News:

Populated by the admins and moderators of your other favorite sites!

Main Menu

Loot and Artifacts: Gimme!

Started by Anastasia, April 17, 2018, 02:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

First part is solid, second part's interesting but probably expensive. Third part feels a little off - it's rare to get half an ability modifier instead of the full ability modifier.

I can follow the reasoning for the first two, but I'm curious as to the reasoning for the third.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Nephrite

It was really just to keep it in line with the bonuses warmages get and their focus on Intelligence. I can try and come up with something else, though.

Anastasia

It feels a little extraneous to the class, yeah. The defensive ability they get is the ability to use armor without arcane spell failure, perhaps look into that and find a way to work with it?
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

How about this?

Ring of Warmagic

This simple band of white gold is rather unassuming at first glance. If worn by a character without levels in Warmage, it provides no benefit whatsoever. When worn by a Warmage, this ring empowers them; your warmage level is treated as five levels higher to determine the damage bonus of warmage edge. In addition, the warmage may use their Sudden metamagics from Warmage class levels an additional time per day. Finally, this ring increases the save DC of any evocation spell by 2.

I have no idea if 2 is too strong, "okay" or too weak, but I thought it fit the theme in a decent way.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on July 18, 2019, 09:54:37 PM
How about this?

Ring of Warmagic

This simple band of white gold is rather unassuming at first glance. If worn by a character without levels in Warmage, it provides no benefit whatsoever. When worn by a Warmage, this ring empowers them; your warmage level is treated as five levels higher to determine the damage bonus of warmage edge. In addition, the warmage may use their Sudden metamagics from Warmage class levels an additional time per day. Finally, this ring increases the save DC of any evocation spell by 2.

I have no idea if 2 is too strong, "okay" or too weak, but I thought it fit the theme in a decent way.

That's a pretty big DC boost. On the other hand, it's for warmages and warmages have issues, so being a bit high on the optimization there's reasonable.

I'd suggest changing the DC boost to explicitly work only for your warmage spells to avoid shenanigans.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Ring of Warmagic

This simple band of white gold is rather unassuming at first glance. If worn by a character without levels in Warmage, it provides no benefit whatsoever. When worn by a Warmage, this ring empowers them; your warmage level is treated as five levels higher to determine the damage bonus of warmage edge. In addition, the warmage may use their Sudden metamagics from Warmage class levels an additional time per day. Finally, this ring increases the save DC of any warmage spell by 2.

Anastasia

As always, pricing class items is hard because you have to deal with both traditional balance and how the class itself balances. In this case, the ring really rewards taking many levels in warmage, which is certainly a mitigating factor for the price. Nonetheless, a warmage who runs warmage absolutely wants this ring, and a warmage based caster who prestige classes out wants it only slightly less.

A +5 damage bonus to every damaging spell, a +2 to DCs and possibly extra uses of sudden metamagic is an excellent package. All things considered I want this on the higher end of non epic, expensive but worth it for a high level warmage. I'm going to peg it at 90,000 gold.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

I think that's a fair price for it. Does Xandra want one?

Anastasia

Yes. We'll see how it balances out on her. She'll add it to her rink for 135k total from node funds.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Anastasia

Okay, that's about 400k to play with for the others. Let me know if you see anything that fits.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

I will troll through other sheets for anything.

Anastasia

Cubic Monument

This cube is about the size of Hanna or so, hewn of solid stone from Jovar. It seems to be as much radiance as it is stone, filled with blessings for those that touch it. Those that touch it gain the following spells: Epic Mage Armor (CL24), Mind Blank (CL17) and Afina's Perfect Sight (CL27).
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Bowl of Taking

This bowl can steal treasures from up to seven creatures per round as a full round action. It steals one object from each creature that the wielder chooses (or the most valuable otherwise, though artifacts cannot be taken by this). Items taken are absorbed into the bowl and can be retrieved with the proper command word. The bowl can hold up to 100 objects at a time.

Feel free to rename this and post so here, I gave it a generic name.

Firebond Ring

Grants a +1 bonus to the caster level of spells with the fire descriptor.

Was there a third item I had to work out here, Cor?
<Afina> Forever.