News:

"Destiny Challenged us and so we chose to end the world.  There was nothing to regret.  Nothing."

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corwin

<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on May 25, 2018, 05:38:40 PM
The way Moore sees it, he got exactly what he wanted out of the situation, just in a very roundabout way.

To him, everything Makim got to see through his eyes are reasons for him to eventually decide to come out of hiding and do something. It's a situation of being judged by your worth, right?

Should he have run? Maybe. But that wasn't really the point to him -- he didn't come all that way just to run away from something scary. He'll stand and accept the consequences of his actions.

it was also really obvious that he was used to getting his way -- but that's why he couldn't do what he wanted. What's the point of keeping the status quo when there's so much more at stake outside? It was a gamble, like you said, and in some ways it might've failed, but I think it succeeded, too. He made his point that he wasn't going to be intimidated by him. Whatever happens from that we'll have to see.

I mean, the whole thing could've been different if he went in with his allies, but that was never the point -- he never wanted to force him to do anything. Whether he eventually comes around we'll just have to see, won't we?

EDIT: And honestly, even just attacking him in the first place is probably grounds for a lot of shit for him -- I think it's a pretty big planar faux pas to just attack someone who's attempting diplomacy from a planar power like that, especially when it isn't as if he broke in and was trying to do harm.

It's irrelevant, because Moore's not the type of person who'd seek revenge for this at all -- but that certainly is a thing, at least OOC anyway.

EDIT2: One more. The more I think about it, the more Makim ends up just coming off as a baby with a magic wand. He threw a temper tantrum because he didn't get what he wants and wanted to throw his weight around. What did he prove? "I'm stronger than you?" He already knew that. He knew from the outset that he couldn't beat him. (well, maybe with an antimagic ray or something but still)

That's not how Moore sees it -- but that's certainly a way to look at it.

I will say this without getting into the deeper discussion since posting - seeing Moore's memories did have an impact. What sort of an impact is left to your imagination. Lengthier posts will come a little later.

Also yes Cor, info sec is a thing and kaboom.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Quote from: Anastasia on May 24, 2018, 12:10:05 PM
May do a few more of these later, but I really need to post.

Dragonfire Burst
Evocation [Fire, Good]
Level: Pal 2
Components: V, DF
Casting Time: 1 swift action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/level

Your dragonfire wrath burns hotter and with a hint of gold, dealing an extra 1d8 points of damage. Any melee attack you make while under dragonfire's wrath counts as good to overcome damage reduction for the duration of this spell.

Cor, for the sake of my ease of organization, could you include this spell with any others of yours when I ask for all the spells at the end of this cycle? Thanks.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Sorry all, fell asleep on DM work last night. I was out cold.

Quote from: Corwin on May 24, 2018, 12:50:23 PM
Making another draft of the secret Seira's faith spell Seira's Glorious Visage!
Spoiler: ShowHide

Seira's Glorious Visage
Transmutation [Good, Fire]
Level: Cleric 10, Paladin 5
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action

You assume the physical appearance and many of the qualities and abilities of a movanic deva. While under the effect of the spell, your creature type changes to outsider (good) and your size changes to Medium. You have the space and reach of a movanic deva (5ft/5ft). You gain a +4 sacred bonus to Strength, Dexterity and Constitution. You gain darkvision out to 60ft. You gain a +4 sacred bonus on saving throws. You gain damage reduction 5/evil. Your base land speed increases by 10 feet. Your touch attacks and any melee weapons you wield become infused with this power as well. They are treated as good-aligned weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

You create a silvery glow around your body that provides illumination to a radius of 20 feet. Anyone within those 20 feet of you gains a +4 deflection bonus to AC and a +4 resistance bonus to saves against attacks made or effects created by evil creatures. You gain a -20 circumstance penalty on Stealth checks made while under the effect of this spell.

You gain the ability to use Dragonfire Wrath as a paladin of Seira. Add +1d8 fire to your damage rolls against an evil foe for every 5 levels you have. For the duration of this spell, you also gain the Stand Fast paladin ability as a paladin of your level.

You know how some spells let you cast them as swift if you're dragonblooded? Can there be something like that for the Seira followers? If so, would it cost another level?

