DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Ruin and Greater Ruin aren't an issue mechanically except for the crazy 12000ft range. Are you interested in that sort of range?

Kinetic Control is fine with some clean up and conversion.

Raise Island's fine once converted since the casting time is a bit much.

Yeah, no epic spell reflection.

Greater Spell Resistance sucks. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/spellResistance.htm This spell matches or even beats it at your levels, except for duration. Just make a longer duration version of that spell.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on May 19, 2018, 10:53:29 AM
Ruin and Greater Ruin aren't an issue mechanically except for the crazy 12000ft range. Are you interested in that sort of range?

Nah, mostly as another source of DPS. It stacks right there with Queen's Displeasure, but it sorta all falls on a nuts and bolts question. If it's not going to be too mechanically different from spells like the other ones (like the type of save or whatever), then I can just stick to those to save you work.

Kinetic Control is fine with some clean up and conversion.

Yeah, I think it'd make a solid defensive buff for me.

Raise Island's fine once converted since the casting time is a bit much.

Cool. See Cor's thing about Genesis. If it'd do the same basic thing at roughly the same level, that's good enough/better.

Yeah, no epic spell reflection.

Figured =)

Greater Spell Resistance sucks. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/spellResistance.htm This spell matches or even beats it at your levels, except for duration. Just make a longer duration version of that spell.

I've got that memorized and echoing via Factotum already. It'd be SR 33 for me, with a 21 minute duration. Buffing the duration is kinda iffy. I can only memorize 1 of my highest level spell (7th), so it's best to keep it at Echoing and just work from there.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Iron Dragoon

<Lucille> This is more of a curiousity for me, Dune
<Lucille> I vaguely recall you saying Genesis was too much for a mortal spell, and bumping demiplane-making to epic
<Lucille> Am I recalling it wrong?
<Kotono> Yes. I should probably just fix that, I don't think I ever got around to doing that. Post thi sin nagging so I cna to do it.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on May 19, 2018, 06:12:46 AM
A question that came up for me, btw. Does Arcane Spellsurge work on SLAs as well, or only on spells? It forces you to autoquicken spells, so you can't use standards for them anymore, but does that happen for SLAs too?

Only on spells. Arcane spells in particular, since it specifies. SLAs aren't mentioned.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

Also, I forgot at the time but we all have Spell Turning, including Jessica. Since the spell landed on her prior to my turn and it's still my turn, would it apply retroactively to protect her?

Corwin

[18:49] <Seira> And another item question. I have two luck-based items that give me +3 luck to saves, AC, skill checks and ability checks. Divine Favor is a lvl1 spell that gives +3 luck to attack and damage for one minute. How much would it cost for me to add that functionality to my gear instead?
[18:49] <Seira> Greater Luckstone [80,000gp]: A magical four leaf clover; its possessor gains a +3 luck bonus to saves, skill checks and ability checks. [equipped]
[18:49] <Seira> Krystear Emblem: This emblem is from a faraway world, the symbol of an ancient kingdom there. It channels good fortune around the wearer, granting a +3 luck bonus to armor class. This is a slotless accessory. [equipped]
[18:51] <Seira> I'm considering consolidating my items like you suggested after this plays out

Corwin

I'd like feebdack on these spells.

Visage Of The Dragon
Spoiler: ShowHide

Visage Of The Dragon
Transmutation [Acid, Cold, Electricity, Fire, or Sonic]
Level: Sor/Wiz 8
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/level

You tap into the connection between magic itself and the blood of dragons. Your appearance changes to reflect the dragon you have sought to
emulate.

Your creature type changes to dragon for the duration of the spell.

You undergo the following transformations:
• You grow draconic wings that allow you to fly at twice your normal speed (average maneuverability).
• You gain +4 natural armor.
• You gain low-light vision and darkvision out to 60ft.
• You gain immunity to your chosen energy type.
• You gain immunity to sleep and paralysis effects.
• You gain a breath weapon that deals 6d8 points of damage of your chosen energy (60ft line or 30ft cone). A successful Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 HD + Con modifier) reduces damage by half.
• You gain the following bonuses to your ability scores: +8 Str, +2 Con, +2 Int, +2 Cha.

