Loot and Artifacts: Gimme!

Started by Anastasia, April 17, 2018, 02:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on June 18, 2019, 10:47:50 PM
Quote2nd Star: +1 Insight bonus to AC.

In B3 some advanced versions of those were made. I'd suggest them if you can afford the markup.

Found it in homebrew. I agree, at the minimum, the +6 is a solid investment, but beyond what I can afford at 180k. Still, that's probably what I'd aim for.

Quote3rd Star: Regenerate 1 point of damage per hour.

Pretty crappy in all truth. I'd definitely consider some sort of upgrade. Fast healing is probably too expensive, though, with the slotless modifier for ioun stones.

I agree 1hp per hour is pretty weak, but I'm not sure what a straight upgrade would be. Just more HP and drop the duration? 5hp/minute? I'm not entirely sure what would be balanced here.

Quote4th Star: +10 bonus to Spellcraft.

I'd go for a higher bonus and make it a competence bonus, as is standard for skill boosters items.

+20 Competence then, similar to the Epic Cloak of Elvenkind, at 40k in homebrew.

Quote5th Star: +2 Inspiration Points. This bonus is unique and stacks with other bonuses of a similar type. If the user does not already have Inspiration from a class ability, they do not gain any bonus from this Star.

No idea how I'd price it, but expensive.

Hmmm.. Okay, so then something more in line with the general idea of Alyssa's skill based jack of all trades build... What about allowing take 10s on skill checks with some sort of restriction? Like X/day use or at max ranks?

Quote6th Star: Evasion (as the feat)

Going to nix this one, go ahead and choose something else.

Okay... I meant this to be the solid defensive bonus one, so... What about something like... I guess Surge of Fortune as a constant? That's a round/level spell though so that'd be crazy expensive, but it's a level 5 spell so it's sorta low level. Maybe a higher level version with a bit of more bonus and something like 10 minutes/level aimed at like level 8 for the purpose of figuring costs? I dunno, could use ideas.

Quote7th Star: Spell Immunity (as the spell), except the Star uses the character's total levels as it's own CL for duration. The duration provided by this Star can be activated at will, and the full duration can be spread out through multiple uses.

I'd suggest shelling out for greater spell immunity if you can afford it. More useful.

Quote8th Star: Greater Spell Immunity (as the spell), except the Star uses the character's total levels as it's own CL for duration. The duration provided by this Star can be activated at will, and the full duration can be spread out through multiple uses.

I don't really see the point of having two doing spell immunity, I admit.

Well, I figured I could be immune to two spells, but the spell level restriction is sorta limiting. I'll go with the Greater version, but I'm lacking ideas for what to do with the other star, then.

Quote9th Star: Control Weather (as the spell). This Star grants the user the use of the spell Control Weather 3/day. Using this Star requires concentration.

Seems a little unconnected to the other stars. I don't really have any problem with it otherwise, just noting.

I agree, but I was looking for something to sorta segway into the whole Royalty and ruling an area feel of things, and that's about the only thing I could come up with. I could use ideas here, honestly.

QuoteAdditional effects: When all Nine Stars are used in conjunction, it imparts the user the additional bonus of the Energy Transformation Field. The effect is centered on the user, and the user must cast the spell to be linked with the field as well as concentrate on the effect.

Royalty bonus: If used by someone of Royalty who undergoes a ritual to bind the Stars to them, the Nine Stars transform becoming gem stones to suit the wearer and imparts the ability to dominate the area you're in (100 foot radius per CL) similar to the Planar Perinarch spell. This allows you control very nearly the fabric of the plane or prime you're in, allowing you to shape it at will. Binding the Crown to you will render it useless for anyone else until you are killed or the bond is broken.

Isn't Energy Transformation Field tremendously broken? I forget.

I'd suggest combining those two tiers of additional effects.

Combining them is easy enough to edit in, mainly just cleaning up text.

Energy Transformation Field could be easily broken, yes. I didn't see it in houserules, though, so I sorta went with it. It basically siphons off a certain number of spell levels from each spell that enters the effect. The raw version of it implies that it absorbs *all* of the spell levels, but that's pretty unreasonable in the long run, I think. So maybe something along the lines of capping how many levels per spell it can pull or making it just pull residual magic without weakening the spells that enter it? A DM call here, but the intent is to link it to something like a summoning spell or an area heal to help friendly forces.

That all being said, I like the idea but I'd suggest finding a theme and sticking closer to it. Work the theme, come up with more because right now you have a case of unfocused bonuses.

