News:

You have made a powerful enemy today, stop sign.

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Due to RL tech support issues, nagging backlog won't be gotten to until tonight or tomorrow. Sorry all.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

QuoteSeira's Draconic Visage
Spoiler: ShowHide

Seira's Draconic Visage
Transmutation [Fire]
Level: Sor/Wiz ???
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/level

A spell created by Seira herself, designed to showcase her combat spirit. It draws its inspiration from two seemingly opposite aspects of her, the primal draconic power running through her veins and the carefully thought-out approach to combat she all-too-often favors, managing to perfectly mesh them for an unstoppable juggernaut!

You undergo the following transformations:
• You grow draconic wings that allow you to fly at twice your normal speed (perfect maneuverability).
• You gain +4 natural armor.
• You gain low-light vision and darkvision out to 60ft.
• You gain immunity to fire.
• You gain immunity to sleep and paralysis effects.
• You gain a breath weapon that deals 10d10 points of damage of fire (120ft line or 60ft cone). A successful Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 HD + Con modifier) reduces damage by half.
• You gain the following bonuses to your ability scores: +8 Str, +2 Con, +2 Int, +2 Cha.

You gain proficiency with Seira's favorite weapon (short sword) and the Weapon Focus feat for it, as well as the ability to use it with a monk's flurry. You also gain the Weapon Finesse feat and the evasion ability (PH 50).

You gain a +3 luck bonus to Armor Class, a +5 luck bonus on Reflex saving throws and a +15 competence bonus on Perception and Stealth checks.

You deal an extra 5d6 points of damage whenever you attack an opponent that you flank or an opponent denied its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class. This extra damage works like the rogue's sneak attack ability.

This one is a combination of the other two, more focused for Seira and with a few improvements (better breath weapon, weapon focus with her favorite weapon and allowing the monk's flurry with it, and of course 5d6 SA instead of 3d6). Not really sure what level it should be. It's a bit better than Might of the Solar (lvl11), so lvl12 - lvl15?

My intention is to make a few 'nova' spells with a Seira theme that could be used at times of need, rather than precast. Maybe cut duration drastically like with Hanna's Charge, but make it an immediate action? I'd certainly like to know how that would affect the spell's level. Anyway, there would also be a comparable paladinSeira spell and a wizardSeira one.

Lemme think about that and get back to you in the morning, because getting the other one right in my head's going to impact this one.
[/quote]

We'll say 12 for it for now, see how that goes.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

More spells!

Holy Transformation

Holy Transformation
Transmutation [Good]
Level: Cleric 7
Duration: 1 round/level (D)

This spell functions like lesser holy transformation (SC p116), but when you cast this spell, you assume the physical appearance and many of the qualities and abilities of a movanic deva (http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,101746.msg1024888.html#msg1024888). While under the effect of the spell, your creature type changes to outsider (good) and your size changes to Medium. You have the space and reach of a movanic deva (5ft/5ft). You gain a +4 sacred bonus to Strength and Constitution. You gain darkvision out to 60ft. You gain a +4 sacred bonus on saving throws. You gain damage reduction 5/evil. Anyone within ten feet of you gains a +4 deflection bonus to AC and a +4 resistance bonus to saves against attacks made or effects created by evil creatures.

For reference: http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,101729.msg1026277.html#msg1026277
This spell was supposed to go into the Spell Collection, but I don't see it there. Still, it's been in use plenty.

Seira's Glorious Visage
Seira's Glorious Visage
Transmutation [Good, Fire]
Level: Cleric 13, Paladin 7
Components: V, S

You assume the physical appearance and many of the qualities and abilities of a movanic deva. While under the effect of the spell, your creature type changes to outsider (good) and your size changes to Medium. You have the space and reach of a movanic deva (5ft/5ft). You gain a +4 sacred bonus to Strength, Dexterity and Constitution. You gain darkvision out to 60ft. You gain a +4 sacred bonus on saving throws. You gain damage reduction 5/evil. Your base land speed increases by 10 feet. Your touch attacks and any melee weapons you wield become infused with this power as well. They are treated as good-aligned weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

You create a silvery glow around your body that provides illumination to a radius of 20 feet. Anyone within those 20 feet of you gains a +4 deflection bonus to AC and a +4 resistance bonus to saves against attacks made or effects created by evil creatures. You gain a -20 circumstance penalty on Stealth checks made while under the effect of this spell.