I believe this just chopped off the goldenfire stuff and no other changes?

Re: Dragonblooded. It probably would, but I'd have to research how those spells work. I don't think I've ever used them much.

I'd suggest something like clr 10, pal 8. Paladins are delayed casting after all. They'd both get this at level 21 assuming full casting as it stands, which generally isn't quite how it works out for more spells. Should also explicitly specify if it stacks with paladin of Seira dragonfire wrath (as written I'd say no but it's not clearly written, so be specific there). Arguably, it would be better to write it as bonus fire damage and not directly copy a class feature, which can be stickier. Example: Your melee attack rolls deal an extra 1d8 fire damage, this damage rises by 1d18 per five caster levels, include reference to Seira paladins here to draw the connection'. Incidentally, I'd also clarify damage roll as as weapon damage rolls or similar, as the way you write it implies it would affect all damage rolls.

QuoteThrough your devotion to Seira you can call on purifying flames to cleanse evil. Once per day you may cloak a melee or natural weapon in these flames as a swift action, dealing grievous harm to evil. You deal an extra 1d8 points of fire damage per strike.

It's the sort of little thing D&D cares about.The base ability makes a note to clarify what precisely it applies to (melee weapons and natural weapons).

---

Powerwise, let's compare it to some single target booster spells of the same general area. I'm generally thinking of 1 round/level spells that enhance the caster. I'm not including polymorph subschool spells here, as while they do fit that criteria, have enough of their own rules going on that I don't feel it's a productive comparison.

- Vs Bite of the Werebear (top of the line spell for that chain, level 6 druid and level 7 wizard): Numbers are much smaller, but a far better bonus type, sacred vs enhancement. It lacks the bonus feats and some of the add ons there, but adds its own gimmicks to it. Bite of the Werebear feels like it's better if you just have one spell on you (hi druids) for sheer number escalation, but in a more powerful environment, the better damage type and other parts of this spell beat it pretty cleanly.

- Vs Greater Visage of the Deity (cleric 9): Less stat boosts and typed vs untyped, though admittedly the difference isn't as large as it might look on first glance (total 12 vs total 20, a few +2s slow deity down). Rest of it goes to the Seira spell, it offers more and the rest ofthe benefits of the template aren't that stellar besides flight (which is probably redundant at that level anyway). I'd say the extra damage puts this spell above Greater Visage of the Deity, with the holy aura-esque aura around you just cementing it.  Exception: Some really MAD types may get more out of deity, like Stille.

- Vs Might of the Solar (wizard 11): Basically a scaled up version of Bite of the Werebear with an added bane function to your weapons. Barring niche situations where the bonus isn't all that productive to use (hi anyone with DvR0 or higher), Might of the Solar strikes me as a little better. +18 to all three physical stats is huge, even if being enhancement takes a bite out of the gain. Glorious Visage has a lot more versatility, which makes it closer (and arguably a better spell, depending on how much you value combo platter boosts).

So 10's in the right ballpark. I may bump it up based on play experience.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on May 24, 2018, 03:37:10 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on May 24, 2018, 12:04:11 PM
Quote from: Corwin on May 24, 2018, 11:00:38 AM
Yes, please tell us, I must admit it's been bothering me.

I'll let you all know about it when it happens.

Bonus hint: Moore made a private guess to me and was fairly close. Definitely was on the right track.

What the hell are you guys talking about

Back in week 1, I mentioned that someone had the chance to put some pieces together and make a significant plot skip if they realized it. I didn't say who missed it so it's a matter of some consideration. It could be assembled together based on things that person should know, but it would require putting some things together as well a few reasoned considerations and a bit of luck. A long shot but plausible in other words. Neph examined it and came fairly close to the right answer.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on May 24, 2018, 05:07:30 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on May 24, 2018, 12:01:46 PM
Quote from: Iron Dragoon on May 24, 2018, 03:06:23 AM
QuoteBlade of Divine Wrath
Transmutation
Level: Clr 7
Range: Touch
Target: Weapon touched
Duration: 1 round/level (D)

The touched weapon shines with an inner light, bathing the area in light for a moment before dimming to a dull glow. Whenever you hold such a weapon in your hand, you can expend a turn undead attempt to imbue it with divine power for 1 round. If your next successful attack with it hits an undead target, the weapon deals an extra 1d6 points of damage per point of Charisma bonus you possess (minimum 1d6).

