News:

"I sense a soul in search of answers.  I shalt eat him."

Main Menu

The Grand Sultan

Started by Anastasia, November 02, 2018, 05:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

"I do not," The Grand Sultan says, "We are at an impasse."
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

"Do you understand what it means to turn Fire into a second front for a planar conflict?" Seira asks the Sultan. "What the cost in lives will be for the efreet? There may not be enough to be called a species afterwards. And as for your natural allies? Avernus had sent troops to support the devil regime on Lifasa, and Lifasa was liberated, while the Bronze Citadel had a change of owners. Even if the devils were eager to split their forces for another adventure so soon on the heels of that defeat, it will end exactly the same way. And it will all happen because you've escalated, Sir. You've done it with your retaliation strikes against Celestia, and again on the diplomatic front with your offer. If we leave here without an accord, even suing for peace later on may no longer be possible, whether because those you bring over to your side will co-opt the war or because after so much bloodshed, stopping short of our goal may well be unthinkable to some. And what of your own plans with Eblis? They will not proceed, not with this war, even if Shar sits things out and doesn't bother you. A personal cost to pay, along with the one made by your people."

Seira shakes her head slowly. "And all that for what? For us, freedom is one of the most exalted values, yet for the efreet owning a sentient is merely convenience. A business decision. A nod to tradition, true, but plenty traditions have changed with the times. New comforts are adapted in a flash. We live in palaces rather than travel across the land as nomads, staying in humble tents. We employ useful magic equally, whether modern or ancient. Your own views, expressed earlier, stated your lack of moral strings and a freedom to act as you will. What ties you to this course of action, then? This course, which will be terrible for us, and apocalyptic for you? One, which could be avoided if you took the right step in this moment in history, and abolished a tradition that no longer fits in today's Creation?"
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

"Enough!"

The Grand Sultan's voice booms across the room, silencing your words.

"I extend a hand in friendship and diplomacy to you, Seira! Yet you come here and dictate terms, speak of my destruction and refuse to engage in my negotiations in earnest. You tell me to become a puppet to your interests and expect me to thank you for it!" Rising, the Grand Sultan says, "You know why others have not succeeded at the very goal you champion? They fail, Seira. They challenge us and fail."
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"You knew our goals from the very beginning," Seira responds, her own words resonating across the room without being needlessly loud. "You insulted us with your proposal, and refused our own offer of friendship. You further insulted me with a bribe, which I chose to ignore out of respect for the negotiations." She rises herself. "So be it. I make you this promise, Marrake. I will fight with everything I have, bring every ally to the table, and will not rest until the evil of slavery has been eradicated from Fire."

Turning towards Barachiel, she says, "We have nothing further to seek here."

Anastasia

"Then I promise you this: Your head will adorn the spikes outside of the City of Brass," The Grand Sultan says, "Go."

Lady Honeydip, perhaps wisely silent throughout all of this, rises. But she looks back, "Pixies held back the Abyss. What will a dragon and an angel do to Fire?"
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Seira is ready to follow Barachiel's lead on their withdrawal, albeit she looks in on Elle and lets her proxy know that negotiations have broken down and to be prepared to head for their ride.

Anastasia

Barachiel turns to meet the Grand Sultan's gaze, the two saying nothing for a time. Finally Barachiel says, "You understand now that Seira is steel as we all are. She will not melt in the flames of your wrath." He turns to go, leaving the Sultan behind.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Until we meet again, my friend Seira tells Barachiel, before she and Lady Honeydip are transported over to Elle. Then, it is another transport to their vehicle. It turns out that she didn't get that chance to socialize after all, though given the Grand Sultan brought over terrible people that's not much of a loss.

Anastasia

Okay, I'm going to start you three in a new thread shortly.
<Afina> Forever.