News:

"I stand humbled by your vast My Little Pony knowledge."

Main Menu

Loot and Artifacts: Gimme!

Started by Anastasia, April 17, 2018, 02:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephrite

Moore gives Melia his Brightwater writ and 5000 gold.

Corwin

Quote from: Anastasia on October 17, 2018, 01:31:44 PM
Seira's Shar Smash

1 black sword
1 strange bowl
2 chakrams
3 rings
1 anklet

Hi! First of all, can I get this appraised, please?
Second, if this is all from within the structure, what about Amaryl's catch?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

Quote from: Corwin on October 01, 2018, 03:37:59 PM
I'll put my avatar on reading the ledgers, yeah. Let's see if it's anything good.

No price on the Hakimi ring? And Amaryl didn't grab anything from the inventory?

You answered on the Hakimi ring front, but not re: Amaryl, I'm afraid. Also, it's been a couple days, I think? Has my avatar decyphered the ledgers into something legible and profitable?

An extra question, are the magic carpets the 5x5 variants costing 20,000gp?

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on October 25, 2018, 04:00:19 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on October 17, 2018, 01:31:44 PM
Seira's Shar Smash

1 black sword
1 strange bowl
2 chakrams
3 rings
1 anklet

Hi! First of all, can I get this appraised, please?
Second, if this is all from within the structure, what about Amaryl's catch?

Thank you, forgot to do this. Doing so now. (Blame Disgaea, I am.) Reply in the next post.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Seira's Shar Smash

Sorrowful Sword: Large greatsword+6. Any damage this blade deals is vile damage. As a swift action, you may attempt to absorb a spell cast on you into the blade. Make an opposed caster level check, the sword has a modifier of 1d20+33. Success absorbs and negates the spell, failure has the spell unaffected.
Bowl of Lost Treasures: This bowl can steal treasures from up to ten creatures at once. It steals the magic item the creature values the most (as if by a Soul's Treasure Lost spell), except they are absorbed into the bowl rather than being destroyed. With the proper command word, objects absorbed by the bowl can be freed from it.
Dead Moons: 2 chakrams+6, unholy and returning. When both chakrams strike the creature, a delayed blast fireball modified by the corrupt spell metamagic is cast (CL24th), centered on where the creature stands.  The thrower of Dead Moons is immune to this fireball.
Ring of the Stalker: Grants a +15 competence bonus to Stealth checks and the ability to use greater invisibility (CL10th) once per day.
Shadowbond Ring: Grants a +1 bonus to caster level to spells that draw on shadows, such as shadow evocation.
Ring of Protection+5, grants a +2 profane bonus to saving throws.
Oulil Anklet: +10ft bonus to land movement speed. 
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Only the sword and chakrams are evil? How are the rest of the items priced?

Did Seven have no gear at all?

EDIT: Wait, Ring of Protection gives a profane bonus so it's probably also evil.

Corwin

This will be a post to summarize my item wishlist for the foreseeable future and to try and figure out how things work for me, money-wise.

1) Let's start with that last one! My economy and projects are assumed to advance my plot-based goals and provide anything I might wish, but specific combat-enhancing or exceptionally expensive items (those I can't easily create myself with divine powers, currently up to 4,500gp) I would need to pay for with gold. Is that correct?

Further, if I want an item costing 100,000gp to make, and Elle can make it, do I pay 100,000gp for it or 50,000gp?

2) Secondly, a clarification on magic items with several stacking abilities. I've done this a lot in B3, but I find myself rusty now. And when that happens, it's always a good time to reevaluate what you know.

From the SRD page on creating magical items:
QuoteMultiple Similar Abilities
For items with multiple similar abilities that don't take up space on a character's body use the following formula: Calculate the price of the single most costly ability, then add 75% of the value of the next most costly ability, plus one-half the value of any other abilities.

Multiple Different Abilities
Abilities such as an attack roll bonus or saving throw bonus and a spell-like function are not similar, and their values are simply added together to determine the cost. For items that do take up a space on a character's body each additional power not only has no discount but instead has a 50% increase in price.