What's that supposed to be copying? I mean, it reads like a feat.

Weapon enchantment of the same name in MiC, page 33.

DIVINE WRATH
Price: +1 bonus
Property: Weapon
Caster Level: 13th
Aura: Strong; (DC 21) evocation
Activation: Swift (mental)
This weapon has a golden sheen, and its grip is imprinted with a hand holding a lightning bolt. Divine wrath weapons are especially prized by paladins and clerics of Heironeous. Whenever you hold such a weapon in your hand, you can expend a turn undead attempt to imbue it with divine power for 1 round. If your next successful attack with it hits an undead target, the weapon deals an extra 1d6 points of damage per point of Charisma bonus you possess (minimum 1d6).
Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, searing light, turn undead, good alignment.
Cost to Create: Varies.

I probably wouldn't do that as a spell, it doesn't really fit. That sort of ability trading is usually the domain of feats or the occasional weapon or armor enhancement.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on May 24, 2018, 05:14:18 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on May 24, 2018, 12:01:46 PM
That's fine and about right, maybe a bit weak since I think psionics has that somewhere as a 2nd/3rd level power (but maybe psychic warrior only).

What about bumping it to a 1d8, if you think it's weak? Or dropping it to a Sorc/Wiz 3 spell? Either is fine with me. One gives a chance at a tiny bit more healing, the other helps with spell slot management. I almost prefer the second as most of the other spells are all level 4 or 5 anyway, so it'd be more helpful to me, personally.

If the impeding effect won't ever stack up against spellcraft DC then I guess there's not really a great reason to take it. I mean, if it won't work, it's a waste of spell, really.

Yeah sure, edit it to 1d8 and have that edit in place when I ask for the round up at the end of this spell creation cycle.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on May 25, 2018, 05:38:40 PM
The way Moore sees it, he got exactly what he wanted out of the situation, just in a very roundabout way.

To him, everything Makim got to see through his eyes are reasons for him to eventually decide to come out of hiding and do something. It's a situation of being judged by your worth, right?

Sure, but that assume he thinks enough like you to agree with that. Different people have different views, after all, and even good people can disagree on a lot of things. Makim's alignment is some non-evil (not spoiling), but he's also chosen to focus on creating his own thing rather than fighting the good fight. Is that the wrong thing to do? Is it the wrong thing to do for a mortal soul to pass on and simply enjoy paradise rather than fighting evil for eternity?

Weighty questions to be sure.

QuoteIt was also really obvious that he was used to getting his way -- but that's why he couldn't do what he wanted. What's the point of keeping the status quo when there's so much more at stake outside? It was a gamble, like you said, and in some ways it might've failed, but I think it succeeded, too. He made his point that he wasn't going to be intimidated by him. Whatever happens from that we'll have to see.

Epic wizards of his caliber do tend to get their way, even if involves playing a game of chicken with killing someone. As he said, he doesn't like killing and he has to be able to live with himself, so killing someone who isn't attacking others (his comments about your words being a sword aside) isn't something he wants to do. He outright said he was hoping you'd run and that would be the end of it.

Ironically he still got his way, since he was willing to snack on your memories if all else failed. Just not the way he directly wanted.

QuoteEDIT: And honestly, even just attacking him in the first place is probably grounds for a lot of shit for him -- I think it's a pretty big planar faux pas to just attack someone who's attempting diplomacy from a planar power like that, especially when it isn't as if he broke in and was trying to do harm.

Hospitality is a thing and abusing it like that can be rough. I mean, it happens anyway, but it's bad form. Makim would also note it's bad form to keep going when your host asks you to stop something, too.

QuoteEDIT2: One more. The more I think about it, the more Makim ends up just coming off as a baby with a magic wand. He threw a temper tantrum because he didn't get what he wants and wanted to throw his weight around. What did he prove? "I'm stronger than you?" He already knew that. He knew from the outset that he couldn't beat him. (well, maybe with an antimagic ray or something but still)

That's not how Moore sees it -- but that's certainly a way to look at it.

