News:

I have a dream that one day, men will be punched in the face not for the color of their skin, but for the awful content of their character.

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on May 24, 2018, 02:44:04 AM
Submitting these for approval/updating. They're just alterations of energy type of the Sonic Weapon spell. I did not alter the spell level for any of them, including the Force variation. I figured since Sonic and Force are both fairly equally rare/hard to resist, they'd probably stay about the same level. These are the first set of spells being submitted with the intent to expand Alyssa's current tactic flexibility. I figure the cold/fire/electric versions won't see much use, but since I'm doing it, thought I shoud be comprehensive about it:

Acid Weapon
Transmutation [Acid]
Level: Bard 2, Sorcerer 2, Wizard 2, Spellthief 2,
Components: V,
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Weapon touched
Duration: 1 minute/level (D)

As you whisper the spell's arcane words, you drop a single drop of acid on the blade, shrouding the weapon in a thin sheen of acid.

While the spell is in effect, the affected weapon deals an extra 1d6 points of acid damage with each successful attack. The acid energy does not harm the weapon's wielder. Bows, crossbows, and slings that are affected by this spell bestow the sonic energy upon their ammunition.

Cold Weapon
Transmutation [Cold]

As you whisper the spell's arcane words, you breathe a single breath of visibly cold breath on the blade, shrouding the weapon in a thin sheen of frozen condensation.

While the spell is in effect, the affected weapon deals an extra 1d6 points of cold damage with each successful attack. The cold energy does not harm the weapon's wielder. Bows, crossbows, and slings that are affected by this spell bestow the sonic energy upon their ammunition.

Electric Weapon
Transmutation [Electric]

As you whisper the spell's arcane words, your hair stands on end briefly from transfering static electicity into the weapon, shrouding the weapon in a thin sheen of electricity.

While the spell is in effect, the affected weapon deals an extra 1d6 points of electric damage with each successful attack. The electric energy does not harm the weapon's wielder. Bows, crossbows, and slings that are affected by this spell bestow the sonic energy upon their ammunition.

Fire Weapon
Transmutation [Fire]

As you whisper the spell's arcane words, a haze of heat rises off of the weapon, shrouding it in a thin sheen of heat.

While the spell is in effect, the affected weapon deals an extra 1d6 points of fire damage with each successful attack. The fire energy does not harm the weapon's wielder. Bows, crossbows, and slings that are affected by this spell bestow the sonic energy upon their ammunition.

Force Weapon
Transmutation [Force]

As you whisper the spell's arcane words, the weapon is sheathed in a silvery light, shrouding it in a thin sheen of force energy.

While the spell is in effect, the affected weapon deals an extra 1d6 points of force damage with each successful attack. The force energy does not harm the weapon's wielder. Bows, crossbows, and slings that are affected by this spell bestow the sonic energy upon their ammunition.

I think what you're looking for is weapon of energy, Iddy. It's in the SC. Has the same rough ability with added flexibility at the time of casting.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on May 24, 2018, 03:06:23 AMRound 2. The following are spell versions of various weapon enchantments in the MiC. I've based the spell level off of the CL and prerequisite spell listed in the MiC entries for the enchantments. I tried to balance duration and level as best as I could judge, going off of the spell/CL listed in the MiC:

Blade of No Retreat
Transmutation
Level: Sorc/Wiz 5

The touched weapon is briefly shrouded in green energy. The next successful attack you make with it before the end of your turn prevents the target from using any form of extradimensional travel, as the dimensional anchor spell. This effect lasts until the beginning of your next turn. In all other ways, this effect functions as a Dimensional Anchor spell.

I'd bump this up to 6th level. Dimensional anchor is a 4th level spell, and having the ability to apply it over and over again over the duration's worth more than +1 level.

QuoteBlade of Divine Wrath
Transmutation
Level: Clr 7
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 round/level (D)

The touched weapon shines with an inner light, bathing the area in light for a moment before dimming to a dull glow. Whenever you hold such a weapon in your hand, you can expend a turn undead attempt to imbue it with divine power for 1 round. If your next successful attack with it hits an undead target, the weapon deals an extra 1d6 points of damage per point of Charisma bonus you possess (minimum 1d6).

What's that supposed to be copying? I mean, it reads like a feat.

QuoteBlade of Impeding
Transmutation
Level: Sorc/Wiz 6

The weapon briefly distorts crazily as it absorbs grey energy. When a creature is struck by the enchanted weapon, it's ability to cast spells or use spell-like abilities is impeded for 1d6 rounds. To cast an impeded spell or use an impeded spell-like ability, the creature must attempt a Spellcraft check, Intelligence check, or Charisma check (whichever one is made with the highest bonus). The DC for this check is 15 + the spell level. If the check succeeds, the effect functions normally; if the check fails, the effect does not function and the spell or the use of the spell-like ability is lost.