You gain the ability to use Dragonfire Wrath as a paladin of Seira. Add +1d8 fire to your damage rolls against an evil foe for every 5 levels you have. For the duration of this spell, you also gain the Stand Fast paladin ability as a paladin of your level.

Any fire you generate during the duration of the spell becomes goldenfire, ignoring fire resistance or immunity and dealing x1.5 more damage to Evil targets and no damage at all to Neutral and Good targets.

The base here largely combines Holy Transformation (lvl7) and Grace (lvl3), and then adds two of Seira's paladin powers (Dragonfire Wrath and Stand Fast) and Goldenfire (which she technically doesn't have on that level except for the breath weapon, but feels like it fits given Seira's growth). I put it at lvl13, though Goldenfire is pretty good, I can see the range as 13-15 going off the other Visage spell.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

That was clever giving him that stone, Neph.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

It was serendipity.

Now, hopefully he didn't see something he wasn't supposed to or anything...

Iron Dragoon

Submitting these for approval/updating. They're just alterations of energy type of the Sonic Weapon spell. I did not alter the spell level for any of them, including the Force variation. I figured since Sonic and Force are both fairly equally rare/hard to resist, they'd probably stay about the same level. These are the first set of spells being submitted with the intent to expand Alyssa's current tactic flexibility. I figure the cold/fire/electric versions won't see much use, but since I'm doing it, thought I shoud be comprehensive about it:

Acid Weapon
Transmutation [Acid]
Level: Bard 2, Sorcerer 2, Wizard 2, Spellthief 2,
Components: V,
Range: Touch
Target: Weapon touched
Duration: 1 minute/level (D)

As you whisper the spell's arcane words, you drop a single drop of acid on the blade, shrouding the weapon in a thin sheen of acid.

While the spell is in effect, the affected weapon deals an extra 1d6 points of acid damage with each successful attack. The acid energy does not harm the weapon's wielder. Bows, crossbows, and slings that are affected by this spell bestow the sonic energy upon their ammunition.

Cold Weapon
Transmutation [Cold]

As you whisper the spell's arcane words, you breathe a single breath of visibly cold breath on the blade, shrouding the weapon in a thin sheen of frozen condensation.

While the spell is in effect, the affected weapon deals an extra 1d6 points of cold damage with each successful attack. The cold energy does not harm the weapon's wielder. Bows, crossbows, and slings that are affected by this spell bestow the sonic energy upon their ammunition.

Electric Weapon
Transmutation [Electric]

As you whisper the spell's arcane words, your hair stands on end briefly from transfering static electicity into the weapon, shrouding the weapon in a thin sheen of electricity.

While the spell is in effect, the affected weapon deals an extra 1d6 points of electric damage with each successful attack. The electric energy does not harm the weapon's wielder. Bows, crossbows, and slings that are affected by this spell bestow the sonic energy upon their ammunition.

Fire Weapon
Transmutation [Fire]

As you whisper the spell's arcane words, a haze of heat rises off of the weapon, shrouding it in a thin sheen of heat.

While the spell is in effect, the affected weapon deals an extra 1d6 points of fire damage with each successful attack. The fire energy does not harm the weapon's wielder. Bows, crossbows, and slings that are affected by this spell bestow the sonic energy upon their ammunition.

Force Weapon
Transmutation [Force]

As you whisper the spell's arcane words, the weapon is sheathed in a silvery light, shrouding it in a thin sheen of force energy.

While the spell is in effect, the affected weapon deals an extra 1d6 points of force damage with each successful attack. The force energy does not harm the weapon's wielder. Bows, crossbows, and slings that are affected by this spell bestow the sonic energy upon their ammunition.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Iron Dragoon

Round 2. The following are spell versions of various weapon enchantments in the MiC. I've based the spell level off of the CL and prerequisite spell listed in the MiC entries for the enchantments. I tried to balance duration and level as best as I could judge, going off of the spell/CL listed in the MiC:

Blade of No Retreat
Transmutation
Level: Sorc/Wiz 5

The touched weapon is briefly shrouded in green energy. The next successful attack you make with it before the end of your turn prevents the target from using any form of extradimensional travel, as the dimensional anchor spell. This effect lasts until the beginning of your next turn. In all other ways, this effect functions as a Dimensional Anchor spell.

