? You're either stuck figuring out bullshit loopholes in the rules to let you bring your horse to these places, like maybe shrinking in size, or relying on GM lenience through an agreement, possibly unspoken, that he'll let you use your cool concept enough for it not to feel like a failure.

I agree with what you say in broad strokes, but lemme toss in my two cents.

1. Fighter/mages tend to be best, though I don't think it applies intrinsically to melee fighters. Amaryl does fine for example, though more on her in a bit. But more importantly, variety and a good build tend to be the best. There's a good reason one of the best features of a deity is basically near free-form reality altering at will. It's not mechanically overwhelming, but it's an incredibly versatile tool box. (Note to self: Write about alter reality in the next post.) As long as you accomplish that in gestalt, you'll be fine, no matter the mechanisms you use to do so.

2. To be fair for Amaryl, the roots of her build are all in canon material. Swift hunters are a thing after all, her custom PrC and a few of her custom spells are just gilding the lily. Most people who get custom material are like that, using it to help refine and expand something 3.5 begins. I see that as a strength of the system and a great boon, the simple ability to use the mechanical frame work to make new feats, PrCs, spells and so on. It's added a tremendous amount of good to Balmuria and a huge amount of new flexibility.

3. Funny story - I view those sort of limitations (SA, mount, ect) as a good thing. As long as the DM uses those wisely (and you don't choose them in a campaign that inherently counters them, but that's on the player if so), limitations are useful. Seira facing an SA immune enemy makes her use different tactics and strategies. Crystal in a situation that Hope can't participate in? She fights differently and has different approaches.  It's a chance to challenge the player and mix it up, using different ways and means to accomplish your goals. So I disagree with your point about relying on the DM for them. If anything, I see it as a way for the DM to keep things interesting, to be able to mix things up. It's really the same principle as those 'strip you naked portals' I use every so often. Your gear's great, but occasionally it's nice to take it away and see you scramble without it.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Okay, this morning I'm going to do a quick round of posts, finish up Emily and start on Jarem. If time somehow permits due to an act of God Almighty, I'll do some portrait work then.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Relevant for Neph: Just added superior shadow evocation to the Spell Collection. It's from Lucy, mentioning since shadow conjuration came up.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Emily's up in Seira's minor ally topic. Her spell list needs work/revision, those are in todos. She won't see action right away so I have time here.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

For the record, I'm not quite sure how I posted Emily in Alicia's current topic, but I blame Shar. (That and having it open in another tab. But mostly Shar.)
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

For Alyssa

Jarem Aruwood

Cleric (Crusader variant) 30//Knight 30

He's going to have some focus in tripping, so bear that in mind. More information as I work him out.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Anastasia on May 15, 2018, 11:36:59 AM
Okay, before I rule on the whole skills and Int booster thing, I should clarify a few points here.

- For deities, I grant the skill points from the enhancement bonus as if it was their true Intelligence, due to the bonus being innate and impossible to remove. Alicia and Seira benefit, the others have something to look forward to.
- Exception: That doesn't apply to proxies, as the template can be taken away. Double exception: In the event of a rogue proxy who manages to make the proxy template their own so it can't be taken away (as mentioned in the article about proxies), they count the bonus as if they were a deity. Assuming they live long enough to benefit from it, anyway.
- In a case where a creature has a genuinely permanent enhancement bonus to Intelligence, I count that as well. This is exceedingly rare and usually a contingency.
- Permanent Intelligence boosters are counted for skill points, such as if Alyssa gets +2 Intelligence from a node bonus.
- Non permanent Intelligence boosters, including items and spells, are not counted nor do they grant any skills. This is pure 3.5 here, since I think 3.5 had the right of it due to how skill points work.

Do any of you need adjustments based on this? I wasn't really aware of this rule to be entirely honest, so this one sort of surprised me.
This is something I'll need to look at once I have a PC again.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

All good, do as you can, Yuth. PC issues suck.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

We'll begin at noon todya. That's 30 minutes from the time of this post.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

A preview, to be finished tonight or tomorrow.

Jarem Aruwood

Cleric (Crusader variant) 30//Knight 30

Use something for tripping.

Size/Type: Medium Humanoid (Human)
Hit Dice: 30d12+180+30
Initiative: +5
Speed: 30ft
Armor Class: (+5 dex, +11 armor, +5 insight, +1 dodge) +1 shield , shield applies to touch AC
Base Attack/CMB/CMD: +30/+
Attack: include -2 and shield bash extra attack
Full Attack:
Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
Special Attacks: Spells, deific foes (Shar, Garagos, Cyric, Fraz Urb'Luu, Sune, Renbuu), turn deific foes 8/day (15d6; DC 30), smite 6/day
Special Qualities: Knight's challenge (fighting challenge+5, test of mettle, call to battle, knight's code, daunting challenge, bond of loyalty, loyal beyond death), shield block+4, bulwark of defense, armor mastery, vigilant defender, improved shield ally, impetuous endurance.
Saves: Fort +28, Ref +19, Will +29
Abilities: Str 22, Dex 20, Con 22, Int 20, Wis 31, Cha 21   
Skills:  10; 33+ability modifier.
Feats: Combat Expertise(1), Improved Trip(H), Mounted Combat(K2), Knock Down(3), Power Attack(C3), Shield Specialization(K5), Shield Ward(6), Toughness(C8), Law Devotion(9), Improved Shield Bash(K10), Agile Shield Fighter(12), Improved Combat Expertise(C13), Dodge(15), Great Fortitude(K15), Mobility(18), Spring Attack(C18)
Epic Feats: Epic Spell Capacity(21), knight is 23+3, crusader is ??? but probably same rate as cleric, which is 23+3. Make that epic progression next. Epic feats to focus on: epic trip, epic shield feats, epic agile shield fighter (need to make), epic toughness. Epic speed would be nice but probably not happening. Mabye some stat boosters for preq issues too, need to check.
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Add epic agile shield fighter feat.

Red Breastplate

This armor is given to The Red Knight's favored servants. It is a deep, beautiful red and never rusts or becomes dirty. It is a breastplate+6 that has a maximum dexterity bonus equal to the wearer's Dexterity modifier and no armor check penalty. Additionally, for every 2 points the wearer's Intelligence is above 10 (12, 14, ect), the wearer gains a +1 insight bonus to armor class and saving throws. 
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

This is probably a question that's answered itself, but I'm guessing work IRC isn't happening, Moore?
<Afina> Forever.