I remember that when making an item with several different abilities we would have the most expensive power be paid in full as it serves as the base for the item, and every other (cheaper) additions to it had a 50% surcharge. But have we ever used the multiple similar abilities item creation rule? I'm asking because I have an idea for one, obviously, and I've seen you simply sum up all the similar components instead of either giving discounts or placing surcharges on them while tallying things up, so I'm not clear how it would work.

3) Now, onto the specific items I'm looking into.

Cord of Dispelling. At present I have it at +7, and my goal is to advance it to +10.

Ring of Wizardry. At present I have a Ring of Wizardry I through IV, and I'm wavering between slowly advancing it all the way to IX or skipping ahead and just adding one of the epic spell levels to it instead.

Boosting the Hope Diamond with Divine Favor functionality (+3 luck to Attack and to Damage). Amusingly, the Luckstone is made with Divine Favor at the base, so presumably the CL used there is sufficient, and the weird duration of Divine Favor (1 minute) is not an issue. Do you have any formula you could provide for me to use for this? Luckstones in Balmuria have gone 20,000gp for +1, 40,000gp for +2, 80,000gp for +3 (slotless items, of course).

Pearls of Power. Continuing the advance, pretty much. How much would X through XV each cost?

Aegis upgrade question. It's an artifact, but can I upgrade it from +6 to +10 if I wished, for example? The artifact part is its special ability, not its AC bonus.

How about the Bright Scale Cloak? Current version is [95,000gp]: Adds 4d10 holy damage to any breath weapon used by the wearer. What's the formula for it, if I want to turn it into a 6d10 or 8d10 or 10d10 bonus?

Anastasia

Stone of Goldenfire

This stone was given to Seira Aryn after a successful spar against Pistis Sophia. It is soaked in the insight of the misty hills of Solania and bolstered by the flames that eternally burn with Seira. The stone is small enough to comfortably fit within a human's closed hand and is primarily blue with bands of milky white as well as large flecks of gold.

When held by a good aligned creature or a worshiper of Seira, the stone grants a +15 insight bonus to any Knowledge checks about goldenfire.  Additionally, they find the ideas and philosophy of goldenfire spoken to them over time, heard in their mind and teaching them more about it. This can lead the holder to discover goldenfire and how to use it safely. They gain a +4 bonus to any checks to learn or master goldenfire, or against any saving throws from it, including any provoked from trying to learn it.

A neutral creature that holds the stone gains no benefit unless they worship Seira. An evil creature that holds or touches the stone takes 3d10 points of goldenfire damage. This damage is taken per round if the stone is held. There is no saving throw against this damage, but it ends once the stone is no longer held. If the holder of the stone is slain by a non good creature, that creature automatically takes 3d10 goldenfire damage.

Seira can provoke this goldenfire damage at will if she holds the stone. Doing so for her is a swift action.

Backend Stuff

Seira understands the stone perfectly and can discern where it is at any time (barring the actions of other deities or certain rare situations).

This stone is tied to the hope of someone who refuses to give up, even in an impossible battle. Should it be held by a good creature who willingly submits to and embraces evil in battle, the stone will be shattered and destroyed.

In time Seira could adjust the powers of the stone or even change it further within theme. This would require hands on time with the stone but allows customization. This will get harder the more its used, so if you want to change something, soonest is best. Right now the artifact is remade and reborn, in a phase where change is possible.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Moore gift from Ilsenine

Tear of Lifasa

This small piece of amber grants a +2 sacred bonus to saves against the spells and spell like abilities of fiends as well as a +5 bonus to maximum hit points.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Since Seira wanted pricing. Evil items are in red.