Blade of Divine Wrath
Transmutation
Level: Clr 7

The touched weapon shines with an inner light, bathing the area in light for a moment before dimming to a dull glow. Whenever you hold such a weapon in your hand, you can expend a turn undead attempt to imbue it with divine power for 1 round. If your next successful attack with it hits an undead target, the weapon deals an extra 1d6 points of damage per point of Charisma bonus you possess (minimum 1d6).

Blade of Impeding
Transmutation
Level: Sorc/Wiz 6

The weapon breifly distorts crazily as it absorbs grey energy. When a creature is struck by the enchanted weapon, it's ability to cast spells or use spell-like abilities is impeded for 1d6 rounds. To cast an impeded spell or use an impeded spell-like ability, the creature must attempt a Spellcraft check, Intelligence check, or Charisma check (whichever one is made with the highest bonus). The DC for this check is 15 + the spell level. If the check succeeds, the effect functions normally; if the check fails, the effect does not function and the spell or the use of the spell-like ability is lost.

Shattering Blade
Transmutation
Level: Sorc/Wiz 5

The touched weapon briefly gains cracks of purple energy in it. Each time the weapon strikes a foe that has spell resistance, the value of that spell resistance is reduced by 2 for 1 round. The penalties for multiple hits during the same round stack.

Blade of the Vampire
Transmutation
Level: Sorc/Wiz 4

The touched weapon is briefly shrouded in blood. A vampiric weapon deals an extra 1d6 points of damage to any living creature it hits, and you heal damage equal to this amount.

Ebiris

Oh Dune, can I retrain Divine Might for Whirlwind Attack now we're out of combat?

Also what was that thing we could have figured out to let us skip the plot?

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on May 22, 2018, 04:53:50 PM
Spell proposal, based off of the Cleric Undead Bane Weapon spell:

Blade of Bane
Transmutation
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless, object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless, object)

You give a weapon the bane special ability in addition to any other properties it has. Against a creature type selected on casting, your weapon's enhancement bonus (if any) is 2 higher than normal and it deals an extra 2d6 points of damage against foes of that type.

Alternatively, you can affect up to fifty arrows, bolts, or bullets. The projectiles must be of the same kind, and they have to be together, such as in the same quiver. Projectiles (but not thrown weapons) lose their transmutation when fired.

Edit: It's probably too powerful for the level; if so, how about treating it the same way as Circle of Protection? CoP lists itself as Law/Evil/Chaos/Good, so why not the same thing for this?

Yeah, make it a 5th level spell and we'll work from there.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Yes, please tell us, I must admit it's been bothering me.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on May 22, 2018, 11:23:34 PM
ANOTHER!

Dancing Blade of the Arcane Duelist
Transmutation
Components: V, S, M,
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One sword
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

When you cast this spell, you cause the target sword to hover and attack on its own, aiding a character you designate. The sword must be either unattended (in which case you choose which creature it will fight for, so long as both creature and weapon are within range) or in the possession of a willing ally who benefits from the spell.

A mage's dancing blade attacks using the initiative modifier and caster level of the creature it fights for as it's base attack bonus, though it gains no other attack or damage modifiers the creature might have (including those from Strength) and takes a -4 penalty on its attack rolls if the creature it fights for doesn't have proficiency with a weapon of its kind. The sword moves with the creature it fights for (and so can take the full attack action if that creature does), staying within 5 feet at all times and dropping to the ground if that creature is reduced to 0 or fewer hit points.

Controlling the sword requires no concentration, and the designated creature can fight with another weapon at the same time. A dancing blade prevents two opponents from flanking the creature it fights for (though that creature can be flanked by additional opponents).

Material Component: A tiny stick puppet.