Agreed, but it was a first shot and I was hoping your input would help pear down what was a good option and not, with maybe a bit of guidance since you've made big epic magic items before and about the closest I've gotten is bolting a bunch of decent level things together. What's your ideas?
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Only commenting on theme now since that affects everything else first.

I'd suggest a theme like magic or spells for you. It's what Alyssa does and a lot of the stones work towards this as it is. Hone towards that. Things like one of the stones function as a ring of wizardry for example, or one acting as some kind of metamagic rod. Things like that. It'll be expensive though, this is looking to be a pretty grand undertaking.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Iron Dragoon

Hmm, I'll think on that. Those are good suggestions. And yes it is, but Alyssa is about to start focusing on resources anyway so building cash and stuff is about to be the focus so it's a good time.

Iron Dragoon

15k for smithing and seamstress shops.

Iron Dragoon

The Crown of the Nine Stars:

These jewels were once the prized jewels of the Efreet Royalty. They have been purified and now serve as a beacon of Good's triumph over Evil and purification.

Each of these nine jet opals function similarly to an Ioun Stone, each imparting a different effect and each floating around the user's head. When all nine are used by a single person they impart additional effects and arrange themselves in a manner resentment of a ruler's crown.

1st Star: +1 CL.
2nd Star: +6 Insight bonus to AC.
3rd Star: +75 Temporary HP for 1 round per character level, usable 3/day
4th Star: +20 competence bonus to Spellcraft.
5th Star: Functions as a Ring of Wizardry 1-4
6th Star: Enemy Detection (as the Rod)
7th Star: Greater Metamagic Quicken (as the Rod)
8th Star: Greater Spell Immunity (as the spell), except the Star uses the character's total levels as it's own CL for duration. The duration provided by this Star can be activated at will, and the full duration can be spread out through multiple uses.
9th Star: Functions as a Ring of Wizardry 5-9

Additional effects: When all Nine Stars are used in conjunction, it imparts the user the additional effect bonuses of the Rod of Absorption, except that by completing a 24 hour ritual, it's storage potential can be recharged. If used by someone of Royalty, the Nine Stars imparts the abilities of the Rod of Rulership, except the save is equal to the highest unused spell available to the user.

Anastasia

First of all, since you're mimicking Ioun Stones, I'll paste a few of the custom ones Kascha's made and how the math worked out on that.

Kascha has 31695.4+13603.63=45300.03 gold. She's spending that to make a custom magical item. She's going to take a phylactery of undead turning and turn it into an ioun stone. But first she's going to build a wilding clasp into it so it works while in her alternate form. Additionally, she wants it to affect phoenix cry. RAW it doesn't since phoenix cry isn't channel energy, but it's a fairly minor distinction. I'll call that a small add on to even it out.

The base item is 11000 gold. A wilding clasp is +4000 gold for 15000. I'll call the add on for working with phoenix cry to be 3000 gold. 18000 gold. The price is doubled since ioun stone. 36000 gold.

Ioun Stone, Red Teardrop

This ioun stone strengthens the wearer's channel energy ability, increasing the dice from it by 2d6. This ioun stone works even if the wearer is in an alternate form and also applies to a phoenix's phoenix cry ability. Moderate necromancy; Craft Wondrous Item. CL 10th. Spells used: hallow. 36000 gold

---

Kascha has 677.4+67,018=67695.4 gold. She'll spend 36k (steam pixie discount, ignore for the sake of this) on a white sphere ioun stone. This can be invoked to cast mass heal (CL 20th) once per day as a standard action. The formula's below. The spell is centered on Kascha and she can choose the other targets at the time of casting. 31695.4 gold left. She'll hold on to the rest for now. She's probably get another item or two soon, but not right this moment.

Base price of a use-activated magic item is spell level*caster level*2000.

9*20*2000=360000 gold.

It's only usable once per day, so that results in the price being divided by 5.

360000/5=72000 gold.

However, an ioun stone has a x2 price multiplier.

72000*2=144000 gold.

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on June 19, 2019, 11:33:42 PM
The Crown of the Nine Stars:

These jewels were once the prized jewels of the Efreet Royalty. They have been purified and now serve as a beacon of Good's triumph over Evil and purification.

Each of these nine jet opals function similarly to an Ioun Stone, each imparting a different effect and each floating around the user's head. When all nine are used by a single person they impart additional effects and arrange themselves in a manner resentment of a ruler's crown.

1st Star: +1 CL.