Similarly to how Greater Visage of the Deity is essentially a half-celestial template on a per round basis, I decided to make one for the half-dragon one. Since that's LA+3 rather than +4, I figured it'd be comfortable at lvl8. Only the one spell instead of three, since I don't find interest in the lower variants of either chain. But if it's necessary, this would be the Greater Visage of the Dragon in the chain.

Nightstalker's Transformation, Greater

Transmutation
Level: Sor/wiz 9
Components: V, S, M
Duration: 1 round/level (D)

Moving the potion you hold in a circle before you, you finish speaking the words of the spell before quaffing the potion in one gulp. A moment later you find your mind and body filled with abilities you lacked before.

You gain a +4 enhancement bonus to Dexterity, a +3 luck bonus to Armor Class, a +5 luck bonus on Reflex saving throws, a +15 competence bonus on Perception and Stealth checks, and proficiency with all simple weapons plus the hand crossbow, rapier, sap, shortbow, and short sword. You also gain the Weapon Finesse feat and the evasion ability (PH 50). You deal an extra 3d6 points of damage whenever you attack an opponent that you flank or an opponent denied its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class. This extra damage works like the rogue's sneak attack ability.

You retain your spellcasting ability.

Material Component: A potion of cat's grace, which you drink (and whose effect is subsumed by this spell's effect).

There are two changes, on top of adjusting the skills to our pathfinder variant. The main one is that spells are no longer nuked, and the other is that the competence bonus to skills is now +15 instead of +5.

Seira's Draconic Visage

Seira's Draconic Visage
Transmutation [Fire]
Level: Sor/Wiz ???

A spell created by Seira herself, designed to showcase her combat spirit. It draws its inspiration from two seemingly opposite aspects of her, the primal draconic power running through her veins and the carefully thought-out approach to combat she all-too-often favors, managing to perfectly mesh them for an unstoppable juggernaut!

• You grow draconic wings that allow you to fly at twice your normal speed (perfect maneuverability).
• You gain immunity to fire.
• You gain a breath weapon that deals 10d10 points of damage of fire (120ft line or 60ft cone). A successful Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 HD + Con modifier) reduces damage by half.
• You gain the following bonuses to your ability scores: +8 Str, +2 Con, +2 Int, +2 Cha.

You gain proficiency with Seira's favorite weapon (short sword) and the Weapon Focus feat for it, as well as the ability to use it with a monk's flurry. You also gain the Weapon Finesse feat and the evasion ability (PH 50).

You gain a +3 luck bonus to Armor Class, a +5 luck bonus on Reflex saving throws and a +15 competence bonus on Perception and Stealth checks.

You deal an extra 5d6 points of damage whenever you attack an opponent that you flank or an opponent denied its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class. This extra damage works like the rogue's sneak attack ability.

This one is a combination of the other two, more focused for Seira and with a few improvements (better breath weapon, weapon focus with her favorite weapon and allowing the monk's flurry with it, and of course 5d6 SA instead of 3d6). Not really sure what level it should be. It's a bit better than Might of the Solar (lvl11), so lvl12 - lvl15?

My intention is to make a few 'nova' spells with a Seira theme that could be used at times of need, rather than precast. Maybe cut duration drastically like with Hanna's Charge, but make it an immediate action? I'd certainly like to know how that would affect the spell's level. Anyway, there would also be a comparable paladinSeira spell and a wizardSeira one.

Corwin

Power interaction question.

I have the following item:
Armband of the Spark [50,000gp]: This armband, when worn, allows the user to channel life energy. Three times per day, they may activate it's powers as a swift action. For the next minute, they may deal critical hits and precision damage to creatures normally immune to such. [worn]

This allows me to sneak attack and crit undead liches. Does it also allow me to use stunning fist on them?

The stunning fist writeup includes this restriction:
Constructs, oozes, plants, undead, incorporeal creatures, and creatures immune to critical hits cannot be stunned.

So if their immunity to crits can somehow be negated, does it mean they are now eligible while the Armband of the Spark's powers are in effect?