What's the differences between this and similar spells?
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on May 24, 2018, 10:59:54 AM
Yeah, make it a 5th level spell and we'll work from there.

Roger Roger. Will update at home after work.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on May 24, 2018, 11:11:27 AM
What's the differences between this and similar spells?

Uses CL as BaB. There's a couple other similar spells that do that, like some conjured force sword thingy IIRC.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on May 23, 2018, 04:19:08 PM
More spells!

Holy Transformation

Holy Transformation
Transmutation [Good]
Level: Cleric 7

This spell functions like lesser holy transformation (SC p116), but when you cast this spell, you assume the physical appearance and many of the qualities and abilities of a movanic deva (http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,101746.msg1024888.html#msg1024888). While under the effect of the spell, your creature type changes to outsider (good) and your size changes to Medium. You have the space and reach of a movanic deva (5ft/5ft). You gain a +4 sacred bonus to Strength and Constitution. You gain darkvision out to 60ft. You gain a +4 sacred bonus on saving throws. You gain damage reduction 5/evil. Anyone within ten feet of you gains a +4 deflection bonus to AC and a +4 resistance bonus to saves against attacks made or effects created by evil creatures.

For reference: http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,101729.msg1026277.html#msg1026277
This spell was supposed to go into the Spell Collection, but I don't see it there. Still, it's been in use plenty.

Thanks. Include that when I ask for all of your developed spells at the end of this cycle, so I can add them all at once.

QuoteSeira's Glorious Visage
Seira's Glorious Visage
Transmutation [Good, Fire]
Level: Cleric 13, Paladin 7

You assume the physical appearance and many of the qualities and abilities of a movanic deva. While under the effect of the spell, your creature type changes to outsider (good) and your size changes to Medium. You have the space and reach of a movanic deva (5ft/5ft). You gain a +4 sacred bonus to Strength, Dexterity and Constitution. You gain darkvision out to 60ft. You gain a +4 sacred bonus on saving throws. You gain damage reduction 5/evil. Your base land speed increases by 10 feet. Your touch attacks and any melee weapons you wield become infused with this power as well. They are treated as good-aligned weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

You create a silvery glow around your body that provides illumination to a radius of 20 feet. Anyone within those 20 feet of you gains a +4 deflection bonus to AC and a +4 resistance bonus to saves against attacks made or effects created by evil creatures. You gain a -20 circumstance penalty on Stealth checks made while under the effect of this spell.

You gain the ability to use Dragonfire Wrath as a paladin of Seira. Add +1d8 fire to your damage rolls against an evil foe for every 5 levels you have. For the duration of this spell, you also gain the Stand Fast paladin ability as a paladin of your level.

Any fire you generate during the duration of the spell becomes goldenfire, ignoring fire resistance or immunity and dealing x1.5 more damage to Evil targets and no damage at all to Neutral and Good targets.

The base here largely combines Holy Transformation (lvl7) and Grace (lvl3), and then adds two of Seira's paladin powers (Dragonfire Wrath and Stand Fast) and Goldenfire (which she technically doesn't have on that level except for the breath weapon, but feels like it fits given Seira's growth). I put it at lvl13, though Goldenfire is pretty good, I can see the range as 13-15 going off the other Visage spell.

Honest opinion? I think you have a bit too much going on here. That's a problem with combo spells like this - honesty greater visage of the deity has it too if I'm being real here, even with the understanding that's a temporary half celestial/fiendish template - and it feels like there's either a lot of unneeded cruft or you're trying to do everything in a single spell. I'd suggest paring away some of the extraneous stuff and focusing on the unique things here more. Drop what you don't need, keep what you do and then mix/adjust to a final product.

I'd suggest focusing it, honing it down and sharpening it. This helps provide ease of use, keeps the spell level under control and sharpens the thematics of the spell.

Also, the final result, especially if it deals with goldenfire, would be best if it is a 'kept in the faith' spell, like we were talking about on IRC. Remember, Seira can use goldenfire safely. Most mortals can't, look at the goldenfire spell metamagic.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on May 23, 2018, 06:48:43 PM
It was serendipity.

Now, hopefully he didn't see something he wasn't supposed to or anything...

That's a fair concern.
<Afina> Forever.