"Why do you call it soulriders?"
"Because we grind your souls, hopes, and dreams down ... and ride the wave."

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on January 02, 2020, 09:15:42 PM
If anyone's looking for good colors for divine text, here you go: https://absitomen.com/index.php?topic=331.0

That is useful. There's various online repositories of color and HTML codes, I use them myself.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Iron Dragoon

This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Corwin

Can there be a greater version of Contingency that allows for a spell higher than lvl6? A spell of a level under a third of CL without that limit should work well.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Oberuth reaches level 35.

- Fighter 35 and Dwarven Defender 25.
- Maximum hit points per hit die, for a total of 35 hit points and a grand total of 1205 hit points.
- +1 BAB for a total of 35.
- Favored enemy (beyond) rises by 2 to +6.
- Regeneration increases by 10.
- Gains another daily use of defensive stance.
- All saves rise by one.
- Skills go up as normal.
- Bulwark of Defense(DD25) as his bonus feat.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on January 04, 2020, 05:10:23 PM
Can there be a greater version of Contingency that allows for a spell higher than lvl6? A spell of a level under a third of CL without that limit should work well.

Got any particular spell combos in mind here? Let me see what you have in mind before I rule.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

I was thinking of Many Moments of Prescience via Contingency when I asked. As for other potential spells.... Three-Fold Breath, Might of the Solar, Greater Dispelling Breath. In the future, Seira's Arcane Thesis, Lightning's Rise and Space Compression.

Corwin

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on January 12, 2020, 08:13:12 AM
I was thinking of Many Moments of Prescience via Contingency when I asked. As for other potential spells.... Three-Fold Breath, Might of the Solar, Greater Dispelling Breath. In the future, Seira's Arcane Thesis, Lightning's Rise and Space Compression.

To be fully honest, I don't really have any mechanical complaint with the idea. It probably balances okay, so write up a version and post it here, let me see how it looks.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Sylvie's updated for DvR1. A few bits from it.

DIVINE FACTOTUM
The deity is the epitome of the factotum and has abilities that far surpass that of mortal factotums.
Prerequisites: Factotum level 20th, Font of Inspiration
Benefit: The deity gains Aura of Inspiration, Improved Cunning Insight, Improved Cunning Knowledge and Source of Inspiration as bonus feats. She gains extra inspiration points per encounter equal to her divine rank.

New material and needed, as there's a few other high level factotums out there such as Alyssa and Ranbar. It's four feats + bonus inspiration. It's hardly flashy but it's solid, like all of the divine x feats.

DIVINE APTITUDE
Prerequisite: Swift Refocus, Chameleon level 20th, int 39
Benefit: The deity can change her aptitude focuses as a swift action. Unlike a mortal chameleon, if the deity chooses the arcane or divine focuses, she instantly has her spells prepared. She can change her aptitude an unlimited number of times per day. Whenever you change your aptitude focus, you can change your chameleon bonus feat as well.
Notes: The deity only has one allotment of arcane and divine spells from those focuses, no matter how many times she changes her focus in a day.

This is not new, as it's from Selune's statblock. Sylvie borrows it for her own purposes, as it's not built for Selune in particular. It's also a mild exception to the unspoken rule that divine x feats are base classes only. I meant this as an exception to that rule due to the nature of chameleon and Selune's build, it just happens to be relevant in this game.

Domains: Competition, Knowledge, Mentalism, Mind

There's nothing surprising there. Competition fits her nature to be the best at whatever she cares to try, while the rest are all mind/knowledge focused domains. Sylvie is what she is. If she ever gets another domain, she might grab Destiny as a nod to the heavy destiny she got wrapped up in.

Salient Divine Abilities: Divine Aptitude, Divine Factotum, Extra Domain(Mentalism), Increased Spell Resistance, Know Secrets

Not many SDAs really appealed to Sylvie. The first two felt automatic for her, extra domain was a filler, increased SR is a trick that appeals to her and know secrets fits her. A lot of the knowledge SDAs are restricted to higher DvRs and/or require bardic knowledge or lore. When/if she has another and make s a custom SDA, it will probably revolve around giving her a lore special ability, as it fits her but she could never work it in mechanically.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

I'm putting this question and answer here for everyone's reference. It's an interesting corner case.

Q: Can Planar Bubble allow you to make a plane divinely morphic, and more importantly, allow you to alter that plane as if it were your home plane? Assuming you're a deity to begin with.