I'd change it to a flat Spellcraft check and drop the spell level to 5. The DC of the check isn't going to be competitive with how skills scale anyway.

QuoteShattering Blade
Transmutation
Level: Sorc/Wiz 5

The touched weapon briefly gains cracks of purple energy in it. Each time the weapon strikes a foe that has spell resistance, the value of that spell resistance is reduced by 2 for 1 round. The penalties for multiple hits during the same round stack.[/quote

Looks okay.

QuoteBlade of the Vampire
Transmutation
Level: Sorc/Wiz 4

The touched weapon is briefly shrouded in blood. A vampiric weapon deals an extra 1d6 points of damage to any living creature it hits, and you heal damage equal to this amount.

That's fine and about right, maybe a bit weak since I think psionics has that somewhere as a 2nd/3rd level power (but maybe psychic warrior only).
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Ebiris on May 24, 2018, 10:53:19 AM
Oh Dune, can I retrain Divine Might for Whirlwind Attack now we're out of combat?

Also what was that thing we could have figured out to let us skip the plot?

Sure, done.

It isn't spoiled yet, actually. Whatever it was, it either wasn't tied to your plot OR if it was, you haven't passed it yet.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on May 24, 2018, 11:00:38 AM
Yes, please tell us, I must admit it's been bothering me.

I'll let you all know about it when it happens.

Bonus hint: Moore made a private guess to me and was fairly close. Definitely was on the right track.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

May do a few more of these later, but I really need to post.

Dragonfire Burst
Evocation [Fire, Good]
Level: Pal 2
Components: V, DF
Casting Time: 1 swift action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/level

Your dragonfire wrath burns hotter and with a hint of gold, dealing an extra 1d8 points of damage. Any melee attack you make while under dragonfire's wrath counts as good to overcome damage reduction for the duration of this spell.

<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Making another draft of the secret Seira's faith spell Seira's Glorious Visage!
Spoiler: ShowHide

Seira's Glorious Visage
Transmutation [Good, Fire]
Level: Cleric 10, Paladin 5
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/level

You assume the physical appearance and many of the qualities and abilities of a movanic deva. While under the effect of the spell, your creature type changes to outsider (good) and your size changes to Medium. You have the space and reach of a movanic deva (5ft/5ft). You gain a +4 sacred bonus to Strength, Dexterity and Constitution. You gain darkvision out to 60ft. You gain a +4 sacred bonus on saving throws. You gain damage reduction 5/evil. Your base land speed increases by 10 feet. Your touch attacks and any melee weapons you wield become infused with this power as well. They are treated as good-aligned weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

You create a silvery glow around your body that provides illumination to a radius of 20 feet. Anyone within those 20 feet of you gains a +4 deflection bonus to AC and a +4 resistance bonus to saves against attacks made or effects created by evil creatures. You gain a -20 circumstance penalty on Stealth checks made while under the effect of this spell.

You gain the ability to use Dragonfire Wrath as a paladin of Seira. Add +1d8 fire to your damage rolls against an evil foe for every 5 levels you have. For the duration of this spell, you also gain the Stand Fast paladin ability as a paladin of your level.

You know how some spells let you cast them as swift if you're dragonblooded? Can there be something like that for the Seira followers? If so, would it cost another level?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Yuthirin

Quote from: Anastasia on May 24, 2018, 12:04:11 PM
Quote from: Corwin on May 24, 2018, 11:00:38 AM
Yes, please tell us, I must admit it's been bothering me.

I'll let you all know about it when it happens.

Bonus hint: Moore made a private guess to me and was fairly close. Definitely was on the right track.

What the hell are you guys talking about
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on May 24, 2018, 12:01:46 PM
Quote from: Iron Dragoon on May 24, 2018, 03:06:23 AM
QuoteBlade of Divine Wrath
Transmutation
Level: Clr 7

The touched weapon shines with an inner light, bathing the area in light for a moment before dimming to a dull glow. Whenever you hold such a weapon in your hand, you can expend a turn undead attempt to imbue it with divine power for 1 round. If your next successful attack with it hits an undead target, the weapon deals an extra 1d6 points of damage per point of Charisma bonus you possess (minimum 1d6).

What's that supposed to be copying? I mean, it reads like a feat.

Weapon enchantment of the same name in MiC, page 33.

