News:

Because we're grown ups now, and its our turn to decide what that means.

Main Menu

What's going on with you

Started by Dracos, September 13, 2018, 12:38:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Family's staying over this week, they're between houses as they had to be out of their old one a week before the new one's ready.

Cue a week of packed awkwardness. Fun fun fun. Six people, one bathroom. No one wins.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Dracos

Got my first person to resign from a team I ran ever.  Sadness.  At least they basically just voiced no confidence in the c-suite and regretted leaving the team, but sucks.
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

Quote from: Dracos on April 13, 2019, 02:04:40 PM
Got my first person to resign from a team I ran ever.  Sadness.  At least they basically just voiced no confidence in the c-suite and regretted leaving the team, but sucks.

Sounds like it wasn't about you, at least.
<Afina> Forever.

Arakawa

Saw on FFML that Lurker is no more.

As one FFML poster aptly put it:

QuoteIT seems like a lot of cool writters have passed away before their time and will be misused

Yet sobering and sad.
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Anastasia

Always hurts to lose an old hand in that community. Sobering and sad nails it in one.
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

Back from florida.  Having trouble staying up late or getting up at a reasonable time (not 5 am).  Bleeeeh.

Was great seeing family though.  Good to see both my sis and dad are doing well.
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

Glad to hear, especially with how things have been. Older or younger sister, by the way?
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

Younger sister.  She's doing so much house stuff, it's kind of a bit impressive.
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

Aaaaah. That sounds good for her, she doing the whole house and kids routine, sounds like?
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

Nope.  Shame since I'm kind of unlikely to.  Not gonna have any nephews or nieces to spoil.  Maybe her and her fiancee will change their mind at some point.  She is just doing the house and fix up house routine.  proud house and all.
Well, Goodbye.

Jason_Miao

I built my own sofa today.

The company Lovesac, which got started selling premium beanbags, went into modular seating years ago.  They sell you "sactionals": seat bases and sides.  You decide how you're going to put them together, so you can build your own sofa, reconfigure it into a bed, or separate chairs.  They also sell you covers for those parts. 

The plan is, you order your parts + covers, they ship them to you, you put the covers onto the parts, clamp'em together, and you have your contemporary seating.  It almost works the way it should.

The tricky bit it putting on the covers.  Here's the promo video of the CEO who shows how it's supposed to be done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl3GDW-FBWE addresses how to cover 3 of the parts. 

Here's my reaction:
0:20 seat frame: Explanation is a bit overblown.  Just make sure that the holes at the top line up, because you have to put clamps into them later.  If you totally want perfection, sure, but if you're trying to build something workable and doesn't look too horrible, you can slightly cut corners.

1:22 seat cushions: It's a pillow.  The instructions printed on the box are pretty apt.  This is not rocket science.  Taking a little care to place the corners would not be amiss so you don't have large parts of flappy cover off to the side, but this is not hard.

3:20 sides: THIS MAN IS A LYING LIAR WHO LIES.  "Just pull down the covers both sides about 4-5 inches at a time."  No.  More like, an inch or two at a time, and if it goes a half-centimeter wide (as usually happens around 75% of the way down), start over because you're not going to be able to fix it.  It also helps if you're a cyborg and have a spare set of hands ready for replacement, since you'll have worn through your set of current hands trying to ease on those side covers.

Washable/Swappable covers is one lovesac selling point, and all I can say is that I'm glad I went with leather.  Because honestly, there's no way I would have been able to wash those covers had they been cloth - those side covers are NOT coming off.

The sofa+chaise itself turned out pretty well.  Not quite factory-assembly quality, and not quite the "Nailed it" meme.  Actually putting the pieces together was fun.  Think legos about half to 3/4 your size, and you have the general feeling.  It's bulky enough that you're not going to reconnect your pieces every week, but very doable if you need to do it.

Anyway, that was my day.  In DC, it's as hot and humid as DC.