Iron Dragoon

These are snippets, but this question came up:

<Seira> Dex-boosting is fairly simple with the Seira spell you yourself invented
<Seira> Protection/deflection is a lvl1 spell
<Kotono> To be fair, that was Surru. Alyssa doesn't automatically know that spell.
<Seira> These alone should boost your ac by at least 10

> And which spells boost int past +4? Fox's CUnning is only +4?
<Seira> You came up with one
<Seira> lvl8, per hour
> I don't know those spells. Those are in the Aurora library. Alyssa isn't there.
<Seira> That's not how it works....
> You get them because you're allied with Aurora and Surraruthru made them in your name.
> <Kotono> To be fair, that was Surru. Alyssa doesn't automatically know that spell.
> Yeah, it is.
<Ebiris> Have Alyssa invent a version that's identical but has her name on it instead?
<Seira> It was Dune defending you not automatically using it first
<Seira> Not Dune saying you cannot know this generic not-epic spell that has no special prereqs
<Seira> Unlike other spells that do
<Seira> He also said you'd know of Seira and the Cauldron due to your knowledge ranks, so....
<Seira> Geez, you're a factotum epic wizard
<Seira> It's not exactly hidden anathemic lore here
> I'll ask and if he says yes, then yeah, I'll get those.
<Seira> In fact, Aurora's very recent and very cool victory likely put it all on the mapo

So the question is, would Alyssa know those spells or would she have to make a new version with a different name?

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on May 19, 2018, 03:11:31 PM
Also, I forgot at the time but we all have Spell Turning, including Jessica. Since the spell landed on her prior to my turn and it's still my turn, would it apply retroactively to protect her?

It partially turns it but as she's protected and the caster's immune, there's really not much point to going into it. I'll make a note of it, though.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on May 19, 2018, 03:31:29 PM
[18:49] <Seira> And another item question. I have two luck-based items that give me +3 luck to saves, AC, skill checks and ability checks. Divine Favor is a lvl1 spell that gives +3 luck to attack and damage for one minute. How much would it cost for me to add that functionality to my gear instead?
[18:49] <Seira> Greater Luckstone [80,000gp]: A magical four leaf clover; its possessor gains a +3 luck bonus to saves, skill checks and ability checks. [equipped]
[18:49] <Seira> Krystear Emblem: This emblem is from a faraway world, the symbol of an ancient kingdom there. It channels good fortune around the wearer, granting a +3 luck bonus to armor class. This is a slotless accessory. [equipped]
[18:51] <Seira> I'm considering consolidating my items like you suggested after this plays out

You just want to merge one item onto the other, right?
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

QuoteVisage Of The Dragon

Visage Of The Dragon
Transmutation [Acid, Cold, Electricity, Fire, or Sonic]
Level: Sor/Wiz 8

You tap into the connection between magic itself and the blood of dragons. Your appearance changes to reflect the dragon you have sought to emulate.

Your creature type changes to dragon for the duration of the spell.

• You grow draconic wings that allow you to fly at twice your normal speed (average maneuverability).
• You gain immunity to your chosen energy type.
• You gain a breath weapon that deals 6d8 points of damage of your chosen energy (60ft line or 30ft cone). A successful Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 HD + Con modifier) reduces damage by half.

Similarly to how Greater Visage of the Deity is essentially a half-celestial template on a per round basis, I decided to make one for the half-dragon one. Since that's LA+3 rather than +4, I figured it'd be comfortable at lvl8. Only the one spell instead of three, since I don't find interest in the lower variants of either chain. But if it's necessary, this would be the Greater Visage of the Dragon in the chain.

I'd actually put it as a 9th level spell, first of all. The mechanical boosts are better in some cases (more AC, an energy immunity instead of minor resistances, focused Strength gain instead of being an all rounder) and some of what makes the half celestial template good isn't covered by Greater Visage of the Deity (SLAs come to mind here).

It needs text at the beginning to tell you to choose between dragon types (red, gold, silver, blue, ect) and have that determine your element, and possibly auto sync if you have previous affinity to one of those types. Anyway, that being said, I also wouldn't allow a half dragon or true dragon to use it. It's like adding the half dragon template to a true dragon - technically legal RAW, but one of those stupid things that doesn't make sense without some mental gymnastics. Informally (and y'all might've infringed on this one in B3, I don't remember), I've refrained from half celestials using Greater Visage of the Deity for the same reason.

That all being said, I have zero problem with the spell overall.

