News:

"I stand humbled by your vast My Little Pony knowledge."

Main Menu

What's going on with you

Started by Dracos, September 13, 2018, 12:38:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

So we are mostly a light chatter alongside RPs and other things these days.  Most conversation being in either bitching or appreciation, with ocassional sharing of good stuff at sort of a more subdued capacity than years past.

I admit sometimes I cross my own board these days with...nothing really to say that fits in that.  So, a thread just to talk about your day, or whatnot.  Not really a blog, but for those who may want to just chatter a bit about how things are going in their life without a 'go read my facebook' or something.
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

Good idea.

I was dozing at the computer when I saw this. I'd turned on a Mario Maker video, which is usually a great way for me to fall asleep at the computer. I like Mario Maker, it's very soothing in its way. Nostalgic and pleasant, you know? It's a good thing to fall asleep sitting up, since my shoulder doesn't always like laying on it and I wake up in pain if I do.

Not much else going on right now, I'll toss a post here in earnest tomorrow. For now I need sleep.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

KLSymph

For the last few weeks, I've been practicing making handmade udon noodles. Just now I think I finally got the process down pretty well.

Anastasia

Quote from: KLSymph on September 13, 2018, 02:04:21 AM
For the last few weeks, I've been practicing making handmade udon noodles. Just now I think I finally got the process down pretty well.

That sounds neat. What's involved in the process?
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

Huh, that does sound neat.  I am so lazy about cooking.

Been back into stardew valley, and watching AMVs myself. 

A very https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA3bP7PiC9c
Well, Goodbye.

Arakawa

Ditching graduate school and getting a Real Job again was the right decision so far. The work itself is more sensible and I have more time and less anxiety to do other stuff. Also, the petty politics in grad school was... yuck. I think I posted about it at one point.

Starting to re-develop hobbies, tried speaking Japanese to Japanese people (lots of Japanese people in Toronto nowadays), bit of writing.

Quote from: KLSymph on September 13, 2018, 02:04:21 AM

Any reason you picked handmade udon in particular?

(For some reason an archetype in Japan seems to go along the lines of "retired bank functionary opens a soba shop to pass the time".)
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Anastasia

Sounds pretty solid, Drac. I'm doing DM work, but when am I not doing DM work?

That aside, I'm not doing much. Very much a mentally absent day, an unplanned day off so my mind is drifting. Getting in some Complex Doom: Clusterfuck, which is a fun and crazy Doom mod. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykPRoCN6nic
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Arakawa on September 13, 2018, 04:18:42 PM
Ditching graduate school and getting a Real Job again was the right decision so far. The work itself is more sensible and I have more time and less anxiety to do other stuff. Also, the petty politics in grad school was... yuck. I think I posted about it at one point.

You did, glad to hear you got out of there and landed on your own two feet.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Not much here. Work and school. Down to one class for graduation and I'm in my third semester for Blacksmithing.

Got offered a job to be a demonstrator Blacksmith during holidays/events at a local heritage museum. Probably going to jump on it. Good weekend filler thingy.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Dracos

Quote from: Anastasia on September 13, 2018, 04:45:18 PM

You did, glad to hear you got out of there and landed on your own two feet.

Cheers for that.  Grad school can really be kind of a trap.
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on September 13, 2018, 07:33:52 PM
Not much here. Work and school. Down to one class for graduation and I'm in my third semester for Blacksmithing.

Got offered a job to be a demonstrator Blacksmith during holidays/events at a local heritage museum. Probably going to jump on it. Good weekend filler thingy.

Pretty cool.  Still sucks you're not getting to use your air mechanic skills. 
Well, Goodbye.

KLSymph

Quote from: Anastasia on September 13, 2018, 01:03:31 PM
That sounds neat. What's involved in the process?

It's very simple. Mix flour, salt, water. Knead into dough. Let dough sit covered for an hour, then flatten with and fold a few times. Flatten into a sheet, then cut it into strips. Dust with flour so it doesn't stick together. Cook by tossing into boiling water for ~7-10 minutes, or refrigerate. Here's the video tutorial that I recommend. Although a lot of Youtube videos have various extraneous steps, like the whole "knead with your feet thing to be traditional" thing that I don't want to do. Even my linked video asks that you dissolve the salt in water, which as far as I can tell makes no difference versus just mixing it with the flour before adding the water. And every tutorial says cover the dough in plastic wrap or ziploc, when putting in a bow with a lid seems to do the job.

The only part that I was tripping up on was water to flour ratio, since this was the first time I've really worked with dough. I was trying to get a dough that isn't sticky and clammy (and looks like the videos) but it turns out I was using too little water so the dough was extremely stiff and flattening it took a lot of force, and cooking it left the inside still raw. Once I finally iterated to a wet enough dough and just got over the messy dough on my hands, it all worked out.

Any reason you picked handmade udon in particular? (For some reason an archetype in Japan seems to go along the lines of "retired bank functionary opens a soba shop to pass the time".)

I want to learn recipes that I enjoy at restaurants so I can spend less money eating out (currently I can sear a decent steak as well, but that's about as far as I've gotten). I've tried a few Japanese recipes, and I can't say I'm too successful. Udon is very simple and needs no exotic ingredients. It's also a reasonable entry point into making pasta.

As for the archetype, I dunno, I hear that noodle shops are a ton of work.

Yeah, I've been watching so many cooking videos.

Anastasia

That video's pretty awesome plus it made me want pasta.

---

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on September 13, 2018, 07:33:52 PM

How many more semesters do you have in blacksmithing, Iddy?
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on September 14, 2018, 10:57:19 AM

Well, as many as I want, really. But two more until I'm considered at Apprentice level, which basically means I can do a range of simple things by myself.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on September 15, 2018, 04:08:37 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on September 14, 2018, 10:57:19 AM

Well, as many as I want, really. But two more until I'm considered at Apprentice level, which basically means I can do a range of simple things by myself.

Makes sense. Sounds like a lot of hands on learning for it, really like an apprenticeship.
<Afina> Forever.