News:

Populated by the admins and moderators of your other favorite sites!

Main Menu

Loot and Artifacts: Gimme!

Started by Anastasia, April 17, 2018, 02:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corwin

Quote from: Anastasia on July 22, 2019, 10:38:49 AM
Bowl of Taking

This bowl can steal treasures from up to seven creatures per round as a full round action. It steals one object from each creature that the wielder chooses (or the most valuable otherwise, though artifacts cannot be taken by this). Items taken are absorbed into the bowl and can be retrieved with the proper command word. The bowl can hold up to 100 objects at a time.

Feel free to rename this and post so here, I gave it a generic name.

Firebond Ring

Grants a +1 bonus to the caster level of spells with the fire descriptor.

Okay! Thanks, first of all. They replace the following items on Amaryl's sheet (under Gear):

Quote[Storage]Bowl of Lost Treasures: This bowl can steal treasures from up to ten creatures at once. It steals the magic item the creature values the most (as if by a Soul's Treasure Lost spell), except they are absorbed into the bowl rather than being destroyed. With the proper command word, objects absorbed by the bowl can be freed from it.
[Storage]Shadowbond Ring: Grants a +1 bonus to caster level to spells that draw on shadows, such as shadow evocation.

I'd like the Firebond Ring, so if Amaryl could tell me how much it's worth I'll be happy to give her gold for actual purposes.
As for the Bowl, let's rename it the Bowl of Customs and put it to the defense of the Cauldron. She can use one of her followers to operate it whenever needed at the entrance, secured by the guards.

Now that I think about it, the bowl could probably be used to grab contraband too! Our portals into the Cauldron are tailored to prevent certain restricted items from traveling, I presume (and this is told upfront to any would-be travelers) but the main entrance from Astral wouldn't be regulated like that.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Okay, Elle could add cold iron or silver, but not both. The adamantine's just too deeply worked into it as it is. Your call on which, Seira.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Amaryl has 200k gold and you're her wife. You can just have the ring, she'll tap you if she needs money or an item from you.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Okay, I got interrupted on this about halfway by something I had to do: So is that it or did I miss a step, Cor?
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Should I presume that Kormault is also reforged together with Armband of the Spark? If so, do I pay a surcharge of half the Armband's price (50,000gp) which I believe is the standard item combination cost?

Can I upgrade the bracers from +8 keen valorous (+10 overall) to +10 keen deadly precision (+12 overall)? If so, should I presume the price would be half the difference of the 88,000gp cost hike from +10 to +12 (since Elle is charging me creation cost)?

Better yet, can I get the +2d6 Sneak Attack enchantment from Backstabber rather than the 1d6 from Deadly Precision? Your adjusted price of 162,000gp and the fact that a +6 nonepic weapon costs 72,000gp suggests the ability itself is priced at 90,000gp. Is that about right?

Finally, how much does Elle need to cover the addition of silver to the adamantine damage? That's my preferred extra damage type.

Corwin

Quote from: Anastasia on July 22, 2019, 10:38:49 AM
Firebond Ring

Grants a +1 bonus to the caster level of spells with the fire descriptor.

The Shadowbond Ring was priced at 25,000 gold, so should I presume this new one is likewise?

Anastasia

Moore Gift

Ring of Dragon's Due

This ring allows you to teleport to a particular room of the Silverbrow Consortium, where you'll receive 'priority service'.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

This shows me that I likely need more formalized rules for these sort of things rather than winging it. A to do is born. (DM whimpers.)

Quote from: Corwin on July 23, 2019, 12:43:18 PM
Should I presume that Kormault is also reforged together with Armband of the Spark? If so, do I pay a surcharge of half the Armband's price (50,000gp) which I believe is the standard item combination cost?

Yeah.

QuoteCan I upgrade the bracers from +8 keen valorous (+10 overall) to +10 keen deadly precision (+12 overall)? If so, should I presume the price would be half the difference of the 88,000gp cost hike from +10 to +12 (since Elle is charging me creation cost)?

No to deadly precision in place of valorous, that's not really related or an upgrade to it. Rest is fine.

QuoteBetter yet, can I get the +2d6 Sneak Attack enchantment from Backstabber rather than the 1d6 from Deadly Precision? Your adjusted price of 162,000gp and the fact that a +6 nonepic weapon costs 72,000gp suggests the ability itself is priced at 90,000gp. Is that about right?

I'm going to rule no, but also investigate the follow option in this booster pack, as the backstabbing weapon ability is highly relevant. +5 though so it's not cheap.

http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,103074.msg1093881.html#msg1093881

QuoteFinally, how much does Elle need to cover the addition of silver to the adamantine damage? That's my preferred extra damage type.

Negligible. Say 500.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Corwin

Seeking further clarifications. The focus on reforging here and in the previous post is important! Let's take the case of Kormault for a sec. It's a non-artifact. It seems to be an epic item based on price, but that only restricts work on it to those with epic crafting.

Let's say I get Kormault as a drop. I can use it as is, obviously, but I might want to upgrade it. Upgrades exist to make it last longer and to suit the user more. From the example here, the first is allowed but the second is not.

However, what if I sold Kormault after getting it as a drop? And then asked an epic craftsman to make me a notKormault magic item that cost the same amount but redesigned the secondary effects on it? So long as that other item would be approved by you (ie it's not using some banned enchantment or results in some combo that creates undesirable game effects, it's not an artifact and it doesn't replicate class features wholesale), why can't I just remake parts of the original item instead of using this pretense?

Tackling this question from a different direction, I presume I can buy Backstabber since it's in your list of approved epic magical weapons. Having bought it, would I be allowed to upgrade it from a +6 enchantment weapon to a +13 enchantment weapon or not? Would I be allowed to tack on, say, Holy on it? If the answer to all of the above is yes, what if I wanted to create a greataxe instead of a short sword that's otherwise functionally identical to Backstabber? I'm lucky in that the approved weapon is made with my favorite weapon, but should it be dependent on that luck? If you say 'yes', then okay, I'll accept your judgement. I'd just prefer it to be made clear.

Corwin

The previous post was seeking rules clarifications, this one is about the practical changes to my gear.

I'll upgrade my gear as specified for now, resulting in +10 Keen Valorous Armbands of the Spark, a pair of black armbands that turn the wearer's unarmed attacks or natural weapons into +10 keen and valorous weapons. The wearer's unarmed strikes and natural weapons also count as adamantine, silver and epic to overcome damage reduction. Further, they allow the user to channel life energy. Three times per day, they may activate that power as a swift action. For the next minute, they may deal critical hits and precision damage to creatures normally immune to such.

Paying 69,500gp for the upgrade. My fluid funds are lowered to: 32,042.25

Iron Dragoon

Returning these:

Fragment: A strange metal fragment that radiates an eternally fading aura of magic, impossible to identify and yet never fades away. No obvious value.
Witch Staff: This staff functions as a quarterstaff+6, impact. Yet it is only truly mighty when used by a witch. When it is, the witch gains her Charisma modifier as a bonus to armor class and a +2 bonus to the caster level and save DCs of any witch spells. This is a minor artifact.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Nephrite

A dozen-ish crystals from the crystal cave in Celestia.

Nephrite

All the gold nuggets from the bottom of a lake!

Anastasia

Moore loot

A dozen polished crystals
Many gold nuggets from the bottom of an underground waterway in Celestia
Lantern that sheds purple-green light.
<Afina> Forever.