From what Makim did and said, I think the way he wanted to come off was this: I don't want to, but I'll do what I need to stay out of the meaningless, eternal wars of Creation. If my freedom requires your demise to remind everyone that I'm not participating, then so be it.

Moore's really lucky he wasn't willing to provoke the shit storm of a response Moore's death would cause. Aurora was the main factor there - Celestia's one thing, but a group of adventurers who may not give a fuck and with Medi's legacy? Yeah, that's a risky calculus.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Weekly commentary time.

Tryll

Good stuff all week, I have to say. The Langersun plotline continues apace, with signs of trouble afloat everywhere. Fortunately Tryll's really good at finding things and willing to ignore privacy, so those followers of Imix were easily captured. Benyen and Dana just sort of happened and wasn't planned, poor Ebony. She's really wishing she put ranks into Perform (Cockblocking) now, isn't she? Really, no deeper comments this week, as it was mostly a transitional week after last week's Dana call out and Miranda chat. Next week should see more plot as you get deeper into the Langersun thing. By the way, I may try and sit down with you tomorrow sometime for a bonus session, so you can catch up. I'll see when you're around on IRC and where I'm at.

Also, I imagine Miranda staying at home and knitting, waiting for everyone to come back. Funny how that one worked out for her.

Alicia

The climax of the Avernus adventure was very solid and a nice recovery, I felt. I also felt that both Sulia and Latha got some needed development and framing after last week's missteps there, so that was all in all productive. I personally really enjoyed the Sulia and Ilmater interaction, both the obvious and more subtle interplays there. The rest of the week was good - framing the node boosts and trying to figure out why they're happening (this was always planned, rather than just making them a conceit everyone accepts without comment), then some strong character development.

Really, the entire bits of Alicia developing herself and benig a deity were all good this week. The challenge between Auril and Alicia is a longer term thing that should be fun to see unfold. Syala did good with the same general things, by the way, I liked how she came off there. She's deeper than just casual violence, and hasn't been in a violent situation yet.

Alyssa

This week was pretty much the ship dungeon scenario. I think that's going well, it's a decent dungeon gimmick that offers all sorts of interesting things. It's a little too early into it to say more, but next week should be fun. Otherwise, it's all about getting a grasp of how exactly Jarem and Alyssa interact, Jarem's openly feeling it out IC and Alyssa's semi sarcastic, semi oblivious replies (depending on how you interpret them) are great. Jarem's a bit of a player, working on establishing that just so without being too gimmicky or obnoxious is a trick. I'm not sure if he's successful at it or not overall, that'll probably depend on how he firms up as a character.

Combatwise, the dire tiger was no great challenge, just a warm up. Party functioned exactly as expected for it. Jarem struggles a bit with damage without spells or deific foes playing into it, so that fight was meant to establish that as a baseline. Still, against a dire tiger, he was able to deal more than enough damage.

Moore

This one will be short since the Makim thing is being discussed elsewhere. That aside, it was a solid enough week. Lots of homefront setup after a Sharran adventure and development, then more to bookend the week.  Not a lot to say here since I made a post about Makim before this, that's basically the elephant in the room.  At worst - you managed to survive, keep on surviving. Do not die.

I really enjoy Grias, by the way. He manages a fussy note or two while also being competent, it's nice.

Seira

See Alicia's comments for the fallout from Noir Jarden's climax and then dealing with Ilmater. Anyway, the rest of it was good - some time for Kascha to be in the sun and have fun referencing B3, then some strong Amaryl work to close out the week. In particular I like how she came off there - strong but also a supporter. As I said in chat, she's able to stand on her own, that includes being able to choose to support another instead of taking the forefront. That's part of who she is, after all. Donald had some great times too, he was strong throughout Noir Jardin.

Misc

Elegy did alright as a one shot character, he might return. I was feeling out his tone but he got a bit overshadowed by the circumstances of the affair. I was thinking a bit resigned and snarky by the end of it, really.

I never really gave too many details about Langersun beyond the absolute basics, so the rest of this is filling in the gaps. It's a cameo area by and large, and unless that changes, I don't see the need to. It was originally going to get more focus back in B3, but it never happened and Dana outgrew that quest. For all Dana's...well, Dana, she's not deeply vindictive. She gets over things by and large. She lives in the moment. She's gotten over Daddy and his stunts.

