News:

"It occured to me while drunk, so it must have been genius."

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Monday's Spell Booster installment.

The archons of Mount Celestia are dedicated in their mission to eliminate evil. This takes many forms and paths, including epic level spells. This is one such spell, created by a forgotten throne archon that found a way to temporarily bestow a fragment of Celestia's majesty onto another creature. With a sacrifice of part of one's ego and force of personality, the resonation of that sacrifice can draw in the power of Celestia.

This is not a spell to be used lightly, both for the cost and the gift it gives.

Blessing of the Throne
Transmutation [Good, Lawful]
Level: Sanctified 13
Components: V, Archon, Sacrifice
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 1 min/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

You call on the Seven Heavens of Mount Celestia to bless the creature touched, giving them all the august power and authority of Celestia's champions. This grants the creature touched a +4 sacred bonus to all ability scores. They also gain the penitentiary gaze, aura of menace, teleport, tongues and magic circle against evil abilities of a throne archon. Finally, they gain a +8 racial bonus to Intimidate and Sense Motive checks.

The creature touched uses their ability scores and hit dice to determine the save DC of penitentiary gaze and aura of menace.

This spell fails if used on a non good creature. Throne archons gain no benefit from this spell.

Sacrifice

1d4 points of Charisma drain.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Quote from: Anastasia on October 14, 2018, 09:57:47 PM
Star Explosion
Evocation [Good, Light]
Level: Sanctified 10
Components: V, S, Sacrifice
Range: Long (400ft + 40ft/level)
Area: 70ft radius spread
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: Yes

A burst of radiant stars deals 1d6 points of damage per caster level (maximum 25d6). Creatures vulnerable to bright light (including sunlight) take 25d10 points of damage instead.

Sacrifice

1d2 points of Strength damage.

I'm not quite happy with it, but for no reason I can adequately describe. It's good enough to try out so to the Spell Collection it goes.

Edit: Tweaked it up slightly with +10ft to its radius. That's the real draw, nontyped damage over a big radius.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on October 14, 2018, 10:51:22 PM
Xandra. Moore has Cleric casting so one day will get it.

There really aren't a lot of anti-evil sorc/wiz spells, but Sanctified casting would absolutely fit that bill, I think.

There aren't. This came up a few months ago with Cor, anti evil spells tend to be more of a cleric or sanctified spell thing. Arcane magic tends to be more classical sorcery, touching on issues of darkness more than holiness. I consider them somewhat out of specialization for sor/wiz magic. Not as badly as something like healing, which is traditionally kept to clerics and divine casters with a few exceptions, but still outside of their wheelhouse.

So yeah, I'd prefer to mostly stick to sanctified magic for her, especially because she can bear the sacrifice costs when needed. It's on theme for her.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

That's fine. I'll look at other Sanctified spells and see what I can come up with.

Nephrite

So, I have no idea if this is too strong, too weak, just right or even really a "Sanctified" spell due to the tacked on effect, but here's a thing. I apologize in advance for formatting issues that may be present in this as I don't know a lot of spells that have secondary effects like this one.

Lightbound
Evocation [Good, Light]
Level: Sanctified 12
Range: Medium (100ft + 10ft/level)
Effect: Ray
Duration: Instantaneous, 1 minute/level, see text

A brilliant white ray leaps from your outstretched hand. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack to hit your target. Any creature struck by this ray takes 1d6 points of damage per caster level (max 25d6 damage). Additionally, evil creatures are affected as if by a dimensional anchor spell.

Sacrifice

1d4 points of Strength damage.

Anastasia

Tuesday's Spell Booster release.

Every epic spell has a story behind it, if one is willing to invest the time to learn it. Silverfrost's story is that it was created by the Frost Daughters, a fanatical sect of half white dragon succubi who serve Auril. One tenet of their depraved faith is that none but they are worthy to stand in Auril's presence, all others must bow and supplicate themselves before the Frostmaiden. In time this belief became more and more important to them, leading to their leader at the time developing this spell based on that tenet.

This spell is not evil despite its origins, merely as cold as Auril's own black heart.

Silverfrost
Conjuration (Creation) [Cold]
Level: Sor/Wiz 11
Components: V, S
Range: 20ft/level
Area: 20ft/level radius spherical emanation, centered on you
Spell Resistance: No

All the ground within the area of the spell are covered with a thick layer of shining silver frost. Squares affected by this are treated as difficult terrain. Additionally, any creature who attempts to move through squares affected by silverfrost succeed on an Acrobatics check when they enter the first square with silverfrost, failure results in falling prone. The DC is equal to your caster level + 10. A creature only makes one Acrobatics check per round, no matter how many squares of silverfrost it passes through. A creature that attempts to stand up from being rpone in a square affected by silverfrost must succeed on the same Acrobatics check or be unable to stand up that turn.

Any creature that is prone at the beginning of their turn in a square affected by silverfrost takes 5d6 points of cold damage.

This spell only impedes creatures who move on the ground. Flying creatures are not affected by it unless they land.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Wednesday? SPELL BOOSTER TIME.

Miranda is ultimately a simple sort. While she knows strategy and tactics, she is most comfortable firing arrows from start to finish. She focuses on her favored enemies above everything else, seeking to strike them down whenever she can. This spell is a logical extension of her, in the works once she has 8th level spellcasting.

Miranda's Banecrush
Evocation
Level: Rgr 8
Components: V, S
Range: Personal
Target: You

All of your ranged attacks against your favored enemies deal an extra 4d6 points of damage as well as 1 point of Constitution damage.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Re: Iddy's two other spells.

Power of the Spellpool: I'm just going to nix this one entirely. Neat idea but it didn't pan out, that happens.
Spellpool Enhancer: I'm going to nix this one, but for a different reason. Some sort of expanded spell pool switching and recall could be possible, but it feels the domain of an epic feat for epic Mage of the Arcane Order.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on October 15, 2018, 05:19:25 PM
So, I have no idea if this is too strong, too weak, just right or even really a "Sanctified" spell due to the tacked on effect, but here's a thing. I apologize in advance for formatting issues that may be present in this as I don't know a lot of spells that have secondary effects like this one.

Lightbound
Evocation [Good, Light]
Effect: Ray

A brilliant white ray leaps from your outstretched hand. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack to hit your target. Any creature struck by this ray takes 1d6 points of damage per caster level (max 25d6 damage). Additionally, evil creatures are affected as if by a dimensional anchor spell.

Sacrifice

Too weak. I'd compare it to 12th level spells and adjust upward.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Okay, I fiddled with it. I'm not sure if the 'hitting multiple creatures' thing makes it too good or not.

Lightbound
Evocation [Good, Light]
Target: 1 creature/5 levels

Brilliant white light flies from your hand at your opponents. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack to hit your targets. Any creature struck by this ray takes 1d6 points of damage per caster level (max 25d6 damage). Additionally, nongood creatures are affected as if by a dimensional anchor spell.

Sacrifice

Corwin

I want Chan's spell! She gypped me!

I also hope it fits my dream spells of using fire in a burst/spread to hit only evil dudes.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on October 17, 2018, 01:42:34 PM
I want Chan's spell! She gypped me!

I also hope it fits my dream spells of using fire in a burst/spread to hit only evil dudes.

It's on my todo list, I'm just doing a ton of spells as it is. I'll see about getting it up tonight.

Total honesty: You're mid adventure so it's low priority due to that. Keep the dungeons running first of all, then prep and a bunch of other things. Busy DMs are quite busy, y'know?
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Iron Dragoon

Was a decent day. Plodding foundation progress, as always.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.