Sorrowful Sword: Large greatsword+6. Any damage this blade deals is vile damage. As a swift action, you may attempt to absorb a spell cast on you into the blade. Make an opposed caster level check, the sword has a modifier of 1d20+33. Success absorbs and negates the spell, failure has the spell unaffected. 350,000 gold.
Bowl of Lost Treasures: This bowl can steal treasures from up to ten creatures at once. It steals the magic item the creature values the most (as if by a Soul's Treasure Lost spell), except they are absorbed into the bowl rather than being destroyed. With the proper command word, objects absorbed by the bowl can be freed from it. 244,000 gold.
Dead Moons: 2 chakrams+6, unholy and returning. When both chakrams strike the creature, a delayed blast fireball modified by the corrupt spell metamagic is cast (CL24th), centered on where the creature stands.  The thrower of Dead Moons is immune to this fireball. 287,500 gold.
Ring of the Stalker: Grants a +15 competence bonus to Stealth checks and the ability to use greater invisibility (CL10th) once per day. 44,500 gold.
Shadowbond Ring: Grants a +1 bonus to caster level to spells that draw on shadows, such as shadow evocation. 25,000 gold.
Ring of Protection+5, grants a +2 profane bonus to saving throws. 62,000 gold.
Oulil Anklet: +10ft bonus to land movement speed: 3,000 gold.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on October 25, 2018, 05:53:30 PM
Only the sword and chakrams are evil? How are the rest of the items priced?

Did Seven have no gear at all?

EDIT: Wait, Ring of Protection gives a profane bonus so it's probably also evil.

Correct on what's evil.

Seven Loot

Dylisal: Earthbone Steel Heavy Mace+8, profane burst and impact. No price because Earthbone Steel is essentially priceless. You pay favors and other such things for it, not money.
Nightfall: Bracers of Armor+14. Grants a +2 profane bonus to the caster level of spells from the evil domain. 280,000 gold.

Seven: This circlet has powers wrapped in anathema. You'll need personal attention or more to work out its secrets.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

It is my understanding that this is something I can purify myself because it is both a mudane item and a non-epic one:

Assuming this is so, would it become the following?
Ring of Protection+5, grants a +2 sacred bonus to saving throws. 62,000 gold.

I presume I cannot purify this myself:
Nightfall: Bracers of Armor+14. Grants a +2 profane bonus to the caster level of spells from the evil domain. 280,000 gold.

Is that because the item is a named item, or because it's epic? Or both?

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on October 27, 2018, 11:02:11 AM
It is my understanding that this is something I can purify myself because it is both a mudane item and a non-epic one:

Assuming this is so, would it become the following?
Ring of Protection+5, grants a +2 sacred bonus to saving throws. 62,000 gold.

Yeah, that would be fine.

QuoteI presume I cannot purify this myself:

Is that because the item is a named item, or because it's epic? Or both?

Both. It's one of those in totality situations.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on October 25, 2018, 04:14:28 PMYou answered on the Hakimi ring front, but not re: Amaryl, I'm afraid. Also, it's been a couple days, I think? Has my avatar decyphered the ledgers into something legible and profitable?

Yes on the ledgers. I'll go over those once the current situation is cleared, or I may write them up over the weekend.

QuoteAn extra question, are the magic carpets the 5x5 variants costing 20,000gp?

Yes.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on October 26, 2018, 06:23:19 AM1) Let's start with that last one! My economy and projects are assumed to advance my plot-based goals and provide anything I might wish, but specific combat-enhancing or exceptionally expensive items (those I can't easily create myself with divine powers, currently up to 4,500gp) I would need to pay for with gold. Is that correct?

Yes, essentially.

QuoteFurther, if I want an item costing 100,000gp to make, and Elle can make it, do I pay 100,000gp for it or 50,000gp?

If an NPC can make it, half price.

Quote2) Secondly, a clarification on magic items with several stacking abilities. I've done this a lot in B3, but I find myself rusty now. And when that happens, it's always a good time to reevaluate what you know.

From the SRD page on creating magical items:
QuoteMultiple Similar Abilities
For items with multiple similar abilities that don't take up space on a character's body use the following formula: Calculate the price of the single most costly ability, then add 75% of the value of the next most costly ability, plus one-half the value of any other abilities.