Makim and Seira can relate to a degree - Seira (and Cor OOC) struggled with some of the same sentiments in B1. It's a hard thing to face eternity and realize you can't smite it down. The ultimate battle of Creation has never been one settled with sword and sorcery, but in the quiet recesses of each and every soul within Creation. It's ultimately a question of philosophy, not a question of which side can successfully beat up the other. Oh sure, that happens plenty incidentally, but conflict is inevitable with the ethos competing and the greater divine Competition.

Speaking of, Auril's challenge - and using the word competition - is something deities do. Think the book of Job from the Bible. It's simply another way for the opposing sites to fight. Sometimes they really do pick particular challenges and certain mortals as pieces in that great game. Presenting it the way I did was meant to introduce the concept in a way besides an OOC info dump. I'm trying to avoid those and slowly build in deific concepts in play instead.

Finally, I'm probably going to enforce a new rule with rank checks. It'll read something like this 'For each divine immunity/thing that needs to be bypassed with one, the first check you make for that one decides if you succeed or not at it for the encounter.  For example, Glasya delaing negative levels for Alicia would check once, and that would determine if she can deal negative levels to her until the end of the encounter. If she then also did Charisma damage to her, that would be a second check to overcome that immunity.'

Basically looking to reduce the number of extraneous checks needed. Debating if that's precisely how I want to do it. It doesn't quite follow in form of similar things, though.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Elegy might send Seira a thank you note for the crystal! And for getting him out safely. It's cool if he comes visit again.

Makim's answer to the problems of creation is understandable, and I have to wonder who his wife is.

Kascha is best kid sister.

Ebiris

The climax really picked things back up for Avernus, I liked Seira interrupting the beam-o-war between Lixer and Zariel before fleeing as everything blew up. Similarly for all that getting stonewalled by Glasya rankled, ending that fight with an inconclusive draw isn't bad for setting things up. Glasya's style of corruptive evil is the sort that Alicia is focused against in particular, so it sets things up for further confrontations whether directly or through intermediaries.

Speaking of, getting into a competition with Auril is interesting since her brand of evil is pretty far down Alicia's list. Under normal circumstances they really wouldn't have much to do with one another. Can see it as Auril bigging herself up by picking fights outside her usual foes, since she's trying to step into Talos's shoes and be the main evil nature deity, picking and winning these sorts of fights can be seen as a way of expanding her own influence and reach. Also got a faint vibe of her deciding to show the newbie how it's done, like maybe making an example of her sure but also giving Alicia herself a chance to compete and be recognised on that sort of deific stage. If nothing else we know from B1 that Auril's got no love for Shar so there could be a bunch of layers going on here.

Back in Sylica I liked the post-Avernus wrap with everyone there. Was good to play with Marie acting the maid and being helpful/needling Antenora. Marie's pretty much retired from flying around shooting arrows at stuff and sticking to Alicia as a familiar, I feel like she almost exclusively spends her time managing stuff in Sylica these days. Might find a chance to change that and bring her out on an adventure soon, if not I may retire her early and let her take those banked up promotions.

As far as the deific stuff goes, it's a balance that's tricky to maintain. As an adventurer/hero Alicia would go around sticking her nose in everyone's business and being a do-gooder that was very visible and prominent. But since she never got much in the way of direct deific intervention in her life she doesn't feel right being very visible now she's a deity. But what's the point of having all that power if she can't do good with it? And what's the point of mortal life if everything dances on the strings of a deity watching over it? So she tries to find the middle in her dealings with the prime, to help people without stifling them or making them think everything'll be okay because a goddess is watching over them.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on May 26, 2018, 08:58:51 AM
Elegy might send Seira a thank you note for the crystal! And for getting him out safely. It's cool if he comes visit again.

He may in time, but at the moment you have enough on your plate.

QuoteMakim's answer to the problems of creation is understandable, and I have to wonder who his wife is.

His wife has never shown up before or anything, she's a nymph sorceress. Isn't likely to come up anytime soon and is hardly a spoiler.

I don't think I quite agree with the choices Makim's made, but I understand why.