No need to mention purification, I'd go with uncursed if you want accuracy. If you don't, carry on.

Ring of Arcane Might is 40k, so 80k after the modifier for Ioun Stones.

Quote2nd Star: +6 Insight bonus to AC.

90000 gold, 180k after ioun stone doubler.

Quote3rd Star: +75 Temporary HP for 1 round per character level, usable 3/day

There's no clear guidance on this sort of thing, but this was purchased by Kascha in B3.

Ioun Stone, Brass Lozenge

Three times per day as a standard action, this ioun stone can be drawn on to grant 20 temporary hit points. Moderate necromancy; Craft Wondrous Item. CL 10th. Spells used: false life. 48200 gold.[/quote]

Expensive, not sure how expensive. I'd peg it very gutshot around 150k?

Quote4th Star: +20 competence bonus to Spellcraft.

40k base and 80k after doubler.

Quote5th Star: Functions as a Ring of Wizardry 1-4

295k. Rings of wizardry start expensive and get more expensive fast.

Quote6th Star: Enemy Detection (as the Rod)

47k after the ioun stone doubler.

Quote7th Star: Greater Metamagic Quicken (as the Rod)

Quicken rods are banned, so please select something else.

Quote8th Star: Greater Spell Immunity (as the spell), except the Star uses the character's total levels as it's own CL for duration. The duration provided by this Star can be activated at will, and the full duration can be spread out through multiple uses.

96k, probably should be jacked up some for the CL adjuster and splitting up the duration. Also needs to set what spells it wards against on the first using of the day, I think.

Quote9th Star: Functions as a Ring of Wizardry 5-9

Hooooo boy.

3.02 million. Yeah, Rings of Wizardry 5 and up are epic magic items. They get expensive fast.

QuoteAdditional effects: When all Nine Stars are used in conjunction, it imparts the user the additional effect bonuses of the Rod of Absorption, except that by completing a 24 hour ritual, it's storage potential can be recharged. If used by someone of Royalty, the Nine Stars imparts the abilities of the Rod of Rulership, except the save is equal to the highest unused spell available to the user.

For the sake of rough and tumble math here, I'm going to just say that's 200k for now. That' snot the final price, but for the sake of getting a rough tally up.

4148000 is the very rough total I have, most of that from the epic ring of wizardry combo.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

If I cut it out here, I'm good with keeping it.

Quote from: Anastasia on June 20, 2019, 09:58:12 PM
No need to mention purification, I'd go with uncursed if you want accuracy. If you don't, carry on.

Ring of Arcane Might is 40k, so 80k after the modifier for Ioun Stones.

I just hadn't gotten around to cleaning up the uncursed thing since I figured it'd go through a few more iterations.

Why is this 80k when there's the Orange Prism stone for 30k on the SRD website? All I'm doing is mimicing that?

Quote3rd Star: +75 Temporary HP for 1 round per character level, usable 3/day

There's no clear guidance on this sort of thing, but this was purchased by Kascha in B3.

Ioun Stone, Brass Lozenge

Three times per day as a standard action, this ioun stone can be drawn on to grant 20 temporary hit points. Moderate necromancy; Craft Wondrous Item. CL 10th. Spells used: false life. 48200 gold.

Expensive, not sure how expensive. I'd peg it very gutshot around 150k?[/quote]

That's fine, seems like something I'd still pursue at that price range.

Quote5th Star: Functions as a Ring of Wizardry 1-4

295k. Rings of wizardry start expensive and get more expensive fast.

Oof. Yeah. Um. Other suggestions for this? Maybe a Lantern of Reavealing. Possibly an Epic version if it's not effective at our level? If not... Maybe a Mirror of Opposition type deal?

Quote7th Star: Greater Metamagic Quicken (as the Rod)

Quicken rods are banned, so please select something else.

What about something like a Horn of Valhalla, except for some other creature? I'm not entirely sure what would be appropriate for Alyssa, RP-wise, so I could use suggestions?

96k, probably should be jacked up some for the CL adjuster and splitting up the duration. Also needs to set what spells it wards against on the first using of the day, I think.

I'm good with that.

Quote9th Star: Functions as a Ring of Wizardry 5-9

Hooooo boy.

3.02 million. Yeah, Rings of Wizardry 5 and up are epic magic items. They get expensive fast.

Okay, what about something that mimics the power from Initiate of Mystra? Maybe 1/day use?