Multiple Different Abilities
Abilities such as an attack roll bonus or saving throw bonus and a spell-like function are not similar, and their values are simply added together to determine the cost. For items that do take up a space on a character's body each additional power not only has no discount but instead has a 50% increase in price.

I remember that when making an item with several different abilities we would have the most expensive power be paid in full as it serves as the base for the item, and every other (cheaper) additions to it had a 50% surcharge. But have we ever used the multiple similar abilities item creation rule? I'm asking because I have an idea for one, obviously, and I've seen you simply sum up all the similar components instead of either giving discounts or placing surcharges on them while tallying things up, so I'm not clear how it would work.

Generally not. Admittedly with B3 I tended to err on the side of expensive since Afina's nightmarish pixie works endless DM nightmare item creation focus made it irrelevant.

Quote3) Now, onto the specific items I'm looking into.

Cord of Dispelling. At present I have it at +7, and my goal is to advance it to +10.

Okay, seems straightforward.

QuoteRing of Wizardry. At present I have a Ring of Wizardry I through IV, and I'm wavering between slowly advancing it all the way to IX or skipping ahead and just adding one of the epic spell levels to it instead.

Okay, let's slow that down one sec. From the section that discusses the epic rings of wizardry and the formulas there:

QuoteThe formulas for certain epic magic items are noted here for reference. Any theoretical is merely a theoretical, no promise of such an item being available is implied or intended.

The market price improves by a fixed amount each spell level. This starts at 20,000 gold and increases by 10,000 gold every two levels. For example, a ring of wizardry 1 is 20,000 gold, a ring of wizardry II is 40,000 gold. At that point, the modifier rises by 10,000 to 30,000, so a ring of wizardry (III) is 70,000 gold and a ring of wizardry (IV) is 100,000 gold.

For reference, a theoretical ring of wizardry X would be 400,000 gold and a theoretical ring of wizardry XI would be 470,000 gold.

This is to remind people of yes, anything listed as a theoretical is not assumed and you should talk to me first.

That being said and my nagging duty successfully discharged, what's your reasoning here? That may help clarify what boost you really want.

QuoteBoosting the Hope Diamond with Divine Favor functionality (+3 luck to Attack and to Damage). Amusingly, the Luckstone is made with Divine Favor at the base, so presumably the CL used there is sufficient, and the weird duration of Divine Favor (1 minute) is not an issue. Do you have any formula you could provide for me to use for this? Luckstones in Balmuria have gone 20,000gp for +1, 40,000gp for +2, 80,000gp for +3 (slotless items, of course).

Okay, the bonus divine power gives and the bonus a luckstone gives are different. Which one do you want to add here? Divine favor's bonuses to the item?

QuotePearls of Power. Continuing the advance, pretty much. How much would X through XV each cost?

Spell level squared * 1000. FYI it seems to be the same formula as cloaks of resistance, only using the spell level in place of the resistance bonus. Examples:

> roll 5*5*1000
<Rei-chan> Kotono rolled : 5*5*1000 --> {25000}
> roll 9*9*1000
<Rei-chan> Kotono rolled : 9*9*1000 --> {81000}[/quote]

QuoteAegis upgrade question. It's an artifact, but can I upgrade it from +6 to +10 if I wished, for example? The artifact part is its special ability, not its AC bonus.

I'd rule you need to improve it some other way, probably something that will happen with nodes. You don't simply improve artifacts like that, generally.

I'd consider divine crafting or whatever the SDA is about making artifacts sufficient to allow directly altering them.

QuoteHow about the Bright Scale Cloak? Current version is [95,000gp]: Adds 4d10 holy damage to any breath weapon used by the wearer. What's the formula for it, if I want to turn it into a 6d10 or 8d10 or 10d10 bonus?

I don't have my notes from that long ago, so I'd have to rework it from scratch. Looking at the number it was probably fiat. Let me run some numbers later today.
<Afina> Forever.