QuoteKascha is best kid sister.

Kid sister, mom, big sister. She fills all the roles well.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

And another protospell! This one seeks to boost casters directly.

My inspiration:

Spell Enhancer
Spell Enhancer
(Spell Compendium, p. 198)

Transmutation
Level: Sorcerer 4, Wizard 4, Spellthief 4,
Components: V,
Casting Time: 1 swift action
Duration: 1 round

You utter an ancient word tied to the fundamental principles of magic and immediately begin casting another spell.

This spell enhances the next spell you cast, making it more difficult for targets to resist. The next spell you cast this round is cast at +2 caster level, and its save DC increases by 1.

Duelward

Duelward
(Complete Arcane, p. 103)

Abjuration
Level: Sorcerer 5, Wizard 5,
Components: V, S, M,
Duration: 1 round/level or until discharged (D)

You mantle yourself in a powerful magical field that facilitates your defense against enemy spells. While a duelward is in effect, counterspelling is an immediate action for you, allowing you to counterspell even when it is not your turn without having previously readied an action. You also gain a +4 competence bonus on Spellcraft checks made to identify spells being cast.

The first time you successfully counterspell while the spell is in effect (whether you counterspell as an immediate action or not), duelward is discharged.

Material Component: A miniature silk glove.

Thus!

Seira's Arcane Thesis
Seira's Arcane Thesis
Transmutation
Level: Sorcerer ??, Wizard ??
Components: V

You mantle yourself in a powerful magical field that facilitates both your magical offense and defense. Your spells are stronger and much harder to resist, cast at +10 caster level, and their save DC increased by 5. As for your defense against hostile magic, counterspelling is an immediate action for you, allowing you to counterspell even when it is not your turn without having previously readied an action. You must still have the immediate actions available to counterspell in this manner.

Also, this spell gets the leftovers of what I hoped to accomplish with already-posted spells:

Seira's Majestic Visage

Seira's Majestic Visage
Transmutation
Level: Cleric ???, Wiz/Sor ???, Druid ???

A spell created by Seira herself through inspiration of her friend Alicia, designed to elevate the caster into a class of their own while faced with terrible odds. The caster is surrounded by a fiery haze, radiant and terrible beyond measure. Her allies are reassured, even awed, while the evil she faces down is cowed with the surety of its defeat.

You become a blazingly hot beacon of the powers of good. Your creature type changes to outsider for the duration of the spell. Unlike other outsiders, you can be brought back from the dead if you are killed in this form.

You undergo the following transformations:
• You grow feathered wings that allow you to fly at twice your normal speed (good maneuverability).
• You gain +1 natural armor.
• You gain low-light vision.
• You gain resistance to acid 10, cold 10, and electricity 10.
• You gain immunity to disease.
• You gain a +4 racial bonus on saving throws against poison.
• You gain damage reduction 10/magic.
• You gain spell resistance 25.
• You gain the following bonuses to your ability scores: +4 Str, +2 Dex, +4 Con, +2 Int, +4 Wis, +4 Cha.

You gain a +10 enhancement bonus on Diplomacy checks with Good characters, and a +10 enhancement bonus on Intimidate checks with Evil characters for the duration of the spell.

Any fire you generate during the duration of the spell becomes Goldenfire, ignoring fire resistance or immunity and dealing x1.5 more damage to Evil targets and no damage at all to Neutral and Good targets.

Anastasia

Quote from: Ebiris on May 26, 2018, 09:11:49 AMThe climax really picked things back up for Avernus, I liked Seira interrupting the beam-o-war between Lixer and Zariel before fleeing as everything blew up. Similarly for all that getting stonewalled by Glasya rankled, ending that fight with an inconclusive draw isn't bad for setting things up. Glasya's style of corruptive evil is the sort that Alicia is focused against in particular, so it sets things up for further confrontations whether directly or through intermediaries.

I liked Seira's interrupt there as well. That was a nice one-two-three combo that resolved quickly, and it showed Lixer simply wasn't willing to risk things going even further afoul. Rather he went for the blow it all up approach, but Zariel was able to use some of the last of her divine control over Avernus to teleport through the severed astral links. The entire scenario was suited for that IF and big if, Seira was quick about it and didn't try to push her luck. Lixer teleporting away wasn't waving the white flag, it was him switching to a new and deadly tactic.