A: No. Short version: A non epic spell simply isn't sufficient to allow such a thing. It isn't the changing of it per se or the strength of the deity in question, but deities and powers are tied to their planes. This is not something changed trivially. OOC wise, it's simply a case where Planar Bubble was not designed to be able to do this and is outside of the bounds of the spell's intent. It may be possible for an epic spell to do something like that, it may not be. A custom SDA suited to someone could allow it in specific circumstances, such as Selune's Moonmaiden allowing to treat the Moon and an area around it as her divine realm.

On a loosely related note, Planar Bubble also won't prevent a spiritual wound on the Prime. It may make it worse if anything.

This all came up on IRC based on a Seira question today and I want it here for reference. It got me thinking, it's a really interesting application of Planar Bubble and it raised some questions.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

I'm working on some tools for the faithful of the various newly risen deities. Suggestions and feedback on these are welcome. For what it's worth, the Antenora one's about done and it is what it is. It's fitting but I don't think it really moves the needle. Amaryl's is more interesting and tries to be a fair trade for favored enemy. When you consider how much ranger stuff ties to favored enemy, I don't know if it's worth it, but I think it's reasonably balanced with a nice bonus capstone at 20th level. The Syala one I'm the most concerned about, it's a bit iffy number crunching-wise I think, since a treant is a pretty strong monster for 5th level.

Note that this is for DvR1+es, so the 0s aren't up yet. Also note Sylvie passes for obvious reasons considering she doesn't want to be worshiped. She'd probably tell them to go take factotum levels, anyway.

Alternate Class Feature: Touch of Redemption

Antenora's paladins do not banish diseases of the body, but of the soul.

Class: Paladin

Deity: Antenora

Level: 6th

Replaces: If you select this alternate class feature, you do not gain remove disease.

Benefit: At 6th level you gain the ability to forgive the sins of another. You may cast atonement once per week as a spell-like ability. Unlike a normal atonement spell, this spell is capable of changing the alignment of a creature normally unable to change their alignment. They must be willing to change of their own free will.

At 9th level and every 3 levels thereafter, you gain an additional weekly use of atonement.

Alternate Class Feature: Blazing Shot

Rangers who follow the ways of the Princess of the Cauldron can light their arrows with the embers of the Cauldron's fires.

Class: Ranger

Deity: Amaryl Gaial

Level: 1st

Replaces: If you select this alternate class feature, you do not gain favored enemy.

Benefit: You can light your arrows with fires that burn bright and true. As a free action when you make a ranged attack, you may ignite your ranged attacks with fire, which deals an extra 1d6 points of fire damage per attack. The fire from these arrows never sets the terrain around them on fire.

At 5th level and every 5 levels thereafter, the extra damage rises by 1d6 (2d6 at level 5, 3d6 at level 10 and so forth).

At 20th level, any time you deal damage with this ability to a creature, the creature takes extra damage equal to your extra fire damage from this ability at the start of their next turn.

You might expect a druid ACF here. So says Syala: Just take the ACFs I did, they're fine.

They actually are pretty solid if you don't want shapeshift.

Alternate Class Feature: Tree Guardian

Champions who serve Syala find a creature of the forest protects them.

Class: Paladin of Freedom

Deity: Syala

Level: 5th

Replaces: If you select this alternate class feature, you do not gain special mount.

Benefit: When you reach 5th level, a treant rises to serve you. This is identical to a special mount, except your suffer a -4 penalty to your paladin level to determine bonus hit dice, natural armor adjustment, strength adjustment, intelligence and special abilities.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

This is putting the cart before the horse, but sure.

Alternate Class Feature: Channel Inspiration

Moore's clergy sometimes choose to channel their divine connection with him into inspiration, rather than into energy.

Class: Cleric or Favored Soul

Deity: Moore

Level: 1st

Replaces: If you select this alternate class feature, you do not gain channel energy.

Benefit: Benefit: At first level, you gain the ability to Inspire Courage, as a bard of the same level. You gain Inspire Competence at 3rd level.

You may use these abilities a number of times per day equal to your cleric level.

Anastasia

Trivia: I slept from 10 PM to 9 AM. Muscle relaxers knock me out, glad I ran late yesterday.

That aside the above's fine, I'd edit it a bit for D&Dese but the idea's fine.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Ianvasah's alignment in Shar's Embrace is now Neutral with Neutral Good tendencies. To quote:

> If it mattered at all for oblivion, I'd bump her alignment to N with NG tendencies or maybe even NG outright. The ultimate sacrifice of the self to save another's a pretty good aligned way to go out.

It doesn't matter for Ianvasah at all, but I feel the last moment change is justified.
<Afina> Forever.