QuoteAdditional effects: When all Nine Stars are used in conjunction, it imparts the user the additional effect bonuses of the Rod of Absorption, except that by completing a 24 hour ritual, it's storage potential can be recharged. If used by someone of Royalty, the Nine Stars imparts the abilities of the Rod of Rulership, except the save is equal to the highest unused spell available to the user.

For the sake of rough and tumble math here, I'm going to just say that's 200k for now. That' snot the final price, but for the sake of getting a rough tally up.

4148000 is the very rough total I have, most of that from the epic ring of wizardry combo.

Good with that.

Corwin

Question about Ring of Arcane Might. Would it stack with the Orange Ioun Stone (for arcane casting), or is it one or the other?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Lemme check.

The Ioun Stone is +1 caster level, period.

The Ring of Arcane Might is +1 arcane caster level for some things.

RAW they'd stack, it's two untyped bonuses.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Moore, post what you traded away for reference.

Syllen's Ring

This ring grants a +5 deflection bonus to armor class.

If worn with Syllen's bracers, the deflection bonus and armor bonus to armor class on the rings and bracers both rises by 1. Additionally, the wearer can cast Syllen's Switch once per day as a spell-like ability.

These abilities may improve if you find more pieces of the set.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Dusk's Requiem was traded away for this (Page 2 of this thread).

Nephrite

Nevaeaf: This ring grants the wearer damage reduction 5/-, or damage reduction 10/- if they are of the blood of the Daoin. Unlike normal types of item granted damage reduction, those with the blood of Daoin can stack this damage reduction with a permanent impenetrable damage reduction.

Kormault: A pair of black iron bracers, these turn the wearer's unarmed attacks or natural weapons into +8 keen and valorous weapons. The wearer's unarmed strikes and natural weapons also count as adamantine and epic to overcome damage reduction.

These have been handed off to Seira's team.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on June 21, 2019, 11:27:32 PM
Nevaeaf: This ring grants the wearer damage reduction 5/-, or damage reduction 10/- if they are of the blood of the Daoin. Unlike normal types of item granted damage reduction, those with the blood of Daoin can stack this damage reduction with a permanent impenetrable damage reduction.

Kormault: A pair of black iron bracers, these turn the wearer's unarmed attacks or natural weapons into +8 keen and valorous weapons. The wearer's unarmed strikes and natural weapons also count as adamantine and epic to overcome damage reduction.

These have been handed off to Seira's team.

For my own reference, what are you going to do with those, Seira?
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

QuoteWhy is this 80k when there's the Orange Prism stone for 30k on the SRD website? All I'm doing is mimicing that?

Fair point then.

QuoteOof. Yeah. Um. Other suggestions for this? Maybe a Lantern of Reavealing. Possibly an Epic version if it's not effective at our level? If not... Maybe a Mirror of Opposition type deal?

Any sort of revelation or true seeing is always popular.

QuoteWhat about something like a Horn of Valhalla, except for some other creature? I'm not entirely sure what would be appropriate for Alyssa, RP-wise, so I could use suggestions?

No problem with that. What's appropriate for Alyssa's a good question, I'd think about it and come up with something that fits.

QuoteOkay, what about something that mimics the power from Initiate of Mystra? Maybe 1/day use?

No.

<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on June 22, 2019, 07:31:29 PM
QuoteWhy is this 80k when there's the Orange Prism stone for 30k on the SRD website? All I'm doing is mimicing that?

Fair point then.

Sounds good.

QuoteOof. Yeah. Um. Other suggestions for this? Maybe a Lantern of Reavealing. Possibly an Epic version if it's not effective at our level? If not... Maybe a Mirror of Opposition type deal?

Any sort of revelation or true seeing is always popular.

Just realized I have true seeing on something else, so this would be redundant. What about a X/day Sculpt Spell thing? It's only a +1 level metamagic feat, for reference. A metamagic rod type deal-io?

QuoteWhat about something like a Horn of Valhalla, except for some other creature? I'm not entirely sure what would be appropriate for Alyssa, RP-wise, so I could use suggestions?

No problem with that. What's appropriate for Alyssa's a good question, I'd think about it and come up with something that fits.

On re-reading it, it actually kind of sucks. Only summons level 5 creatures, which is laughable and useless at this level. Unless you're willing to do some sort of *massive* upgrade to it, I think it's best to pass on it.

Complete Arcane has a Ring of Spell-Battle on page 144.

QuoteOkay, what about something that mimics the power from Initiate of Mystra? Maybe 1/day use?

No.

Okay. What about mimicing the effects of a Vest of the Archmagi?

Alternatively, what about something that enhances a class ability?