DIVINE WRATH
Price: +1 bonus
Property: Weapon
Caster Level: 13th
Aura: Strong; (DC 21) evocation
Activation: Swift (mental)
This weapon has a golden sheen, and its grip is imprinted with a hand holding a lightning bolt. Divine wrath weapons are especially prized by paladins and clerics of Heironeous. Whenever you hold such a weapon in your hand, you can expend a turn undead attempt to imbue it with divine power for 1 round. If your next successful attack with it hits an undead target, the weapon deals an extra 1d6 points of damage per point of Charisma bonus you possess (minimum 1d6).
Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, searing light, turn undead, good alignment.
Cost to Create: Varies.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on May 24, 2018, 11:51:51 AM
I think what you're looking for is weapon of energy, Iddy. It's in the SC. Has the same rough ability with added flexibility at the time of casting.

Yup, that's a way easier way of it. Totally missed that spell. Will be learning.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on May 24, 2018, 12:01:46 PM
That's fine and about right, maybe a bit weak since I think psionics has that somewhere as a 2nd/3rd level power (but maybe psychic warrior only).

What about bumping it to a 1d8, if you think it's weak? Or dropping it to a Sorc/Wiz 3 spell? Either is fine with me. One gives a chance at a tiny bit more healing, the other helps with spell slot management. I almost prefer the second as most of the other spells are all level 4 or 5 anyway, so it'd be more helpful to me, personally.

If the impeding effect won't ever stack up against spellcraft DC then I guess there's not really a great reason to take it. I mean, if it won't work, it's a waste of spell, really.

Anastasia

Feeling a bit below the weather plus my ringing in the ears is worse than usual today. Gonna be no posting until session start, about 90 minutes.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Anastasia

Also I wrong topiced it, whoops. See downtime/away in a moment.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Some quick notes about the Makim scenario. After that sort of messy scenario, I think this sort of thing is useful.

Was it possible to diplomacy him? Sure. Difficult? Absolutely. He's powerful, cagey and weary of planar events, as shown there. Really, the mistake was not realizing he was a very powerful man who generally gets what he wants and expects others to listen to him. Something of an asshole like that, but openly defying him once he's made a promise? Bad idea. He's the sort of man who made his own world because he didn't like the current one. That implies a certain amount of not taking shit from others and getting his way, as well as from ruling it so long.

If Moore had tried to deal any damage to Makim or his allies, he would've killed Moore after taking all his memories. He wouldn't have kept the soul despite his promise, because quite frankly, that's a fair cause for Celestia to attack him over. Doesn't want or need that.

If Moore had killed anyone there, he would've killed Moore and kept his soul, and used that as a message to Celestia to kindly fuck off, and deal with the inevitable consequences. Bad end territory there for sure.

Moore was right about something there. Makim isn't an evil or a bad person. He's not going to kill someone who's not attacking him, words aside. He has to live with himself at the end of the day, and he knows by now what he can and can't live with.

Aurora was a sincere factor in his logic as well, as who wants Aurora and company crashing down on them via Ilsenine calling in favors? It's a probably scenario to him and he'd rather not deal with it. Who would? Aurora's full of crazy fucks who challenged Hell head on and won, that's about 1000% more crazy adventurer bullshit than he has tolerance for.

Thematically, Makim represents someone who has seen the shape of Creation and voluntarily excluded themselves from it. Many quest for the answer, but others see it and decide it's not a quest they wish to pursue. Makim is one of those people.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

The way Moore sees it, he got exactly what he wanted out of the situation, just in a very roundabout way.

To him, everything Makim got to see through his eyes are reasons for him to eventually decide to come out of hiding and do something. It's a situation of being judged by your worth, right?

Should he have run? Maybe. But that wasn't really the point to him -- he didn't come all that way just to run away from something scary. He'll stand and accept the consequences of his actions.

it was also really obvious that he was used to getting his way -- but that's why he couldn't do what he wanted. What's the point of keeping the status quo when there's so much more at stake outside? It was a gamble, like you said, and in some ways it might've failed, but I think it succeeded, too. He made his point that he wasn't going to be intimidated by him. Whatever happens from that we'll have to see.

I mean, the whole thing could've been different if he went in with his allies, but that was never the point -- he never wanted to force him to do anything. Whether he eventually comes around we'll just have to see, won't we?

EDIT: And honestly, even just attacking him in the first place is probably grounds for a lot of shit for him -- I think it's a pretty big planar faux pas to just attack someone who's attempting diplomacy from a planar power like that, especially when it isn't as if he broke in and was trying to do harm.

It's irrelevant, because Moore's not the type of person who'd seek revenge for this at all -- but that certainly is a thing, at least OOC anyway.

EDIT2: One more. The more I think about it, the more Makim ends up just coming off as a baby with a magic wand. He threw a temper tantrum because he didn't get what he wants and wanted to throw his weight around. What did he prove? "I'm stronger than you?" He already knew that. He knew from the outset that he couldn't beat him. (well, maybe with an antimagic ray or something but still)

That's not how Moore sees it -- but that's certainly a way to look at it.