QuoteNightstalker's Transformation, Greater

Transmutation
Level: Sor/wiz 9
Components: V, S, M
Duration: 1 round/level (D)

Moving the potion you hold in a circle before you, you finish speaking the words of the spell before quaffing the potion in one gulp. A moment later you find your mind and body filled with abilities you lacked before.

You gain a +4 enhancement bonus to Dexterity, a +3 luck bonus to Armor Class, a +5 luck bonus on Reflex saving throws, a +15 competence bonus on Perception and Stealth checks, and proficiency with all simple weapons plus the hand crossbow, rapier, sap, shortbow, and short sword. You also gain the Weapon Finesse feat and the evasion ability (PH 50). You deal an extra 3d6 points of damage whenever you attack an opponent that you flank or an opponent denied its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class. This extra damage works like the rogue's sneak attack ability.

You retain your spellcasting ability.

Material Component: A potion of cat's grace, which you drink (and whose effect is subsumed by this spell's effect).

There are two changes, on top of adjusting the skills to our pathfinder variant. The main one is that spells are no longer nuked, and the other is that the competence bonus to skills is now +15 instead of +5.

Mechanically, 9 or 10 is fine, I'll sleep on it and give you an answer tomorrow sometime.

I'm a little wary of giving out evasion like that since I've always felt a spell that does that is going to be nabbed hard, due to how common Ref half damage spells are. This isn't really a concern with Seira, but more of just a general design thing I'm noting.

QuoteSeira's Draconic Visage

Seira's Draconic Visage
Transmutation [Fire]
Level: Sor/Wiz ???

A spell created by Seira herself, designed to showcase her combat spirit. It draws its inspiration from two seemingly opposite aspects of her, the primal draconic power running through her veins and the carefully thought-out approach to combat she all-too-often favors, managing to perfectly mesh them for an unstoppable juggernaut!

• You grow draconic wings that allow you to fly at twice your normal speed (perfect maneuverability).
• You gain immunity to fire.
• You gain a breath weapon that deals 10d10 points of damage of fire (120ft line or 60ft cone). A successful Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 HD + Con modifier) reduces damage by half.

You gain proficiency with Seira's favorite weapon (short sword) and the Weapon Focus feat for it, as well as the ability to use it with a monk's flurry. You also gain the Weapon Finesse feat and the evasion ability (PH 50).

You gain a +3 luck bonus to Armor Class, a +5 luck bonus on Reflex saving throws and a +15 competence bonus on Perception and Stealth checks.

You deal an extra 5d6 points of damage whenever you attack an opponent that you flank or an opponent denied its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class. This extra damage works like the rogue's sneak attack ability.

This one is a combination of the other two, more focused for Seira and with a few improvements (better breath weapon, weapon focus with her favorite weapon and allowing the monk's flurry with it, and of course 5d6 SA instead of 3d6). Not really sure what level it should be. It's a bit better than Might of the Solar (lvl11), so lvl12 - lvl15?

My intention is to make a few 'nova' spells with a Seira theme that could be used at times of need, rather than precast. Maybe cut duration drastically like with Hanna's Charge, but make it an immediate action? I'd certainly like to know how that would affect the spell's level. Anyway, there would also be a comparable paladinSeira spell and a wizardSeira one.

Lemme think about that and get back to you in the morning, because getting the other one right in my head's going to impact this one.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Useful IRC conversation being cross posted.

<Iddy> Speaking of, do we get hints to node bonuses?
<Iddy> Like Jarem's thingy?
> Jarem ("She seems alright. Let's see how she handles herself.")
> Yes, that tells you a rough idea of what they're thinking and the next node goal for them.
<Iddy> Ah, I thought that was just a thought snippet.
<Iddy> Gotcha.
> Jarem: Bonus Feat (???).
> Sometimes the exact bonus is listed, sometimes not.
> Depends on various factors.
<Iddy> Yeah, I saw that being the reward, but thought the (???) might be the requirement to unlock it or something.
> No, that just means precisely what feat it is is either hidden, not decided or variable depending on how the event unfolds.
> In this case it's the last, since his generalities are wide open there.
> I usually won't spoil things beyond this, but first one so everyone gets a bit of exposition when they ask.
<Afina> Forever.