Agreed on the Glasya fight. Good ending to it and I think it sets up things well later. A lot of stuff on Avernus was meant to be future set up.

QuoteSpeaking of, getting into a competition with Auril is interesting since her brand of evil is pretty far down Alicia's list. Under normal circumstances they really wouldn't have much to do with one another. Can see it as Auril bigging herself up by picking fights outside her usual foes, since she's trying to step into Talos's shoes and be the main evil nature deity, picking and winning these sorts of fights can be seen as a way of expanding her own influence and reach. Also got a faint vibe of her deciding to show the newbie how it's done, like maybe making an example of her sure but also giving Alicia herself a chance to compete and be recognised on that sort of deific stage. If nothing else we know from B1 that Auril's got no love for Shar so there could be a bunch of layers going on here.

That's fairly on point and one part really is: There's a bunch of motivations in play for Auril. Sure it was meant to be a demo, but it's also well reasoned and she has her motivations for doing so. Auril made the most sense to use here for tons of reasons, so I rolled with it.

Also, this shows that not every deific encounter between opposites is automatically a battle. Sometimes they simply compete, talk or ignore each other. Deities work on a lot of layers and sometimes it's not about fighting each other directly. Especially because everyone has a reason to need to be able to talk to everyone at some point. The Red Knight's flavor block has one example of this:

QuoteIt is said that Asmodeus and the Red Knight are both aware, and aware that they are aware, and making contingency plans about the other being aware that they are aware...and so forth and so on. Asmodeus would indeed like to make her bend the knee to him, but is content to leave her unchallenged. In the event Tempus is ever destroyed or dethroned, the Red Knight taking over would be to order's advantage, even if she makes no further move towards Baator. In truth, both are aware of each other's plans for each other and make countermeasures accordingly. Though neither would easily admit it, they find it an enjoyable past time. In the rare cases that a devil comes to venerate the Red Knight, the two engage in a grand game of chess with the offending devil as the prize.

Images like that are just as valid as throwing 50+ hit dice deities against each other in cage deathmatches.

QuoteBack in Sylica I liked the post-Avernus wrap with everyone there. Was good to play with Marie acting the maid and being helpful/needling Antenora. Marie's pretty much retired from flying around shooting arrows at stuff and sticking to Alicia as a familiar, I feel like she almost exclusively spends her time managing stuff in Sylica these days. Might find a chance to change that and bring her out on an adventure soon, if not I may retire her early and let her take those banked up promotions.

Agreed with Marie. Her being around isn't about being a secretary entirely, but being a character. Whatever facilitates that best is my preference.

QuoteAs far as the deific stuff goes, it's a balance that's tricky to maintain. As an adventurer/hero Alicia would go around sticking her nose in everyone's business and being a do-gooder that was very visible and prominent. But since she never got much in the way of direct deific intervention in her life she doesn't feel right being very visible now she's a deity. But what's the point of having all that power if she can't do good with it? And what's the point of mortal life if everything dances on the strings of a deity watching over it? So she tries to find the middle in her dealings with the prime, to help people without stifling them or making them think everything'll be okay because a goddess is watching over them.

That's a pertinent question every deity has to answer early on in their divine careers. The answers vary far and wide, and sometimes change as they gain experience. Finding that balance is part of the early game for both you and Seira. Simply nudging things a bit for a good outcome (the spider and the bell) is how a lot of deities act, especially when they want to be subtle. A nudge here, a push there and you get the outcome with no one the wiser.

Deities have tons of tools to affect the world and spread what they are. Choosing how to use those and which ones to use is part of growing into the position. Alicia strikes me like you played her - a supporter, helping quietly when needed but only bringing the thunder when really appropriate.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Seira doesn't mind Alicia's way of handling things, she just finds a different approach suits her best.

As for Lixer, despite the odds being against me I had a shot at killing him! Just look at my avatar getting two natural twenties in the same attack routine~

So he totes ran away in time.

But what was that about Seira not wasting her time? She pretty much headed down and then agreed to trust Zariel without lengthy interrogations, is that what you meant?